Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IDW #121: Yin-Yang Avatar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #121: Yin-Yang Avatar

IDW #121: Yin-Yang Avatar

Topic: Yin-Yang Avatar

Background: This weeks topic is a little more complicated than usual, so please read the brief carefully.

The first part of this topic is the 'avatar' part. The Avatar is a mechanical representation of yourself. It is up to you if this is something you summon in a digital environment (game or virtual reality) or in reality (you might need a magical component here, or use augmented reality equipment to make it visible). The Avatar in its combined shape has to be some form of transportation, though if it's a mechanical horse or a motorcycle is again, up to you. Make it fit to your personality -if you think you would be the type of person to ride choppers or super sports cars than that is probably what your avatar would look like.

The second part of the topic is the Yin-Yang aspect. As the avatar is a mechanical representation of yourself, it will inevitably have more than one aspect of you in it -hence, the yin and the yang. Whether you chose to have a good and a bad side, or some other form of split or matching personality is up to you. This is where it gets complicated: both sides should be able to funcion seperately but combined they form your actual avatar, the vehicle part. While both yin and yang can be anything from two pets, two erm..(fe)male companions or a matching set of coffee tables (again, they represent your own psyche so choose something that fits you), the two combined will have to represent something that can move you from A to B and still retain some impression of both yin and yang.

Confusing already? Check out this example, it might make things more clear. It is what inspired the topic of this round:

Shiva - Motorcycle form
    Shiva - Concept art by Chikako
    Both images are property of Square Enix

In total you will have to design 3 things for this round: The Yin and the Yang representation of your avatar, and the combined form. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask, I'll be around to answer them. If it proves to be too much work for one week I might extent the round too.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw your Yin-Yang Avatar!
    2. You'll need three designs in your final entry: Yin, Yang and combined Avatar form.
    3. READ THE BRIEF CAREFULLY!
    4. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Friday, March 19

Name:  IDW Logo - New Round.JPG
Views: 3791
Size:  7.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Looks awesome, but ye sounds like this could be a one week+ challenge!

Thanks
    I agree this sounds like an awesome topic; also agree that this one might be worth more than a week on; the concept of not only the three 'modes' but also your own personal yin/yang into it is pretty heavy.

Thanks
    Brilliant topic and mind boggling. But does it truely have to represent yourself? Like what if you have an awesome idea that doesnt fit you, or could you base this avatar on youre girlfriend or someone else close to you maybe?

Thanks
    DanBot386: Obviously I won't be able to check this anyway, so yeah you are free to do this for other people or for someone imaginary if you want. The thing is though, that rather than this just being a random piece of machinery that fits together nicely it should have a character that matches a real or at least convincing personality. I'd suggest that if you take someone else to design for, you should try to describe their character in words or images before you start coming up with concepts so you don't get bogged down in too many options.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow this topic is sick. can't wait to start.
    it is better to have sketched and sucked than to never have sketched at all.

Visit my sketch book at
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=Devere

Thanks

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fughi from yuggoth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just to let everyone in here know, I just created a Facebook fanpage for IDW! It will contain updates on new rounds, winners of the previous rounds and probably more as soon as I've got it all figured out a little more.

You can find it here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Indust...k/378643722368

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow, sounds like a pretty heavy IDW for 1 week only, but im gonna have a go at it anyway.

Thanks
    Complex brief! Here's my start on it. I just went with a helicopter, and ran with it for the sake of speed. I'm going with the large thumbnail at the bottom.

Thanks
    This is what I've got so far, it's going to take a lot more thinking through. It's hard thinking about how they fit together, but at the same time knowing they function separately in this case as two ''people''.

Thanks
    I'm going with a glider, ore hover bike kinda thingie. These are some preliminary ideas.

Thanks
    I'm stuck between helicopter or jet fighter, so i might do both. xD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast