Sketchbook: Shiroboi's undead sketchbook of fun

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shiroboi's undead sketchbook of fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shiroboi's undead sketchbook of fun

This is a continuation of a sketchbook I started last year. I really want to get into iOS game design full time and to do that, I need to do some serious improvement. I've since doubled my efforts and am now drawing every morning and evening on my daily train commute. I'm starting to see some results and it's easier to jump into drawing now. New 2012 stuff starts on page 2. Thanks for taking a look. I promise to work hard!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shiroboi; May 24th, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drew this during Katsucon at my table when I was bored. I wanted a badass, completely evil woman in a organic type power suit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first attempt at doing a larger sized portrait on 11x17 paper. It really throws my proportions off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last pencil one is great, nice line work - proportions seem okay apart from the hands, but I guess it depends on the style you want. Colouring it with a more translucent look would be good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rich_C For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    The last pencil one is great, nice line work - proportions seem okay apart from the hands, but I guess it depends on the style you want. Colouring it with a more translucent look would be good.
    My friend noted that the hands were a bit small and I agree. The proportions irk me enough that I probably won't color it but I feel like it was a good exercise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Catgirl Picture-This is going to be part of a 3 artist collaboration piece advertising our table at Otakon. I'll post the final when its done.

Second Picture is some of my original characters that I'd like to use to do a comic one day. I'm still working out outfit colors and I might redraw the girl in a more dynamic pose. Comments are very welcome on this especially in regards to character design and color.

Last edited by shiroboi; March 11th, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mangas power.....
    the last one is nice...some mistakes but nice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dessinateurimpulsif For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dessinateurimpulsif View Post
    mangas power.....
    the last one is nice...some mistakes but nice.
    Thank you very much. People seem to be liking my more-detailed, less-anime/manga style drawings which isn't surprising coming from this site. Thanks again. Hopefully I won't make those same mistakes in my next piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I'm showing my work for the past year, I thought I'd skip back to two Fanart Commission pieces from January. They're from the series Ah! My Goddess by Kosuke Fujishima. From here on out, I'll try to post more of my original stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pirate, WIP
    Did this last night. About 2 hrs in Photoshop. Just using a hard round brush.

Going to be working on my digital painting a bit. Trying to loosen up.

Last edited by shiroboi; March 9th, 2010 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished the Pirate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dug up a commission I did during Katsucon back in February. Its his Never Winter Nights character who's a half-drow beserker.

Last edited by shiroboi; March 12th, 2010 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weird, my last post didn't register as a post. Somethings glitchy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, this is the first real study in this sketchbook. I hadn't gotten to draw all weekend so I finally managed to get some quiet time to sit down and do some hand studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sigh, i don't know why I post an image and my post is not bumped to the top. This is very frustrating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgot to upload this. Was playing Crysis Warhead and thought I'd try my hand at coming up with a futuristic marine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pencils are doing better than your inks, in my honest opinion. You don't vary your line width much at all, if any, in your inked pieces. Your pencils, especially the torso of the girl (looks like cammy- Post #3) really are doing much better in this department.

What are you inking with?

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Designs, that last one is impressive.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post
    Your pencils are doing better than your inks, in my honest opinion. You don't vary your line width much at all, if any, in your inked pieces. Your pencils, especially the torso of the girl (looks like cammy- Post #3) really are doing much better in this department.

This would depend on what he's going for. It is usually though not always the case anymore when you look at anime that a single line width is used. It's mostly used in Cel and Game animation because it was to generally eliminate stlyes from various animators or people working on that department. Not a defense but you will see it often in anime style works because many just copy the look but don't understand its history.

I will say, however a lot of the work can really benefit from good ol' color theory. A good example are the OMG (or Ah My Goddess style girls). Way too much...kind of black and darks. It also goes into relying too much on gradients to get your "Tricks". Learn how to use themes to get a mood and start limiting your colors to get an emotional effect.

I like Cel work too but there are good ways to make things pop.

In addition, for your Marine, I think you should take a look at Parka's post on the blogs of animators of Pixar and Dreamworks. Why? You can still achieve a very cartoony and anime style by how Shape Recognition works in character design.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=157081

Great Example is the movie UP! Main character is a box, you can tell he feels weighted by burdens and the world, his wife....she looks like an exclamation point which gives her an energetic feel. Russell is a big cute ball.

Tom Bancroft's book also goes into these tips and I think is really helpful for learning and combining styles and also giving it your own take and personality into character development. http://amzn.com/0823023494

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post

I feel like you're dead on. I've had an inking dilemma for some time now. I used to ink by hand using ballpoints or technical pens but I switched to inking digitally in Photoshop. I have the worst time getting nice smooth lines in photoshop using the hard round brush. It takes a long time and the result isn't even that good. I switched over to inking in Manga Studio and it was a noticable improvement in both speed and line variation. However, manga studio doesn't want to play nice with my Intuos 3. So currently, I'm working on said "Cammy" piece and not inking at all, I'm just coloring the pencil in Photoshop CS5. Its coming along nicely so far but its taking a while.

Arshes Nei is spot on though, I started off learning to color animation cels and based on what I was using as reference, all lines were the same width. I guess its been passed on through my style for a while. Its been a real problem for me and I'd welcome any suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SageTso View Post
    Nice Designs, that last one is impressive.
    Thank you very much. You're the first person to comment on it. I still am not totally happy with it. My technical designs need to get a lot better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    This would depend on what he's going for. It is usually though not always the case anymore when you look at anime that a single line width is used. It's mostly used in Cel and Game animation because it was to generally eliminate stlyes from various animators or people working on that department. Not a defense but you will see it often in anime style works because many just copy the look but don't understand its history.

I will say, however a lot of the work can really benefit from good ol' color theory. A good example are the OMG (or Ah My Goddess style girls). Way too much...kind of black and darks. It also goes into relying too much on gradients to get your "Tricks". Learn how to use themes to get a mood and start limiting your colors to get an emotional effect.

I like Cel work too but there are good ways to make things pop.

In addition, for your Marine, I think you should take a look at Parka's post on the blogs of animators of Pixar and Dreamworks. Why? You can still achieve a very cartoony and anime style by how Shape Recognition works in character design.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=157081

Great Example is the movie UP! Main character is a box, you can tell he feels weighted by burdens and the world, his wife....she looks like an exclamation point which gives her an energetic feel. Russell is a big cute ball.

Tom Bancroft's book also goes into these tips and I think is really helpful for learning and combining styles and also giving it your own take and personality into character development. http://amzn.com/0823023494
    I've seen some tutorials based on some of those ideas. Great links by the way. Love looking through all the blogs. Those guys are so creative. I found a copy of Art and Fear that I'm going to be ordering. Only $8, cant go wrong with that. The creating characters book is a might-buy right now. I can think of some alternate uses for it and wouldn't mind adding it to my library. Thanks again for the wonderful information. Do you have a sketchbook I can check out?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far, I like what I see, but I think that you could use some value studies.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shiroboi View Post
    I've seen some tutorials based on some of those ideas. Great links by the way. Love looking through all the blogs. Those guys are so creative. I found a copy of Art and Fear that I'm going to be ordering. Only $8, cant go wrong with that. The creating characters book is a might-buy right now. I can think of some alternate uses for it and wouldn't mind adding it to my library. Thanks again for the wonderful information. Do you have a sketchbook I can check out?
    I admit I don't at the time. It's mostly due to the fact I work a lot of my sketches traditionally and I'm lazy about keeping up with scanning. I do have a few posts up with some art...lessee....

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=167429

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...3&postcount=43

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...0&postcount=55

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...9&postcount=88

But anyways, glad you ordered Art & Fear it's a good book.

Also in terms of coloring Skin Dani Draws has a some good tips

http://danidraws.com/2007/05/14/pain...ur-skin-tones/

So keep sketching!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    So far, I like what I see, but I think that you could use some value studies.

Your wish is my command. I'll make sure I slip at least one session in in the next month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished my Cyberpunk Love image. Took me a while. I just colored over my pencils and painted it with Photoshop CS5. While there are some flaws, I'm much more happy with this new direction and may continue working this way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I admit I don't at the time. It's mostly due to the fact I work a lot of my sketches traditionally and I'm lazy about keeping up with scanning. I do have a few posts up with some art...lessee....

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=167429

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...3&postcount=43

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...0&postcount=55

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...9&postcount=88

But anyways, glad you ordered Art & Fear it's a good book.

Also in terms of coloring Skin Dani Draws has a some good tips

http://danidraws.com/2007/05/14/pain...ur-skin-tones/

So keep sketching!

You're just chock full of useful reference info. Your stuff is awesome by the way. I'd like to do some painting from life to practice like you do. I'll let you know how Art and Fear is once I read it. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Due to popular request, I did a value study tonight. Just out of my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good in here, the Photoshop CS5 illustration has brilliant colors in it.

I just read an article about tone/values, and it really enlightened me. I guess one of the the basic foundations for a successful illustration is correct values/tone. Check out the book on the internet if you lgot the time: "Creative Illustration" by Andrew Loomis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Juki View Post
    Looking good in here, the Photoshop CS5 illustration has brilliant colors in it.

I just read an article about tone/values, and it really enlightened me. I guess one of the the basic foundations for a successful illustration is correct values/tone. Check out the book on the internet if you lgot the time: "Creative Illustration" by Andrew Loomis.
    Thanks for the tip. I just found a PDF of that book online. I'm going to read through it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.