Sketchbook: The PHATandy Tome of Daily Updates. - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The PHATandy Tome of Daily Updates.

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow man, looked through your old sketchbooks and you have improved like crazy! I gotta say I especially love your life-drawings, and ye I agree with mc2mc2 that they remind of Harld Speed. Keep it up, you rock!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude not posted on here in a while (still got exams until tuesday) but its looking awesome! Really like the life drawings (especially the ones from the beach those are seriously good!). This latest magic card is looking cool, although I agree with what you say about trying to portray the actual geometry of stuff more and using less abstract marks. I think a good example of this can be seen in the rocks of this latest piece. You have rendered it so that it suggests the fact that the rock face isn't smooth, but then when you look closely the faces are difficult to imagine and the rivers run off seemingly smooth rock face at an angle.

Having said that the wall of swords one before is awesome man - very jealous of your ability! Although its finished now I would say that perhaps the swords could have been given slightly more depth by each row finishing at different lengths (due to clouds obscuring them?) Just a thought although tbh how it looks right now I'd be seriously proud of it

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lord M - yeaahh I dont like going back to those, that was a pretty long time ago. It hurts to look through that old shit. Thanks very much though

Tom - I was suitably unimpressed by my swords one really. I mean its ok, but it just feels cheap to me because it was so easy to do. Just some clouds and repeated swords
    Thanks for the crits and compliments though. Always appreciated.

So doing some armor studies - REALLY enjoyed these and I think Im learning a lot from them too. Hopefully gonna do more then put em into practice, using the ideas of actual joints/joins and armor styles etc.

And because Im drawing been reading some of my Moebius stuff, cus hes so goddamn awesome. Love it.

Moebius
    Moebius
    Moebius
    Moebius
    Moebius - Heres a whole page of some of his comics in english, some of his wordless ones are awesome.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everything looks great, man. no real critiques.

you mentioned a few posts back that you felt like your portraits were inconsistent (which i took to mean getting a likeness was difficult). I noticed the figure drawings after that often had no faces or, provided they did have a face, it was tied to a very presumptive notion of a face-- ie, generalizing over observing. what i always do when i feel like i'm especially weak on a particular part of anatomy, i study up on the actual underlying structure the morning/afternoon before i go into the session and then only draw that area of the body (and those that immediately connect to it). knee session, collarbone/shoulder session, etc. if you hit a gesture class with a few portrait intensive sessions, it'd probably help a ton. and remember, shapes, shapes, shapes. if you think of major areas as simplified shapes (the front plane of the nose through the top of the forehead as a tree, for example), then you can whip your proportions into shape before getting bogged down with details and anatomy. after that, keep it simple and tie larger masses together, simplify plains and use those shadow edges to keep your proportions in check throughout.

hope some of that helps. that island card was sick ;p

-: [ sketchbook | sour.org ] :-

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sourgasm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow the armor studies look awesome. deliscious lines and a good eye for detail.
    and I like where your colors are going a lot, on that floating island especially. A minor critique would be that I don't like how the very top is cut off by the frame. I think the piece would feel more complete if you either extended the picture on top to fit the island in completely or made it look like there was a lot more islandmass not to see. right now my eye is drawn to the little tree thing in the small gap too much. That said I really like the blues and general colors you gave the rocks.
    also love the story pages about the samurai. ablsolutely beautiful little paintings.
    I think you don't need the overlapping elements though. you have enough dynamics with the different sizes and forms of your panels. But thats probably a matter of taste.
    and you DO have agreat taste in comics! Otomo and Moebius are exactly my two favourite comicartists.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to monotony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The magic card floating island looks really good, great colors and those armor studies excellent.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jskotte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    armors are sweeett dude!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Yor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NICE!

Moebius is a muh-sheen! one of my favs. Keep up the rad work!

Phil Lietz
    www.phillietz.com
    www.phillietz.blogspot.com

16. The Following User Says Thank You to phizpietl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sourgasm - Thanks, and thanks for the tips. Ive been meaning to try and do a whole day of life drawing just doing portraits but I never got around to it. Trying to do shapes and proportions first is what I normally do but it doesnt seem to help so much, I then struggle placing the features etc. Sometimes my better drawings are from working from the features outwards, working out their placement in relation to each other. Since those are the most recognisable parts of the face. Thanks for the great tips though dude, Im definitely gonna look into and work on it some more.

Monotony - Yeh it was an unusual choice but I kind of liked it, im guessing i should of done what you said and made it so the whole of the island continued upwards, not cutting off just little segments. Thanks for the comments and compliments though, really appreciate it dude.
    I think id be close to agreeing to say those are probably my favorite two comic artists as well.

Jskotte - Thanks!
    Yor - Cheers
    Phizpietl - Thanks very much dude, Love your work!

And started my next card. Its 'Ondu Giant'... hes a sort of giant that is like a gardener to whole forests and trees and stuff. Theres a few issues i need to work out but its going ok eventually, spent a lot time looking for the idea then comp then colours but i feel like i can keep changing it as i go, so well see how that works out. Working on the fly as much as possible. The giant still needs some work - hes need to be more giant like, and feel a little more exotic in size/shape. Hopefully when i define the growths on his shoulders etc it will be more obvious. Gonna work in some more reference to get across the picture that hes as big as a tree, like the deer in the background or whatever, because at the moment the front tree looks quite small, but it supposed to be a large wide tree. I might work another tree in the foreground or something.

Anyways.. time for some Red Dead Redemption absolutely loving the atmosphere and world building in this, with the music and wildlife its such a joy to explore out in the wild. Awesomeness.

Edit - colours are a little more vibrant and strong, there should be a nice brightness to the sky blue and the greens on the giant. Foreground needs darkening up I see too. More contrast.
    Theres some funny alignments too, with the giants feet placement and the tree hes touching. Might be better to push him into the background some more. Although I need to push his upwards foreshortening too
    So much to do!!!

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The big foreground tree makes him look small.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I absolutely love your artwork. I just started drawing and painting again after a long hiatus, and looking at your sketchbook has inspired me. Thanks for doing what you do

The intense colors in your paintings and drawings draw my eye in. I'm a sucker for nice use of color.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Nutella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works ,your paper works are so nice!keep it up my friend.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LAL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    armando - Cheers dude, I wanted a tree like that, but i totally see what you mean. Think some big changes are needed. Ty.

Nutella - Thanks a lot dude, glad I could help a fellow artist out with some encouragement

LAL - Cheers dude!!

Life drawing today. After a very frustrating start, a couple of really bad small heads and shit. All terrible. I settled into working on some longer portraits. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. Probably something like 1hr30 for each, maybe 1hr. Anyways, they went pretty well, and for likeness they are probably among the best portraits Ive done, and Im kinda happy with the actual drawings too, but I was getting confused between hatching and proper shading half the time. But my hatching was never really defined hatching, so as long it produced a good finish overall I wasn't too bothered. The first one has a better finish, with a slight less likeness, but I was more confident on getting the shapes and working into the details. The second one (which I drew first) obviously took me longer to get into and work out the shapes so I didnt get to finish it so much, but the likeness is pretty good (well, maybe not good, but MUCH better than normal).

Gonna work on my magic card and after looking through Dermot Power's website, which a friend showed me, I shit my pants from awesome and wanna draw something awesome.
    Coincidentally that picture will also help me with my picture a lot, thats pretty much the feeling I wanted for the faded background and the mossy look of the tree. Really glad I found this guys website, his work is VERY much how I like to approach mine, with his use of line, brush strokes and block areas of colour. Gonna look up some ref and use some pictures like that or Frazettas to work on something a bit better. Peace out.

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those portraits are lightyears ahead of the older ones! They have a lot more personality, form and interesting shapes to them.Top one has much stronger use of value and darks in general.
    Try doing some tighter/smoother hatching (ie keep lines close together) to control edges a bit more. Try not to crosshatch in too many layers, it creates mud imo.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

28. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looooove the portriats! I agree with everything SirGreenSock has just said.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    aw pumpkin you're so awesome hahaha

yes yes yes work on those faces! the magic cards make me happy. :]

32. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Socks - Spot on dude, when I was doing the rendering I always half way between soft rendering and hatching so it became a bit of a mess in places. I love that pure spaced line hatching but it requires a LOT of confidence in your lighting and shadows etc.
    Thanks for compliments and comments, appreciated as always dude

Pixie - Glad you like em! haha i agree too, he knows what hes talking about

Matt - Glad I make you happy my little squash (couldnt think of a fruit thats similar to a pumpkin... need to brush up on my pumpkin relatives.)

Just working on the Giant some more.
    Im going backwards, but its actually forwards. Just spending some time working out the comp a bit more,the perspective and what I want to the trees to look like. Changing colours and tones some more. Nothing comprehensive. Any thoughts are good. The main is I need to think of something to put in the foreground that will put the scale in concrete. I kind of like the idea of a character leaning around the front tree, but being a magic card, I dont want any other focuses other than the main dude.

And from Dermot's Stuff I looked through earlier, A couple of gems I really like. Love how he mixes in linework with loads of his stuff, I REALLY need to investigate this more, since linework is something I really like in all manners. Dermot seems to take similar influences too, like Moebius and Terada. I can see some Mccaig too, Im guessing from working on Star Wars with him...

Beowulf characters
    Some awesome helmets, remind of Conan a lot.
    Star wars! star wars! star wars!
    Star Wars! Love the simplicity here so much.

Edit/Note for later - Picture seems cramped compared to last one. Need some simpler shapes/flow and some more open space.

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

34. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That latest magic card looks awesome! Don't forget the face. My only crit would be the patch of light coming through the hole of the foreground tree is detracting from the focal point (I prefer the foreground in the previous version with its solid patch of shadow).

Keep it up man, you're doing bloody great!
    P.S. Dermot Power is awesome.

Last edited by Eddieee; June 1st, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddieee For This Useful Post:

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know much about magic cards, but any sort of trading card I've ever seen has the subject taking up most of the available space. In your image, the trees take up 2/3 of the space, and not all of your giant is there (ok, just some of his head... I'm being picky ). I think overall I prefer the previous wip. I see what you're trying to do with the hint of light blue on his torso (reflected light yadda....), but I think this reduces the contrast between him and the sky and therefore makes him blend into the bg more. The body language in the first is also very good. It looks like he's just taking a stroll and having a good time!

I came across a person who had made a mock magic card, and Dan Dos Santos gave him some very useful tips that I think are applicable. Here's the link -> Link, Link....

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies mate!!!love the lines up there.
    Now its a very good thing that you putted the giant on some atmospheric effects and placed him in the 3d space with that.
    Now there is yet no very much play with the focus area and the less important regions.Try to tide up with more detail the thing you wanna say(maybe the animals can be important ) and make the non important a little rough/smooth
    The important is that if i semi close my eyes i think i get a nice lightning in the scene so i guess you are doing great.Keep up the good work!!!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies and work man

42. The Following User Says Thank You to oren90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the atmospheric perspective really helps bring the character up to size, but that foreground tree is bugging me. Its completely parallel to the giant and fairly similar in size that it completely flattens out the entire effect. Also, the foliage of trees he is reaching for seems to perfect/artificial to be natural

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

44. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking decent man - Like the last magic card, although I have to agree with most people about the placement of light (but I'm certain that you've got it covered). One other thing I would notice is the positioning of the deer. You can just about get away with it on this one but if you were to tilt the picture so the ground was horizontal they would be leaning oddly. Comparing objects to the horizon and relative angles of other objects (yadda yadda).

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

46. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dropping this from Uni since I cant be bothered to Email it home and then post it.
    Might post again later but unlikely. Girlfriend is down for a few days = lazytown.

Edit - reading through comments! Thanks a lot guys these are REALLY awesome crits, very thoughtful stuff. When I work on it again Ill try and put all this in. Thanks very much you guys, really!

Last edited by PHATandy; June 4th, 2010 at 07:57 PM.

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real nice handling of the values Andy. His right foot is bugging me but its an awkward angle.
    Take a few days off, ya earned it dude.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

50. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Socks - Cheers buddy, unintentionally you've given me a good crit, what you should of said was "Hey Andy, it looks like youve given her broad shoulders and and a rigid upper body, it makes it look like a man." But alas you didnt know i was drawing a woman! hohoho. lol. My bad...

All of the crits from before guys were really awesome, really appreciated all of them. Some good stuff - Im trying to keep it all in mind as I work it more. The upwards foreshortening, the slanted horizon and the depth/scale effects are given me some serious jip in comparison to readability/focus and composition. Everytime I change or move one thing it seems to throw everything else out of balance. Im still working on it. Making some changes as I type, might post before bed if not tomorrow

Heres some helmets.
    Stuff is from Best Armour, its pretty sweet stuff. I found the link from Ralph Horsley's blog if i remember...

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that link is awesomeness, bookmark'd.
    Nice studies, maybe try embellishing a few of em next time see what kinda shapes you can make outta them.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

54. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Argh MAN!awesome updates!The armors are looking good

56. The Following User Says Thank You to Cameli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cameli and Socks - Thanks a lot guys! Appreciate you stopping by

Just noodling with this some more. Ive sort of just ended up opening it up each day and playing with it for a few hours. Moving stuff around mostly. Ive started a bit of rendering I guess. But Im still struggling with rendering. I feel like I should be going deeper but Im also getting to the point where I think That I cant do anymore in the way I work. Maybe I just need to work on getting a level of finish in the manner I work already without actually spending more time rendering etc. Make sure I get it right and looking good first time... ah well, Im probably just thinking about it too much.

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

58. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh this piece is becoming very nice.It already offers a nice mood with the colors and such. Btw thnx very much for the link!!!really great resource, and damn very good lines!!!
    keep going!!!

60. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 27