Some critique, please.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Some critique, please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some critique, please.

This is a piece I'd made a long while ago, and when I'd gone to do my portfolio last month I took it and revamped it.
    The comparison can be seen here

I'm looking for critique on this piece on it's own. I need to know what I still have to work on. I can guess at some things, but I'll probably have missed something.

Thanks in advance~

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The horns don't line up completely, and consider thickening her ankles. Her fingers are also pretty irregular. Could see this going places, though.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, it wasn't until after I'd submitted the piece to the college that I noticed that her fingers, especially on her right hand, weren't the proper length.
    And yeah, the horns. I'm going to be doing some studies on horned animals before I make another drawing of this particular character. I don't like not knowing where they should actually be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The main thing that stands out is the pinky/ring finger on her left hand (our left). As the other poster said, the ring finger should be a little longer, and this may just be me, but the pinky seems a tad too skinny. Also you seem to have a mix of rounded/pointy fingers in this drawing. I personally think pointy would be the best way to go, so it kind of matches with the feet.

I like the motion you put in this though, especially with the cape and the hair. I also like your hatching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks fine from here, the details can be worked out as you enhance it to completion.

Nice.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually liked your old one a lot better, the design was more interesting and you had better foreshortening on the knee.

Overall I think it's good. As others have mentioned the horns are off, and that hand closest too us seems too lack structure, so it looks like it's made of rubber. I also think it's too big compared to the other hand.

The extended leg is way too curved, so if I imagine her standing upright she'd be very bow legged. At least that's the way it looks to me, could be wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. In the original she had a lot more flow, but a lot of her structure was anatomically flawed. My goal for this revision was to bring her back to reality while still trying to keep that motion, hence the leg. I kept it partially curved for compositional esthetics. If that were actually the shape of her leg she would be deformed, but the original not only had a deeper curve, but was also way too long. I guess it's just finding that balance between realism and exaggeration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta agree with Avvatar on this one. Although you changed the anatomy to be better, in terms of design, the first on was much better. She had interest, looked almost tribal, instead of a cute goat girl (goat..fox..demon?). Strive to bring your creativity to reality, don't water it down/make it boring to make it more real. I agree with the idea of focusing more on your poses and the anatomy, that is a great thing and you need more of it. Just don;t forget that it needs flare as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought that, in terms of design, the first one was too busy. Her shirt was strangely shaped and, in part, dysfunctional so I modified her cloak-piece to not only serve as a shirt, but also as the cloak. I removed her belt because I couldn't think of a way to get it to stay on her body in a natural pose. I removed one set of horns because I couldn't find any justifiable or natural reason for her to have two sets. Her facial markings in the original looked amateur and took up too much space without any real flow, her new markings are simpler in design, yes, but I found they were more dynamic because they seemed to fit with the rest of her composition.

All in all I just extended her cloak down to her stomach, made her markings sync with her character, removed a set of horns, and took out the belt.

It may just end up being a difference of opinion.

And yeah, I figured there'd be an issue figuring out what she was;
    She's a tiefling. I'd made her as a DnD character for a game my friends were in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shrug.....It is I suppose a matter of opinion. I hear your explanation, and by all means stand by it, she is yours.

I still say the first was a better design, and IMHO, contrary to what you say the second looks more amateur to me. Why? Well...shes wearing things that I could find similar items too in my closet. Pants and a shirt...woo. I also like her previous face markings, as the second ones remind me of rub on tattoos like you get in the quarter machines.

Once again, it is just my opinion. If you believe in what you have done go for it. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by K-san; March 5th, 2010 at 01:03 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.