Sketchbook: Sketch the book up - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man, i love that paiting with the skull knight, its really cool! that old man with glasses looks great too.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Johnscj: thanks

a study and another undead guy

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! cool personal thing, and I like how you used the brushes in your last study. Be careful with anatomy, maybe try to do anatomy study sometimes Keep it up dude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates my friend! I would add more sharp edges on last one, mainly in light areas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yah dood, some serious skillz here. Great brushstrokes throughout. Love the way you handle that. My only crit would be to push some of them farther. Go that step or two beyond where you would normally stop. Great stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    post #78 kicks ass.
    nice book man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    post #78 kicks ass.
    nice book man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RV- : will do, thanks
    blu01: yeah mate, thanks for advice
    Nickodemus: hey thanks...push farther you say...okay, I'll try to do that
    FROZ3N: thanks mate

okay, I haven't been here for a while, but from now on I'm going to work my ass off...last month was a bit weird, everything I started to paint turned out to be shit and the same goes for sketches, so I'm posting only a few things that aren't utter crap and a wip from today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there, very cool monster sketches!
    my crit: in the last piece, some great work designing those faces and rendering them out. i especially like the eyes of the middle guy, seems thats where most of your focus was. some of the edges seem a bit too soft, the actual rendering of them being blurred out is really well done, but in my opinion the effect is a bit too strong and the effect of pushing those areas into the background is a bit too pronounced. overall, the whole thing has loads of soft edges, and i think it could really shine if you took the time to put in some harder edges in the areas that need it (such as the face in the middle! his teeth, his mouth, cheeks...).
    in terms of value, also, if you squint your eyes while looking at it, the whole middle-face seems to have the same value range-pattern, of very dark to middle-gray to light-white, with the same proportional distance between them, making it look like it was lit very artificially (like with some very specific studio cameras used for a jarring effect). perhaps focusing the whites on only a single area of the face where the light is strongest, and have the values slowly dwindle down as they move away, would work (for example just lowering the brightness on the hornish bits and his chin, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aks9: hey, thanks! yeah, I'm just still experimenting with soft brushes, so it's hard for me to find balance between the hard and soft edges...and as for the values, youre absolutely right, thanks for pointing it out to me. I guess I just got carried away and forgot about the lighting, so stupid...

got bored with b&w stuff so I decided to experiment a bit with colours...anyway, it's not finished yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not much of an update today...because of a massive hangover I wasn't able to do pretty much anything the whole day, I only somehow managed to finish this guy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaevidK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap man your portrait stuff is siiiiiiiiiiiiiick, your figures could use some work tho, i see you repeat some mistakes over and over again, so keep in mind if you realize the way you draw isnt working figure out why and change how you do it, the thing is alot of your figures look kind of flat (i mean the pencil ones, the digital ones have a great feeling of volume through your edge work alone) i think you could practice perspective and push the figures to work in a space, also some of your compositions are very weak, look up some illustrations by artist that you admire and see how they handle the points of interest and the way they guide the viewers eye through the painting, there are several principles you can use for that, i like the law of thirds but there are people that also use the golden rule, i really like your drawings and your concepts, im sorry i cant give you a more particular advice like (work on proportions or the leg is in that drawing is off) but i dont like to do that, since we as artist know our big flaws and proportions and anatomy are things you will work on every day of your life.

also i see you dont do studies prior to making a painting you should start doing that! let me explain: lets say you want to draw a mermaid illustration but so far you dont know how the whole thing will look you only know that you want the mermaid to be having fun with her underwater friends, so use studies to make the illustration stronger, draw a bunch of fish and a bunch of mermaids (even if you copy other artist drawings as long as it is for education purposes its fine in fact i encourage you to do that! theres alot you can learn by looking at other peoples work) little by little and study by study you will start to get this glimpses of how you want the drawing to look like, then after you study do like 10 idk thumbnails of possible compositions (keep your eye open and try to make 10 completely different compositions) play with camera shots, maybe crazy foreshortening theres alot of things that you arent using to your advantage!

you have a bright future ahead of you, your imagination stuff its strong but you need to give it a hand to make it look awesome! keep working hard man! i know you can do this! good luck ill come by some other time i hope to see more improvement by then

red this tutorial http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm
    and if you want check out this website: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/tag/principles-of-design/

Cheers!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuuu, toto si zabil! krasne

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eclip-se: diky
    lionheartGFX: wow, thanks for the comment! yeah, youre right about those things, I will work on them...thanks for advice and the links!

there's so much stuff I need to get better at, that I need to work on, goddamnit...anyway, here is some quick stuff. As I'm looking at the pictures, I just realised that the first two have the same weird pose...
    the third guy was meant to be for anthony jones contest, but I didn't submit it, because I was too late...nevertheless, it was a lot of fun to do
    will upload some pages from sketchbook as soon as I get my hands on a scanner

Last edited by DaevidK; January 28th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pencils!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a bit of an update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    real nice pencil sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my god dude i just love your pencil hatching and line weight! your proportion its getting a bit crazy sometimes but that stuff comes with practice, read about landmarks and balance so it doesnt matter if you CHANGE the proportions (to do a creature or stuff like that) if you know your anatomical landmarks and how balance works in both human and animal skeletons you can create creatures and aliens with much more structure and freedom to design to your liking, i love your pencil stuff dude keep posting that and the digitals too keep it up!

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aks9: thanks man
    lionheartGFX: hey, thanks. Yeah, I'm slowly working on that anatomy but...it takes time:/

still a wip...but it's last of that armored stiff boring set of guys I've been painting...I'm just trying to find out how far can I push it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    selfportrait

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha great updates mate, you can try to push a little more on your pencil or adjust your drawings a little in PS to get better results after scanning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blu01: yeah, actually they are adjusted, but I had to raise the contrast a lot, because the drawings from the other side of the pages were showing through (they still are, but it's slightly better)...if I hadn't, the page would be all messy

I haven't posted anything in a while...I'm not resting on laurels though. Working on that anatomy and painting in general. The internet is such a great resource! And I bought some books on those subjects as well...soo yeah, all the knowledge is right within my reach, I just have to get it all in my head.
    Super fast Spartacus studies, photostudy and some sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work on those last pieces and the portrait

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aks9: thanks man!

Used about 110 layers on this, crazy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is crazy! i've been doing all my studies on just 4 or 5 layers at most (figure, ground-shadow, background, and details)

have you thought about using less blacks for the deep shadows, especially in the two last pictures you posted? (very nice char in the 2nd to last one btw). on that one, i wonder if brightening the blacks a little might help, and in the latest picture, changing those total black shadows to a really dark colour might help it too, especially considering how much ambient light there should be if the background is as light as that.
    really cool skull, is that a specific animal? you did a great job rendering it

Last edited by aks9; March 21st, 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aks9: to be honest I like the black...I tried changing it to a dark colour but it didn't work for me. But yeah, I guess I should be more economical with it, not using it as much. And the skull is made up, no real animal thanks!

WIP...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    made a bit of a progress on the wip

Last edited by DaevidK; April 6th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few sketches, again most of the other stuff I've done is not really worth posting here or anything...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love flicking through your work and seeing your progression. It makes me really want to work harder at my own weaknesses. Keep it up, you have real ability.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OldOmen: glad to hear that, thanks!

Crap

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2