Sketchbook: Amanda's Sketchbook - Updated Nov.4.2010

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Amanda's Sketchbook - Updated Nov.4.2010

Hello, my name is Amanda and I'm an art student interested in game art with a bit of free time that wants to be filled with drawing...so that is what I'm going to try and do, as well as make improvements and stay positive. Any comments or critique is welcome, I'd also be interested in joining a sketchbook group if there are any out there with open spots or people willing to start a new one to help stay motivated. Just drop me a message or leave me a note here and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
    It is currently Sunday, March 7, 2010 and I am going to post a few things I've been working on this week before I go to bed.

Name:  kendra.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  124.1 KB
    Quick sketch of a friend at school.

Name:  switchW1.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  125.6 KB
    Picture I am working on for another friend's birthday.

Name:  canvas.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  87.4 KB
    Acrylic paintings I am working on for my baby cousin's room. (apologies for webcam quality photo.)

Name:  icon.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  24.6 KB

Last edited by Amanda Kate; November 4th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sunday, March 7, 2010. Quick portrait sketch in between family dinner and addiction to Torchlight.
    Name:  autoretrato1.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  123.5 KB

Thanks
    Monday, March 8, 2010.

Quick sketch of one of my characters while waiting for a squad to get their butts inside a dungeon.
    Name:  aiawaiting.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  93.7 KB

Last edited by Amanda Kate; March 8th, 2010 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Amanda welcome to the forums! Hah it seems useally sketchgroups fall apart so I'm just gona stay away from them. But I do have a small list of people whos sketchbooks I check frequently. I could add you onto it hah.

Any life drawing avalibale at your college? If so try and take advantage of it

Thanks
    Hello Dy.lanea and thanks for the welcome! Haha, I guess that makes sense since I havn't gotten any notes about finding a sketchgroup thus far. That would be awesome if you could add me to your list though, more motivation for me to keep up with this.

I took figure drawing at my college last year and I always feel like I'm making excuses about it which isn't helping me with my staying positive...hmm, what I can say is that it was my first experience with drawing from nude models and using so many different techniques and materials in what seemed like a short time. I didn't really understand what exactly the professor's expectations were early on and he was always always brutally honest which was a first for me so I was frustrated the whole semester. Looking back on it I think it was good for me and I wouldn't mind giving it another try..I'm not sure how compatible my class schedule is with taking it again but I will definitely ask my adviser if I can ever get a hold of her.

I type too much sometimes, apologies! ._.

Thanks
    Hi to you and all the best to the future in this site you seem very comfortable in you lines of your life poses and can't wait to see more like this from you but remember it's all about expressing yourself try some fast work or tonal peaces

Thanks
    hi amanda welcome to CA, I like you acrylics, you got the features in the portrait that's good, just keep practicing, keep posting, i will be around....cheer up!!

My Links

SB

Thanks
    Hello Mac Con and thank you!
    I will keep your advice in mind while I draw this week. I'm trying to schedule a 'drawing party' with a friend for sometime this week so hopefully I'll have a bunch of fun stuff to scan in at some point.

Thanks
    Thank you also Spawner!
    Guess Mondays are the day for posting, haha.
    I really enjoy acrylics and I'm actually taking a painting class this semester so hopefully I'll be able to snap some pictures and post them up here once I get my works to a place I'm comfortable with.
    I will definitely keep practicing and posting, thank you for the good motivation!

Thanks
    Darn no update D: Ok ill add you onto my list, but stop my sketchbook sometimes.

Yea, that's one thing I felt about college last year. Drawing was completly new to me and they were putting onto me a whole lot of information and I don't feel I had any time to really process alot of it. I feel that now I have a firmer grasp on drawing when people suggest new ways of doing things or thinking I am at least able to try it out.

Idk I just kept drawing in my sketchbook and I feel that taught me alot more then school did. Just keep drawing =) Even if you only have 5 min inbetween something you might as well draw. Every morning and evening I draw on the bus and train. Even if its only 10 min.

Thanks
    I know! Sorry, I was running around like a crazy person doing homework yesterday..and I was just getting good about updating consistently around 2am over the weekend haha. xD

I've added you to my baby collection of sketchbooks to check out so no worries I wont forget. ^^ Yea, things tend to move pretty fast in some art classes in college..my graphic design class I seem to be working on something different every week or two which is nice but I don't feel like I have time to develop things as much as I want to sometimes. Anyways! I was drawing a bit yesterday so I shall scan them in and update this sketchbook here.

Also..I wish I could draw during my commute to classes, but it's usually a 5 or less minute walk from my residence hall. x3 I shall find more time somewhere though.

Is it bad if my scanner is making like..growling noises? o.o Anyways..no time for that now, update~ness!

Pencil sketch before bed last night.
    Name:  fairygirl1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  147.8 KB

Thumbnails for a personal logo I am designing for a graphic design project.
    Name:  logos1.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  115.5 KB

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    Cool stuff. I suggest doing some anatomy or observational drawing when you get the time.

Thanks
    Thanks! Hopefully I'll have a chance tonight to draw some actual human beings. 0_0 I might be tagging along with my roommate to visit some friends during their rp club meeting and I'll carry my sketchbook along with me.

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    spend more quality time on your pieces

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by Krato, I will!

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    Alright quick update of some things I did today before I go to bed!

One of my neighbors while she was doing her homework.
    Name:  kelly.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  105.1 KB

Work in progress of a friend's dream car. (Red Chevrolet '99)
    Name:  redchevrolet1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  98.5 KB

Random people sitting around campus.
    Name:  picadilly1.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  107.4 KB

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    I totally forgot to post that I was working on this one a bit yesterday also, my bad. x.x
    Name:  switchW2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  128.0 KB

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    Ahhh I swear I did not forget that I set a goal to update this everyday! 0.0
    I've been studying for my western art history exam tomorrow and watching a friend's home movies but here is the painting (acrylics) I was working on during class this evening.

Name:  expressionportraitW1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  102.2 KB

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    Home movies eh? I wana make animation D:

Portraits looking intentionally flat, I had do do stuff like this too last year I suggest placeing some more saturated colors into it. Alots on the mid to low saturation level. Judgeing from the bad photo.
    You need darker values in the car depth is achieved by shifting values from dark to light and vise versa constantly. Nothing will stay the same value for any length in time. If it looks like it is you jsut need to look harder Once you add on color to that we are also juggleing hue shifts and saturation shifts along side value shifts. It's 20 x harder @___@

Yay more sketchs form life! Try and spend more time with the drawings, keep your lines as organized as you can.

Last edited by AlexEh; March 11th, 2010 at 06:27 AM.

Thanks
    Haha yea, my neighbor and her brother were pretty cute kids.
    You should make more animations! ^^

As for the flatness...I'm currently on my last week of studying expressionism which has been quite a challenge for me. I will try again to find the battery charger for my real camera instead of having to use my phone in crappy lighting when I forget to take a picture in the well lit studio. Much apologies! ._.

I will definitely work on values more as well as the other elements you mentioned. I didn't get a chance to go with my roommate to draw random friends of hers but I still have my neighbors who are willing to pose for the most part, haha.

Spending a lot of time seems to be a problem for me and a constant reminder from people, I realize and thank you for continuing to point it out.
    No excessive amounts of video games and procrastinating this weekend, I have papers to write but I will take drawing breaks for sure. I will continue to keep trying!

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    I got some pretty good drawing done tonight I think, and I'm uploading before it's technically tomorrow so I don't break my chain of an update every day. ^^

I would have liked to get more into exploring values but poor lighting and friends who can't sit still for hours prevented me.. I will try to change that. e_e

(45 minutes)
    Name:  natNali.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  173.4 KB

(30 minutes)
    Name:  kendra2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  186.8 KB

(35 minutes)
    Name:  katie1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  124.6 KB

(5 minutes)
    Name:  tracy1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  92.6 KB

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    Great job with the drawing today! I definently suggest studying some loomis, it's a good starting area to work on structure. For rendering I think it would be a good idea to just draw or paint some really basic items around the house and shine one light source on it.

Thanks
    Thanks Dylan! I will definitely check out loomis and do some studies of basic items around the house this weekend when I am home and can find a better desk lamp. ^^

Here's some drawings from this afternoon, my neighbors are still super excited about posing for me but the moment I tell them they are free to move again they are all like OH THANK GAWD. Who knew sitting could be so painful? :p

(20 minutes)
    Name:  kendra3.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  168.4 KB

(30 minutes)
    Name:  katie2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  113.4 KB

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    Today was a rainy and busy day..not very fun. I found a decent lamp to use and this interesting toy...fruit? o.o' I'm not exactly sure what it is but I tried to work on capturing all the colors and how the light hit it. Was a challenge and I will have to spend more time practicing for sure.

Name:  fruit1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  78.5 KB

Woot for me keeping with my one update a day for a whole week! Hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend.

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    hi amanda!!, i was watching your sketches, and Dy lanea, posted that spend more quality time in your drawings, and so you did i was scrolling down the page and was very big step, the difference between your first sketches and those last ones, keep the same flow, i can see soon you will improve great......oh and the digital is better to, are you in arts college?
    which grade?.

well see you later i want to scan something too....keep it....

My Links

SB

Thanks
    Hey there Spawner!
    I know..I know ._. Rushing on stuff has become a very bad habit of mine, and I'm trying hard to fix it. I'm glad there is a noticeable step from the top of the thread to the bottom. ^^

I am currently a junior in college and I am studying art with a minor in something with a long title that is technically computer science x3 ..but my school is not specifically an art college which has been a bit of a challenge but I'm trying to make the most of it as I'm nearly done.

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    cool! computer science, well you including me are in good hands here in conceptart community, i'm positive you will improve, it really feel good when you make an effort for what you honestly feel you want to do the rest of your life, well here in mexico is kinda a joke to try to be an artist, yes here are few good artist, but you know the world is outside of the little pool, in the ocean where the sharks are, i have a lot problems making clients to pay me, i know i'm not the best but is decent shit you know hahaha...
    they always think oh is your hobby?... damn NO!! is my AIR!!...and yeah where are having a talk in two places...by the way..

My Links

SB

Thanks
    Yea, my school likes to call it a "well rounded gaming major" and I didn't really do as much research I should have in high school I just wanted to get out of the house and living at school, so I got stuck taking programming for two years before I decided I *needed* art, heh. e.e Yea, I know I can and will improve if I put in the effort, I believe anyone can do nearly anything they want with enough time and effort. Just gotta get to it.

I'm hoping I can get a job doing what I love for a living, that would be quite amazing I think. That sounds really difficult and discouraging being an artist in Mexico. ): The world can be harsh sometimes. Hopefully it wont always be like that. But you tell 'em!

I just mentioned in your thread we are talking in two places, haha. Not sure if you are online or not or if you use it often but I added you on msn. ^^

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    ZZzzz took too long drawing and chatting and it's time for bed. Here's an early update for Sunday just in case I get too absorbed in the two papers I'm going to write tomorrow. e.e

Name:  autoretrato2.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  202.0 KB

Sketchbooks:

Amanda | Dylan | Krato |

Thanks
    Wow, its already looking alot better. Good job with the still life, good to0 see your not afraid of useing saturated colors and dark values. Ya... I spent a good year doing only quick bad drawings when I first started. It didnt do much good for me >__<

Once I started spending more time with my stuff I saw alot more improvement. But one hand I feel like I started spending more time on my drawings when I felt ready to.

Lol I'm used to seeing heads larger then they should be but on that last one the head is very small! Also the cranium should be a little larger.Good job on the hand. You need to study anatomy though, your not really seeing the sub structures of the arms

Good luck on the papers, I hate those @__@

Last edited by AlexEh; March 14th, 2010 at 06:33 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.