Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed!

Thanks
    gaack!! im having withdrawl symptoms...
    we hunger....feed us....

*sigh* this thread has gotten me way too excited

oh yeah...i dunno if you mentioned this, but who did the original concept?
    "The sky was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel" -- William Gibson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    smellybug Guest
    Sorry, sorry. I've been too dang busy. I will get the painting going in a day or so. Keep checking back. ( I did the original concept btw)

Thanks

Cool

Goodness...I just realized how much I can lose out by not keeping up with the posts. THIS THREAD IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

Petey, this is most glorious and I'm left without words to express how impressed I am by your work. You're extremely generous by sharing all this information. THANK YOU!

Thanks

cost?

Sorry if this was already asked, how much does sculpy cost? I'm hoping it isnt too much though...
    buh?

Thanks
    You can get a 1 pound box for under 10 bucks US. The little colored packs to mix with them are usually unde r2 bucks. So, you can get quite a bit for pretty cheap.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Originally posted by smellybug
    LETS GET PAINT'N!! (hmm maybe I should do that in a new thread?)
    be sure to post your progress in colour this time

Thanks
    Truly one of the best threads on this forum. I can't wait to see where this goes. Great work.

Howard

Thanks
    giddy for the painting stages...

Thanks

Thumbs up

Hello. I am PaintMonster of the new member of this forum.
    nice to meet you.
    I was impressed by your inspiration.
    Seeing this thread, I decided to register with this forum.

Although you are using SuperSculpy, is there any work made for other materials?
    I am interested in latex form.
    However, I do not learn the usage.
    Moreover, I use to natural dryness type Clay. because my offis has not oven.
    Last edited by PaintMonster; April 13th, 2004 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks
    Hello Smellybug. I just wanted say I am a big fan and always enjoy viewing you work. Sorry about this long post, but I enjoyed reading this thread so much I just had to comment on it.

LOL, first I can completely relate to the embarassment of buying out-of-the-ordinary magazines, like the bodybuilding mags. It's nice to know I'm not the only one suffering to get good reference material. Although I guess there's nothing to really to be embarrassed about if you're a man. I think the fear is that you believe that people assume you are buying the magazine because you want to become a bodybuilder and that you have low self-asteem. It takes too long to explain exactly why you really need the magazine. They wouldn't believe you anyways. LOL.

You mentioned before that you mix your sculpey with sculpey III. I also wanted to add two things that are implicit in your statement:

One is that, when you mix two different color sculpeys to get an intermediate new color, you are ensuring that the clay is kneaded properly. Kneading is a necessary process for just about all clays. Bruno Lucchessi addresses it in his terracotta books. You know your sculpey is kneaded well if you mix two colors and you no longer see the swirl patterns of the two colors, but just one uniform color. If your sculpey is not kneaded, when you go to bake it, you will get more cracks than if you had kneaded it.

Two is that sculpey mixes like oil paint. What Smellybug is saying is that you can basically use the same subtractive color mixing techniques to mix different colors of super sculpey as you would use to mix oil pigments. This allows you to make counterfit terracotta, or roma plastilina parts(eyes for ex.) to blend in with a sculpture primarily of oil clay or water clay without the sculpey distracting from the overall piece.

You also mentioned that sculpey can get old and dry out. Sculpey came out with a liquid solution that can rejuvenate the clay. It's called Sculpey Diluent. I've used it before and it works ok, (well enough, when you don't have the money to buy new sculpey). It seems to give temporary rejuvenation though. The sculpey will not stay moist as long as it was when it was new. If you're going to be working on the sculpture for more than a month, I would just buy some new sculpey.

I also have some questions. Smellybug, you said that you use ballbearings for temporary eyes, but in the final eye placement, you can make your own eyes. Do you think you could give a tutorial on making acrylic eyes? This is one technique that I haven't found on the web. I think this would be a life saver for all those who are looking to create realistic maquettes. The next one tutorial I'd like to see would be hair insertion. Neither of these techniques have been presented as open tutorials.

In one of your posts you show a stand for the model. The base of the stand looks like it is custom made. Your whole studio looks like it's hand made for that matter ( book stands, art table, window frames, etc.). Are you cutting the wood yourself, are you cutting it at another studio or are you waiting in line at Home Depot? If you did make your art table by hand? If so, could you briefly explain the process?

In the end, I guess I'm asking how self-sufficient are you? Can you do almost everything in your studio? What are the things that you almost always have to do elsewhere? Are there situations where you are forced to use the foundry? If so, give some examples. I'm interested to hear the answers to your questions. You don't have to answer them all.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress pics.
    Last edited by diagetus; April 14th, 2004 at 12:59 PM.

smellybug Guest
    Lyon: Thanks, that's a great compliment!

Hillartsympho: Me too! I'm finally starting today, look for progress tonight.

PaintM': Welcome to the site. Lots of cool stuff here for sure. To answer your questions: I don't plan to do any latex demos at this point. I mainly wanted to stick to the area of "design" and how to create a design maquette, like something you might show a client. I do plan to do another demo on water based clay sculpting, so keep an eye out for that. I don't know of any airdry materials that work like sculpey, perhaps you could post tips on that yourself?

Diagetus: Phew...biggest reply yet!

Do you think you could give a tutorial on making acrylic eyes?

>I'm not an expert, but Magictorch just got me all excited about fake eyes again, so maybe. Of course I'd have to practise myself. We'll see....maybe MagicTorch has some time to do a tutorial himself? Check out his Big Lynch post.

Do I do everything myself? In one place?
    Am I self sufficient?

>Yeah, mostly. I have a house with a cluttered garage and a bunch of tools. Since I work at an effects studio, I have access to the workshop and do a lot there too. Right now I'm doing most of this tutorial there on lunch breaks and after work. Yes I did build my own studio tables and shelves, though it's more because I'm cheap than for any other reason. I can do most of this stuff at home, but one thing I don't have at home, which is very handy, is a spray booth. A spray booth is basically like a giant oven exhaust which draws the sprays and dusts away from you as you work. Ventilation is very important. At home I use a couple of fans or work in the garage with the door open. Breathing paint or urethane isn't recommended. I'd like to not work with some materials at home, like fiberglass. But I'm usually making smallish things, so home is fine for most of it. Thanks for the interest. Keep checking back.

Thanks
    I'd just like to thank you again Smellybug for taking the time to do this tutorial...it answered some questions I had, and it really inspired me. It caused me to really push myself for my latest sculpt....:chug:.

Thanks
    smellybug
    Thank you for answer of my questions.
    so, I show soon sculpture made now.
    The film of CM is made using the sculpture which I made. It will be able to show, if the work finishes.

Although latex form is very interested, since it is expensive, I am using other materials.

Since it is very interested, please continue your work report from now on.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast