Art: Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed! - Page 5

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scaly textures

Pete, I think we crossposted and you missed this:

How did you do the scaly textures on the Tricertops guy?

Did you you use a texture stamp or do 'em one by one?

Thanks!

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
    -- Goethe

Visit my online portfolio: Dan Perez Studios
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    smellybug Guest
    Dan: They were all done one by one. Painfully slow. No stamps on that guy. Wouldn't work anyway because I used a really hard Chavant clay. I'll do a texture tutorial in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scales, the hard way

Well, the results are spectacular, so I think the time invested was worth it.

I read in Cinefex where the guys sculpting the Beetlesnake from Beetlejuice were begging to use texture stamps, but they had to sculpt the snake scales one by one, too.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
    -- Goethe

Visit my online portfolio: Dan Perez Studios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For long spindly appendages as for a pteradactyl, what would you use for a wire armature and what would you wind around it for gripping the clay ? Also, do you have a favorite maquette that you done (which and why) ? What do you draw inspiration from for creature designs ? What are your favorite effects films that inspired you to get into this endeavor ? Thanks.

smellybug Guest
    Stix: For a long skinny part I would probably use steel rod or threaded steel rod, 1/8 or 1/16 thick. If the appendage ends in a tapered point, sharpen and taper the rod. You can even blend the clay up to the tip of the sharpened metal and use the exposed tip as part of the sculpt. There are many sizes of wire available to wrap a thin piece with. Try soldering wire as well. You just have to experiment.

Favorite maquette would be the old Dragonheart maquette. Mainly because the character played a larger role in the movie, as opposed to just being a random creature that appears and gets killed 12 shots later.

Inspiration comes from nature and the world and my tweeked little mind.

I was inspired to actually try to do this for a living when I saw American Werewolf in London when I was 13 or so. Star Wars of course, the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Planet of the Apes was a favorite. Y'know, typical geekdom. Except I got obsessed with it early on.

Icey: I wil I will. I will start the painting and finishing on monday. Hang tight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Pete ,
    In regards to the Chavant clay you used on your cool Triceratops-warrior-guy , what type of Chavant did you use ?
    I know there are many different grades , besides the the NSP clays . Just curious ! Thanks !
    Rick Force

smellybug Guest
    I think I used chavant cm70, but that was a long time ago. I wouldn't use it now...waay too hard. Cm50 is what I normally use now. It's a sulfur based clay. They make non sulfurs also if you are sensitive to that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for doing this excellent tute Smellybugs! And I love your work!
    $200AU later (Super Sculpey is expensive here in AU, and hard to find) and I'm ready to start. Still choosing a subject.
    I'm fairly ok with 3d modelling, but I wanted to learn the whole character development process from paper to clay to 3d. One day I hope to make my own animated short.

Update - First Blood
    A Quick safety moment...
    I just put some piano wire through my finger making my Armeture, be careful with this stuff if you use it as it can spring out and bite! Yeeeouch!:bash:

Last edited by Dodgymotah; April 4th, 2004 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Terrific sculpt
    cant wait to see the painting

-Member of middle class-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boy, am I glad that I just stumbled on the thread at the end, it would have been agony to have to wait for each instalment, waiting for the pages to load was bad enough.

I was wondering how you would set up the support rod on a free standing (humanoid) figure, one that would eventually be taken off the support?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gaack!! im having withdrawl symptoms...
    we hunger....feed us....

*sigh* this thread has gotten me way too excited

oh yeah...i dunno if you mentioned this, but who did the original concept?

"The sky was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel" -- William Gibson

smellybug Guest
    Sorry, sorry. I've been too dang busy. I will get the painting going in a day or so. Keep checking back. ( I did the original concept btw)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

Goodness...I just realized how much I can lose out by not keeping up with the posts. THIS THREAD IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

Petey, this is most glorious and I'm left without words to express how impressed I am by your work. You're extremely generous by sharing all this information. THANK YOU!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cost?

Sorry if this was already asked, how much does sculpy cost? I'm hoping it isnt too much though...

buh?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can get a 1 pound box for under 10 bucks US. The little colored packs to mix with them are usually unde r2 bucks. So, you can get quite a bit for pretty cheap.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by smellybug
    LETS GET PAINT'N!! (hmm maybe I should do that in a new thread?)
    be sure to post your progress in colour this time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Truly one of the best threads on this forum. I can't wait to see where this goes. Great work.

Howard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    giddy for the painting stages...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hello. I am PaintMonster of the new member of this forum.
    nice to meet you.
    I was impressed by your inspiration.
    Seeing this thread, I decided to register with this forum.

Although you are using SuperSculpy, is there any work made for other materials?
    I am interested in latex form.
    However, I do not learn the usage.
    Moreover, I use to natural dryness type Clay. because my offis has not oven.

Last edited by PaintMonster; April 13th, 2004 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Smellybug. I just wanted say I am a big fan and always enjoy viewing you work. Sorry about this long post, but I enjoyed reading this thread so much I just had to comment on it.

LOL, first I can completely relate to the embarassment of buying out-of-the-ordinary magazines, like the bodybuilding mags. It's nice to know I'm not the only one suffering to get good reference material. Although I guess there's nothing to really to be embarrassed about if you're a man. I think the fear is that you believe that people assume you are buying the magazine because you want to become a bodybuilder and that you have low self-asteem. It takes too long to explain exactly why you really need the magazine. They wouldn't believe you anyways. LOL.

You mentioned before that you mix your sculpey with sculpey III. I also wanted to add two things that are implicit in your statement:

One is that, when you mix two different color sculpeys to get an intermediate new color, you are ensuring that the clay is kneaded properly. Kneading is a necessary process for just about all clays. Bruno Lucchessi addresses it in his terracotta books. You know your sculpey is kneaded well if you mix two colors and you no longer see the swirl patterns of the two colors, but just one uniform color. If your sculpey is not kneaded, when you go to bake it, you will get more cracks than if you had kneaded it.

Two is that sculpey mixes like oil paint. What Smellybug is saying is that you can basically use the same subtractive color mixing techniques to mix different colors of super sculpey as you would use to mix oil pigments. This allows you to make counterfit terracotta, or roma plastilina parts(eyes for ex.) to blend in with a sculpture primarily of oil clay or water clay without the sculpey distracting from the overall piece.

You also mentioned that sculpey can get old and dry out. Sculpey came out with a liquid solution that can rejuvenate the clay. It's called Sculpey Diluent. I've used it before and it works ok, (well enough, when you don't have the money to buy new sculpey). It seems to give temporary rejuvenation though. The sculpey will not stay moist as long as it was when it was new. If you're going to be working on the sculpture for more than a month, I would just buy some new sculpey.

I also have some questions. Smellybug, you said that you use ballbearings for temporary eyes, but in the final eye placement, you can make your own eyes. Do you think you could give a tutorial on making acrylic eyes? This is one technique that I haven't found on the web. I think this would be a life saver for all those who are looking to create realistic maquettes. The next one tutorial I'd like to see would be hair insertion. Neither of these techniques have been presented as open tutorials.

In one of your posts you show a stand for the model. The base of the stand looks like it is custom made. Your whole studio looks like it's hand made for that matter ( book stands, art table, window frames, etc.). Are you cutting the wood yourself, are you cutting it at another studio or are you waiting in line at Home Depot? If you did make your art table by hand? If so, could you briefly explain the process?

In the end, I guess I'm asking how self-sufficient are you? Can you do almost everything in your studio? What are the things that you almost always have to do elsewhere? Are there situations where you are forced to use the foundry? If so, give some examples. I'm interested to hear the answers to your questions. You don't have to answer them all.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress pics.

Last edited by diagetus; April 14th, 2004 at 12:59 PM.

smellybug Guest
    Lyon: Thanks, that's a great compliment!

Hillartsympho: Me too! I'm finally starting today, look for progress tonight.

PaintM': Welcome to the site. Lots of cool stuff here for sure. To answer your questions: I don't plan to do any latex demos at this point. I mainly wanted to stick to the area of "design" and how to create a design maquette, like something you might show a client. I do plan to do another demo on water based clay sculpting, so keep an eye out for that. I don't know of any airdry materials that work like sculpey, perhaps you could post tips on that yourself?

Diagetus: Phew...biggest reply yet!

Do you think you could give a tutorial on making acrylic eyes?

>I'm not an expert, but Magictorch just got me all excited about fake eyes again, so maybe. Of course I'd have to practise myself. We'll see....maybe MagicTorch has some time to do a tutorial himself? Check out his Big Lynch post.

Do I do everything myself? In one place?
    Am I self sufficient?

>Yeah, mostly. I have a house with a cluttered garage and a bunch of tools. Since I work at an effects studio, I have access to the workshop and do a lot there too. Right now I'm doing most of this tutorial there on lunch breaks and after work. Yes I did build my own studio tables and shelves, though it's more because I'm cheap than for any other reason. I can do most of this stuff at home, but one thing I don't have at home, which is very handy, is a spray booth. A spray booth is basically like a giant oven exhaust which draws the sprays and dusts away from you as you work. Ventilation is very important. At home I use a couple of fans or work in the garage with the door open. Breathing paint or urethane isn't recommended. I'd like to not work with some materials at home, like fiberglass. But I'm usually making smallish things, so home is fine for most of it. Thanks for the interest. Keep checking back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd just like to thank you again Smellybug for taking the time to do this tutorial...it answered some questions I had, and it really inspired me. It caused me to really push myself for my latest sculpt....:chug:.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    smellybug
    Thank you for answer of my questions.
    so, I show soon sculpture made now.
    The film of CM is made using the sculpture which I made. It will be able to show, if the work finishes.

Although latex form is very interested, since it is expensive, I am using other materials.

Since it is very interested, please continue your work report from now on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pete, this is awesome for a new starving artist like me.

I am graduating this year, and this is my first post, and waiting to do what my heart desires.

This is truly inspirational. Let's get working shall we?

smellybug Guest
    Ok you bastards, here we go: PAINTING

For this project, I'm using FW Acrylic Artists Ink. I will put up a picture so you can see (later) but it is widely available and airbrush ready. It comes in small glass jars with eyedropper tops. I mix it in smallish amounts in little cups or film cans.

For the first picture below, I'm laying on a darkish redish gray color for a base. My plan is to start kinda dark and build up to a lighter tone.

(sorry, my pictures came out a bit contrasty and I had to do a bit of color correction. Please bear with me.)

Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed!

Here's our friend covered in the darkish grayish redish color. Notice I covered the eyeballs in a bit of clay to protect them.

I mix a bit of black into the paint and start a bit of shadowing, enhancing the sunken valleys and lowered details.

After going over the entire creature with the darker color, I'm going to pure black and darkening what will be the darkest areas. I've also warmed up the webbing area with a mist of yellow ochre. These paints mix well with alcohol. I thinned out the yellow ochre with alcohol before spraying so it didn't come out too opaque.

Once I'm satisfied with where is is as far as base colors go, my next step is to start to bring up the flesh tones. Our guy is mostly a gray color, but I don't want to simply airbrush gray onto him. I want his skin to be made up of many colors, just like real life. Below I'm using a "squiggly line" technique I learned from my friend Jordu Schell. making multiple passes using this technique with different colors creates a nice sense of deptch and realism, even if it starts out like you see below...

To do these fine lines, I take the end cap off of my airbrush. This allows me to get an even finer little line for this squiggly pass:
    Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed! Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed!

Now I'm doing it again, but with a sky blue this time. Trust me...it's wierd now, but it works in the end.

Now I'm adding pinks to the stretchy/softer areas of the webbing...this give the illusion of thinner skinn with blood vessels effecting the color.

...And darker blues, and some yellows...
    Up close it looks funny.

But as you step back it starts to make sense.

Getting some greens in there and some browns to unify things.

And here's where it stands now...getting there, but I feel like I need to lighten it up a bit. I will go back over it with some greenish light gray tomorrow.

More soon....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woohoo!

"The sky was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel" -- William Gibson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woooooooow...this is possibly the most incredible tutorial i've ever laid my eyes on....omg...you're the bestestestest...lol

thank you very much for this

Darkk_randley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn!! this is awesome!!!
    BTW are you using your flash when you take the pictures? :chug:

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Skello For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there guys.. long time no c i havent been around for awhile and i came in to look at some progress.. and its beautiful my friend.
    i like how u use like a underwater technique with the coloring the skin with white n blu but with all diff colors n stuff. truly amazing man..
    ill prob b checking in weekly to see how its going.. good luck

grrr roawl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus, that looks amazing already... I can't wait to see what else you do with the paintjob.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook