Art: False Affirmation

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

False Affirmation

I think that I am finished. Criticism is appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bulldawg, Very nice painting!

I have little criticism to give. I wonder if some more extreme contrast around the cup could help it gain more depth and pop. It might be the picture/scan but it looks like there is a lighter color/halo around the cups borders making its silhouette more fuzzy.

Beautiful colors, beautiful texture, beautiful piece.

Rock on! :Teeth:

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work, i agree with the comment above, I would also shadow the area near the pencil to knock it back a bit. in the future, I would avoid creating parallel lines like the book and pencil are making in the setup stage, its distracting feels stiff, if the pencil was resting on the book at some fighting angle it would look natural and easy going. Im all for geometric compositions, but if so, really push that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments! Especially the composition feeling stiff. I have a problem that I always try to make my brush strokes, marks and other art elements too perfect. I have not been happy with most of my artwork. I struggle to create an amazing execution, detailed, realistic and spontaneous art. Being an great and timeless artist is juggling act that I have yet to figure out.

Last edited by Bulldawg Creative; March 5th, 2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: change word from still to stiff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I very much like the glow around the cup, contrary to the previous posters. I think it adds a luminosity of light that would be lost if you were to take it away, i think it adds interest and think you should definitely try and push it and see where it can go. See the jacob collins picture attached for some ideas on how to better control it.

The one thing that I have issues with is the unity shadow and light. What I mean is that if you were to emphasize the separation of light and shade a little more and group all your shadows together and all your lights together, we would get a better impression of the whole. Right now every object seems isolated and seperate from each other (the pen especially), i presume this is because you have looked at each item individually without keeping in mind it's placement in the big picture. All of your lights could be expanded and simplified, which would make a stronger light impression. The cloth for example is looking a little dirty with all these distracting half tones getting in the way of the light quality. Squint way down and see what is truly essential for capturing that light.

Also your shadows are way too busy. Simplify them, again by squinting way down. You could probably darken them all too. If you look into the shadows you will see too much. Right now there is too much going on in them which makes us look into them when we should be gazing in wonderment at the light. Make the shadows boring and you create life in the light.

That's my opinion anyways. Good job and good luck !False Affirmation

7. The Following User Says Thank You to koala.one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with koala

the little glow around the cup is what drew me to this piece. everything seems to glow a little bit... I dont know Id keep it.

Website

-My Blog

-Isaacs blog
    has nothing to do with art but I feel compelled to put it up to promote it.

I will create a sketchbook at some point but school is taking up a lot of time and its hard to get pictures of all my sketches.

All the work on the blog is current.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    koala.one- I greatly appreciate the detailed critique. Your comments have really given me a different outlook, especially grouping and separating my lights/shadows more.

Jacob Collins an amazing artist, he is one of my favorite painters! Very inspirational.

Bhrandon- thanks for commenting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good painting! I too love the warm glow that it has around the cup. Maybe try to control it more? I think adding some cools would work out too just to give the piece contrast in temperature but that all depends on what your going for. The warmth of it works fine. It was just a thought.

Maybe try simplified the shapes of your strokes and pick your spots on where to show more brush strokes instead of the whole piece. The painting that koala.one posted by Jacob Collins is a create example of flat surface vs. more textured/brush stroke surface.

My two cents. Keep up the good work man. I'm really diggin' it!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.