Page 31 of 68 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    loving the updates. wow that's drastic of a change on greyscales images. i can't believe it. could it be Chrome is portraying images wrong as well? or is it CA's uploading client?

i wonder how many grey scale images i've posted and they looked terrible because of this.
    how did you fix it?

i like what you did in that last post. you made the enviro more lookable. i like!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Socks Thanks, appreciate it.
    Tom Thank you!!
    Kungfoo Yeh the composition is still very wonky. It drifts very hard to the right. Thank you
    Brahimpag thanks buddy
    Matt It was to do with CA's uploader. It was to do with saving the image in greyscale mode in photoshop. Having the psd in greyscale carried that over to the jpeg, which then CA had a problem with. In RGB it was perfect.
    Thanks too!

Annd I dont wanna dwell on this. I tried. It was shit. Really couldnt get to grips with this. I tried painting from dark to light more and it just wasnt working for me. all those years maybe of sketching - working white to black makes it hard for me. But this is REALLY highlighting my inability to render and paint light correctly in anything more than basic forms. Or paint light for different material types.
    Gonna start doing some life paintings of stuff really focusing on light on different materials, and stuff like cloth/folds etc etc. Hopefully doing this kind of stuff will help my rendering technique which is still SHOCKING. I cant render and paint fine half the time, but then when im really doing the nitty gritty I just fall apart big time. I cant figure my way around inricate objects, not just in lighting them - but creating them in the first place in convincing 3d forms.
    I feel like I should do more thourough underdrawings but I think I could learn more if I learn to really 'sculpt' my way through things etc.

Basically, yeah, this picture by CAs very own Daniel C Just fucking blows my mind. I would absolutely NO idea on where to start when painting lighting like that. Its just got so many aspects of lighting (not to mention is great use of colour in the light). Just in terms of technicality of how realistically everything is lit. Makes my draw drop.
    Mad props to Daniel for that. That picture is a big inspiration for me right now for some reason. Especially considering hes fucking 22 or 23 and hes working for Microsoft game studios, probably on Halo or some awesome shit.
    Colour my face bright green with Envy. Job and Skiillzz.

Anyways, Night.

Gonna have to read some Neuromancer - which is totally fucking awesome.
    (HATE going to bed having had a bad day working...)

OBLIGATORY EDIT OF RAGE - my tonal levels are SOOO bad, I was trying to achieve dark colours for the arms (kinda like the right) but my inability to tone has the left atm being far too bright. The highlights are too much, should be much more lowkey for the material i was trying to achieve (think matte-black plastic or metals, - low reflective qualities)
    Last edited by PHATandy; September 4th, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah you can tell youre struggling with figuring out the light and form here, overall its alright though, materials are coming across for the most part.
    Im sure youve seen it, but worth taking a look again at the PSG tuts, really good breakdowns of form and material from a more technical standpoint.
    One of the tips my technical illustration prof gave us regarding material is that a lot of materials can be rendered by conisdering the contrast between highlight,light,core shadow and reflected light. Matte surfaces like skin have very soft gradations between them unless there is a sudden plane change, whereas on a shiny or metallic surface you will often have the highlights right next to dark tones or shadows with less gradation between them.
    Life studies would be a definite help, and its something Ive realized I really need to buckle down on myself to get across issues Ive been having with form and material...
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Hey man, try thinking of the large forms as you shade them, that's about all I can say at the moment, just paint large forms first, and worry about painting the details later. =)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great work dude, your enviros are really getting good. Keep working on those figures

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Holland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    oh sweet sketch, massive gun, or is it two guns? maybe needs a thicker belt. I'm not sure I can help with the rendering or forms. Maybe leave the black and the white till last,
    that may work- I do that with the visualising through darkness technique.
    I didnt really notice the left arm being too bright myself, I assumed you want the blade part to stand out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to seagulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I totally understand you. I have the exact same problem as you and I feel like: "Oh Man, all these aweseome guys around already found out the secret why not me too ?" ^^

What helped me was getting used to painter. The brushes there make blending a little more intuitiv and the brushes make it pretty difficult to start on details too early in the sketching.
    To do so in PS I like to use a rotating square-shaped brush for sketching.

