Results 14 to 26 of 53
Thread: Painter Wish List
March 14th, 2010 #14
Hide this ad by registering as a memberMarch 18th, 2010 #15
one more vote for the navigator window
and I'd love to see "sample current layer"/"sample current and below layers" options for the eye-dropper tool
(and a new brush method that will have per-stroke, not per-dab opacity, but I can't see it happening)
on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace
March 18th, 2010 #16
Some more Wishes:
1) I'm not sure why we get blending modes for Layers and for Text but not for brush strokes... again something where it already exists (and has for a while) just needs to be taken to it's logical conclusion -- and I know we have "Plugin Brushes" but they are very limited in their functionality.
2) Gradients with transparency?
3) Boolean function for vector Shapes -- Painter has excellent vector tools with that notable exception.
4) Option to automatically stroke a vector path with any brush.
5) Greyscale and CMYK modes... greyscale would save on memory while working on value studies and while it's great you can save CMYK files from Painter it sure would be nice to be able to re-open them without having to convert back to RGB as it is not a lossless conversion process either way.
6) Impasto "drying" option/effect -- real paint shrivels and shrinks as it dries giving it much more interesting character than "wet" impasto.
7) Ability to use impasto information as part of paper grain.
8) Ability to turn off auto record script... I don't use that function and don't want it eating my memory.
Last edited by jason_maranto; March 19th, 2010 at 05:46 AM.
April 20th, 2010 #17
1) I think scripting really needs an overhaul -- it's a very powerful tool but it has many limitations and gets easily out of whack when dealing with layers/layer masks, etc... I would also like the ability to insert a pause with instructions or explanations for the person who is playing the script.
I also think it is ridiculous that the scripting function auto-records everything it plays back... that seems beyond redundant.
2) A "purge" command to get rid of actively recording scripts, undos, and stuff on the clipboard would dramatically make the software more usable for long sessions as I've gotten several active scripts in the 700mb range while working... just not useful and the only way to stop it is to close painter and restart.
3) Artists Oils needs to be fixed so it can be oriented properly with the wacom artpen.
4) The polygon lasso needs to be able to keep itself active while I scroll the document using the spacebar "hand" tool.
5) Zoom and rotate should be greatly improved in terms of visual quality and usability.
6) A form of blending not dependent on resat and bleed should be developed so that when blending a (pastel for instance) color against a white paper will not actually pick up the white of the paper... this is so wrong that the idea that this persists in a "natural media emulator" is absurd.
7) Markers are all but useless without a "clear blender" and I mean a clear blender marker not some other form of blender.
April 28th, 2010 #18
Here's a new one:
I'd like 2 check boxes added to the paint bucket -- the first to add the "contiguous" option the magic wand has, and the second to toggle the ability to use the way it works now with selections (fills everything - which can be useful) and switch to use the tolerance setting even with selections.
Also would very much like it if the "tolerance" and "anti-alias" settings on the wand and bucket could be persistent form session to session -- or being able to set up some sort of tool pre-set for them.
April 28th, 2010 #19
Finger paint brushes. Fingers spread out according to pressure, you can rotate the "hand" by stylus angle. Not exactly a priority but it would be cool to use with a touch-screen.
"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."
April 28th, 2010 #20
May 1st, 2010 #21
A couple more:
1) Gradient Fill for shapes
2) PDF export or save (that will keep vector art as vector) with CMYK conversion... it's a one-stop printing fix -- would eliminate ALOT of issues... Since I have Acrobat I can "print" a PDF but for the average user it would be nice to have that option as part of the package without having to have Acrobat.
Last edited by jason_maranto; May 3rd, 2010 at 05:38 PM.
May 2nd, 2010 #22
I see you guys are still tryin to climb out of a vaseline coated hole with plastic mittens on. All I did was upgrade my hardware to Asus i7 and revert back to Painter X. Talking about revolution and change is like expecting the hardcore junkie or addict in your family to finally get with the program.....it's a waiting game. These days I spend more time building on what does work and what is beneficial in the program than the myriad of shortcomings or bugs. Save and save often, iterative if you have the space, and pray the next official version is at least 65% of what we've all been asking for. Seems Adobe is a bit peeved and worn with Apple and their ridiculously extreme intellectual property practices as of late, namely seeing as how Win7 is changing the average consumers mind when considering a no-hassle user experience. If Adobe jumps and puts full backing on Win versions of it's software( this is possible, nobody in their right mind is going to let some little man hold an unnecessary "town hall" meeting explaining why you're a piece of garbage and everyone should get with him instead of you, pointing fingers and failing to accept any responsibility......all about a software incompatibility issue.) this will spell trouble for the Mac platform in the creative industry. Corel will be next in line to take the crown on the Mac. I don't know about any issues Corel Draw suite users might be having, honestly I don't know any other than a few sign shops that received the software bundled with a high dollar printer/cutter. Maybe if Corel did move into the #1 spot on the Mac, they would see the value in ramping up development in all their programs to maintain the status....but this might backfire. If you bought a Mac solely for streamlined and native use of Adobe software and become inseparably accustomed to it, chances are if Adobe jumps, a top tier PC OEM will provide a solid machine that blows Mac hardware specs away for a much lower price, you'll hold out with your current version of CS, crying and begging to Steve Jobs to lighten up so you can receive OSX version salvation. Steve-O is not havin it though, he's gonna need you to send in pics of the Apple logo tattooed on your perineum and the deed to your house or title to your car.....even after he had the nerve to release that iPad junk to the public. Corel needs to take advantage of this possible scenario whether it materializes or not and be prominent on both platforms ASAP. With Adobe taking interest in Natural Media tools, CS6 or whatever the next version might be called will seal the casket unless moves are made right now. I have slowly been finding out that we Painter users are actually a minority, a strong and prominent one, but nonetheless EVERYBODY has heard of Photoshop. Well, I've typed my rant, hopefully Corel will hook us up next go 'round.
Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
May 3rd, 2010 #23
I guess it would depend, even with Adobe's strained relationship with Apple remember...they already released Adobe ideas for ipod/ipad/iphone.
However, that is off topic. Let's get back to Painter's Wishlist and if you want to complain about painter...let's have another topic.
May 3rd, 2010 #24
Please don't take this as aggression but there's probably a lot that's interesting here as I know that your posts have been in the past but it's really very difficult to read without any paragraph breaks, especially on a widescreen. It puts me off reading.
(Sorry Arshes, still off topic)
May 3rd, 2010 #25
I tore into John Derry a few years back on these forums when Painter X was released for much of what I said here already
However I think it is more useful to frame your issues as suggestions and wishes than to simply bitch... one is constructive the other is just negative.
May 3rd, 2010 #26
A few more:
1) Opentype font support.
2) The ability to use Regular, Bold, and Italic versions of a font together (or multiple different fonts) in the same block of text.
3) Shape based "Area" text (auto re-flow)
Last edited by jason_maranto; May 3rd, 2010 at 05:35 PM.