Keeping Painter 6 through Painter X.1 Running Smoothly, Updated February 6, 2008

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Keeping Painter 6 through Painter X.1 Running Smoothly, Updated February 6, 2008

PLEASE NOTE: If you have technical questions and problems with Corel Painter or want to submit requests and suggestions for enhancements to Corel Painter, the best place to do that is at The PainterFactory, Corel's Painter community forum site. The Corel Painter development team will read your posts and when they have the time, may also respond to your posts:

The PainterFactory

Click Painter Discussion at the top of the page, then:

• Post technical questions and problem reports in the Got a Question/Technical Issue/Bug Report for the Painter Team? forum.
    • Post requests and suggestions for enhancments in the Suggestion Box forum.

There's lots more to enjoy at The PainterFactory, so do yourself a favor and take time to explore the site.
    [*]Post topics related to general understanding and use of your Painter version in the appropriate forum, either Corel Painter 11, Corel Painter X - Last Version, or Painter Past - Earlier Versions

Thanks!

Jinny

Hi folks,

Since the subject comes up so often and my fingers are screaming at me that they've typed these words so many times before, here are some things that should help you keep Painter 6 through Painter X.1 running more smoothly. They won't answer every possible problem, but they're basic and worth doing in any case.

Painter 6 through Painter X.1, with more complex brush variants and multiple Layer types, are particularly processor intensive and use a lot of memory. There are some things you can do to help make Painter run more smoothly, though.

1. In all versions that include this option, go to Preferences > General and uncheck the Draw zoomed out views using area-averaging box.

2. In Painter X and Painter X.1, to speed up performance, go to Preferences > General and uncheck the Enhanced Brush Ghost box.

3. Lower the number of days Painter auto-saves scripts (the maximum allowed is 10 days):

Edit > Preferences > General

In the Auto Save Scripts for [ ] Days box, type 2 days.

4. Lower the number of Undo's if you have it set to the maximum of 32, to the lowest number you can live with:

Edit > Preferences > Undo

4. in Painter 6 and Painter 7, make sure the Maximum Memory for Painter box is checked:

In Painter 6 and 7: Edit > Preferences > Windows (not sure what this Preferenced tab named is for Macs)

In Painter 8: Edit > Preferences > Operating System

In Painter IX through Painter 11: Preferences > Memory & Scratch (read the dialog box and decide if you want to increase memory for Painter higher than the default 80%).
    In Painter IX through Painter X.1, if you have an external hard drive use it for your scratch disk. Type the external drive letter in the Scratch Disk field

5. Use a smaller Scripts Library:

If you've recorded any scripts you want to save, in the Painter 6 and Painter 7 Objects palette's Scripts section menu, or in the Painter 7 through Painter X.1 Scripts palette menu, choose Script Mover and create a new Scripts Library (click the New button in the bottom right corner of the dialog box and give your new Scripts Library a unique and descriptive name). Then drag those script icons from the currently loaded Scripts Library on the left panel into your new Scripts Library on the right panel.

Then, when Painter 6 through Painter 8.1 are closed, go to the main Painter application/program folder and delete the default Painter Scripts Library file. In Windows it's the Painter.ssd file. On Mac's, it's the Painter Script Data file.

When Painter IX, IX 9.1 or IX.5 is closed, go to your Painter IX User folder and delete the Painter.ssd file (Windows) or the Painter Script Data file (Mac).

When Painter X or X.1 are closed, go to your Painter X User folder's Workspace folder and delete the Painter Scripts.scripts file.

When Painter is launched again, depending on the version, either a new empty scripts file is regenerated or the default Scripts library is restored and whatever you do in that Painter session is recorded as a new script, then saved for whatever number of days you specified.

6. Close other programs while working in Painter.

7. Each time you close Painter, go to the appropriate folder for your Painter version and check the size of the Pre-built Brush File. If it's large, delete it. Do this even if you're not ready to stop working in Painter any time you notice Painter's beginning to "misbehave". You'll find this file in the following folders:

Painter 6 main application folder

Painter 7 > Brushes folder

Painter 8 > Brushes folder

Painter IX User folder > Brushes folder (in Painter IX, IX 9.1 and IX.5, the Pre-built Brush File is automatically reset to a smaller file size when it reaches the maximum file size, 200 MB)

I delete this file if it's over 1 MB, though your system may be able to handle letting it get larger than that. Testing the Impasto variants one day, the "PBF" grew from its base file size of 113 kb to over 60 MB in less than 20 minutes, so if you're using complex brushes like Impasto, Water Colors, and Liquid Ink (and some other more complex brush variants in more recent Painter versions), you may need to check it more frequently. This is also true for some custom brush variant collections available to download from various sites. Chris Cimonetti's Fine Art 2 brush library is a good example. You'll find Chris Cimonetti's Fine Art 2 brush library on the Painter 6, Painter 7, and Painter 8 Custom Brushes page on my PixelAlley site.

It doesn't hurt anything to delete the Pre-built Brush File as it's used to store brush information to make brush building (by Painter) faster. It's regenerated the next time Painter 6, Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX are opened.

Good news: The Pre-built Brush File no longer exists in Painter X and X.1

We still need to close down Painter every hour or so to let Painter catch its breath so to speak, wait a few minutes, then relaunch and continue.

8. Always save your work frequently and no matter what you're doing in Painter, after working for an hour or so, save your file as a Painter RIFF, shut down Painter 6 through Painter IX.5, and check the Pre-built Brush File size.

If Painter begins to behave strangely, save your file in Painter RIFF format, close the program, and wait a few minutes before launching it again. If it still behaves strangely, a reboot may help.

Whether or not Painter begins to behave strangely, give it a rest now and then. You may be able to work longer than an hour or so, but too many hours without a break is asking for trouble.

9. Use File > Save As and save your RIFF files in a numbered series. For instance:

waterfall_01.rif
    waterfall_02.rif
    waterfall-03.rif

If your Painter version includes the File > Iterative Save command, use File > Save As for the first save, then File > Iterative Save for followng saves and a number will be added automatically at the end of the file name for a numbered series of files.

10. If you experience corrupted RIFF files, save your files Uncompressed. The default is compressed, so you'll need to check the Uncompressed box when saving.

NOTE Even if these brush controls are both available at the same time in your Painter version, never use Impasto settings with Water Color variants or Watercolor settings with Impasto variants. This can cause immediate and permanent corruption of your image, and right before your eyes, to boot! (This is not a problem in more recent versions as the "opposite" brush control settings won't be available for you to make that mistake.)

11. Do regular system maintenance tasks.

In Windows, at least, and I am not a Mac user so can't say what system maintenance would be needed, run ScanDisk and Defrag at least once a week. I usually run both a couple of times a week.

Regularly clear out browser cache and temp files, even several times a day depending on how much you're on the Internet, whether you've downloaded files, etc.

12. When you've done all of the above and Painter becomes sluggish, use Save As or File > Iterative Save if you're already saving in a numbered series of files, to save your file as a Painter RIFF, close Painter 6 through Painter IX.5, delete the Pre-built Brush File if necessary, and reboot.

(As soon as I have time, I'll update this post to include more about Painter 11. In the meantime, you'll find loads of information at The PainterFactory )

Jinny

#

Last edited by Jin; February 16th, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Jin, that was very helpfull

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome, Boris.

Thanks for letting me know it was helpful.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This might be a dumb quistion but what version is the best of painter? I need to get my hands on this program and i just want some feedback. Thanks.

Its been fun and its been real
    but it hasnt been real fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi TODDLER,

If you post your question in a new thread, with an appropriate subject line, you'll probably get a better response, since this thread is about keeping Painter versions running smoothly.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a good tip thanks.

Its been fun and its been real
    but it hasnt been real fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work Jin! (as per usual :chug: )

One thing I wanted to add was that it's sometimes useful to save pictures in Photoshop PSD format. This is for a number of reasons. Firstly, Painter seems to handle Photoshop files quite nicely. Secondly, I've occasionally had problems with files corrupting when saving in Painter's RIFF format. Thirdly, it obviously saves you an extra step if you want to pull it in to Photoshop for some Color Balance correction or modification (as I'm still a bit suspiscious of Painter's own colour modification dialogues).

Obviously, you might not be able to save Painter-specific things like Shapes and Text, but it can keep things a bit concurrent if you use both apps regularly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

awesome advice

thank you so much jin, that was so helpful...im new to painter and really appreciate the walk through to help make things run smooth.

Last edited by JayJee; February 26th, 2004 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by ceenda
    Nice work Jin! (as per usual :chug: )

One thing I wanted to add was that it's sometimes useful to save pictures in Photoshop PSD format. This is for a number of reasons. Firstly, Painter seems to handle Photoshop files quite nicely. Secondly, I've occasionally had problems with files corrupting when saving in Painter's RIFF format. Thirdly, it obviously saves you an extra step if you want to pull it in to Photoshop for some Color Balance correction or modification (as I'm still a bit suspiscious of Painter's own colour modification dialogues).

Obviously, you might not be able to save Painter-specific things like Shapes and Text, but it can keep things a bit concurrent if you use both apps regularly.
    Thanks ceenda!

If the user wants to work in Photoshop, yes, certainly also save the file in PSD format.

Since Painter specific information will be lost when saving to PSD, I always recommend first saving (using Save As) in Painter's native RIFF format.

Painter specific information includes (this is not a complete list):

Painter 6 Wet Layer for Water Colors
    Painter 6, 7, and 8 Impasto
    Painter 6, 7, and 8 Dynamic Plugin Layers
    Painter 7 and 8 Water Color Layers
    Painter 7 and 8 Liquid Ink Layers

.. and probably more

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter Noob

I'm going to be a rendundant painter noob. I just recently got painter 8 and all it's given me is greif. It freezes up constantly when I do anything, resize brushes, paint with them, move the damb thing across the screen. Basically all I'm saying is it is constantly feezing up when I do the simplest of minuvers (I'm a keyborad short cut freak and always use them when I'm working, especially in Photoshop). I can wait it out while it is 'thinking' but it is just rediculous and slows down my productivity. Saving documents takes forever, zooming in on the document is a slow process. What size and resolution to do most of you work at? I run Photoshop CS and picked up the painter upgrade does this make any difference. My computer is a 933mhz machine with 768 mg sdram, blah maybe its too old an slow to properly handle painters memory consumption. I even reinstalled painter. Since I have a mac, would running Norton be like defraging the computer (I've never done that, that may be why painter is always freezing, though I've never had a problem with Photoshop and I have both 7 and 8 ). I really need help, the tech support at corel is rediculious.

Sorry for the length of this, I only wish to get painter running properly. I reinstalled the program today so any of the above recomendations will only help after I've been using the program for an extended period of time.

I love what painter can do and only hope that I can find a 'fix' to these problems.

<insert shameless self-promotional propaganda here>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I can't help you with the "defrag" question since I'm not a Mac user. Someone else will have to answer that part.

I'd suggest downloading and installing the Painter 8.1 patch as it might help some with the problems you're having (can't guarantee that), and it'll give you Custom Palettes that will help with your workflow. You'll also need to download the updated Painter 8 User Guide PDF that explains how to create and use Custom Palettes.

Download both at:

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/8.1

Follow all of these steps to help prevent problems when you Uninstall Painter 8, reinstall Painter 8, and install the Painter 8.1 patch:

1. Close Painter 8 and other programs.

2. Move any files you created into a new backup folder outside of the Painter 8 folders.

3. Uninstall Painter 8.

4. Manually delete any remaining Painter 8 folders and files.

5. Reboot.

6. Install Painter 8. If you're going to install the Painter 8.1 patch, don't open Painter 8 even one time.

7. Install the Painter 8.1 patch.

8. Reboot.

9. Launch Painter 8.1.

Three things you can do to make sure the 8.1 patch was installed correctly:

1. Click Help > About Corel Painter 8.... On the splash screen, you'll see small type along the bottom. At the end of the first line of small type, you should see Version 8.1.

2. In the Window menu, near the bottom, you should see the Custom Palettes option with a flyout menu containing two commands:

Organizer
    Add Command

3. Close the Window menu and drag a brush category icon onto the Painter screen. This should automatically create a new Custom Palette named Custom 1. To delete this test Custom Palette, use Window > Custom Palettes > Organizer. Highlight Custom 1 in the left panel and hit the Delete button, then hit the Done button to close the Custom Palette Organizer dialog box.

Jinny Brown

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

just picked up Painter 8, so a big thanks for the tips

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

yeah baby !

Thx for the tips, going to use them thinking of u ))

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The quick curve crash

In Painter IX I frequently get a general aneurism like crash when using the quick curve tool (the wiggly line spline). It seems to happen either at the end of creating a curve or if the curve is really short (like one handle size).

It could be a tablet settings mishap but really I don't like that at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ilovemytaxidermist and custodian,

Please read my post above and post your questions in other threads.

This thread, again, is not a discussion thread and should be locked to prevent people posting to it.

Thanks,

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just would like to mention a strange problem im having with Painter Essentials 2.
    copying any parts of the canvas and switching to another program brings up the convert to clipboard box, i've had some crazy slowdowns after that and a crash not long ago. I don't recommend ever using the copy button or even the selection tool in Essentials 2, since its a useless feature that can freeze up your system.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where is the pre-built brush file in Painter 9.5? The name of the extension would help. I'm on Windows XP

"The progress of learning is from indefinite to definite, not from sensation to perception. We do not learn to have percepts but to differentiate them."
    J.J Gibson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

The name of the file is Pre-built Brush File. It doesn't have an extension (I'm using WinXP too).

It's located in your Painter IX User folder in the following location:

Windows - Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Corel\Painter IX

Mac - /Users/[User Name]/Library/Application Support/Corel/Painter IX/

With the advent of Painter IX, there's no need to delete the Pre-built Brush File as Painter IX automatically lowers the file size when it reaches the top limit of 200 MB.

If you feel that you want to delete it, no harm is done as Painter IX will automatically generate a new Pre-built Brush File the next time Painter IX is launched.

That file is used to store brush information to make brush building faster (Painter has to build the brush before we can use it), so if you delete the Pre-built Brush File, it may take a little longer to build the brushes until they've been built once and the Pre-built Brush File contains that information.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...I think I'm going to download this and check it out...need to brush up on my skills with drawing/painting with a mouse and such.

"The last thing you shall see is the mask I shall place on your face. Now laugh...laugh from my wonderful gas...and conclude yourself into my world."
    --Dr.Killjoy--

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GOOD PAINTING WORK SHARE WITH YOU!! WWW.B21C.COM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lzw95071
    GOOD PAINTING WORK SHARE WITH YOU!! WWW.B21C.COM

Ban this spamming account.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wicked, cheers for that. Big help!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thakyou Jin. A great help - I am coming back to Painter 6 after about 3 years with PhotoShop 7 CS CS2 now CS3 but still I remember little things that painter did best. One little thing but very useful pattern making seamlessly.

Thanks for your tips

Victor Bryant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Victor,

You're most welcome.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Jin

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thread Title Changed to:

Keeping Painter 6 Through Painter X.1 Running Smoothly - Updated February 6, 2008

Content updated to include recent Painter versions, as the new thread title indicates.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome.. Awesome to the max. Very appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Problem opening Painter IX.5

Hey Jin,

First, thanks so much for your time and help. It is very much appreciated!

Now, my problem...this morning when trying to open Painter IX.5 I found that it either took an EXTREMELY long amount of time to open (10 to 15 minutes), or it did not open at all. Unlike other times opening the program the first thing I saw was the box "evaluating brush direction" for several minutes. I cleared all caches (brush and script), restarted, and still encountered the same issue.

Any help would be much appreciated!

p.s.-Sorry for the PM Jin, I didn't notice your request until too late. I'll just keep posting here in the future!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Too bad, I only have Painter X.

Mines is going nuts, and so is my computer!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Smeagol71,

I don't have an answer for this problem but suggest you post this message (and any other Corel Painter technical problems) at The PainterFactory, in the Painter Discussions area (click the tab at the top of the page) > Corel Painter Product Discussion forum category > Got a Question? forum.

The Got a Question? forum is the best place to discuss technical questions and concerns with Corel Painter users and the Corel Painter Development Team.

Good luck!

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diabla,

If your post above is in reference to something in my original post in this thread, that information pertains to all Corel Painter versions from Painter 6 through the current version, Painter X and Painter X.1.

If that's not what you're referring to, please be more specific.

Again, if you're not able to solve your problems with help from other users here in this forum, post your problems at The PainterFactory and, again, be very specific. They won't be able to help without all of the pertinent details.

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.