Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    U just become my personal hero... favorite artist.. ever... :chug:
    I also take some time now to see ur webpage, and again.. my jaw felt off.
    True inspiration to me!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That detail is insane! Very nice!

A (few) question(s): when adding wrinkles like these, how do you place them? Are they placed after a ceartain pattern? Like after how the muscles wrinkle the skin (obviously). Do you have any good tip on how to approach it? Is it like drapery when you usually pick out directions and points where the fabric is tight against the underlying structure?

...I was really sleepy when I wrote that above, I realize now that you do answer most of those questions already in your text.

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see this beauty finished and painted.
    Last edited by Zaphod; March 18th, 2004 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    Fantastico! Great stuff man...this thing just keeps getting better and better. Just when I think that you aren't gonna let anymore secrets out....YOU DO! Thanks....leathery skin is one of the things I have had trouble with...not anymore!!:chug:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    hey pete! that's looking great! you are truly the man. i'm proud to be your friend dude. the textures you get are amazing. are you gonna paint it now? -c36

Thanks
    good heavens thats insane... btu i think you might have heard that a few times before...

thank you very much for posting this.. there had been many questions i've had, yet thig has answered most all!

Thanks
    Fantastic work, Smellybug I've been trying to get into this for a while now and this is the best resource I've ever seen. Thanks a lot!

A couple questions... when doing the armature in a bipedal creature, what sort of strength of support would you need in the legs? Assuming they're the only parts of it that are going to be touching the base. Would the 1/4 inch wire be enough to support it in a maquette of similar size and weight to you're doing here, or would you need something extra?

And what did you use for the teeth in the weird dinosaur thingamabob in your avatar? Is it just sculpey? I saw it on the massive black website and I can't figure it out.

Thanks again
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    tully: i have it sitting in my house, an di still couldnt figure out what the teeth were made of! i asked, and its sculpy as well. but it looks so much like teeth, he had me fooled!-c36

smellybug Guest
    Tully:
    For a bipedal character, your best bet is to first get the feet mounted into your base. It's up to you whether you make them permanently attached (epoxy or super glue) or removable (threaded rods with wing nuts or wires simply pushed into holes in the base.) For a 12 or 14 inch character, 3/8 or 1/4 alluminum wire is plenty strong. Once you are happy with the pose for the armature most people then attach a support rod to the middle or lower back that extends out and then down to the base. Give yourself enough room to work back there, but make sure your setup is solid. Some guys get fancy and make a removable support rod. If your support isn't easily removable you can clip or saw it off right before you bake it and patch the hole, or do it after baking if your figure can't stand without it.

For the dino teeth I used translucent white or beigey buff colored Sculpey III; the kind that comes in the small packages. I make a little tray out of alluminum foil and wearing latex surgical gloves, I roll and shape the little teeth with my fingers. The gloves eliminate fingerprints which is a huge help. I know roughly how many and what basic size and shape they need to be, but instead of laboring over making each one just right for where it's going to be placed, I simply make a ton of them, way more than I need and pick out the best ones after baking. Just make a bunch, drop them in the foil tray and bake them at 200 for 20 minutes or a half hour. Then I press them into the presculpted gums, touching the gums up with tools, doing the whole turpenoid thing etc...Phew...didn't mean to make such a long response. Hope this helps!

Thanks
    well! this must be accumulated and saved for it is the best sculpy tutorial i have ever scene. from armature to blocking in shapes to textures all with great clarity and precision. the is nothing like doing to learn but this comes very close1

jon

smellybug Guest
    Thanks Jon. Hopefully after a few more of these things I'll try to put it into book form. We'll see.

Thanks

Exclamation

That would DEFINATELY be a book I'd buy.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Bravo...Pete...

THe level of detail is simply astonishing...

Keep em coming, cause as soon as you compile a book i'm buying it...

Thanks
    This is looking absolutely amazing. At first I had my doubts as to how accurately you could transfer all of the detail into this medium, but you've set all of those doubts to rest. Simply beautiful, keep it up.
    "Es nat far meh, es far me maaah."
    "...Your wot?"
    "HIS MAAAH."

Thanks
    You are a master sculptor Petey, I've learned alot looking at this tut, I'm dying to try my hand at it. Whats the total hours you have spent on the actual sculpting?

JP

smellybug Guest
    Yo T: I dunno. I only work on it a bit at a time here at work. I suppose if I was working on it full time I could get it done in 40 or 50 hours. When I pick at it like this it all gets really drawn out..

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast