Sketchbook: Anyone up for a journey?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Anyone up for a journey?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone up for a journey?

Just a quick introduction and then onto the sketches. With the exception of doodles and a few rare pieces I haven't drawn seriously since my Sophomore year of HS, I'm in my 4th year at University now. I always considered myself to be pretty good at drawing and so did others. My problems though were that all of my best work came from "copying" things like pictures and stuff. I was always pretty good at drawing what I saw but just couldn't draw from scratch. I always had these great ideas but just couldn't transfer them from my mind to the paper. After a short time I would get frustrated and go back to drawing what I knew.

Now a few months ago I saw an article on a website about video game fanart and was amazed at what Photoshop and tablets could accomplish. I ended up receiving a tablet for Christmas and was anxious to try it out. Quickly I realized how tough it was to learn and became frustrated. After watching a lot of online tutorials the basic premise finally clicked. Now I really want to become proficient and know that in order to keep from walking away I need to see some improvement overtime and have some people critiquing my work, offering advice and pushing me forward.

I not only want to learn the digital medium but also know I have a lot of fundamentals I need to focus on as well. I've found all of the Loomis books in digital format and was planning on making my way through them one by one. Good idea? I'm pretty busy with school, work and an internship but will try to keep this updated as much as possible and would welcome any and all help. Unfortunately, all of my old sketchbooks and drawings have been lost to time so it feels as though I am starting over.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the first actual successful painting I've done in photoshop. Starting to get a hang of the blending techniques. Second is a proportion chart I did from reference and a few quick sketches of Johnny Depp I did while watching Blow.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by blu yu away; March 4th, 2010 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, that apple looks good. it's funny, i see that apple a lot around here, lol. im not quite ready for it yet but im sure that ill be painting my own apple at some point. anyway, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Perma. Thanks, and that apple is quite popular around these parts haha. Some wire sketches I did quickly today and a few quick sketches I did in class. Only time I really have a chance to draw people from life.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.