Could I get some constructive criticism please?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Could I get some constructive criticism please?

Hello, I am new to this site and am hoping to learn and improve myself so that I can work towards a career in concept art or character design.
    Name:  Conceptart sub1.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  170.5 KB

I am aware of the hand and intend to fix it as soon as possible.

I would like to get a few suggestions on what I could do to improve this. Any sort of help would be appreciated. I sincerely thank anyone who responds.

EDIT: posting a smaller version so it'll be easier to see.

Last edited by Blu--wolf; March 4th, 2010 at 06:31 AM. Reason: posting a smaller version
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you have done so far, is excellent; I especially love the stippling on the pants.

As for what I can really critique, I will say I'm not too much of a fan of "hiding-a-arm/hand-behind-the-back" poses, so I feel that having her right (our right) hand over her hip could make it a bit more interesting.

It's nice, keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perfectly understandable about the arms. To be honest, I have been a bit stumped about what to do with them. I'm trying to get away from stiff poses as well, but they still like to creep in.
    I am using this little project to test out and get familiar with my new Wacom Intuos 3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude,
    It is really hard to critique your piece since it doesn't fit in my display. you really should reduce the pic size to get more feedback.

also, read this:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=129385

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SAGIR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that. That will make it easier for me and everyone else in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great, now the first thing I'll say, and you'll hear that from people a lot with character stuff: Anatomy, anatomy, anatomy. It is not like horrible and even quite good for a beginner but if you wan't to go pro you'll have to get much better. There are mistakes of proportions all over, hands and feet being the worst. Pick up anatomy books and study them, better yet, paint nude models.

Design wise, her legs are too short for this manga-style character and those gray stripes on her front look really weird. Also try giving it some kind of twist since we've already seen thousands of those manga elfs. Being original is the hardest thing in character design, mush harder than achieving good technical skills.

About color - in life we see everything in many hues. For example, her coat can't be in different shades of the same red. It is affected by light and shade, hence, when in light it will go toward the yellow - red (orange) and in shade (if she's outside under a blue sky) it will go toward the red-blue (purple). The way you colored it, it looks pretty flat and boring.

Don't get me wrong, the potential is there, all it needs is tons of hard work, like all of us.
    Sorry if it's a bit of a harsh critique, I believe it is the best kind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a reasonable start here. A question we really need answered is what direction are you trying to go in general, toward realism, or toward a more stylized approach? This is somewhere in between, as the lines are heavily stylized, but the shading shows hints that you'd like to move beyond that.

The perspective on the face seems to swoosh tot he right of the page as we move down the face. We start at a 3/4 view of her forehead, then by the time we get to her nose it's almost a ful on side view, then her mouth just seems to be floating there in space.

Her neck wear seems to have a crescent shaped glare on it that inconsistent with your lighting sceme. Also her head isn't casting any sort of a shadow on her pony tail.

You've givenher extra long upper legs and made up for it by shortening her lower legs to the point where i'm not really sure she could walk properly.

I dig the costume but where is the rest of the coat? I see her legs in the openignin the front, but all of a sudden, there's no back of the coat, just white space.

Lastly, almost everything in ths image has a smooth texture to it except for the pants, which look choppy and rough. It's almost giving me the impression that she's wearing sackcloth pants or something.

Best wishes,

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a quick draw over for you to illustrate things I'd work on:

-the bottom dress needs some structure. Take a look at gowns, or structured long coats through google for some good reference.

-I made a quick eniroment so I could "ground" her feet. Whenever you draw the legs and feet, having a solid idea of where the ground is will certainly help solidify your character.

Attached Images Attached Images  

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the draw-over. I'm a visual learner and I like to have have something I can actually see in front of me. I actually prefer it. Heck, even just arrows to show where to move things can be useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The slit's a little of center.

I feel you need to show the finger's on the hand on her hip at least, even if it's only the tips curling over from behind. assume the stance and check the mirror.

Oh, I just love the red eye shadow. ;P

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just a little nit, but her nose is in profile while the rest of the face is 3/4 view. A lot of artists do it (even pros), but it's a good habit to overcome early if you can.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.