life drawing advice

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

life drawing advice

Dont know if this is the best place to ask this but here goes...

I have my first life drawing class in a few days. Im pretty nervous about it but also excited. Been looking through some posts and notice charcoal is used alot. All i have is just now is an A4 sketchbook and pencils and pens. I might have some time to buy some new things for Tuesday but im a wee bit lost as to what I should be getting.

Also any tips? I have a feeling Im just going to freeze and not draw anything.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i would get some charcoal and newsprint, and work LARGE dont do little 6 inch people... that wont teach u as much as doing it large will. otherwise, just be loose and KEEP DOING IT. It might not work out for u so well this first sitting, or even the next few, but once u keep doing it, itll get a ton better, and ur drawing from imagination will also get better. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanks Sweetpea.

Silly question though. Whats newsprint?
    Ill post up my life drawings if anyone is interested once I go. Not used charcoal since high school so I know just the medium will through be back.

I just keep thinking of the Father Ted episode where they do life drawing. Haha. Blank paper indeed.

Thanks
    Personally I preferred Conte when I was in school and also manilla paper instead of newsprint. But that's personal preference.

Thanks
    I would suggest a set of 12 Staedtler pencils. They range from 8B to 2H and are perfect for life drawing.

I word of advice. When your class starts make yourself comfortable and then totally relax. Empty your mind of everything then simply look at your figure. Do not tense up your hand or arm, just let things happen naturally.

Remember that there are no two artists in the world that do things or see things exactly the same. Each artist is unique with different styles and different levels of skill. Art is the one discipline where there are no competitors and the only person you have to satisfy is yourself. Do your best and that is all anyone can ask of themself.

You will do great if you allow yourself to. Good luck!

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    just posted this in another thread, might as well copy paste it here.

with a light hand..

step 1. draw in the line of action, the main thrust of the pose. Its just an angle line that the figure is in.

step 2. Mark of the top of the head and the bottom of the feet, that way you can fit the entire figure on your paper, or at least get closer to it. Its always sad to have a good figure going only to find out you didn't leave enough room to fit in the head, or feet.

step 3. Mark off the middle point, that way your proportions can only get so off, if you know what needs to fit in the top half you wont make it go into the bottom half.

Step 4. lightly mark off the notational space, its the imaginary box surrounding the figure. This can be just 4 points marking the corners, but it will give you a guide to stay in.

Step 5. Draw the figure don't worry about anatomy too much or shading, think basic shapes forms ect. when you have those in place then you can start worrying about what the surface anatomy looks like, or how the light is effecting the form.

or ignore all that and just get used to drawing a live model in front of you, then when you are frustrated about something refer to steps 1-5 )

oh and use your horizontals and drop your verticals, see what lines up. you can also do this with your diagonals.

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Try to remind yourself periodically to draw from the shoulder--it will keep you from getting caught up in the tiny details and focus on developing the figure as a whole.

Also, remember to back away from your paper frequently to check your proportions. Squint your eyes when observing the model and it will eliminate some of the distracting details.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    First off, check out this thread - someone asked for advice about going to their first life drawing session, and there's a whole bunch of people giving tips (starting about the middle of the second page) - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183210

Charcoal isn't mandatory unless you've got a teacher who's making you use it. Personally I loathe the stuff (though you should probably try it sometime, some people end up liking it.) My own preference is Ebony pencils and woodless pencils or graphite sticks, especially soft ones - they come in a range of sizes, so you can get pencil-sized woodless pencils for normal drawing and big fat graphite sticks for filling in broad tones. Although any large soft pencils will work fine. Any sketching or drawing paper will work fine, too, but big pads are better because it's easier to fit the whole figure on them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't think anyone answered this question.

Newsprint is just cheap brownish paper that comes in large pads you can get at just about any art store. They're used in life drawing because you're typically doing allot of large quick drawings and it's better to blaze through a pad of newsprint than more expensive paper. The color also allows you to use white and newsprint takes charcoal well. Most teachers will give a supply list of what you'll need.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmorris View Post
    I don't think anyone answered this question.

Newsprint is just cheap brownish paper that comes in large pads you can get at just about any art store. They're used in life drawing because you're typically doing allot of large quick drawings and it's better to blaze through a pad of newsprint than more expensive paper. The color also allows you to use white and newsprint takes charcoal well. Most teachers will give a supply list of what you'll need.
    Newsprint is kind of like the stuff newspapers are printed on. So it's actually greyish, not brown, at least over here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RyerOrdStar View Post
    Newsprint is kind of like the stuff newspapers are printed on. So it's actually greyish, not brown, at least over here.
    It is gray. Same as the newspaper. I'm just retarded.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.