Painter Wish List

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter Wish List

Since I've got nowhere else to put this I'll post it here, feel free to add your own...

1) Put a intensity slider for dirty mode... no-brainer, it can't be hard.

2) I finally figured out what I don't like about Painter's Watercolor system -- it's actually in 2 parts... the first is that they modelled it after a fully transparent dye system(Gel Layer ) instead of a partially opaque pigment system like real watercolors (which makes a big difference, dye makes it more like colored inks) and second there's no "dirty mode" that will allow you to scrub dry color to carry it along with new color into a stroke.

So that said if they can't do a proper pigment style it really limits what can be accomplished in "watercolors" and re-wetting and scrubbing are time honored watercolor staples... all this could be forgiven if they simply added the ability to flood an area with "water" and keep it wet and active until you are done working with it. Without that it is impossible to get a satisfactory wet-on-wet technique.

I've got more to come later.

Best,
    Jason.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    He he, i wish i wish..... just make faster brushes and no bugs, god damn

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wish to stay the same, luv it all.

There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish Corel had listened to the user suggestions all these years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wish only the fix for UI from jumping, disappearing, changing without my needs and randomly close brush selector bar.
    and back zoom tool increments for 1% as it was before.
    brush tracking for individual brush with ability to save it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsevilla View Post
    i wish to stay the same, luv it all.
    I hope that is sarcasm, ha ha. I love painter too, but I totally agree with MatejaPetkovic, Teho, and Portus. I would really... REALLY love it if painter could give us a Less cluttered and more artist friendly streamlined workspace. Get rid of all the friggin floating windows and add some disappearing tabs or something. Also get rid of the graphic bug that makes painter's UI disintegrate after a few hours of use with square blocks covering artwork, property bar text getting garbled up, the disappearing brush selector issue, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    They need to revamp "Buildup" mode. Only crayons tend *might* turn into that black mess you go over with the same color. It should be more saturated, but not necessarily darker

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the perspective grid is a nice idea, but it's a bit limited. I'd like to be able to rotate the perspective (to take it out of the strictly horizontal/vertical) and the choice to add 3-point perspective.

Or maybe this can be done already and I just haven't figured it out yet...

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    They need to revamp "Buildup" mode. Only crayons tend *might* turn into that black mess you go over with the same color. It should be more saturated, but not necessarily darker
    Yesss!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    64 bit version + improve aliasing code please thx
    and make the damned RGB to HSV colour checkbox remember it's setting

I know I'm asking too much already, especially with the checkbox.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    64 bit version
    Seconded. That is at the top of my list for improvements.

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A separate dynamic resizing Navigation window. The workaround well is subpar to what other programs can do already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artmessiah View Post
    I hope that is sarcasm, ha ha. I love painter too, but I totally agree with MatejaPetkovic, Teho, and Portus. I would really... REALLY love it if painter could give us a Less cluttered and more artist friendly streamlined workspace. Get rid of all the friggin floating windows and add some disappearing tabs or something. Also get rid of the graphic bug that makes painter's UI disintegrate after a few hours of use with square blocks covering artwork, property bar text getting garbled up, the disappearing brush selector issue, etc.

Wasnt sarcastic, i havent experienced any of those, i mean this days say things like you love, it seems people think its bad, cause the most common word this day its hate or dislike.

What i will probably want and im begging for it, its a brush that can use transparencies like photoshop, we already have the version in marker from dark to more dark, but will be nicer if you can add from white to more white, thats the only disadvantage i see from photoshop, this helps to quickly do thumbnails.

Ifi wanted a btter program with no crashes, better layer modes, and stuff i had runned to photoshop long time ago.

If isnt luv what its sticking me to painter then dont know why its the feeling then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    A separate dynamic resizing Navigation window. The workaround well is subpar to what other programs can do already.

Yeah you are right, an explandable info panel, i mean its to freaking tiny that doesnt work for nothing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one more vote for the navigator window
    and I'd love to see "sample current layer"/"sample current and below layers" options for the eye-dropper tool
    (and a new brush method that will have per-stroke, not per-dab opacity, but I can't see it happening)

four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more Wishes:

1) I'm not sure why we get blending modes for Layers and for Text but not for brush strokes... again something where it already exists (and has for a while) just needs to be taken to it's logical conclusion -- and I know we have "Plugin Brushes" but they are very limited in their functionality.

2) Gradients with transparency?

3) Boolean function for vector Shapes -- Painter has excellent vector tools with that notable exception.

4) Option to automatically stroke a vector path with any brush.

5) Greyscale and CMYK modes... greyscale would save on memory while working on value studies and while it's great you can save CMYK files from Painter it sure would be nice to be able to re-open them without having to convert back to RGB as it is not a lossless conversion process either way.

6) Impasto "drying" option/effect -- real paint shrivels and shrinks as it dries giving it much more interesting character than "wet" impasto.

7) Ability to use impasto information as part of paper grain.

8) Ability to turn off auto record script... I don't use that function and don't want it eating my memory.

Best,
    Jason.

Last edited by jason_maranto; March 19th, 2010 at 05:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back...

1) I think scripting really needs an overhaul -- it's a very powerful tool but it has many limitations and gets easily out of whack when dealing with layers/layer masks, etc... I would also like the ability to insert a pause with instructions or explanations for the person who is playing the script.

I also think it is ridiculous that the scripting function auto-records everything it plays back... that seems beyond redundant.

2) A "purge" command to get rid of actively recording scripts, undos, and stuff on the clipboard would dramatically make the software more usable for long sessions as I've gotten several active scripts in the 700mb range while working... just not useful and the only way to stop it is to close painter and restart.

3) Artists Oils needs to be fixed so it can be oriented properly with the wacom artpen.

4) The polygon lasso needs to be able to keep itself active while I scroll the document using the spacebar "hand" tool.

5) Zoom and rotate should be greatly improved in terms of visual quality and usability.

6) A form of blending not dependent on resat and bleed should be developed so that when blending a (pastel for instance) color against a white paper will not actually pick up the white of the paper... this is so wrong that the idea that this persists in a "natural media emulator" is absurd.

7) Markers are all but useless without a "clear blender" and I mean a clear blender marker not some other form of blender.

Best,
    Jason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a new one:

I'd like 2 check boxes added to the paint bucket -- the first to add the "contiguous" option the magic wand has, and the second to toggle the ability to use the way it works now with selections (fills everything - which can be useful) and switch to use the tolerance setting even with selections.

Also would very much like it if the "tolerance" and "anti-alias" settings on the wand and bucket could be persistent form session to session -- or being able to set up some sort of tool pre-set for them.

Best,
    Jason.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Finger paint brushes. Fingers spread out according to pressure, you can rotate the "hand" by stylus angle. Not exactly a priority but it would be cool to use with a touch-screen.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    Finger paint brushes. Fingers spread out according to pressure, you can rotate the "hand" by stylus angle. Not exactly a priority but it would be cool to use with a touch-screen.
    they should take advantage of that idea and use it for mobile apps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple more:

1) Gradient Fill for shapes

2) PDF export or save (that will keep vector art as vector) with CMYK conversion... it's a one-stop printing fix -- would eliminate ALOT of issues... Since I have Acrobat I can "print" a PDF but for the average user it would be nice to have that option as part of the package without having to have Acrobat.

Best,
    Jason.

Last edited by jason_maranto; May 3rd, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you guys are still tryin to climb out of a vaseline coated hole with plastic mittens on. All I did was upgrade my hardware to Asus i7 and revert back to Painter X. Talking about revolution and change is like expecting the hardcore junkie or addict in your family to finally get with the program.....it's a waiting game. These days I spend more time building on what does work and what is beneficial in the program than the myriad of shortcomings or bugs. Save and save often, iterative if you have the space, and pray the next official version is at least 65% of what we've all been asking for. Seems Adobe is a bit peeved and worn with Apple and their ridiculously extreme intellectual property practices as of late, namely seeing as how Win7 is changing the average consumers mind when considering a no-hassle user experience. If Adobe jumps and puts full backing on Win versions of it's software( this is possible, nobody in their right mind is going to let some little man hold an unnecessary "town hall" meeting explaining why you're a piece of garbage and everyone should get with him instead of you, pointing fingers and failing to accept any responsibility......all about a software incompatibility issue.) this will spell trouble for the Mac platform in the creative industry. Corel will be next in line to take the crown on the Mac. I don't know about any issues Corel Draw suite users might be having, honestly I don't know any other than a few sign shops that received the software bundled with a high dollar printer/cutter. Maybe if Corel did move into the #1 spot on the Mac, they would see the value in ramping up development in all their programs to maintain the status....but this might backfire. If you bought a Mac solely for streamlined and native use of Adobe software and become inseparably accustomed to it, chances are if Adobe jumps, a top tier PC OEM will provide a solid machine that blows Mac hardware specs away for a much lower price, you'll hold out with your current version of CS, crying and begging to Steve Jobs to lighten up so you can receive OSX version salvation. Steve-O is not havin it though, he's gonna need you to send in pics of the Apple logo tattooed on your perineum and the deed to your house or title to your car.....even after he had the nerve to release that iPad junk to the public. Corel needs to take advantage of this possible scenario whether it materializes or not and be prominent on both platforms ASAP. With Adobe taking interest in Natural Media tools, CS6 or whatever the next version might be called will seal the casket unless moves are made right now. I have slowly been finding out that we Painter users are actually a minority, a strong and prominent one, but nonetheless EVERYBODY has heard of Photoshop. Well, I've typed my rant, hopefully Corel will hook us up next go 'round.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it would depend, even with Adobe's strained relationship with Apple remember...they already released Adobe ideas for ipod/ipad/iphone.

However, that is off topic. Let's get back to Painter's Wishlist and if you want to complain about painter...let's have another topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackARK View Post
    I see you guys are still tryin to climb out of a vaseline coated hole with plastic mittens on. All I did was upgrade my hardware to Asus i7 and revert back to Painter X. Talking about revolution and change is like expecting the hardcore junkie or addict in your family to finally get with the program.....it's a waiting game. These days I spend more time building on what does work and what is beneficial in the program than the myriad of shortcomings or bugs. Save and save often, iterative if you have the space, and pray the next official version is at least 65% of what we've all been asking for. Seems Adobe is a bit peeved and worn with Apple and their ridiculously extreme intellectual property practices as of late, namely seeing as how Win7 is changing the average consumers mind when considering a no-hassle user experience. If Adobe jumps and puts full backing on Win versions of it's software( this is possible, nobody in their right mind is going to let some little man hold an unnecessary "town hall" meeting explaining why you're a piece of garbage and everyone should get with him instead of you, pointing fingers and failing to accept any responsibility......all about a software incompatibility issue.) this will spell trouble for the Mac platform in the creative industry. Corel will be next in line to take the crown on the Mac. I don't know about any issues Corel Draw suite users might be having, honestly I don't know any other than a few sign shops that received the software bundled with a high dollar printer/cutter. Maybe if Corel did move into the #1 spot on the Mac, they would see the value in ramping up development in all their programs to maintain the status....but this might backfire. If you bought a Mac solely for streamlined and native use of Adobe software and become inseparably accustomed to it, chances are if Adobe jumps, a top tier PC OEM will provide a solid machine that blows Mac hardware specs away for a much lower price, you'll hold out with your current version of CS, crying and begging to Steve Jobs to lighten up so you can receive OSX version salvation. Steve-O is not havin it though, he's gonna need you to send in pics of the Apple logo tattooed on your perineum and the deed to your house or title to your car.....even after he had the nerve to release that iPad junk to the public. Corel needs to take advantage of this possible scenario whether it materializes or not and be prominent on both platforms ASAP. With Adobe taking interest in Natural Media tools, CS6 or whatever the next version might be called will seal the casket unless moves are made right now. I have slowly been finding out that we Painter users are actually a minority, a strong and prominent one, but nonetheless EVERYBODY has heard of Photoshop. Well, I've typed my rant, hopefully Corel will hook us up next go 'round.
    BlackARK,

Please don't take this as aggression but there's probably a lot that's interesting here as I know that your posts have been in the past but it's really very difficult to read without any paragraph breaks, especially on a widescreen. It puts me off reading.

(Sorry Arshes, still off topic)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeparis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tore into John Derry a few years back on these forums when Painter X was released for much of what I said here already

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89166

However I think it is more useful to frame your issues as suggestions and wishes than to simply bitch... one is constructive the other is just negative.

Best,
    Jason.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jason_maranto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more:

1) Opentype font support.

2) The ability to use Regular, Bold, and Italic versions of a font together (or multiple different fonts) in the same block of text.

3) Shape based "Area" text (auto re-flow)

Best,
    Jason.

Last edited by jason_maranto; May 3rd, 2010 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by joeparis View Post
    BlackARK,

Please don't take this as aggression but there's probably a lot that's interesting here as I know that your posts have been in the past but it's really very difficult to read without any paragraph breaks, especially on a widescreen. It puts me off reading.

(Sorry Arshes, still off topic)
    LOL, point taken, I am the worst at preventing run-on sentences and administering paragraph breaks as needed. I spend more time drawing than anything else, I've all but completely lost the fine art of english composition. Even worse over the years I've noticed that I squeeze as much dialogue into a single breath as possible so I can hurry up and get back to work. I'm such a horrible little man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd really like a nice mobile app version of painter that had networking capabilities. I love how Open Canvas was able to do it and I'm sure a stripped down version of Painter instead of turn based Netpaint that allowed 2-3 users at a time to do cooperative painting would be a plus.

This is especially true since most are java based web only, and it would be great to see it cross platform with Mac and Windows users.

It doesn't need to be complex, dynamic brush sizing and a few basic brushes would be cool along with a few of Painter's blenders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I honestly would like corel to concentrate on the desktop version of painter 12 at this point.
    I wouldn't mind a separate portable app, but they're five + years behind when it comes to painter engine, and spreading their coders onto two separate projects doesn't sound very good to me.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    I honestly would like corel to concentrate on the desktop version of painter 12 at this point.
    I wouldn't mind a separate portable app, but they're five + years behind when it comes to painter engine, and spreading their coders onto two separate projects doesn't sound very good to me.
    Preach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 23