Cartoony WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cartoony WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cartoony WIP

Sorry I don't know how to put it in the page without doing attachment. Critiques on a cartooned version of some of my friends.
    Thanks all in advance!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I create.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    photoshop colored

I create.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's not a lot of structure going on here, which really hurts the piece. Good cartooning takes as much structure and attention to things like perspective as realistic work. For instance, the guy in the hat has features that slide all over his face. The eyes aren't in perspective so you can't tell whether he's facing straight on or turned to the side. Nose and mouth don't agree with each other or the eyes, and the eyebrows don't seem to connect to the eyes. The eyes themselves are flat shapes rather than spheres. There are lines on his face that don't seem to describe actual shapes, which doesn't really help define what's going on there.

The other figures suffer similar issues. What I'd recommend is doing some study of how good cartoons are constructed. There's some fantastic information on this page and this one, and if you can get yourself a copy of Draw the Looney Tunes and learn as much as you can from it (and by learn, I mean draw). You may not be interested in the Preston Blair or Warner Brothers styles, but that's not important here. The exact same principles underly those cartoons, anime, feature films like Up, and the sort of thing you're trying to do. Study the basics, get good at structure, and everything you do will become easier.

Oh, and practice drawing circles and ellipses. If you're going to draw in cartoony styles, spheres and ovoid shapes are your first building blocks so it pays to get good at them.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the crits. Actually my buddies had this pic on their facebook and I thought it would be a great cartoony picture. here's the original..

I create.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks great, and very funny!

My only thought is that the cropping and overlap of the figure feels a bit weird. I'd draw the entire head of the right guy and move the middle figure over a bit so it sits in its own space.

As far as overall drawing goes, the best long-term advice I can give is to take a figure drawing class so you can get a clearer idea of how the anatomical forms work in 3D. This will be helpful even if you're working in a cartoony style like you are here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, I'd say have some life drawing classes and take some lessons by Preston Blare, who has books that state the basic construction of cartoons. They're well worth it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.