A question about learning progression

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi everybody. I am studying drawing for like 5 or 6 months now. And I only drew simple plaster shapes and still lifes in pencil until now. So I wanted to ask others opinion about how long should one stay on drawing simple objects before trying something more complex (should i get a very solid foundation or get down and dirty with something complex right away)

Thanks in advance.

Here's an example of one of my recent drawings (not finished)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing is progressing wonderfully. The still life you are drawing has many objects and as a composition already has a level of complexity. I don't see ay reason you don't go on to something more complex, go ahead!!! But, remember to return to these simpler forms periodically.

And welcome to CA.

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That looks pretty complex to me. In any event I wouldn't restrict yourself to some pre-determined notion of what you "should" do to become better. If you feel like drawing something very complex, do it. Conversely, it's sometimes good to move outside your comfort zone, so drawing something that challenges you will help you improve.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,979 Times in 2,410 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I agree with what has been said and I would add that if you are working toward a production art type job you might try speed and then accuracy back and forth. With speed try and make the mark correct the first time everytime then go back to just being accurate without worrying about how fast. By switching between the two disciplines it is possible to become very fast and accurate which is a plus for woking in anything but fine art

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's no rules about when you should or shouldn't attempt different levels of complexity...

If you feel like tackling something more complex than what you're doing, go for it! It never hurts to try! And if it turns out to be too overwhelming, you can always go back to simpler stuff until you feel like trying again. Or try getting gradually more complex, a little bit at a time. Or you can just dive in and try everything right away and revel in the overwhelmingness of it all until you get the hang of it.

It's all up to you and what you're comfortable with.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, you need to move away from these simple, cartoony subjects! Just kidding of course - I hope my humor is not lost in translation! I agree with all above - just do what feels right - you're well on your way so just start to push it. Basically simple or complex - it's all the same stuff - proportion, perspective, form, volume, value, composition, etc. The figure adds things like movement, gesture, attitude, physical balance, etc. Landscape and architecture add different elements as well. Good job by the way - keep it up!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Members who have read this thread: 1