Letters. (WIP? idek man)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Letters. (WIP? idek man)

    First post to this forum! I-I'm pretty nervous posting, lol ;;

    I'm trying to break away from the anime/manga stereotype and develop my own style... Not sure if it's going well, though ( DA admittedly doesn't help much, despite knowing some really nice people on there;;; ) I've been reading books on perspective and figure drawing (haven't been to any life drawing classes yet though... I hope to!) and just trying to get the hang of it, perspective especially since I am usually terrible at it.

    This is one very recent work I did... Dunno if I should classify it as finished though, since I feel I can do much better than just half-assing things with textures and the like. Any thoughts/crits/general tearing my stuff apart would be so, so appreciated!




    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,878
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 630 Times in 400 Posts
    Hi

    Lookin good. The hands looks off though, if you fix the hands it will be perfect. Also the music in the background does not fit the mood of the scene... LOL!! Like I can read music.

    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Noo Yawk
    Posts
    2,176
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 776 Times in 461 Posts
    The eyes and hands need work. My advice for the hands? Make them larger. As they are, her hands are small and extremely rigid. As for the eyes, check it against reference.

    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

    Lookit the Pretty!

    Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zaorr View Post
    Also the music in the background does not fit the mood of the scene...
    Lol, how so? The piece was kind of music-inspired so I thought it was appropriate.... That and I needed space filler, haha XD

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    The eyes and hands need work. My advice for the hands? Make them larger. As they are, her hands are small and extremely rigid. As for the eyes, check it against reference.
    Yessir! 8I

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 56 Times in 27 Posts
    Hey,
    firstly the collarbones are in wrong places. They start from the sternum and connect to the scapulas;

    Name:  collarbones.jpg
Views: 2740
Size:  30.6 KB

    second of all the eyes seem too to be too much on the other side of the head. On our right the cheek goes up and too far away from the eye.

    The best way for you to improve in my opinion would be to give the lines a rest for a while, as I see you have no significant shadows in this. Try studying real people (as you've been meaning to, that's good, photos are okay too if there are good light sources in them and no lens distortion) and draw the forms you see using shadows and highlights.
    This looks nice, a bit mediocre though, so the realism thing will only benefit your style. What comes to perspective, the simplifying of the human form is the key to it, aka breaking the body down to cylinders, balls etc. Once you've got the perspective down with these basic shapes (you can just draw and learn studying different shapes from different angles) you can use them with body parts. And then there's of course the "what to draw in them", as in anatomy studies starting from bones and muscles.
    You've got a good start so far, keep going.

    Emiel Inkeri
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to tschahri For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tschahri View Post
    Hey,
    firstly the collarbones are in wrong places. They start from the sternum and connect to the scapulas;

    Name:  collarbones.jpg
Views: 2740
Size:  30.6 KB

    second of all the eyes seem too to be too much on the other side of the head. On our right the cheek goes up and too far away from the eye.

    The best way for you to improve in my opinion would be to give the lines a rest for a while, as I see you have no significant shadows in this. Try studying real people (as you've been meaning to, that's good, photos are okay too if there are good light sources in them and no lens distortion) and draw the forms you see using shadows and highlights.
    This looks nice, a bit mediocre though, so the realism thing will only benefit your style. What comes to perspective, the simplifying of the human form is the key to it, aka breaking the body down to cylinders, balls etc. Once you've got the perspective down with these basic shapes (you can just draw and learn studying different shapes from different angles) you can use them with body parts. And then there's of course the "what to draw in them", as in anatomy studies starting from bones and muscles.
    You've got a good start so far, keep going.
    Thank you so much! I never noticed I was drawing collarbones the wrong way all this time ;;;
    I'm honestly finding it hard to imagine the body as just 3d shapes though, I've been trying but I can't seem to grasp the idea. Any suggestions/exercises you could recommend?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •