Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is creativity and how can I develop/practice it?

Thanks

Question What is creativity and how can I develop/practice it?

I was analyzing my drawings and I started questioning whether my work involved any creativity at all. I realized I'm purely a technical artist and I'm just copying what I look at.

I think creativity is feeling something, going with the flow, and doing stuff off the top of your head. Like in respect to figure drawing, I think creativity is finding that hidden line of action and accenting it. Or looking at a curve of the body and simplifying it while maintaining its essence.

Is it possible to learn that stuff? Because I can't do it! How exactly do you learn to look at something, like say a normal, non-athletic leg with subtle curves and some awkward lines, and convert that in your head and onto paper into something efficiently beautiful?

How do you learn to draw from your head and go with the flow? Or how can I practice it?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think maybe you have been spending too much time trying to get a 100% replica of still life that it's just become a picture of an apple. Something that's typically boring.

You can try this to start out, but you can ignore it if you don't like it. Take a regular old apple and set it up the way you want it. Now draw it. Then make it blue. That'd just be something I'd do to set it out of the norm. Then I suppose work from there. Don't just change colors, try making it more unique with lines with different widths.

I typically draw from my head, in fact too much. Maybe we should swap brains for a bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    You go to an isolated crossroad at midnight, holding the implements of your art, and wait for the Devil to appear.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daeyeth View Post
    I was analyzing my drawings and I started questioning whether my work involved any creativity at all. I realized I'm purely a technical artist and I'm just copying what I look at.

I think creativity is feeling something, going with the flow, and doing stuff off the top of your head. Like in respect to figure drawing, I think creativity is finding that hidden line of action and accenting it. Or looking at a curve of the body and simplifying it while maintaining its essence.

Is it possible to learn that stuff? Because I can't do it! How exactly do you learn to look at something, like say a normal, non-athletic leg with subtle curves and some awkward lines, and convert that in your head and onto paper into something efficiently beautiful?

How do you learn to draw from your head and go with the flow? Or how can I practice it?
    Creativity is something you have, not something you learn. In my case I can step into a world completely out of this one and see creatures and characters and environments and stories. Then there is the draw part. That is where technical skill comes in. I can visualize all these things but they're pretty much useless if I don't have the technical skills to show them to others. Creativity and technical skills are two seperate things but come hand in hand. You need one to be successful with the other.

Maybe someone knows a secret to studying creativity and learning how to think in creative ways. But I sure don't

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabet Y.A. View Post
    Creativity is something you have, not something you learn.
    What you said makes sense. But then, there should be some exercises out there that help bring out that creativity within you right? I guess that's what I'm looking for. That exercise/project/style that helps channel/focus your creative energies and get you used to using them.

Thanks
    Creativity is the dreaming side of the brain.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 835 Posts
    The exercise is to draw without looking at a ref. Keep doing that and you'll get better.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    The exercise is to draw without looking at a ref. Keep doing that and you'll get better.
    This. Worked so far for me .

Thanks
    You might consider reading about J.Krishnamurti's thoughts on creativity.

Thanks
    I think Creativity is the way your brain possesses things you know, so like the more you know the subject the more you can interpret it in your own way, so for like practice type things, maybe taking different objects and trying to put them together in your own way? say like take a car and a shark and try to impose the felling of a shark into the car, this way your kind of making the decisions of what you think should and shouldn't be included to give it the feel of a shark but still have the functions of a car.

so it's kind of like inventing things, always asking yourself "what if" and if you think it's cool draw it! heh

at least this is my opinion

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Man, "what is creativity", there's a question that'll probably get you thousands of different answers...

How do you exercise it? I'm not sure. By exercising your mind?

* Try drawing straight from your head, with nothing in front of you - think of something as vividly as you can, see if you can draw from that thought.

* Try drawing people and things that are moving - go out and sketch some dancers or a parade or people walking down the street - you'll HAVE to fill things in from your head, because what's in front of you only lasts a split second.

* Try drawing in completely unfamiliar styles and media - maybe pick a famous artist whose style is totally unlike yours, and see if you can draw your own original picture in that style, or see if you can draw from life in that style. Then pick another style.

* Try picking random subjects or items, combining them in random ways, and seeing if you can wrest an idea for an image out of them.

* Try playing with automatism - sit down with a piece of paper and nothing in front of you and no plan and let your pencil wander, drawing whatever pops into your head with every changing second, letting random lines suggest new things and drawing those...

* And daydream. Take time now and then to let your mind wander anywhere, with no plan or purpose, just let it loose and see what comes up... (Er, I don't know if you can actually learn to do this. My brain seems to do it naturally.)

I don't know. I've always felt the best results are achieved by spending part of your time drawing from imagination, and part of your time drawing from life, to balance things out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 643 Posts
    Creativity is achieved when your enjoying yourself.

Find your fav+ artist and movies etc, analyse them and see what you like about them.
    Then, go and draw, put what you like into your own work.

You gotta keep the inspiration flowing and the more you draw the more it flows

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Build up your visual library.

Build up a shape library, remember how you looked at clouds and thought you saw things in them? Do the same with any illustration program.

Alchemy is helpful with that along with any art program with brushes.

http://al.chemy.org/download/

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast