Page 28 of 79 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 78 ... LastLast

Thread: The PHATandy Tome of Daily Updates.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,055 Posts
    great ones andy! your 15 min landscapes have a lot of potential but are they from imagination or photo studies? either way, they're looking damn good ^-^
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Staticpen Thanks!
    Artzealot Ive just finished playing it, and it just gets me more and more everytime I play it. They nailed the feeling of the environments SO good. The weather, mixed with the amazing music, with some of the stories and ideas behind is just perfect. You get this real feeling of desolation and emptiness not just in the environment. It all melds so nicely.
    Kungfoowiz Yeah with these studies, foreground contrast and saturation became a bit of a problem. I was looking at a lot of general colour schemes/areas - no details - which makes it very grey/unsaturated. Alot of the time - the adding of lots of little details and objects is what builds up the saturation and contrast. So I learned something .. tried to rectify it a little is this one.
    Also no worries about the critique, just hope you can understand it. Its something that takes a long time - its just something i thought you might need to bring to the forefront of your thinking a little.
    teapo Theyre actually studies from Red Dead Redemption - seems an odd place to study. But I find its just like studying another illustrator or something - Im looking at how they create these atmospheres and weathers, even if they arent not realistic. Theyre just artistic interpretations.

Go hang out at Robogabos Thread, it gets a little hidden away in the Exclusive SB section and just doesnt get the love it deserves. The mans a god.
    Another. Gonna do some drawing now and post it in the morning.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Hey bro, thank you, yeah, it is a pretty damning thing it is, I really should put more time into it, will give it some thought, thank you for that..

Latest enviro looks a little better, also be careful with making things too noisy, it could hide some mistakes sometimes, just a thought, not saying the work is poor. =)

I find I can't draw in the early morning, need to sleep then, speaking of which...

Have fun with your drawings! =)

Thanks
    331# update is great! Really nice character design, reminds me of Miyazaki's animations a bit. Also, nice lighting on the plants behind. I think there is a problem with the lighting on the legs (the white line in front of the left leg). Personally, i liked better the first more simple renderind, with some light changes here and there (like the light on the big thing on the head coming from the rod). Keep it up.

Thanks
    sweet colors on those last ones, very earth-like, me looooveess those colors!

Thanks
    looking good andy! i like the dude thats feeding the garden, i always have a soft spot for that sort of stuff- it reminds me of miyazaki or something/. keep up the hard work!

Thanks
    Kungfoowiz - and i know EXACTLY what you mean. Its like a little defence mechanism. When I cant do something, i think i make it a little rougher/looser to hide the problems in it.

knut - I appreciate the compliment. I suppose its good that Miyazaki's influence gets into my work. The mans a god. Cheers for the crit too.

Thanks Yor

Another Miyazaki comment! I feel bad even being mentioned in the same sentence as him. Thanks a lot though Rodrigo, nice to see you stopping by appreciate the compliments from you.

argghh. Another shit day. My art is getting to me. I feel like everyday Im getting close to some kind of 'crunch' time, but am I really doing anything thats gonna make it better. I think some times I do all these studies, and enjoy them, because it makes me THINK that Im getting. Ok so maybe I am, but that just doesnt matter if I cant fix my main problem. I always try and tell myself that Im in a drought, but Im not sure I really am. I just cant seem to CREATE. I cant sit down with a piece of paper and come up with something special. I find that most of the time I cant even sit down with a piece of paper and have fun. Its like all this time Ive just been dodging the bullet somehow but now it dawns on me. In a way, I think I would take back the quality of my work to give myself that spark. Id go back a years worth of skill to get it.... I think. Or maybe I wouldnt. Its like I need to lock myself in a room with no windows, No nothing, but pencils and paper - so I can teach my brain how to imagine again. Obviously Im speaking in hyperbole... but the point still stands. Its like my head is so filled up with everything else, maybe even real life stuff - that my proper deep down imagination cant come out. But then I think about when I first start drawing. I thought I had that spark, and lost it. But Im not sure I ever had it. I spend so long looking and thinking about art, and looking at real great art, that I just wanna create something great. But I feel no matter my skill level. Im not sure I could ever do it....

I think, literally. For the rest of the summer. Or atleast until I get bored, or I really desire to do something else. Im just gonna sketch. Some pencils and pens, and just draw. Maybe right too. Really start using my brain. Try and not use reference - but PUSH my brain to reference. Stop myself falling into the same traps. So much of my drawing is repetition. Half the time when my pencil hits the paper - Im just repeating strokes before - because I know theyll produce a shape or object. A face or body gesture. I wanna be able to think and visualise it. And then draw it.

If people have good ideas for exercises for this kind of stuff Im all ears. Also be prepared for maybe ALOT of crap stuff. I spend a lot of time getting frustrated and going crazy when im sketching. You guys can also give my ideas for really unique things to draw. Like very specific ideas, or time periods, or looks. So that I have to train my brain to visualize stuff. Hopefully this help me stop making all the mistakes that I know I make already. I can look at so much of my work and see what is wrong and what I dont like, But I dont seem to change my habit of it. And it stays bad. Maybe all this will allow me to work in the ideas of what I already know and should do. Really get all the studies I do to filter into my work. Instead of being some parrellel world.

Sorry for wall of text. I needed to rant, and put myself in the position to go on. Now I can see what I want to do. I think.

/dear diary

4 pages of boring I did today.
    More boring to come.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    nice updates really diggin those sketches
    have a good one
    -Jamie

Thanks
    Dude, don't worry about it so much, I know exaaaactly how you feel. you and I have the same problem of thinking too much and too hard about these sorts of things, and all it does is make one frustrated and/or depressed. Who cares if you can't find something unique or special right now? That's not why you started drawing, and that shouldn't be your focus, cause then youre overthinking it and will guaranteed come out contrived.
    Sketching helps of course, and as do studies, doing activities and challenging yourself, all of which you're doing, and doing right. If there is anything on top of that that I would highly recommend its experimenting MORE, try to find a different method of doing what you do, if you cant find a different subject or something like that. Hell, try some 3D, switch up mediums, when you do the same thing day-in and day-out you stagnate, no matter how good you get at that one thing.
    Im seeing some nice explorations in these sketches, some very familiar studies, and a few examples of trying far too hard.
    Set aside a new sketchbook and designate it for failure. Go to a coffee shop/pub with the most unwieldly tool you have or can make that can make a mark on paper and have some fun. Just find a way of putting pressure off of yourself to imrpove/make good art/be unique/be like miyazaki/otomo/whomever and you'll have fun with it again.
    Or at least that's how it works for me.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Dude, don't worry about it so much, I know exaaaactly how you feel. you and I have the same problem of thinking too much and too hard about these sorts of things, and all it does is make one frustrated and/or depressed. Who cares if you can't find something unique or special right now? That's not why you started drawing, and that shouldn't be your focus, cause then youre overthinking it and will guaranteed come out contrived.
    Sketching helps of course, and as do studies, doing activities and challenging yourself, all of which you're doing, and doing right. If there is anything on top of that that I would highly recommend its experimenting MORE, try to find a different method of doing what you do, if you cant find a different subject or something like that. Hell, try some 3D, switch up mediums, when you do the same thing day-in and day-out you stagnate, no matter how good you get at that one thing.
    Im seeing some nice explorations in these sketches, some very familiar studies, and a few examples of trying far too hard.
    Set aside a new sketchbook and designate it for failure. Go to a coffee shop/pub with the most unwieldly tool you have or can make that can make a mark on paper and have some fun. Just find a way of putting pressure off of yourself to imrpove/make good art/be unique/be like miyazaki/otomo/whomever and you'll have fun with it again.
    Or at least that's how it works for me.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think sir greensock has some good points but i think you should NEVER set aside a sketchbook or anything for failure, lol!! there's nothing wrong with messing things up so you can learn from it but i think if you are starting from the standpoint of "this drawing is either going to be a success or failure then already you are putting yourself in a hole- into 'precious' mode.

i think what might help is to draw from the standpoint of ' i am doing this because there is some quality about this subject that i really want to convey and because i know i'll enjoy doing it.' i think that can help, but everyone is different!

I spend a lot of time getting frustrated and going crazy when im sketching
    well i have a fwew things to say from personal experience and i think having been through a lot of it myself and having come out of it a stronger artist i think i should at least share some thoughts with you in case it might help (or not!!)

reflect on why you are sketching. is it for fun? is it for a future goal? sometimes i need to sketch something to study its qualities for a more finished drawing. or maybe its just to learn anatomy. It can be frustrating sometimes, but it shouldn't be frustrating "a lot" of the time.
    if you are feeling really negative about you art, then maybe try going deeper into that feeling and look at why there are those fears. i often find the negative feelings and fears i face to be irrational constructs. i have analysed a lot of my own negative chatter and found it to be silly a lot of the time, and i realised the root of it all is fear. i think the way out is to love what you do because it is a force that is creative. and i speak from personal experience., ive put myself through a lot of negative shit and periods of non-drawing so i am only talking about what has worked for myself.

as far as being unique. you cant contrive that, its like asking someone to be spontaneous, they cant because by asking them you have destroyed their chance to be spontaneous!! originality doesnt exist in my opinion, we are endlessly recycling ideas and themes and images in new and different ways, so try and put anything into your art that you love like books youve read, people you have met and loved or hated, music, flowers, dreams, and outof that combination im sure something unique will emerge and at the end of the day the shadow will always be there but i guess its justa a balancing act between that and the light too right?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rodrigo! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good points Rodrigo! Just wanted to note that by sketchbook for failure I didn't mean a sketchbook designed specifically to do awful work, as much as having a sketchbook that you dont show anyone and dont care what you put in it, which relieves the pressure of having to create a masterpiece on every page, and think more about experimenting and trying new things somewhere where mistakes dont matter so much. It's something thats helped me from time to time (especially when my main sketchbook is a moleskine so I sometimes worry about doing a shitty page on such expensive paper )
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    OmertA Glad you like em

About my diary post. Obviously it was early in the morning, but I wrote it because thats what I feel like. I know not all of it is true. But if Im writing it, its affecting me, so I gotta try and sort it. Above anything else - I just wanna loosen up some more and find myself in my sketching. Maybe not make anything unique but try and find a way for me to be creative and have fun when Im drawing and sketching, even if it does suck. Which is hard though, because literally minutes after finishing everything, I can tell everything I dont like about the picture.. but can never see how I want it to be.

Socks I totally see where you coming from bro, thanks for the good advice. I think the problem I have hits before a lot of that though - I dont really have a problem going crazy and loosening up. But I find i tread similar paths (maybe that an issue though) and dont get anywhere. I wanna try and free my mind a little more - maybe not so much what comes out on the paper. But its all good advice nontheless. Experimenting might help me loosen up some what too.

Rodrigo Thanks alot for your thoughts too dude. Appreciate them.
    Firstly - I think discovering what I want to do with my sketching is a big part of it. I need to potentially spend more time thinking about what I want to do with it - and then settle into it. Even if its trite and boring. I should maybe push it till I make it exciting.
    I think fear is a HUGE part of it - but I dont think its silly. All I ever do is judge my own work and want it to be better, and I dislike so much of it. I think I fear that Im not getting better and that Im not good enough. I think it stems from my position in the world. Im at Uni and im getting closer to the real world, Im worried I wont be good enough to get anywhere.
    Your last paragraph is poetic man, love it.

Well... yeah. Im still going, im definitely not stopping. Just trying to loosen up. ive jumped into a sketchbook for a while. Stop with the Printer paper...
    Full of problems and stuff I dont like, but then I like one of the sketches, see if you can guess.

brbrbrbrbrbbrrrrrr
    Edit - Man its AMAZING how you can look past some thing when your drawing it. Its like because your the one telling your hand to put down each stroke. Everything makes sense. Once you step back and really look, you realise what bullshit you put down. Or maybe its that the pictures look a little different when scanned it... but i doubt thats it.. haha. Man I gotta sleep or draw more...

Fucking drawing, How does that work?

Edit2 - One day Im gonna learn how to shut my mouth.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Page 28 of 79 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 78 ... LastLast