And yea, painting from live or at least photo refs is pretty important. I just dont know how to get my Tablet + PC out of my room. ^^ Actually my Pencil sketches are fine as they are, but I struggle to get the feeling for light and realistic colors.
    With a ref its ok, but when I paint from mind ... owww oww oww

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaejoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Socks Yeah its that kind of stuff I just cant figure out when it comes to applying it to something else. My understanding of it is actually kind of worse than I thought somewhat. I have a good grasp on lighting is a 3 dimensional sense. I can tell where light might fall and whats in shadow etc. But when it comes to actually painting the light on the objects with their specific materials and reflective quality I get a little muddled. This ties closely to my awkward rendering methods, I dont really have anyway of rendering form in a nice way (is 100x easier when working from photos, so i have a big gap..)
    Thanks though, good comments.
    Was thinking about Proms tuts when i was doing it, trying to remember it. I should of just pulled it up.

Kungfoowiz Yeah man. Thats something I need to work on a little. Im struggling with rendering and details and get caught up, doing them to early etc.

Holland Thanks very much dude.

Seagulls It was supposed to be two guns but i didnt really flesh it. I wanted a gun on the back and him leaning on another.

Vaejoun yeah the ref to imagination gap drives me crazy. Theres that confusing part in the middle where you have to change what you know in ref around to new forms and things like that. Yeah I always go back to Painter every now and then, I just struggle with definition, its so hard to get nice clean edges in it, with all the brushyness.

Just some bits and pieces.
    Started playing Dwarf Fortress and its crazy complicated but pretty good. Lots of micromanagment and shit like that. Lots to learn. But thats makes it fun in a way. Its like learning a skill or something. Things become rewarding when you figure them out.
    So just did some dooling, then I did some kind of Dwarfy guy, Probably should of been more Dwarfy.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Bro.. these are super awesome characters.. no complaints from the peanut gallery. (=

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    very cool characters , hum is that Arnold Schwarzenegger (post % 451 ) in terminator movie ?
    On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

21. The Following User Says Thank You to raminafshari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    yess! loving these guys clothes and stuff. i wanna read neuromancer. is it sweet!?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sweet work on the characters, love the dwarf, but they both have a lot of character.
    Like the little note on the second one Find myself needing to do that too often, too
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,969 Posts
    these are so damn awesome!!!really your designs and stuff looks great.If you master rendering u will be rocking even harder!!!
    U started with a base there(and maybe to complicated for a value base, the value range on the side is scary)
    The way u rendered the chest makes it read as a flat non that rounded surface.
    I think what will help is to make renderings of objects(not only still life, but imaginary basic objects(to help u work deeply connected with your subject)
    Also take one of these awesome last characters(or both) and start rendering them, give a punch to your flaws.
    Keep highlights limited and add the additional lightsources on later stages.When painting from imagination you work with a workflow and u keep solving a problem by approaching something step by step.Its hard to step immediately in the final result.Its like trying to solve a math problem without solving the problem in steps(when we did that , they always knew we have cheated lol)
    Make a lot of ball renderings and cube (so that u can train both smooth edged graduations and hard edged extreme changes of values)
    And keep in mind that always contrast is there.It does matter if the background is white or not and if not what values stand back there.
    Daniel seems to be using everything that exist in reality .He wisely uses contrast(so damn important),edges,and some overall soft passes of value here and there(this boosts the relation of the lightsource and the object (its like in the end u render the object as a whole mass in relation with the lightsource)
    Ok u have an awesome great potential and its just a barrier u have to break down now.
    Just keep fighting it.
    I did a paintover to make your brain think some additional things

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great dwarf, you know how to use them pencils fo sho!

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some inspiring stuff in here! Keep it up

31. The Following User Says Thank You to richart For This Useful Post:

Page 31 of 68 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast