Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

Until The Light Takes Us - Starts in Berkeley on March 5th

Hi,

I'm helping promote this film and I helped it get booked in the bay area.

Berkeley, CA starts March 5 @ the Rialto Cinemas Elmwood on College Ave. http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php...1344141&ref=mf

Starts Friday March 5 - March 12, 8 & 10 pm

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=208700001423

Tix available here: http://www.rialtocinemas.com/index.php?location=elmwood

UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US
    A Film by Aaron Aites and Audrey Ewell

“CRITIC’S PICK! Richly compelling and artfully shot.”
    - LA Weekly

“Morbidly fascinating”
    - Variety

"Incredibly Effective" - Ain't It Cool News

"UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US is a stunning, voyeuristic window into the morbid world of Norwegian black metal, the most malevolent musical genre in existence, whose surprisingly articulate founders hold complex sets of extreme nationalist, anti-Semitic and anti-Christian beliefs. Unlike musical purveyors of evil who do so only for the sake of showmanship, these young friends actually practice what they preach, engaging in rampant church burning, suicide, and – as notoriously chronicled in the European media – murder.

Co-directors Aaron Aites and Audrey Ewell spent two years living in Oslo, where they procured the trust of ringleader Varg Vikernes (a/k/a “Count Grishnack”), architect of the criminal movement. Along with other influential members of the “Black Circle,” Vikernes gave the filmmakers unprecedented, intimate access to their shadowy world. UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US chronicles the true story behind the music and mayhem, and reveals what happened when these complicated young artists could no longer control the dangerous scene they had created. Featuring interviews with outspoken black metal fan Harmony Korine, musicians Gylve Fenriz Nagell, Varg Vikernes, Hellhammer, Faust, Abbath and Demonaz, Garm, Faust, Frost and more, and the music of Black Dice, Boards of Canada, Burzum, Darkthrone, Enslaved, Gorgoroth, Lesser, Mayhem, Múm, Sunn 0))), Thorns, and Ulver. (USA, 2009, English, 93 minutes)

Music fans: the film Until the Light Takes Us is showing worldwide starting this month.

This movie is a documentary about why people make black metal. It's both a movie about metalheads, and a movie about people trying to change their world with music.

It won a ton of awards. Not bad for a DIY, shoestring budget film.

Support this movie as it shows in your town:

* Facebook
    * Last.fm
    * MySpace

Please come!
    Jake
    Last edited by OldJake666; March 3rd, 2010 at 01:52 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Youtube video doesn't work.

This video has been removed by the user.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    Ok judging from the trailer, at first it seems the authors trying to be neutral and shit, and finally someone interviewing Varg seems like the right path to go for this objective to be reached.. and right when he says that what he did wasn't satanist influenced at all... bang, bad ass "evil" music (burzum), and video footage of church burning, photos of band members with corpse paint and knives and shit.... it's Lord of Chaos all over again. Still, will have to finally judge it when I see it.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Well, seeing as the movie is mainly focused around Varg/Burzum, I think that it's appropriate to use his most famous song in the trailer...

Thanks
    Of course regarding to that bad ass song. My main concern was mostly the "reused" church imagery. It's a black metal documentary after all, so I think anyone who wants to make a documentary about this will have a tough time not to mention that stuff at all. Allthough the documentary "True Norwegian Black Metal" from VBS.tv does a very good job at it.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GriNGo View Post
    Ok judging from the trailer, at first it seems the authors trying to be neutral and shit, and finally someone interviewing Varg seems like the right path to go for this objective to be reached.. and right when he says that what he did wasn't satanist influenced at all... bang, bad ass "evil" music (burzum), and video footage of church burning, photos of band members with corpse paint and knives and shit.... it's Lord of Chaos all over again. Still, will have to finally judge it when I see it.

This was not at all like that by the way. I thought it was a phenomenal documentary and I'd see it again.

Thanks
    Can you give us a review?

Thanks
    Last edited by Glum Tum; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:57 AM.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    Is it a sad movie?
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    Is it a sad movie?
    Ummmmm... Kind of. By the end you feel very sympathetic towards Fenriz and the original black metal scene.

Thanks

Sad? WTF.... well anyhow. I'm glad he's back. Have you heard the new album yet Jake? Highly recommended to you... even if the album art is not to your standards.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ^ Hah, I love that picture. And don't doubt it, the movie is kind of "sad".

I have heard the new album. I really liked it at first but it just got worst each listen. It's very boring and uninspired, TBH.

Thanks
    Enslaved is in it? Enslaved kicks ass.

It looks to me as if it's less about the music and more about the murders and church burnings. If it weren't for the crimes, I doubt the movie would even be considered. Didn't Ghaal have a documentary on him just because he tortured some guy and had that gorgoroth show with the decapitated sheep heads?

Thanks
    I don't recall Enslaved being in it, actually. They don't interview anyone from the band, at least. They may have slipped a song in there without me noticing it.

Thanks
    I find it odd and cool that Sunn O))) is in the movie, even though they're technically not black metal.

Thanks
    It's just a song of theirs, it's not like they're actually interviewed or something. There's also a lot of electronic/glitch stuff like Boards of Canada.

Thanks
    Decapitated animals are pretty standard in black metal concerts. The Mayhem concert I went here in Ecuador had some decapitated pigs. I'm ashamed I didn't go to Gorgoroth though... they sound so bad ass.