Art: Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed! - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just started playing with sculpey after taking a traditional ceramics class in school and really loving it. This tutorial is amazingly helpful. I think just about every question I had was summed up here. Thank you much.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been doing some sculpting lately too, my instructor says you can avoid some more cracking, and save sculpey if you bulk up the model with a combination of wrapped and wadded aluminum foil, epoxy, then wire wrap. But, it's trickier to work with since you have to be very careful with bulking up the armature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi ma your waek is good kip it up
    im student of animatio if u have tout=of maya modling than halp me plz :-)
    love2k7animator@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is the best tutorial iv ever read I was wondering does it mater what type of turpentine you use because I no of two types there is gum and mineral turpentine

thanks for this tut

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey peter im new to sculpting and dont have an airbrush for my finished models and i cant spend alot do you know where to get a moderately good airbrush+compressor for 100-150?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you have any more pics of this sculpture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question question on baking

It looks like from a couple of times reading the thread that the model was baked only once???? do you or do most people bake only once or several times? and general advise on baking?
    thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hola, me encanta el modo que tratas el material, por España no se si se venderá este tipo de productos ( supersculpey) .Enorabuena por tu trabajo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Israkekos View Post
    hola, me encanta el modo que tratas el material, por España no se si se venderá este tipo de productos ( supersculpey) .Enorabuena por tu trabajo
    hay algunas tiendas que importan el supersculpey, busca en internet, yo lo hizo hace meses y habia.

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna
    "un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara a navigare"
    - Anjin Art Website - - Sketchbook - - Anjin Art Blog -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is so awsome

Please visit this forum. its a tight ass place thats actually active
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/VG_junkeez/index.php?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alguien sabe si se puede comprar castilene en España??

"when the way is hard
    the hard ones stay on the way"

MY BLOG

MY SKETCHBOOK THREAD

MY SELFPORTRAITS GALLERY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed!

well for the color there are 2 main reasons, first its nice to sculpt in opaque colors so you can see the surface better, super sculpey comes in this real translucent skin color that can be decieving as to what the surface detail is, it will look great then you cook it and all of a sudden it doesnt look the same anymore because most of the translucency is lost when you cure it in the oven, So I mix mine with promat or I think its called preme now, mix with black till you get the shade of grey you like.
    The second reason to mix it, is super sculpey is kinda brittle and will crack pretty easily on you ( especially if you armature isnt nice and secure(stiff) so if you mix some promat or preme in there with it it makes it a little tougher becuase those clays are alot more sturdy than Super Sculpey, so why not just sculpt with that you ask, good quesiton, because its way more expensive than Super sCulpey, which to answer your last question goes for anywhere between 7-10 bucks a pound ( or is it 2 I can never remember) at retail stores and if you order it in bulk online you can get it for around 4-5 bucks a box (pound whatever) but you have to by like 50 pounds to get that discount.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QETALIVAN View Post
    Alguien sabe si se puede comprar castilene en España??
    Hola Qetalivan. Habla con mariahc. has un search y me imagino que aparecera su nombre y enviale un mensaje. ella es de espana si no me quivoco.

Are you from Puerto Rico, and you sculpt? Contact me if you do! Looking for people to teach me more in sculpting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an international forum, speak english or save it for PM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed!

When talking about great tutorials on maquettes, you should ALL go to the awesome group of spanish artists at:
    www.goregoregore.com
    click the tutorials link - and you have hours of fun with wisdom and great step by step pictorials.
    From sculpting, molding to casting!
    Not to mention all the kick ass work they have done!

Don`t say I didn`t warn yah - hours will fly.... Wink

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much Pete! Nowadays, It is so rare to come across a thorough professional who would share so much with others! It was an honour to learn from you. Kudos and Respects!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! This tutorial si simply the best I've seen on sculpey use. I'm but an amateur in the subject and have a question for you Peter (hope you still check this post out) or any other fellow sculptor:
    I made a human figure about 15" tall, used super sculpey on an armature of thin aluminum pipes and plumbers epoxy. I don't have acces to a large oven and had to use a heat gun to bake the piece. It work fine until, maybe two weeks after the baking, it started cracking everywhere... I don't understand what happened. Can anyone tell me what is the reason of that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by XAVERIVS View Post
    Hey! This tutorial si simply the best I've seen on sculpey use. I'm but an amateur in the subject and have a question for you Peter (hope you still check this post out) or any other fellow sculptor:
    I made a human figure about 15" tall, used super sculpey on an armature of thin aluminum pipes and plumbers epoxy. I don't have acces to a large oven and had to use a heat gun to bake the piece. It work fine until, maybe two weeks after the baking, it started cracking everywhere... I don't understand what happened. Can anyone tell me what is the reason of that?
    The heat gun is a fantastic tool for smaller sculpts and parts done in SS, but it's really tricky with larger sculpts. The top layer can feel like it's completely baked, but that's rarely the case. Usually, you're only baking the top 1/4" layer or so (unless you've sat there, holding the heat gun in one area for, like, 15-20 min. straight, at just the right setting, so that you're baking the area and not scorching it). The portions of the sculpt underneath the baked layer will continue to react to the temperature and humidity of the room, eventually causing the thin, baked outer layer to crack.

For something larger, you may want to consider constructing a makeshift oven using sheet metal or even aluminum foil around a heavy box and some high wattage light bulbs or heat lamps. I know of a good many sculptors out there who have done this sort of thing and had good results. Keep a very close eye on it, just to be safe, but a few hours in this kind of makeshift oven should work just fine. Good luck!

Troy

http://www.themcdevittstudio.com
    --------------------------------------------------
    "It seems like once people grow up, they have no idea what's cool." - Calvin, Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons

19. The Following User Says Thank You to troyboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Thank you very much for your time and sharing your knowledge, Troy. I'm honored and must grateful.
    I'll try building this makeshift oven you tell me.

Thank you very much, again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I htink your studio is pretty tidy in fact, just full of stuff, nothin wrong with stuff. nice armature by the way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Probably a very noob question...but I am....how was this piece (or any other piece) taken off the "rod" that was connected to the armature? And is the entire thing, base AND sculpt baked? Or did I miss my answer in the tutorial? Great tutorial by the way...should have stated that first.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mongo51 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello smellybug i was wandering allot

i notes' sometimes people cut of arms of their sculpture when making a mold

can u tell me how to do that so gentle with an armature inside

i don`t have a clue ?

and smellybug what kind of wires did u use for this armature?

cheers william

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this is awesome stuff man
    Thanks! Really gonna give it a try one day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great tutorial!
    Hey, I'm working on a sculpt of my own, but I'm a bit concerned about the baking phase. It's a bust, with areas of both decent thickness (close to 1/2 an inch) and a raised collar that's a bit thicker then paper.
    How do I bake it without ruining the collar?

Warning! Drinking lots of beer can impair your senses. Please do so before you view my sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...17#post1821417

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been looking all over the internet and library for a decent sculpting tutorial, I should have just started at CA! What was I thinking? This is perfect and much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JESUS ALLAH BUDDHA !! you sir are abso-frickin-lutely amazing. i been doin art my whole life, but just now figured "hey, better get on the good foot, an get serious" . and just picked up sculpting in my senior year of HS i fell in love with everything about it. now i am 33 and in a new country with a bambino on the way i need to get crackin. and your work and tutorials really inspire me. damn good stuff, i swear your possessed by the devil you so good. and your studio..... oh to have such a heavenly space to create again. soon , soon. i will be studying your work maestro.. thank you for making this info available.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now this struck, you said "I should mention the reference I use and the inspirational things I come across from time to time. One book I'd recommend buying is "Modeling the Figure in Clay" by Bruno Luchesi. You can get it on amazon along with his other book "Modeling the head in clay" which is also great. Check out what that guy can do with water clay. I use the Figure book for anatomy ref all the time, even though it's only sculpted clay...great stuff." i have that book, and many others along the same lines. have sculpted several maquettes in the past. tho nothing in the past 4 years. and seeing you work is damn awesome. ever use denatured alcohol to smoothen things out? geez , i miss my gear. moved to the UK from the USA, and all my stuff is back with my brother. its goin to take a while , but i will rebuild. and with this knowledge your teachin. i hope to get back in the saddle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what i like about you is the fact that you take the time to reply, and you really give the best answers to what evers ailing one. helpful and considerate. i would buy the hell out of any book you put out. seriously. is dan akroyd a good artist? and the garthok was one of my fave monsters, damn shame he had to die..... and i consider myself to be a novice and rather out of practice artist. tho my wife and friends say i am damn good. i havent done any work in ages, and no one outside of the circle has seen my work up until last year, when my wife leaked out some of my previous work , and they been hounding me. my worst enemy is confidence i guess. or lack thereof. starting from scratch and having others see it, still gets me. you get what i am sayin? i have done many of the methods you spoke of when doin a peice. and damn i miss my airbrush. and i tell you , the methods worked back then. then i see how you go ahead and do a peice, and i am blown away. thats what i did, then i see what i didnt do, and i do love to learn, and you make it easy to learn. i look forward to your book. please please put out a book. an make sure it hits the shelves here in the UK. thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good day Smellybug.

I just needed to say, you are my inspiration for sculpting. I put you right up there next to my other favorite rollmodel, Walter Disney (Obviously he's no sculpture, but a great man non the less).
    Complaments never get old so I wanted to tell you that.
    I look forwerd to seeing more inspiring stuff man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your studio aint filthy, its just right. if you can find everything its fine. if you lose a small child or harboring a small village of trolls then you may need a maid, or an old preist and a young priest for some rites.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 124