IDW #121: Yin-Yang Avatar

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #121: Yin-Yang Avatar

Topic: Yin-Yang Avatar

Background: This weeks topic is a little more complicated than usual, so please read the brief carefully.

The first part of this topic is the 'avatar' part. The Avatar is a mechanical representation of yourself. It is up to you if this is something you summon in a digital environment (game or virtual reality) or in reality (you might need a magical component here, or use augmented reality equipment to make it visible). The Avatar in its combined shape has to be some form of transportation, though if it's a mechanical horse or a motorcycle is again, up to you. Make it fit to your personality -if you think you would be the type of person to ride choppers or super sports cars than that is probably what your avatar would look like.

The second part of the topic is the Yin-Yang aspect. As the avatar is a mechanical representation of yourself, it will inevitably have more than one aspect of you in it -hence, the yin and the yang. Whether you chose to have a good and a bad side, or some other form of split or matching personality is up to you. This is where it gets complicated: both sides should be able to funcion seperately but combined they form your actual avatar, the vehicle part. While both yin and yang can be anything from two pets, two erm..(fe)male companions or a matching set of coffee tables (again, they represent your own psyche so choose something that fits you), the two combined will have to represent something that can move you from A to B and still retain some impression of both yin and yang.

Confusing already? Check out this example, it might make things more clear. It is what inspired the topic of this round:

Shiva - Motorcycle form
    Shiva - Concept art by Chikako
    Both images are property of Square Enix

In total you will have to design 3 things for this round: The Yin and the Yang representation of your avatar, and the combined form. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask, I'll be around to answer them. If it proves to be too much work for one week I might extent the round too.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw your Yin-Yang Avatar!
    2. You'll need three designs in your final entry: Yin, Yang and combined Avatar form.
    3. READ THE BRIEF CAREFULLY!
    4. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Friday, March 19

Name:  IDW Logo - New Round.JPG
Views: 3733
Size:  7.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks awesome, but ye sounds like this could be a one week+ challenge!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree this sounds like an awesome topic; also agree that this one might be worth more than a week on; the concept of not only the three 'modes' but also your own personal yin/yang into it is pretty heavy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant topic and mind boggling. But does it truely have to represent yourself? Like what if you have an awesome idea that doesnt fit you, or could you base this avatar on youre girlfriend or someone else close to you maybe?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DanBot386: Obviously I won't be able to check this anyway, so yeah you are free to do this for other people or for someone imaginary if you want. The thing is though, that rather than this just being a random piece of machinery that fits together nicely it should have a character that matches a real or at least convincing personality. I'd suggest that if you take someone else to design for, you should try to describe their character in words or images before you start coming up with concepts so you don't get bogged down in too many options.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow this topic is sick. can't wait to start.

it is better to have sketched and sucked than to never have sketched at all.

Visit my sketch book at
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=Devere

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fughi from yuggoth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to let everyone in here know, I just created a Facebook fanpage for IDW! It will contain updates on new rounds, winners of the previous rounds and probably more as soon as I've got it all figured out a little more.

You can find it here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Indust...k/378643722368

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, sounds like a pretty heavy IDW for 1 week only, but im gonna have a go at it anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Complex brief! Here's my start on it. I just went with a helicopter, and ran with it for the sake of speed. I'm going with the large thumbnail at the bottom.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I've got so far, it's going to take a lot more thinking through. It's hard thinking about how they fit together, but at the same time knowing they function separately in this case as two ''people''.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going with a glider, ore hover bike kinda thingie. These are some preliminary ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm stuck between helicopter or jet fighter, so i might do both. xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking of taking part in this - it sounds like a fun project
    As for transportation, I was thinking horse and carriage lol but that sounds too complicated for a first try ^^; and I wonder if it would count anyway because it takes two components and one just pulls the other. Oh well, I'll rethink that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my go with this IDOW. I hope to finish it before Friday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ LeebLeeb I really like your two design from the bottom.

I refined two of my ideas still have to chose one. I kinda like both though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lordvenom I like the bottom one best. Just because I can more ways of it spliting apart and transforming compared to the design above it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  idw-avatar_R3u5.jpg
Views: 2944
Size:  146.6 KB

i made this sketch yesterday but now i'm understanding better the topic so i'll have to rework this one

note : the link to "Shiva - Motorcycle form" -> bandwidth exceeded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm about to be done with my sculpture project so I've got myself to do some more avatar drawings. I was thinking of merging Fenrir and a valkyrie. My former idea was a centaur thing, then it evolved into a boat-thing, finally ended up as a sci-fi jousting-sunlight-fuelled-speedbike. For anyone interested how do you seat in that xD I still havent worked that out, but I thought of the mechanical valkyrie opens her chest and arms so the driver could slide inside.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a short warning here for everyone:

Consider this is Industrial Design of the Week! It is not about creatures, nor is it about character designs. I see a bunch of people in here making designs that consist entirly of creatures and characters, and the combined version is also of organic matter. If you look at the example I posted up there, they're two robot-like beings that form a motorcycle together.

I'm okay with people taking a literal approach if they want to make a direct translation from creature to robot (like making a robot in the exact shape of that creature) and using that as one part of your design, but make sure that it's clear this being has not been born in a natural way!

I hope this point is clear, I did not think it would give problems when writing this brief since it's IDW in here and not any of the other weekly activities. Sorry for the confusion otherwise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my another WIP just after adding colours in, I think now it looks much more mechanical (think StarGate armours). The final outcome is going to look certainly like a machine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @yoitisi is the final deadline still this Friday or do we get another week extension? That extra week sure would be welcomed

@Danbot386 I think it would be easier to make 2 robots out of the second design as well but there's something about that 1st bike that I really like.

So the front part of my 1st avatar hover bike design is the Yin part. She is more female looking, more gracious and angelic. At least that's what I'd like it to be ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ LordVenom I know what you mean, sort of has a wild west/stargate vibe to it... if that even makes sense!? . So ofc the revolvers fit the look. Even though I still prefer the other bike I reckon youre onto a good thing here.

@ sarmati I like the idea, but I think you shouldn't of gave up on the centaur concept. A robotic centaur that splits apart into seperate looking machines/creatures would work better than one robotic creature stepping off the others back. Unless you can find a way to "meld" them somehow so it doesnt appear that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more work on my 1st hover bike. I got the Yang part done as well. I think i don;t like his arms or something about his arms. Also I will probably revise the Yin part make it more feminine maybe.

I really hope we have another week for this one ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a couple of good ideas going on here wish had time to do this myself lol

LordVenom:i dunno why but your yin character reminds me a lil bit of the eidoloin summon from final fantasy ix called ark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9BD4kj6I00

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey just a short and not unexpected update: the deadline for this round has been extended with one full week! That means that the new deadline now is:

Deadline: Friday, March 26

Edit: Finals thread is up too, don't forget to post your finished entry in there before the deadline: IDW #121: Yin-Yang Avatar - Finals thread

Last edited by yoitisi; March 20th, 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the first sketchs for one half of the whole, These ones will represent strength and size and some more subtle things as well. I only saw this today so i'm a bit behind, but i think ill make it in time.

Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is an update, still trying to decide which one I want to use for the a final. going to start one the second part in a bit. the symbols are chinese for yin yang yang, gonna possibly use them as decals.

Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not as many entries as I'd hoped this time, I guess I made it a little too difficult a topic Time to close it though, and to get on with a new round and topic!

Edit: Poll is up, check it out and vote here please: IDW #121: Yin-Yang Avatar - Voting

Last edited by yoitisi; March 28th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.