Art: Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed! - Page 11

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hey

how come I cant see the pics on the painting part. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

whats up with the pic

Is it just me? becuse some of the pics are a blue square with a question mark in it.shit, Iam dieing to se the painted character.

Quote Originally Posted by smellybug
    Finishing touches...sorry bad pic. I lightened him a bit with some thinned out green grays, added the red markings.

Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial completed!

Closeup of final paint. I could keep going, but I think it's time to stop.

And the 'beauty' shot....yes I photoshopped the reds brighter. didn't have any flourescent paint on hand...

Hope everyone liked the tutorial.
    Seemed like a lot of folks checked it out and the response was great.
    I'll do another soon, something totally different.

Thanks everyone and particularly Jason Manley who hosted all these pictures, it was a ton o'fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Please

Dude! Iam so sorry but I still cant see the pics. They are blue squars. I know Iam asking too much from you but is there any way you can email it to me PLEASE.You are the best man.I love your thread. Iam starting a monster character on Sunday and wanted to use your painted character for ref. I did some cool sculpts before but did not get the chance to actualy paint them. I will post all my stuff when I get the chance. My work takes up to much of my time. Thanks again for your help. Oh, do you have a website?

Quote Originally Posted by sakona
    Is it just me? becuse some of the pics are a blue square with a question mark in it.shit, Iam dieing to se the painted character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Pete,

I just have to say this is one of thee best totorials i have seen on this. It's extremely funny since I have been into Maquetts since I was very little & haven't stopped since. I just recently got into using Sculpey. & have been using the Sculpey 3 in Ivory. for some reason Ivory has a bit more strength than the other colors. My one major downfall (since I was mainly self taught) was I never learned to make the Armature, & since I am a poor art student (whats new? lol, thats what happens when your work full time & go to college full time, & have your own place ;p) I can't afford to buy any DVDs on the subject. I know John Brown makes a great DVD series for Gnomon on the Armature & Maquette design. but they around like 70$ a DVD. soooo I am really glad a freind of mine showed me this forum.

I have always wanted to do maquetts for a living, but could never figure out how that was going to work out. How is the Job market for Sculptures in the Concept feild? I am currently in the Desgin department at my school & taking random classes of intrest, & doing Maquettes in my free time. Is there any specific Classes you would recommend I should take?

As for references, I agree with you completely. I buy alot of National Geographic for great Animal shots, as well as the body building magazines. An even better reference, is I usually try to use my roommates when I can, you can never have too much real life reference.

the images for the painting session were not working, it said something about my user name & password (domain) for www.massiveblack.com. & when I clicked cancel (of coarse) the pictures turned to lil red X's. my one question on painting. you had said that you use Acrylic paint for painting your maquetts. Over the years I was taught that you can paint oil over acrylic. but not the other way around. I used to do this alot with my paintings. cause I find acrylics can be kind of dull at times & I need a bit of richness. so a lil oil here & there will do the trick. I was wondering if you know if this would work the same on Sculpey. doing an under coating of acrylic on the maquette & then painting oil on top? I have done this on a white polymer earth & wear clay, & it seems to have great results if done correctly.

sorry for the long post :p I got here to long in the game, alot on my mind after reading this fantastic thread. hey do you have a website or an e-mail/IM to beable to get in contact with? if you have the time want to shoot an e-mail my addy is anewnecross@aol.com again thank you soooooo much! you have no idea how much this post has touched & inspired my direction as an artist.

sincerly,
    ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The photos are being fixed...don't know what went wrong there.

Thanks Ryan. Never taken any classes...so I don't what to tell you. Anything from an accomplished teacher will add to your arsenal.

sakona: www.peterkonig.com ....thanks!

Chahiro: thankyou tons

Slammer: glad I could help

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like I need to do another tut soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you deffinitly have to !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's amazing... and I thought it was much more complicated than this... your tutorial really broke it down into simple, yet direct steps where people can put their own twist on it while still having a great lesson.

Badass finished product, I can't wait until I get to start working on some of these projects.

Great work, man, thanks for sharing with us!

Ian

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hi, i'm new here. i just finish reading tru the tutorial....and i'm speechless....wat can i say....this tutorial is SUPERB!!! 2 thumbsup!!!
    hope to see more tutorial coming on the way....
    !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot for posting this tut! I checked it a while ago - and it motivated me to do my first serious sculpture.. (maquette). It's not quite done, it needs some sorta texture as well as finalized muscle structure, but its gettin close.

-S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool maquette. The paint job is superb as well 8)

"Beavis, chicks don't have nads, I already told you that, huh-huh,huh-huh!"

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7495090&type=3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look what i've found!

Interview with the master at:
    PIXELSURGEON

Great read.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the Knowledge!

Hey thanks alot for posting this tutorial, it taught me some valuable stuff and totally motivated me to make my first serious sculpt. Here's the link, I'd be totally honored if u checked it out.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47424

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Other Clays?

Hey Pete,

Have you ever worked with other types of Polymer Clays? I work with Cernit, Prosculpt, and Sculpey for certain occasions, but want to know if you have had any experience with Kato Clay. Or anyone out there ever used it?

Loved the tutorial and it has inspired me Big Time!! Thank Pete.

TC
    EarthFairies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

There isnt much i can say about this threadthat the people havent already said so i will keep this brief. Not only are you incredibly talented but generous in showing so many people who had no idea how this work was done. I work in 2D and wouldn't have a clue where to begin in your line of work. Absolutely fascinating to read and watch you work.

