Page 30 of 68 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Looking good!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jhaptal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kungfoowiz Thanks for the great crits. The composition was always gonna be a bit of a mess. I basically just start drawing shapes and buildings and see where it went. Not much thinking. Cheers.
    kingkostas Thanks man!
    MattGamer My monitor is calibrated pretty well, has good black levels too. But as i figured out above, it was something crazy to do with putting up a greyscale picture. RGB worked perfectly.
    Thanks for all the compliments too. Its hard to see improvement yourself, so Im glad you think I am. Cheers.
    Jhaptal Thanks for the all the crits!! I tried putting a few into it while I was working on the levels thing. Some good ideas. Thanks.
    SirGreenSock Well as you can tell from above it was because of it being greyscale. When saved as RGB it worked fine. Might do some investigating into what actually causes. Cheers too!

And a Sargent study. The mans a genius. Doing this made me realize how important greys are. How you can still have lots of colour, depth and contrast without the use of any really strong colours. Need to look into working with more careful palettes like this. Sometimes it feels like using such a blatently colourful palette is kinda cheating and the easy way out. A realistic - but still colourful picture is much harder to achieve, but probably looks much better.

edit...... Oh. Man, shit is muddy as HELL. My loose brush work seems to have just muddied it all up. Man its ugly. Needs more clearly defined brush strokes. They can be loose, but need to be stronger i think.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Hey bro, Smoke is looking sexy, your darks could be darker though.. mids are looking reasonable imho. Background could be pushed back slightly. Eh it's good though. Keep having fun. =)

Thanks

Wow

This photo looks so real that it's hard to say it was painted or captured on camera for all to see am truly impressed with this one Awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Nice updates dude - I would say one thing about the enviro from imagination above (which is awesome btw).. Was the rain painted on a separate layer last? I think the smoothness of the street looks a bit odd if you look at how heavy the rain looks up close to the viewer. Its like there is a blanket of rain between you and the scene. Thats my only crit the rest is seriously impressive!
    Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Kungfoo Yeah darks always seem to be a problem. On my monitor, the difference between something that quite dark and very dark is VERY hard to see. So a lot of the time I find that my darks just arent dark enough. I need to work on getting them right. Thanks!
    Calvin Thank you!!
    Tom Yeah I worked it on a seperate layer, had to do some stretching and stuff, so it comes off as VERY flat like you say. If I was to add in more splashes and puddles with lots of ripples it would make it less apparent (i think!). Lesson learnt!

And what Ive been doing today. I was going back to using alot more 'brushy' looking brushes but I think Im getting a better handle of edges so its not all fluffy (its not great, just better!). Im finding it hard to mix up the very hard brushes with the brushy textures ones. I get the feeling I should work in hard brushes to start with. Then slowly add in loose textured strokes to soften up certain edges where I need them.
    Problem is when Im painting, I dont have enough thought structure, Im just whacking shit down! Might try a painting, where I specifically limit myself to a set of brushes in a certain order, going from hard to soft..( or other way around? Thats how Jason Manley and Justin Sweet all used to work).

Anyways. BLERG>

Edit - Need to work on Vegetation BIG time. At all ranges. Needs more idea of what kind of stuff is going on. I was hoping to get a bit more of a tropical vibe from this. But my lack of any clear vegetation types, just doesnt show that. IT ALL LOOKS LIKE GRASS! Bummer.
    Edit2 - The buildings are a really boring part of the composition. The rest could be interested but they seem to be making it very boring. Probably should have make it more exciting, like rising further up the cliffs to the left...
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yip, it's all grass unfortunately, although you have started to use some nice darks in here, in the building windows and beneath the bridges.

Try using a palm shaped brush for tropical trees? Vary your colours maybe, important thing though is to go study those references and come back with an informed mind about the matter. Keep well bro.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,969 Posts
    well i like it, and the style reminds me the previous enviro with the brown pallete.
    Yeah it looks like grass because u rendered it like grass (The shape is recognized by the eye as the sillouete of grass)
    Here u did a very good play with light and shadow relations.Also nice depth back there.
    Maybe in some places you need illuminacion.The light that will hit the surfaces will be reflected and have a relation with the surrounding space.You can add these in the end or whatever, with a soft brush(either will low opacity or opacity in pressure)
    also just keep playing with making sharper the places of interest and the places in foreground mostly then midground goes a little more undefined and background even more undefined.
    For tropical or another feeling just push the idea a little more and play around with it adding more level of detail.
    I did some paintover to show the things i wanna tell
    The work is alraedy good, with a little more pushing u are already flying!!!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Im not sure about brush technique but I would say that to give it a bit more interest you could merge the cliff and the castle a lot more. It would be waay more believable if the castle looked a bit more like it had been built partially INTO the rock.

Also for a bit of realism you could maybe consider the construction of the castle. For example if it was built here in a cliff face, would they not use the same rock to build with? Not always obviously.. but often its good to consider the practical stuff like that. Anyway you know all that, I'm just reminding!

Keep it up man - I know I just critted those two things, but honestly I'd pretty much kill to be able to paint enviro's like that lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Andy, great Sb, and tons and tons of cool ideas. About the last one, looks like a good base but I would do a lot of balancing of values and detail from here. First think how you can balance your lighting to serve your composition better, now the light it hitting mainly things that are kindof stuck in the left side of the image drawing most of the attentions to this edge of the painting. Maybe you can "rotate" the light a bit so some corners/tops of other buildings can catch some light and have some clouds casting shadows on top of things that are distracting or not important.
    Another thing, think about reducing contrast and detail even more for objects that are going back in perspective. Especially if you want to achieve a tropical feel, having so much water vapour and humidity in the air will increase and exaggerate the effects of aerial perspective even further, so basically kill any texture/detail/contrast in shadows and background.
    Also think about dark accents as well as dark ones, put black only exactly when or where you and your composition really needs it. For example the right side of the big cliff in foreground looks like it's receding back into the picture but it's actually getting even darker and it seems the viewer it supposed to be sitting quite far from the scene, so you'll probably get a lot more atmosphere in-between. And one last thing CHEAT, , in order to serve the composition best. You can always do improbable and unrealistic things if they serve the composition and the balance.
    OK this was the worst structured comment I've ever written, but I hope it helps. Keep doing the great stuff you're doing!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Seriously I love you guys.
    Had a bit of a mare, came up with loads of problems and you guys go ahead and see em all and offer great solutions. Soooo... I didnt want it to go to waste and spent 2 or 3 hours tweaking the picture.

I think its a bit better. Ive ironed out a few issues. But ultimately I think I doomed the composition. I would need to make very drastic cut and pasting, moving big elements around, but I wasnt really in the mood for such heavy duty work! So I spent time working out some foliage stuff, and carving out proper forms in the rocks and other stuff like that. I learnt a fair bit about really thinking about the space and what is supposed to be going on, as well as harnessing quite a few happy accidents along the way. Like with foliage Im finding that you cant just start building it and splashing stuff about. It has to be VERY considered, and then start working from front to back. Also need to be think about using colour to seperate areas of foliage so it doesnt become one big blob. Its not very good in this, but I think I might be able to do it a little better next time.
    Anyways, enough chit chat.

Kungfoo Yeah man, I always think " i know what a tree looks like, i can paint one!"... But wow, it NEVER works like that. Especially with foliage. Definitely need to spend some more time collecting reference for each picture i paint and the elements in it.

Kostas Really awesome crit man, really appreciate it. Loads of good ideas I put into my picture, Love the waterfall idea - its like I had the space in the picture ready for it!
    Thanks a lot man, the paint over and ideas were really useful.
    Thanks again.

Tom Yeah practicality is something Im quite bad at sometimes, I dont consider enough what Im drawing until Ive put too much in place. I had some better ideas about the architecture in this one, its a shame I didnt put them in. I was thinking about more of a tibetan style mountain palace/temple (hence the colours) but then I changed it a little. Probably could of done better.
    Thanks man.

Calader Really awesome thoughts man. What you said helped me a lot. Especially with regards to adjusting the composition and lighting.
    And I dont care how you structure your comments, all the info is in there! Thats good enough for me.
    Thanks so much, really appreciate it.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sweeeet shiiit man the repaint is a massive improvement(tm)!!

much much much more thought about shapes and shiz, foliage is actually foliage!
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the foliage on the above post = very awesome. really improved on the original

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh wow.. what an improvement.. you could add just a bit more variation on the right hand side, near where you have the strongest lighting, there it feels like there should be more highlight scattered on the rock. But cool, this latest piece has just taken off!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Brahimpag For This Useful Post:

Page 30 of 68 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast