Sketchbook: The PHATandy Tome of Daily Updates. - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u know I really hate u people that can draw....god...thinking in lines is so terrible....

HOW DO U DO IT!!!!!!!

no, NOT april fools.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texahol For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've got an awesome sketchbook dude!
    Thanks for the crits in mine too! They were right on!
    I love the fashion studies and the perspective/enviro stuff....that's something I'm dying to learn.

Ah thanks for the inspiration...you rock!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mc2mc2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah haaa, so many comments! Thanks so much guys!.

Nickeybeats- Thanks bro!

Crazy3dman- Thanks, and yeh thats what i aim to do. Ive never liked the idea of weaknesses so i try and spread my time equally, always working out my weakest areas. Well thats the theory anyway!

Teapo- Thank you very much, and it is good. Life drawing is awesome, but its even better when u get to put it into pratice with the clothed figure. And drawing funny pictures of your friends.

ThomasM- No problem and thank you, i left some feedback in your SB hope it helps

oren90- thank you! I should hope so, perspective is one of my stronger points (i think !!??)

Kingkostas- no problem buddy, i really enjoyed looking through your work, the pleasure was all mine.

Texahol- haha its just practice and reading lots and lots of comics. Im an Absolute sucker for some good pencil sketches or inked linework.

Mc2mc2- no problem buddy, and thanks loads. Means something when i love your SB so much. Your improvement rate is insane, your getting so goooood!

And tonights work - last of the perspective stuff for a teeenny while (a few days). But working in a little chunk like this was good, gave me just enough focus to improve a little each day. And working with perspective let me get some imagination on the go! But ill be back to some anatomy and figure stuff soon i think. Gonna look into character design stuff and pushing anatomy and silhouettes and all that. My characters are probably the worst part of my repertoire - i love drawing them, but i dont quite have the skills id like to put my designs and ideas out. Maybe mix it with some ID stuff, using this perspective work.

But im fairly happy with this. Most of the time with this stuff i just have a problem with my ideas, i find im drawing such mundane stuff. I have this crazy idea somewhere in my head, but i just cant figure it out or find it on the paper. But ill keep on going methinks!.

Thanks everyone.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great to see you enjoy the perspective studies and they look fantastic, keep on drawing

7. The Following User Says Thank You to oren90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, delicious perspective, love the studies my friend! Keep them up =)

Cheers, Darren

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Magic Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for visiting my sketchbook mate!

Hope your course is going well Love all the recent sketches, looks like you're hitting all the right areas with your studies and stuff, just keep it up as I'm sure you will!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice perspective studies bud. I should really do them as well. Anyways I really enjoy your interior perspective thumbs the most. Keep going (^-^d)

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oren90 - Thanks man
    Magic Man - thanks a lot, really appreciated.
    Alextooth - No problem dude. Yeh its going pretty well, absolutely love it too, im getting to the point where i can do what i want. Which is ace!
    Teapo -Cheers man. thats interesting because i feel i dont do enough interiors actually. Was planning on working on them some more.

My piece for today, im going out now so no more work. But im kiiind of happy with it, not really. Its just highlighting my issues of not really knowing how to approach my paintings from my imagination at all. I had the idea in my head and it all just flies out the window - i just cant ever seem to get it down probably. So i end up painting a bit randomly and just look for stuff in it - but that means i over complicate it too much - and all i fall back into areas i know i can do. Which is bad because im not pushing into painting areas of my weaknesses or interesting new ideas. So i do the usual thing in the usual style. blah blah.
    Realllly need to push the boat out from now on - this made me realize how stale my paintings can get.

Need to think much more on these. Thinking i might break it down back to basics. Look at small thumbnails and compositions - but considering colour and and actually ideas. I need to be able to have an overiding theme in pictures. As much as i love drawing landscapes and castles, i need to spread myself a little.

Ill be back for more soon!

Edit - man i am disappointed with this the more i look. Theres so much wrong, its dull, colours aren't great. Its so rough and well the composition is MEGGGA boring. Its like Im just not listening to anything Ive been learning. 3 days of perspective work and theres not an ounce of it in sight. Gotta try harder than this.

Last edited by PHATandy; April 2nd, 2010 at 01:46 PM.

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well it looks pretty good there but there are a few things that make it boring as you say and that is that there is no difference in values and tones between the background and foreground both are midtoned or light and are desaturated, also there is no focal point my eye goes to the building in the back but not for long.
    and you will definitly start to see the studies going into your drawing after you do them more, after all most people won't remember anything they studied 100% on the first time, you need to repeat it a few times so it will sink in your head, so keep at it
    oh and I'll be more than happy if you'll do a paintover to my work so I can learn what was wrong with it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to oren90 For This Useful Post:

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following

yo! loving the new perspective stuff! definitely going to give something in that sort of style a go

I think the last landscape is quite interesting too, although as you say itd definitely be cool if you could get a bit more influence of that perspective work into it!

Anyway, nice one
    Tom

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i also like it.It have a nice amount of atmospheric perspective and i like the brushstrokes.
    Maybe you could work a little more the reflection and maybe adding more contrast in the regions near the viewer.
    keep up the good work mate

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa your lines are awesome and ur colors get better and better really nice!keep up!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cameli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wicked wicked stuff! Last one's got very inviting colors. Totaly dig it!
    keep posting!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigermilk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oren90 - Yeh its like, now you point them out i can see all of it - and i know its stuff i should be recognising and doing, and i know i can do it. I just never seem to be able to do it all. These are things i understand, but i always omit through lack of concentration and i get sucked into other things and i rush about doing stuff about the painting that dont need the attention - when im getting my basics wrong. Ive still got lots to learn. Thanks.

Kingkostas - Cheers and thanks for the tips.
    Cameli and Tigermilk - Thanks a bunch guys!

So i had a super late night last night, lots of Super Smash Brothers and What not. Pretty much killed half of my day with sleep - and then feeling tired. Then i got sucked into Dragon Age. So i only ended up doing this bad day.
    Just a little character after watching Demolition Man last night - these badasses worse Mad Max style shit with shoulder pads from tires. What more cliches do you need for a post-apoc character.
    Been looking through character stuff like Markos old stuff as well, i still dont think hes ever been as good as he used to be, his old Degenesis stuff is still his best IMO. SOO much character and story. All this comic stuff just doesnt have any of that, apart from the redesigns he sneaks out every now and then.

Gonna work hard tomorrow... after i finish my 14th page of my essay for uni that is... Maybe gonna go back and look at some environment type work. Could do with working on some interiors. I dont do nearly enough of that stuff - more man made shit me thinks.

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NOOOO stop slacking Andy 3: that post epoc char is looking great my friend. Haha don't let the vid games get to your art

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

27. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice robot and wolf sketches! The life drawing with the aliens is my favorite. Thanks for sharing!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to soros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teapo - i know i know, but I LOOOVEEE GAMEESS. Seriously, theyre an annoyingly important part of my life. But i still love them anyways! And they do some times - but games is what makes me do art at the same time - the reason im doing what im doing is because of video games. They need some respect from me haha!

Soros - Cheers bro!

This is the pic that pretty much got me into concept art, and art seriously. Its dog from half life 2. I drew it out of a pc gamer magazine while i was in the south of France about 8 years ago. I drew a picture of master chief too on that day on the beach. If its still around, i might post it.

In a hurry and all, its easter - family and friends to see. Managed to do this for about an hour. Each of them about 5-10 mins. Just looking at colour as a use to separate areas and and perspective etc. Some good some bad- bottom right is the best. Has a much clearer composition.

Have a good easter all!

Last edited by PHATandy; April 4th, 2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Typos and picture was toooo biiiigg (2nd edit -typo in editing box)

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a sickness most artists encluding you, me and a lot of pros have the only way to kill it is from the root and hard work ie practice a lot.
    and now to the drawings, first if you're gonna work some more on the soldier and finish it, you must fix the proportions issues and you have quite some of them there starting with the right arm that is holding the weapon and to the legs that are too short and so on and so on
    regarding the enviro the only thing I can say is, they look really really good, you captured their essence very well there, and fast too
    so great job doing that
    and I know what you mean by practice timed getting killed by family time, we're having Passover here and the family dinners just keep coming

32. The Following User Says Thank You to oren90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oren90 - cheers. Proportions is something I'm always pretty bad at, they just get even worse when I'm very casual and just sketching. Thanks for the advice.

So, still working on this whole environments theme, bringing it back to basics really. Did 1 page of quick photostudies 5-10 mins each. Then another page - but this time using the image as just reference mainly for colour and theme - so rearranging stuff and making it different but keeping some of it the same (middle bottom is exactly same). Just using the colours to see how to use tone/colour to create a space. I feel like I'm learning a little from these especially just what sort of areas i should be using to make the colours feel life like. Some of the ref ones i definitely like, the sewer ones are good, mainly because of the photo - but the ideas transfer. its all about contrast, edges and powerful lighting defining shape.

I think next I'm gonna start looking into how i should be physically working next - what kind of brushwork to be using etc. How i should be making edges and stuff like that when working with different shapes and objects etc. Like foliage and buildings etc etc. I still find the way i approach things is kinda random, i could do with a bit more knowledge of how to approach certain things. Gonna work interiors too i think - too much landscape stuff going on.

Ramble ramble ramble, sorry.
    ART! -

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the two bottom right ones (lines 3 and 4) are a little lacking in impact, they don't have such color to 'em or the composition isn't that intresting but the rest look really good there I really liked the first from the left on the first and third lines

35. The Following User Says Thank You to oren90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loving the corridor one at the bottom and the two looking into those holes - atmospheric!

Tom

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow!
    you've been keeping up at a steady pace and pretty hard!
    juggling between painting drawing/painting/anatomy/enviroments/characters looks pretty hard, but it seems to me like you're managing just fine and learning tons!

btw, you should keep linking your daily inspiration as in your previous updates!

subscribed and rated!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oren and Thomas - Cheers guys!

Gnoll - Cheers dude, thanks for dropping by and just for you

THIS, THIS and THIS, all over my face - pretty much anything Robogabo does in colour (not saying is sketches arent good but ya know..). Seriously, apart from the fact that his rendering is sick - such a lovely display of using really hard brushes but building a sort of texture and feel to it still - his colour is proof that you can use really vibrant colours in a pretty realistic way (sometimes its not quite so realistic). Its just awesome - i saved EVERY single picture in his 5 year sketchbook - it was totally awesome.

Hopefully u saw my picture before looking at Robo's stuff - his stuff is just . Love it.
    And to mine, i think you can clearly see where im coming from this. Haven't looked at any of the refs since last night, but just thinking about light and shape. Kept it simple to start with and it was ok, but then i started losing the looseness, kinda sucked. And somehow even using ref as an idea - i managed to do something boring. Always seems more interesting in my head, i always produce the most boring version of my imagination. Think i might do another 30 min speedy now or something. Keep it small and go for interesting interesting interesting. Or take a break from enviros, maybe its dragging me down focusing on it too much.

On I go. Also - film grain, because everyone is doing it. Not actually sure if i like it.

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your dedication is really inspiring, man. So nice to see you really work hard and do all these studies, and it looks like you're improving with every update. Thanks for sharing those daily inspirations as well, RoboGabo is fucking awesome!

Keep up the good work man, will be really cool to see where you go with this kind of progression!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to PieMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique! (not the usual: "wow")

This isnt a comment from the most experienced of voices (understatement of the century) but I think its valid..

I love your enviro's but I have noticed that some are quite dominated by your mid-ground and distance: I'd like to see some bolder distinctions between saturation and value in the foreground and midground. - what say you!?

Tom

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

44. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Jockemon is offline On the corner pushin crayons Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got some great environments going on here! Keep up the good work!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Jockemon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice enviro you've got a great contrast there between the lights and darks, the robot surface is a bit rough though.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to oren90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zomg nice enviro. thumbs there Andy :3 I can tell you're hard at work, anyways I guess I can't argue with you about video games haha, I too am influenced by them :3

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

50. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey PHATandy! cheers for dropping a line in my sketchbook. love all these enviro studies your bangin out, that must really help your sense of color. and the perspective studies are great! very dynamic stuff!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

52. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, really dig your environments and perspective studies especially. Which reminds me I really need to work on that myself, lol. Keep them going!

54. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 27