Thats it, and yes you've heard it all before, and so you should. Take care and best of luck.

Steve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very solid tutorial.

Keith

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    may i have some pics of the circled items here?...hope ur still around..
    woonderfulll tut also..very in depth..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the one with ring around.. smellybug has sendt pics of it... look at all pages

Hive_minD

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

pdf Suggestion

How about you put this whole tutorial into pdf and get it uploaded onto some webspace? I know the idea was to clarify people's questions as you went on, but you could add to your original comments to clear up certain points.

I ask because, at some point this tutorial will probably go off the internet, (probably not for ages), and people won't be able to access it; I don't think I could bear to loose this thing at some point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What project is this for?

YOUR WORK IS AMAZING. I feel as if I can actually do this on my own, thanks to your tutorial. I love it when someone can explain what he's doing very clearly. Thank you.

What project is this creature for? I won't give away titles, but are you doing this for an upcoming Stan Winston film?

How long did all this take you to do, from soup to nuts?

Again, thank you for showing your work. This is a pleasure to drink in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

PDF of Tutorial???

I have sent a message to Smellybug asking if I can post a .PDF of this tutorial. Haven't heard from him yet however. I made a .PDF already for myself but wouldn't want to get yelled at if I gave it out. Of course credit was fully given to Pete. ^_^

What do you say Pete?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow....I can't believe this tutorial, thank you so much, absolutely jaw dropping work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not touched my sculpting stuff for about 4 years. After reading through this tut, I'm so fired up to sculpt!

thanks SB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This tut is just great.
    I never thought about modelling but now I wanna try it.
    Ok lemme' see what I need....

Tools ? Ok, I think for the first tries, I just use the good old kitchen knife and other things. ^^ Should be no problem.

Ok, the clay.
    I am not very used to the different kind of clays.
    I heard about "super sculpey" and "super sculpeyIII". Whats the difference ?
    Though this pro-stuff is too expensive for a starter, what alernatives are there, that are cheaper, but still have good quality ?

What do I have to pay attention on ? (Except that the clay isnt a year old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaejoun
    I am not very used to the different kind of clays.
    I heard about "super sculpey" and "super sculpeyIII". Whats the difference ?
    In colour, Super Sculpey is a translucent pink-beige only. It features fine tooling and detailing characteristics, and does not "fill in" after tooling. If you opt to paint your cured piece, acrylic paint or the application of water-based glaze prior to painting with oils is recommend. Paint should be applied in thin washes rather than thick coats for the best paint to clay bond. After curing, Super Sculpey bakes to a ceramic-like hardness and can be sanded to a fine smoothness. It only comes in bulk starting at 1lb.

Sculpey III also maintains tooling and detailing. Once cured, Sculpey III bakes hard and takes on a matte, bisque type finish. It comes in a verity of colours (more than any of the other Sculpeys and can be easily mixed to form your own custom palette and can be mixed with other polymers. However it is more brittle than Super Sculpey and smaller tips and end will break if knocked about. This is sold at almost any craft store and come in little packs.

Personally I prefer Premo Sculpey but I don’t think it will be your first choice because it is more expensive. I like it because it is easy to condition and more flexible once cured. This flexibility gives it great durability, it is not as flexible as SuperFlex but that stuff is a pain to condition and the bending is too much for my needs. Another thing I like about Premo is that it is softer than the others when conditioned and therefore bonds almost instantly to the sculpt. This could be a downfall to those who like to position and then repostion their clay. That about covers the Sculpey commercial! I hope it answers your question.

niggle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow... this is amazing tutorial plus inspirational thread...
    I will make stop by here daily basis...

Stupid is as stupid does

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you guys, if I made a dvd of a sculpt process of some kind and sold it on my site,

1) Would you be interested?

2) What would you think an acceptable price would be?

Reply here or to my www.smellybug@earthlink.net address.

Thanks again y'all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would buy it for $ 20.-
    IMO most of the sculpting DVD's are too expensive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd definately be interested in a DVD. 20 bucks sounds about fair, too. Maybe more, depending on how much sculpting goodness is packed into said DVD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Petey Bug,

I think that $20. is a good fair price, all depending on what is in it I guess too.
    If you went into more details (as you know it) and explained what would be in
    it, then we'd all get a better understanding about how much, fair, and maybe
    even suggestions on what some might want to see in it.

I think it would be safe to say that you wouldn't have any problems selling any
    of these either, I mean, it's one of the most popular tutorials on this site, so
    if you made a new one, crowds 'just might gather'...

It'd definitely be a boost to your income after you get all of the tutorial done,
    then, afterwards, just have a place burn you a bunch of DVD's and rake in the
    money! heheh

You have undoubtedly inspired the new sculptor, as well as the old, and this
    DVD would not only help us, it'd help you, which ain't a bad thing.

Good luck on that, and thanks for the first tutorial, and I can't wait to see the
    next one, and you might get an Oscar for your efforts! heheh

Randy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SmellyBug -

1) Yes, I would buy your sculpt CD.

2) $25 - $50 would be a steal for us who purchase it and keep the rippers at bay the more affordable it is.

I hope you do this tutorial CD because the one in this thread is probably the best I've ever seen on the net.

Please keep us posted on this.

END

32. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldMane For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook