Sketchbook: Victrix Patientia Duris. The 90 Sketchbook challenge! 1 down 89 to go! - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EDIT:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looking good BUT REALLY STAY AWAY FROM DOING THE STYLE OF THAT SKULL.. STOP IT FOOL (there we go)
    on the third page watch out for when the arm joins with the torso beacause it looks a litlle thin but overall looking good so keep at it
    james

Last edited by guitarjames; September 4th, 2006 at 05:38 PM.
    idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man!

Looking very nice! Keep it up

(yeah im in hurry)

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guitarjames THATS BETTER! YAY! anyway, thanks for the crit, come again soon! lol

Dile thanks man haha i forgive you.

Last edited by Crane; September 7th, 2006 at 06:04 AM.
    Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude! I love that style you have going. I guess you could call it "babyish", but remember content counts for that kinda stuff. I don't think you could consider the cute kitty babyish if you were to draw it with, say half of it's skull exsposed... yeah.
    Sorry, I've always been a fan of cute things in horrific situations. Used to draw that kinda stuff myself. Best way to get a new style is just to stop drawing it really. Though I have yet to find my style and it seems I can't draw anything unless I'm looking at it...

*edit*
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCat
    Derram You gotta grow into it, noone got good by complaining and feeling sorry for themselves man. just draw draw draw draw, if you still haven't improved by the time your 18 then i'll let you complain lol.
    Someone hasn't check out my profile... Trust me, my bitching is more than justified age wise. But thats another thing I'm getting over, no time to worry about that, I gotta draw after all.

Last edited by Derram; September 4th, 2006 at 12:48 PM.
    Sketchbook

Quote Originally Posted by Julianna
    Wow, I might as well have said "I am working on a book urging the beating to death of baby whales using the dead bodies of baby seals."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomystudies look great man! Nice clean lines! Keep those up and try to use that knowledge in you stuff from imagination. How's the PK'ing these days?

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo madcat, get ready for teh crits from teh internets ppl!
    Ok-
    The thing i notice, beside the anime style, is the weak rendering.
    The best way to improve is observational studies and work from ref.THE BEST WAY!
    It builds up your perception of light, darks, contrast and 3d sense.
    If you want to drop the cartooony stuff, do ref stuff.
    When you hit realism, anime seems so boring, and you wont want to draw cartoons all day long.
    KEEP up the anatomy, keep drawing, 2 hours a day, no questions asked.
    DRAW, DRAW, DRAW..improve, improve,improve.
    Before you notice it, youll be leagues better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dCepT Hey man, thanks, i keep meaning to do a remberstudy of anatomy, sheesh, and i STILL need to draw from that pic of yours hehe, i'm so lazy. PKs good, i can reverse vault now, oh yeah, i'm 1337 now haha. how about you?

blanquish hey, i'll always have a love for anime (well drawn anime of course) but thanks for picking up on the poor rendering i'll get working on that, though i'm working on lines and where everything goes at the mo, i can render something i don't understand hu haha, thanks man.

some comic things i did this morning, kinda random, off to do some anatomy studies now. enjoy my crap!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHA, That first one was awsome man, the second... yeah. I think it needs a transition between panels.. I gots a thought for ya though. On the last panel, second page that open mouth smile, try making the hole for the throat a little smaller, and only a half circle. And, yep thats the style I likes right there, great stuff.

Sketchbook

Quote Originally Posted by Julianna
    Wow, I might as well have said "I am working on a book urging the beating to death of baby whales using the dead bodies of baby seals."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Derram well they are all different stories... if that.. in a rather cramped space so it looks like all one story.. and i see wat you mean about the throat hole, thanks for pointing it out.
    i'll make some more comics, just for you! lol. i'm hoping to make better comics with at least some nice rendering going on, bit more serious grown up art too.

anyway, two pics of sleletons, blah blah blah.

Last edited by Crane; February 13th, 2008 at 01:16 PM.
    Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo, yo, yo, Just dropping in on your sketchbook and one thing i must say is that comic is pretty damn good the art style is very consistent and you write pretty well. Definitely keep that going. Now on your skeleton sketches try to maybe work on seperate pieces of the skeleton, like arms, skull, ribcage instead of all together. Good start but the proportions are a little off. The angle on the second one was a tuffy but you pretty much nailed it keep on drawing bro.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, just dropping by. The cute stuff is looking good all though it does feel slightly forced. Maybe because you are still feeling your way around and working on getting more comfortable with it. Also, the facial emotions don't have to be so varied from frame to frame. A good start though.
    As for cute but morbid humour (involving videogames in this case), check out VG cats:
    http://www.vgcats.com

In regards to real life drawing, keep it up, good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sorry to hear about you college per-dick-ament. You know, there are two types of people in the world: those that don't need to go to college because they are already good and those that need to go to college to get better...maybe you can be the latter? Look on the bright side...now you have CRAP lodes of time to improve!

About your art:
    I somewhat disagree with ashrumm comment. It is good to study indivisual pieces when you don't understand them in a 360 degrees but if you just sudy parts you will not get better in seeing how they relate to one another. Understand? If you want to get better at drawing a bone...draw a bone but if you want to undertand the skeleton...draw the skeleton. Try testing yourself more to improve faster...that's my best advice.

Anyway, take it with a grain of salt.

oh, if you're looking to do art with other people there is always open canvas?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on the skeletal studies.

Love the comics.

~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashrumm hey thanks for dropping by, glad ya liked my comic haha, kinda random hu, i think i'll draw both full skeleton and single bones, hows that? lol thanks man.

Decker just the guy i wanted to see, yea maybe it is just me easing into the style, if i need any help i'll come to you haha. i was half practicing with facial expressions aswell, but i'll bare that in mind. I already read vgcats, but thanks anyway, good resource too. thanks alot

Nyx702 i never went to college to learn art, just to make friends and have something to do, always been self taught, i even got a e in art because i never went to the right class, because all the kids were assholes. now i'm moving to blackpool, hoping i can maybe get a space somewhere.
    i agree with you on the skeleton thing, i'm just gunna study everything to make it easier haha. thanks dude ps, i can never get anywhere with OC

Oregano hey thanks man, glad another person loved them haha.

Attention i'm movingto blackpool so i dunno how long i will be offline, but when i come back on, i should have loads of drawings. cya guys whenever.

Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool comics and nice skeleton studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice man i really like the skeletons. mayby try to adapt the ligne weight to the amont of light. so heavier on the shadow side and lighter on the lighter side etc...

SSG 33

-|Nyx|-|Ostrander|- |(c)|-|Machineabuse|-|Anthriel|-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice skeleton studies. Maybe be more conscious and careful of the shading, to really make the bones look like volumes. Sorry to hear about the college business.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your stuff! Nice style I'll stop by later to give a more proper crit but I'm a bit in a hurry now. So talk to you later!

-Juhani

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good lookin' out on the studies! Lines are good, but you could do with some more time spent on the shading.. You could just put your pencil down flat and put down the planes... that way it'll go pretty fast while it looks less scribbly... like your shading does a bit now.

Anyways... sorry to hear about college and all!... hope everything is ok in the middle of nowhere, UK Give us updates when you get online again!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the replies and stuff peoples,
    i'm just coming to let ya k know all i have is crappy dial up and no scanner, so i can't update anytime soon, sorry
    i have made a 500+ page SB though, hopefully i'll fill lots of it and when i can up0date you'll get lots of art. !
    thanks again guys and gals

Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking forward to seeing some sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just popped by to check out your comic type thang....like it dude, you have a talent for cool lil characters-my one criticism would be that the hand written text doesn't do the images justice...the curvey letters take away from the cool graphicness....not a big crit, but I think that getting a more regimented typeographical style would make the pages even sweeter!...lookin forward to more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I enjoy your hogarth studies immensely. You have very dynamic lines and good imagination. hope to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dave
    thanks for dropping in, noones been here since like last year haha, i have no means of updating! hopefully should soonish though, glad you like my comic though, its fairly old, started a new one with better characters. ok the text, something thats been bugging me forever, i continue to hate my writing no matter what, what can i do with it?, is it just a simple as studying different fonts and styles?

ped454 why thank you man!. happy to hear it, i've done alot more, but sadly no way of getting them here... i'll try figure something out..

Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man....well I hope you get some way of rocking some more stuff up soon....I did some quick notes just to illustrate my point, hope you don't mind.....

People tell me I got pretty writing....some people say I write like a girl, but I think they generally mean I don't write like a retard anyhoo I did a quick bubble in my girly writing just to illustrate one direction you could go in. I don't think the problem is that your using a handwritten style....there are plenty of comics that use this, its that some of the letters are a little wonky (see those wonderfull red lines I drew). Another thing is that some of the curves of your y's and at the bottom of the d's dont sit too well. I dont think you need to study too much typography...mabe just try getting the type a little more regimented....look at some comics you like the writting stlye of and do your own take on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh sweet! thanks dave, you do have very nice writing, i'm green with envy! haha, be really, thanks for that little..'wordover' ? i see what you mean with the curves, they have always bothered me, i think i totally slaughtered my writing because i change it so much, now i have completed mixed handwriting, which includes the stuff there, and something that looks like da vinci's writing (The Da Vinci code got me obsessed with it) i'm gonna take your advice and see if i can make it right haha, don't mind if i study yours a little do you?

Tony

Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha-go for it, not sure im the greatest example of typographical goodness but whatever works for ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

Thanks for checking out my Sketchbook, always nice to see other brits kicking around this site :-)
    Some really nice stuff in here, good to see you studying from Hogarth! As everyone has probably told you before - practice practice practice. Never sounds like much fun though :-P Don't be afraid of using other people's artwork as reference to draw from too, it can often be a good way of finding out what you like about certain images.

Keep it up dude, post more!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those skeletons are kinda much out of proportions, aren't they?
    Also, the anatomy around the mouth region looks pretty wrong.

But apart from those two pointers I like them very much

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    baha boobs and spaceships, your comics are hella cool mate long time no talk, hows life?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10