Page 30 of 79 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: The PHATandy Tome of Daily Updates.

Thanks
    Thanks jskotte! Appreciate it.

Just fiddling around. Think I might take this into more detail. Really flesh out building styles and architecture and stuff. Its sort of an idea, but I wont bore you with the concept. Its just a rough layout - once again though, its completely different to what I had in mind. Maybe ill try again and keep going until I can formulate something close to whats in my head. I think that might work.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Neat, you have some fun concepts in here, sketches look great!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to karen_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Hey bro, it's looking good already, it has an eastern feel to it. The tops of the buildings could be varied some more, but if it wasn't what you had in mind, yip, keep going. =)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Karen - Thanks very much mate, really loved your sketchbook! Some real great stuff.

Kungfoo - Thanks a lot dude. Im going for an eastern feel so thats good, and well you can see. The flat roofs were intended for the gardened tops i had an idea for.

Just did some more on it really. Had quite a bit of fun really. Theres something I really like about designing a space and architecture. I don't know what it is, I think its to do with how it can be about simple design and shapes and how they can look good or bad. Or how they can represent or give emotions of certain cultures. Like the designs I picked are very simple b/w square based, but (i hope are reminiscent of middle east/Mediterranean sort of stuff.
    I think with regards to technique I REALLLLLYYYY need to find a way of quickly discovering and drawing/painting environments in full colour. It comes so easy (they might not be good) and they flow out of me. But adding colour or doing a full painting would just kill me. Really need to look into ways of using brushes or something to help me paint architecture or something. Gonna have to do some experiments I think.

Anywho...

Edit ... ugh, I broke my own design rules with the temple (top left). Cant Unsee!!
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really envy your ability to work with form, space, and design with your environments. Looks great! Really nice design and sense of scale and atmosphere going on.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Greensocks - Thanks a lot dude, really appreciate the compliments. Very nice of you.

Annnnd some more.
    Having fun doing this stuff. I did some sketches in my book but I cant scan tonight. Will draw some more and scan tomorrow . Ive been thinking a lot about portfolio and what I wanna be doing and stuff like that. So Im gonna focus on doing stuff that I could see my self putting in my portfolio. Like isometric drawings and stuff like that. Trying to think about styles to work in and how I can convey my message etc etc. Quickest method. Putting in another colour and texture. Need to think about my working method. Could do with a touch more realism. maybe add some textures or something - maybe think about more realism in building or architectural styles. Proper sized bricks and stuff. Kinda feels like a buildings from Zelda or something (not necessarily a problem..???)

Blerg.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ARRGGHHHHHH

Man I could write a biiiiiig long post about this and that, all about my painting and how it went all good bad, everywhere in between and just ended up a mess. The Drawing was good i suppose (i figured out a nice working method)... a little uninspired though. Anyways, Ive spent the last 3 hours working on it all, but what it is, doesnt really matter anymore. I learnt something.... I think.

Basically. I cant render. AT ALL. I simple just do not know how to approach rendering/painting in a 'method' sort of way. I can often understand where I need to get to, but my approach just seems all wrong. I dont know where to start in terms of laying down colours to achieve what I want or where I need to soften edges and things like that. I can visualize what I need, and know what needs to be doing what. But man I just cant get it out.
    I think what I like about this is I know..that is just plain practice that is gonna help me do that. Photostudies or life paintings seem to skip this part out for me, in the process of just copying. Im not actually thinking about it enough.
    So Im gonna maybe devise some stuff where maybe Im working from a photo - but using it as ref for creating a similar scene, different angle or light direction or something. So I have to think about it all.

Speaking of amazing rendering and lighting and paint application...
    Also, cant remember where I found it. But Mark Zug is shit hot.
    Love his paintings and you can see loads of his influences in his work, in a really cool - not ripping off way. Awesomez.
    1 This is from his first portfolio (WTF!)

+ Some drawings.

EDIT - I know my edits are becoming somehwhat cliche. But everytime I write the post attach the images and then post. By the time it comes up, Im looking at SOOOO many mistakes and problems, or things I dont like. Its amazing how oblivious I can be. Maybe I should stop painting at 1-3 in the morning...

EDIT2 - Gonna do more painting without using such details lines. I know thats good practice, but for the mean time I need to learn how to paint and sculpt form and shapes etc etc
    Last edited by PHATandy; August 4th, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    AAAAARRRRG god me too i still don't even fucking know how to barelly start a paiting, rendering then looks like a hidra ! each head you cut grow 2 on its place!

can't help you with that but i hope we both find a way to drop a bigass rock on that neckfulll bitch!

also liked that isometric stuff you did up there,even made me fell like doing the same

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HolyMane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,055 Posts
    i think your attempt at making a middle eastern-esque city was quite successful andy :3 sometimes simple designs are always the best. i love it!
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey there phatandy, i really like that latest enviroment work, maybe going for first halway grayscale and over that colouring could help with enviroment colouring? (that's what i do often) you can find example of this method on psg7 site conceptart process page, it is for character but it also works on enviroments.
    MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nettle_Mountain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 577 Posts
    the environments look realy great phatandy, great architecture.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Fetsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    nice environment up there andy - looks really good! I would suggest that perhaps you rarely find such cube like buildings. I think its great to have such vertical high walls (very middle-eastern) but then addition of little extensions and balconies etc would give the city a more lived-in feel
    Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Holymane Glad someone else is feelin ma pains. Its driving me crraazzzyy. Need to learn the secret of killing Hydras.

Teapo Thanks braa!

Nettle Yeah man, I should look that up. Arnie's tutorial page fucking blows my mind. Im gonna try some stuff I think.

Fetsch Cheers!!

Tom Yeah man, the cube thing sort of hit me half way, so I tried to vary it up later on but it didnt work. I knew what I wanted but in the early stages i laid it all out like cubes so adding it was hard. I like the idea of smaller buildings sort of stuck on the side with stair cases going to em, and like plazas on top of em. And lots of different sized buildings around, some connected in like L shapes and stuff. But obv that didnt come out tooo well. I wasnt thinking enough early on.

Some mores. Need to stop drawing and start painting more stuff like that. Its soooo easy for me to get sucked into doing all the drawing and thinking about stuff like design etc. I know I can think about design when Im painting so I just need to go and get into it. I have some ideas for buildings texture , and about buildings architectural shapes. So i gotta have go. Robogabo as this real awesome way of buildings with sort of transformed textured to give them a wierd early ps1 3d graphicy sort of feel.. Which i fucking Love (both the graphics style and robos style ). So gonna look into that.
    Anyways, blah blah, this is pretty boring sorry. I was trying to work around an inital shape and idea. But I could make the original shape that interesting, so I failed in one aspect. Oh well.
    Time for beds.

I think one day Im gonna go back and read all my posts where I come up with Ideas of stuff to do. And actually DO them. I feel like I come up with a lot of ideas for experimenting and learning and different practice ideas, but I dont do enough of em... Starting tomorrow, Im gonna try and do what I said tonight (not promising, I dont make promises so i dont break them).

*zoidberg woobwoobwoopwoob*
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

26. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Page 30 of 79 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast