Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts

Looking for a Good Laptop, Suggestions?

Hello, im looking for a laptop at or under $1500 that can operate Photoshop and other demanding programs smoothly. Currently i have a 4 year old laptop that struggles to run smoothly on paintings roughly 5000 by 5000 pixels large. If anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.

As of now im looking into the Apple MacBook Pro

The HP Pavilion Laptop

and another HP Pavilion Laptop

Side by side comparison

as of now im favoring the first HP Pavilion, if anyone owns on of these or understands computer specs better then i do i would like to hear what you think.

thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Defiantly do not consider buying a hp laptop. They often have design flaws which cause overheating which can cause it to shut down regularly or even fry the motherboard.
    While my hp laptop has been going for two years now I have a friend with a similar model which overheats constantly. ( I have a pavillion dv6000 in case your wondering.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CiaranSheridan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My advice? Skip over the laptop and just get a compact tower system designed for gamers. It's probably cheaper, too.
    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    well if i can find a tower that comes with a built screen and folds in half i will buy it i am looking into those as well, but i think a laptop is best for me.

Thanks
    Hey Krato

I recently moved from a windows based pc laptop to a macbook pro. I would recommend the macbook pro to anyone looking for a laptop

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one...
    Thanks
    Hey Krato,
    I am actually getting the HP Pavillion (3180us model). It is a good price for what you are getting and I read that core i7 processors are really powerful. The only downside I see with it, is the 5400 rpm hard disk instead of the 7200 rpm, which will improve boot times and speed up when opening programs. A feature I like about this model, is that you can add a second hard drive to it.

I don't have any previous experience with HP notebooks, but my brothers and cousin own other hp models for about a year, and so far they haven't found any problems at all.

Also, since you are in the US, a good tip is to shop around online in other places besides BestBuy. Try NewEgg and Tigerdirect. On Newegg you can get the same HP for $1350 after a $50 mailing rebate. Hope that helps
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maestro Andres For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I also have to throw in the suggestion on not getting an hp laptop. As stated they have design flaws.

I had an HP pavilion a week after the 1 year warranty expired the video card problem appeared and the computer was totally useless, tried to get it fixed but they kept running me in circles, worst customer service ever.

So either buy a tower, or really really research the computer your going to buy. Personally you don't need something supper awesome to run photoshop. Just something with ok processor, 2 hard drives and around 2 gigs of ram should be fine for anything photoshop related.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm researching laptops, and I'm trying to find a good one too. I'm thinking maybe a Dell, but I'm going to research Macbooks too - an acquaintance at school has a macbook, and she said it was 600 - half the price of the Dell laptop I'm looking at. If it can right click, run Photoshop and run CoD4 and Dragon Age.. Maybe I'll look into it more seriously.
    The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hitnrun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Dunno about the hps, but I've had my MacBook Pro for years now, I run the entire CS suite on it with no problems, and do all my work on it including whacking huge high-res Photoshop files and massive Flash files that would have crashed my old Dell instantly. I love this machine, and it's still ticking along beautifully.

The only problem I ever had was the battery dying dramatically, but that was only because it was the first generation battery (which had issues) and Apple replaced it for free right away. No problems at all since then. If you buy a new MacBook, it should have a good battery to begin with.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitnrun View Post
    I'm researching laptops, and I'm trying to find a good one too. I'm thinking maybe a Dell, but I'm going to research Macbooks too - an acquaintance at school has a macbook, and she said it was 600 - half the price of the Dell laptop I'm looking at. If it can right click, run Photoshop and run CoD4 and Dragon Age.. Maybe I'll look into it more seriously.
    HP and Dell have the highest rate of failures in all of the tier 1/2 manufacturers after the first year. So if you want something that has an exponetially higher rate of failure at the 1, 2 and 3 year brackets, go for an HP or a Dell.

The lower end are Toshiba, Apple and Lenovo.

Acer have been known to have power supply issues and various other things. HP video cars, Dell is just a disaster.

Just to give you an example. I've used it elsewhere but Dell buys everything in bulk and there is no standard. If you were to go to Toshiba, Lenovo, Apple, they all standardize their parts. So if they have seagate harddrives one day, the next day they'll have them as well. But Dell doesn't do it that way. They put the parts out to bid. Whoever comes in at the lowest cost THAT time wins. A computer built the very next day could have different brand of memory, harddrive, fans, etc in it.

Their customer service is also the worst I have ever seen. I had a dell laptop, it was a desktop replacemnt and I was super excited about it. The video card fried the motherboard and I did all diagnostics youc an before calling tech support to bring it in under warranty. They made me stay on the phone for an hour on hold. Then I got through to India, the guy didn't understand wht I was saying half of the time and was reading off of a script. He told me that women couldn't know how to do diagnostics so he was going to have to ask me to do it again (not even kidding, I wish I was) and after that I FINALLY got the info to send my computer back. They sent it back to me not even fixed. I had to send it back again and they sent it back. It did the same thing 3 months after that.

The whole experience after spending a buttload of money for what I thought was a good laptop was so horrifying, I went away from them.

I think honestly Apple is my favourite, but if you want a windows based one, lenovo or toshiba... But Toshiba would be more geared towards art I think.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dell is just a disaster.
    YES. IT IS. DON'T GET A DELL. Everyone I know who's ever had a Dell had it die horribly within the first two years. I had an Inspiron and as soon as the warranty expired it died a long slow lingering painful death as all the parts failed one after the other (the fans went first, Dell is notorious for crappy fans.)

By the way, if you get Apple, it might be worth it to get AppleCare for the best service...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm quite happy with my Asus G50. It runs art programs flawlessly, and can run most any game at medium or high resolution. It's high on your price range, but you can probably snag a refurbished one for under $1000.

EDIT: I've had bad experiences with HP and Acer; Hardware failures and terrible tech support. Just my two cents, but avoid them.
    Last edited by Nateman742; March 11th, 2010 at 09:41 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nateman742 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would recommend getting an HP... very good computers. Try getting an i7 processor, at least 4 gigs of RAM, and a 1 gig video card in it. All the people complaining simply have had bad luck... i got an HP and it works very well, and i've also seen macbook pros go to hell for no reason (also the latest CS suite from Adobe has some probs with the latest Mac OS). If your in the states, you also warranties and stuff, so even if something happens, you can repair it/replace it.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

25. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I own a macbook pro. It was my first mac ever and I love it! I don't know how I ever lived without it!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    lol sarc, I'm thinking the same thing. I'm a lifelong pc guy but my macbook pro 13.3 was one of the better purchases I've made.

I regularly extend it to a 22 inch monitor at 1680 x 1050 and handle extremely large ps/painter images. The laptop has excellent battery power and recharges in a heartbeat. The screen is amazingly bright and clear. And the aluminum unibody case is beautiful and functional.

The clicking action on my trackpad is broken though and unfortunately, they'd have to keep my laptop for a week to fix it.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Elam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GriNGo View Post
    ... All the people complaining simply have had bad luck... i got an HP and it works very well...
    It's not just simply badluck, thers over 100 pages of people having the issues on their laptop at the hp forum.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Display...lem/td-p/30856

31. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Actually I had a macbook that started having all kinds of problems just a little after a year of use (mainly screen related) and I handled it with care. One of the reasons why there probably aren't so many complaints about macs might also be: because you payed hideous money for it, you have pimped the thing to shreds to you friends and had endless monologues on how sleek it is and how it never fucks up (but you don't really know) and when it finally does your ego can't bring you to say it, the most you can hope for is: "I'm having some minor issues."

Thanks
    Or.... maybe it could just be that some people have, indeed, actually been using their MacBook for years with no problems other than one battery incident? And that their MacBook is a friggin' dream machine compared to the godawful nightmare that their old Dell was...? (Had it since 2006, to be precise.)

Just sayin'. No need to take out your bitterness on people who have actually had good experiences with their Macs.

Thanks
    Spec beats manufacturer. A high spec Dell will beat an entry level macbook anyday.

I have a reasonably well spec'd and well maintained Dell laptop that has been running all sorts of intensive stuff since 2008. I've not had a single issue, and price-for-price it was a bargain.

That said Macbooks are incredibly sexy beasts (the screen latch, the magnetic powerlead... aww), that usually run gorgeously smoothly - If you feel can put up with the infuriating mac bullshit, then go for it.

Thanks
    A high spec Dell will beat an entry level macbook anyday.
    I actually HAD a high spec Dell (pretty much the highest spec affordable laptop of it's day, and I loaded it up with extra everything...) It was admittedly sexy for the first year, mostly all right for the second year... died hard as soon as the warranty ran out after the second year. But I think someone already mentioned, with Dells you get the luck of the draw - some batches have good parts, others not so good. Yours may be one of the good ones, if you're lucky (keep an eye on that third year, though.)

But of course you have to be willing to put up with infuriating Windows bullshit. (MY GOD I do not miss Windows. Ever. At all.)

Admittedly I have one of the better class of MacBooks, 17-inch monitor MacBook Pro, loaded up with extra RAM, extra storage, everything I could throw at it - so maybe it's not entry-level, I don't know. Anyway, I like it loads better than my old Dell.

(Then again I've always liked Macs better than Windows anyway. As you can probably tell. So I'm kinda biased. Not that I haven't tried Windows, I've been back and forth between Mac and Windows for years, starting with Mac OS7 and Windows Prehistoric, I forget what version... And I still like Macs...)
    Last edited by QueenGwenevere; March 13th, 2010 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Just sayin'. No need to take out your bitterness on people who have actually had good experiences with their Macs.
    So am I. Just sayin'.

Thanks
    Actually, no, you're not. You're making broad insulting generalizations about, apparently, everyone who prefers Macs. Take your bile out on the product, if you like, or the company that makes the product - say whatever you want about Apple or Macs in general, you're totally entitled to that. But please don't resort to calling a lot of individuals you've never met a bunch of egotistical liars, thank you.

Thanks
    Had 2 HP's. First was awesome - Second one fried in about a year. I wouldn't trust it..

Thanks
    Actually, no, you're not. You're making broad insulting generalizations about, apparently, everyone who prefers Macs. Take your bile out on the product, if you like, or the company that makes the product - say whatever you want about Apple or Macs in general, you're totally entitled to that. But please don't resort to calling a lot of individuals you've never met a bunch of egotistical liars, thank you.
    you guys coulda took all that into private message about 6 post ago

just saying
    Www.facebook.com/anthonycareyartworks I'm between personal websites.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to ShotgunTony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    As long as you don't buy a Dell.

I have a Dell Studio 17.

DO. NOT. BUY. A. DELL.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    How can you afford to switch back and forth between platforms? I actually buy my software and now that I've gone to a pc I'm not switching back to a mac and buying $20,000 worth of software again. That doesn't even count a 3d program like Max

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Couldn't one of the moderators combine the mac vs. pc with the digital vs. traditional and the atheists vs. religous people arguments, all in one forum so when we feel like arguing we don't have to hunt around for a fight? Can we get a ruling on this? Elwell?

44. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDevil View Post
    It's not just simply badluck, thers over 100 pages of people having the issues on their laptop at the hp forum.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Display...lem/td-p/30856
    So you want me to post the link to Apples forum with people that have had issues with their macbooks pros? every computer manufacturer has problems with their stuff, it's unavoidable.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    YES. IT IS. DON'T GET A DELL. Everyone I know who's ever had a Dell had it die horribly within the first two years. I had an Inspiron and as soon as the warranty expired it died a long slow lingering painful death as all the parts failed one after the other (the fans went first, Dell is notorious for crappy fans.)

By the way, if you get Apple, it might be worth it to get AppleCare for the best service...
    Dell really does seem to be pretty random. I got an Inspiron 8600 about 6 years ago for undergrad. After about 8 months, the fan died, and I had to get that replaced. About a 6 months later, the Hard Drive failed, and I had to get a replacement. Finally, about 3 and a half years in, the backlight for the screen died. I was no longer covered by warranty by then, and had to spend $80 to get that fixed. Although ever since then, it's been working fine. Just installed Windows 7 on it, and other than the fact that Aero7 doesn't work with the graphics cards it has on it, it's still pretty blazing.

Anyways, I highly suggest not using your laptop for gaming if you can help it. Lower end MacBooks will definitely not support any of the newer games, and if you want to play them with even medium high settings, you'd need to spend quite a bit for a laptop with a decent graphics card. Not to mention, with the power drain, you wouldn't be gaming on the 'go' either, since you'd pretty much need to be plugged in.

Make sure to get 4GB of ram too, 2GB is definitely not enough.