Thanks

Inspiring Quotes Collection

Hey guys -

I've been listening to a lot of interviews lately and have been getting some quotes stuck in my head to really inspire me and kick my ass to get moving with art.

I thought it would be fun to start compiling some quotes that we have all learned from to get us motivated.

A couple here:

"It's about where you want to go & where you don't want to stay" - algenpfleger in Dave Rapoza's live stream

"Some people are born with it, some people have to work twice as hard" -
    my friend on talent

"you can do so much but you're doing nothing because you're not focused"
    - Greg Manchess from Sidebar interview
    Last edited by angelo cordon; March 4th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    My all time faves:

"This too shall pass"

This phrase originates from a Jewish tale about King Solomon, who asks for a ring that has the power to make sad men happy, and happy men sad, simply when looking at it. When Solomon receives the ring and reads what's written on it, the smile vanishes from his face, as he realises that all his power and wealth are fleeting things, and that one day he will be nothing but dust.
    What this phrase means to me is that it basically just reminds you that time does heal all wounds. When I find myself being sad over little or great things, having the knowledge that it does get better helps. It also reminds you to cherish the good moments, because they won't last either.

Also, this one:

"Yes, you suck. Now do something about it."

Harsh, but so true.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Armonah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice idea for a thread!

"We do what we have to do, to do what we want to do" (or something like that) Heard it in the movie "The Great Debaters".

"Failure is an option, but fear is not"

James Cameron, from this interesting lecture: James Cameron: Before Avatar...a curious boy

Thanks
    Be yourself, everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdamGillespie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers." - Kahlil Gibran

"There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart’s desire, the other is to gain it." - George Bernard Shaw

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yammz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice, there are some good ones up here!

Another one I remembered

"It takes 100 bad drawings to get 1 good drawing"

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    One of my favorites is in my signature below, by Michaelangelo
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Here are some of my faves

"Theory has no place in an artist's basic education. It is the eye and the hand that should be exercised during the impressionable years of youth. It is always possible to later acquire the accessory knowledge involved in the production of a work of art, but never -- and I want to stress that point -- never can the will, perseverance, and tenacity of a mature man make up for insufficient practice. And can there be such anguish compared to that felt by the artist who sees the realization of his dream compromised by weak execution?"

Bouguereau

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out where the strong man stumbled, or where a doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, and who comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause. The man who at best knows the triumph of high achievement and who at worst, if he fails, fails while daring greatly, so that his place will never be with those cold timid souls who never knew victory or defeat."
    ---Teddy Roosevelt

In the fields of observation chance favors only the prepared mind.
    Louis Pasteur

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Once you had to be a genius to make works of art. Now you have to be a genius to understand them.
    Roy Emmins

If you are not skillful enough to sketch a man jumping out of a window in the time it takes him to fall from the fourth story to the ground, you will never be able to produce great works of art.
    Eugéne Delacroix

Titian, Rembrandt and Goya were the great painters. I am only a public clown.
    Pablo Picasso

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept.
    Ansel Adams

Imitation is not inspiration, and inspiration only can give birth to a work of art. The least of man's original emanations is better that the best of a borrowed thought. Albert Pinkham Ryder

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

I believe in single-sitting impressions. If you will acquire the ability and facility to do rapidly the thing that might cause you great trouble and time, you will place yourself in a position to record a great many things that do not last long. Nature rarely repeats itself and one does not always find one’s self in the same state of mind.
    -William Merritt Chase

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.
    -Thoreau

A high degree of expertise in technique has always had, and always will have, a predominate place in art. The subject, in itself, has value only according to the mode of the day. Tomorrow it will be superseded by a new fashion or fad. With the passing of time, the subject loses much of its meaning. But the fine execution of that subject retains its value. ----- Nicholai Fechin

Art is a religion to those who devote their lives to it. It is a Livelihood to those whose efforts are functional. It is a haven of relaxation and pleasure to those who can devote only part of their time to it. Be it religion, livelihood, or haven, it contributes at all times to our progress, our culture and our happiness. ----- Frank J. Reilly

Brush strokes carry a message whether you will it or not. The stroke is just like the artist at the time he makes it. All the certainties, all the uncertainties, all the bigness of his spirit and all the littleness are in it. ----- Robert Henri

Can anything be more tragic than to feel the infinite beauty of your surroundings, to read natures innermost secrets and, conscious of your own helplessness, to be incapable of expressing those powerful emotions? ----- Isaac Levitan

The public loves to be dictated to in matters of art- to feel that the painter is “onto his job.” It will pass by the man who says “I think,” and stand rapt every time before the picture of the man who says “I know.” Aim to tell the truth: but if you have to lie, lie courageously. A courageous lie has often more virtue than a timid truth.
    ----- Birge Harrison

Project your mind into your subject till you actually live in it. Throw your heart into the picture and jump in after it….
    Art is not a transcript or a copy. Art is the expression of those beauties and emotions that stir the human soul. ----- Howard Pyle

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Some excellent quotes here already!

I have one in my signature by Cicero which I've loved for years. In English:

"Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill".

I like it, because it reminds me that no one is born with some exquisite natural talent, but behind all successes is just a lot of good old hard work and practice.
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    One of my all time favourite quotes actually comes from the Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (gah! nerdy, I know), where Frodo is talking about how he wishes "none of this had happened," and Gandalf responds
    "So do all who see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
    Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGoldfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Hunter S Thompson:

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

"I understand that fear is my friend, but not always. Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."

"You'd better take care of me, Lord...because if you don't you're going to have me on your hands."

"When you bring an act into this town, you want to bring it heavy. Don't waste any time with cheap shucks and misdemeanors. Go straight for the jugular. Get right into felonies."

Optimus Prime:

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

Conan O'Brien:

"All I ask is one thing, and I'm asking this particularly of young people that watch. Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism, for the record. It's my least favorite quality. It doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life get's exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

Carl Sagan

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

"The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas."

"If we can't think for ourselves, if we're unwilling to question authority, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. But if the citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us. In every country, we should be teaching our children the scientific method and the reasons for a Bill of Rights. With it comes a certain decency, humility and community spirit. In the demon-haunted world that we inhabit by virtue of being human, this may be all that stands between us and the enveloping darkness."

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    One needs to be a bit careful about attributing quotes. In the internet world quotes sometimes get attributed to the last person that used them publicly, not to the original creator. With that in mind, here are a few of my favourites:

"Life is not about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself" - George Bernard Shaw

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of ten thousand who, on the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and resting died" - Omar Kayam

My sig line, "The truth will set you free, but first its gonna piss you off" - Gloria Steinem

And my all time favourite:

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure" - Ripley
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    “Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes”

-Oscar Wilde

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

--Michael Jordan ( I think I stole this from someone's sig )

"You're only going to go as far as you're willing to jump." - unknown

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    "It was the tension between these two poles - a restless
    idealism on one hand and a sense of impending doom on
    the other - that kept me going."
    Hunter S. Thompson

...I've kept this one in my e-mail signature for ages.
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

25. The Following User Says Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "Six years ago when I was 35 my work was sub-par to everyone's, because up until that point I hadn't actually done any. Now I'm a full time illustrator."
    - Baron "nothing is" Impossible

Thanks
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.' - Samuel Beckett

Never read the man's work, but that quote makes me want to.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LemonTwist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is the extended version of my sig:

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”
    Last edited by Peetaer; March 12th, 2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: ah yes
    Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    My favorite one's from Joseph Campbell

"Follow your bliss"

“The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.”

"Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths"

"The role of the artist I now understood as that of revealing through the world-surfaces the implicit forms of the soul, and the great agent to assist the artist was the myth"
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Snair For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I forgot where I heard this from,

"You'll only go as far as you're willing to jump."

Android? Don't remember...

Also from Ho Che Anderson

"Once you know the rules, you're free to break them. It's those who don't know the rules and stumble blindly that I'd be worried about"

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    "We artists are indestructible; even in a prison, or in a concentration camp, I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." Pablo Picasso

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BySilent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "If you wish to seek the highest truth, start with the alphabet"
    - Japanese Proverb

"The wise man does not contemplate death, but rather how to life live"
    -Benedict Spinoza

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Atom James For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "It's your world, your future, you control it. Whatever you do, early on, is how you mold it."
    - Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Sorry, I can't resist adding this just because it's so ultimately uber-geeky:

"Try? No. Do or Do Not. There is no try." - Yoda

Hey, all the good quotes were taken.

Oh yeah, and...

"Free your mind and your ass will follow." - PFunk

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whether it's fact or not I don't really care:

Legend has it that Pablo Picasso was sketching in the park when a woman approached him.

“It’s you — Picasso, the great artist! Oh, you must sketch my portrait! I insist.”

So Picasso agreed to sketch her. After studying her for a moment, he used a single pencil stroke to create her portrait. He handed the woman his work of art.

“It’s perfect!” she gushed. “You managed to capture my essence with one stroke, in one moment. Thank you! How much do I owe you?”

“Five thousand dollars,” the artist replied.

“B-b-but, what?” the woman sputtered. “How could you want so much money for this picture? It only took you a second to draw it!”

To which Picasso responded, “Madame, it took me my entire life.”

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Ah, that reminds me of another one about an auto mechanic that I vaguely remember...

Something about a guy having trouble with his car and bringing it to a mechanic... the mechanic looks it over for a few minutes, kicks it, and it runs fine. The mechanic tells the guy "That'll be three hundred and five dollars." The guy complains, "But all you did was kick it! How can it cost that much!?" And the mechanic says "Five dollars for kicking the car. Three hundred dollars for knowing where to kick."

Or something like that.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "In the begining, God created the Heavens and the earth." First sentence.

"Amen!" Last word in the bible.

Have any of you wondered why Words would have been spoken? Some say in the begining there was the word but, why would words be needed? It would just be pure thoughts, right?

Thanks
    "in the beginning"

From a purely physics perspective it's a little difficult to determine just where "the beginning" is, and what, if anything was present.

From an evolutionary point of view, life at "the beginning" was likely some sort of single celled thingy for which thought or word was non-existent.

From a creationist/intelligent design viewpoint, the Word was there, by definition, thus rendering further debate useless.

Babbling - try it, it's fun!

Back on topic:

"Life is the ultimate art form, and we are the creators."
    Lama Surya Das - Awakening the Buddha Within
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    my favs:

Perfection, which is the passion of so many people, does not interest me. What is important in art is to vibrate oneself and make others vibrate."
    - George Enescu

“If you understand something in only one way, then you don't really
    understand it at all. The secret of what anything means to us depends on
    how we've connected it to all other things we know. Well-connected
    representations let you turn ideas around in your mind, to envision things
    from many perspectives until you find one that works for you. And that's
    what we mean by thinking!”
    -Marvin Minsky

The man who is really serious, with the urge to find out what truth is, has no style at all. He lives only in what is.

Running water never grows stale. So you just have to 'keep on flowing.
    -Bruce Lee