Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    smellybug Guest
    Thanks Sam, yeah, on Jurassic I worked on the stopmo animatics. Just moldmaking and fabricating, helping to turn the stan winston sculpts into stopmo puppetts. I was there the day spielberg called my boss phil to basically anounce the end of stopmotion. Originally, the dinos where going to be computer 'enhanced' go motion. Anyway...long story that's probably told better on the dvd. On Troopers I sculpted a number of the bug maquettes, most of the warrior and all of the brainbug. These were based off of Craig Hayes designs. I then moved on to being an animator once the art duties where done. BTW, everybody go out and buy Starship Troopers II or watch the pay perview next month. I was animation sup' on that. That way Phil can get more and bigger projects funded. (sorry for the advertisement.)
    www.starshiptroopers2.net

Coro; thanks brudda
    Juicy: wha?
    ninja: doit
    dethJ: I'll be putting more up in the next few days
    jester: that picture of you always cracks me up. thanks for the enthusiasm. now get to work.

Thanks to all for keeping up with this forum. It's great ego boost.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks!

Thanks for the great tutorial, Smellybug--hope to see some more from you.

The animatics can be seen on the making-of sections of the Jurassic Park DVDs. They're pretty cool in their own right.

I'm definitely looking forward to Starship Troopers 2...

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
    -- Goethe

Visit my online portfolio: Dan Perez Studios

Thanks
    This is really awesome stuff! Can't wait for more updates.

I have a quick question for Dan or Smellybug. (BTW Dan, your tutorials on your site rock...they definately pointed an absolute beginner in the right direction).

If you bake a part of your model to make sure you don't lose detail before adding other stuff to it, what's the best way to get new clay to stick to your baked model? I know I've seen something about this before, but I just can't find it. :/

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

smellybug Guest
    I usually prep the already baked parts with a rub down of turpenoid. If the area is smooth, I'll also score it a bit with an xacto knife to give the new stuff a little something to hold on to. Just a little cross hatching is enough.

Thanks
    Thanks Smellybug, I'll have to try that! Although I fear my model might be a little too small...I might have to add the details with milliput. :o

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    smelly.... im jonesin' for an update.....

tyty

MY SITE
    available for freelance

smellybug Guest
    Ok, finally an update! "Woot!" as Manley would say.
    Lets start with the webbing between the arms. Here I've cut out some fine wire mesh. You can use anything, alluminum or stainless steel is good. Cut it with tin snips and just push it into the sculpey...about half an inch here. At least deep enough to stay put.
    Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed!

Then I press the clay in there..keeping it thin for now.

here I'm laying in "stretchies" or tension folds. You guessed it...use real fabric for ref. Or your grandmas butterwings.

stretchies roughed in just using fingers.

going over the surface with my knotched loop tool. Notice I'm still using large tools. It ain't time for the little ones yet. Just trying to find the natural looking folds that give the area a sense of pulling and tension.

The other side is much more relaxed. It's tricky to decide how to show this. You just have to experiment. Look at different materials and see what seems right, think about what the creatures skin and flesh are made of. Is the skin tough or silky and thin? Here I feel that there should be a number of permanent folds that just buckle, since this character spends a lot of time in the stretched position, running and leaping about. I think the skin should be thick and tough. (btw, this isn't done!)

smellybug Guest
    So for the dorsal spikes, i need a thicker, more rigid mesh to support the clay. Again, I'm using the drawing to figure out how this is cut.

here's side view after planting the rest of the spike meshes and throwing clay over them. Starting to look like the original picture, huh?

Hand armature almost done. Still need to wrap in thin wire for grip.

blocking it in without tools, just rolling balls of clay and pressing it in there. Trying to keep in mind the anatomy at all times, functionality sells the shapes y'know. Gee whiz, now that I look at it, the arms looking a little feeble and thin! I'll fix that tomorrow.

The nose needs good support. Measure with calipers. Notice that here and on the fingers I added propoxy tips. This is an optional way to make sharp tips of.. things. When the model is baked, you can sand the tip very sharp and they'll be durable this way. Worth a try.

Roughing in some wrinkles with the large-ish loop tool.

Use reference. This is just the rough the begining, but I won't finish without looking at the real thing.

Enjoy...more soon!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smellybug For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs up

Oooh... nice job! Keep it up.

Say, Propoxy, is that perhaps some kind of epoxy clay?
    I've read that Sculpey gets brittle and breaks easy. How thin is not good to go beyond if I don't want it to break easily?

Thanks for a great tutorial! You should ask the people at CA to host the images when you're done so that the tutorial will stay on the forum!

EDIT - Sorry, I should read more closely in the future. I saw the post where you wrote that you used an epoxy putty named Propoxy.

Thanks
    Man, this is great. I'm loving this tutorial. I've been trying to figure out what to use for flat areas (wings for a giant bee I'm making) that I can add clay to, and that MESH is perfect for what I need it to do. Thanks!! :chug:

Oh, and this sculpt is looking amazing....love a good imaginary creature anytime! :cool:

Thanks
    oh please more now, more now! this is so good i feel like i am watching a great film and then the lights go up and "continued" rolls across the screen. i must admit i have been avidly checking this thread for you updates, eagerly waiting for christmas.

smellybug, you have given of your time and talent way beyond any expectation. thank you so much. you are an incredible artist, gentleman and teacher.

hope to meet you some day at a convention or job.

jon

Thanks
    wow this thread is amazing! I'm so glad I found it...wow...awesome. I can't wait to see it totally done!

smellybug Guest
    Thanks again you guys.

Zaph: Yeah, it can break if it's unsupported. I'm close to too thin here, but I'll risk it. Superglue is your friend. If you need make thin strong parts, you can also make them out of something stronger, like the propoxy, though it can be a bit tricky. In the past I've made parts like this seperately and then molded them out of plastic and attached them...but that's another tutorial.

Scotty, yeah...wings are a challenge for sure. Good luck with that. You can further stiffen the mesh by painting 5min epoxy into it, or two part easy plastic. (get that at Douglas and Sturgess) If you put two layers of mesh together and bind them with those products, it'll be reeelly stiff, sorta like fiberglass.

Jon: I'm huge fan! I'll do my best to post more often. I'm glad you're getting something out of this. As for being a gentleman....have you read the chukw fiasco?! I'm a bad person...lol. Yikes!

MCM: Me too.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook