Page 27 of 68 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Wow.. the latest designs are superb. The tribal guy turned out well too. You should probably get some more rest though. Have fun. =)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    those iso drawings are sick. the line work for the city in the hills is begging to be colored over. hope you're working on that.

looking forward to more!
    -: [ sketchbook | sour.org ] :-

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sourgasm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kungfoo and Sourgasm
    Thanks very much, really appreciate it. I think I might look into colouring. Only problem is I need to get used to working without lines more. So working from heavy detailed stuff like that might not help me so much.

I have had a HUUGGE headache all day. So didnt wanna look at a screen (or if i did; it was monging out on the sofa watching Scarface..) , so just noodled this out the old fashioned way. Need sleep. As you can tell by the places where this gets real sloppy... I started off well and then lost it. Need to work bigger also, when it comes to doing details its just killing me working so small
    Kinda coincides with details, but I need to start understanding how to make stuff look interesting on a smaller scale, like what to put in the details. I like working with big shapes and design but dont know enough about the details, like all the little techy bits and pieces etc. Should probably do research more.

Peace.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,969 Posts
    yo andy it seems like we are both working to solve the same "problems" this period.
    Dont have a lot of time to comment but thnx for sharing your thoughts and helping me push my brain some more.
    I was inspired by mark zug this month
    lets keep up
    good night

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looks good Andy, you've been getting some really nice shapes down. Little shapes have been getting better too, I guess those are just a matter of studying reference with those sorta details to build up the vocabulary.
    The traditional stuff looks great, great line quality throughout. Don't worry so much about your colour application, you'll get it to come naturally through practice, just dont force it so much. You have a great understanding on form and structure, just gotta sit down and dick around with noodling with value and edges and shit.
    Keep it up duder!
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kostas Glad you like him! His stuff is pretty awesome. Thanks for stopping by as always really appreciate it.

Socks Building a 'vocabulary' is pretty much one of my biggest holes that I need to fill. I just know I could do some much more and think and come up with ideas so much easier if I had a better bank of ideas/details/objects etc etc. But sadly thats the thing that comes with time... and lots of it. So theres no rushing for that anytime soon

Something for today, like I said. Just trying to work and build around just brush shapes and stuff like that. A little bit of messing with edge/depth 'a la Gabo' and a little bit of halo style architecture. Once again, I think I learnt something here, especially using harder brushes and picking more tones instead of just blending it in (a habit I need to lose). blah blah blah.. picture =
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey that looks great, really nice values and atmosphere Andy! Do more like that! Really good edge play, especially in the cliffs and stuff, though I think the man-made shapes could be sharper in places, especially where they are in the light, Id say for some of those edges go super-sharp with lasso or path selections for extra contrast!
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SirGreenSock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey man great sketchbook, love the studies. Reminds me i need to be doing more of that. Your linework is really top notch!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Auspiciouspanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGreenSock View Post
    Hey that looks great, really nice values and atmosphere Andy! Do more like that! Really good edge play, especially in the cliffs and stuff, though I think the man-made shapes could be sharper in places, especially where they are in the light, Id say for some of those edges go super-sharp with lasso or path selections for extra contrast!
    Holy shit I KNEW I was forgetting something. I totally planned on trying to work with the lasso tool for some crazy sharp edges and odd shapes. DAMNIT.

I enjoyed this way of working, it felt quite natural which is good. Close to my normal way of working. Just gotta try more with the architectural shapes etc.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Firstly thanks for leaving an awesome comment on my SB man, really needed that

Second I really love that halo-style architecture enviro above, the contrast is awesome. Your ability to take the artistic or architectual style of another theme and experiment with it really blows me away. I was looking back through my sketchbook the other day and one of the first comments was something like "learning to "think" in 3D was one of the biggest things that helped me". I look at that some of these recent architectural posts and I really see what you mean.

BUT

One question: why is there a small christmas tree to the right of the structure? (on the level of the sort of walkway) lol
    Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Socks, Thanks a lot man, appreciate the comments. See above

Auspicious Panda thanks very much dude.

Tom Er, well basically. When i first looked at the picture. I cant see a christmas tree AT ALL. But when I put it on my second monitor which is brighter I can see what you see!! (my other monitor is brighter, this one has real high contrast). I think it was a pure accident. Its a mixture of brush strokes going missing in the black (to me) and then some texture spray landing on top it
    haha.
    Thanks for the compliments too bro.

Just some more. This time i started of with some real strong colours and some random shapes and started going. Its similar in theme though. I need to push to try and make sure then when Im being random and abstract I dont tend towards the same sort of shapes and themes. Like those sorts of rocks/hills, and that kind of architecture or something. I think Having an idea and drawing it before hand will help that, it will help my shitty perspective too, like the last one had as well.
    peace out.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Hey bro, learnt a lot from your thread so far, small details can be a terror to crack out, especially on some large buildings.

Really miss that Christmas tree, it's obvious in that bunker they liked to keep it around for once a year.

Latest study is ok, keep working on the value, details are improving, the more random (but not too random), the better. Have fun. =)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,969 Posts
    great work with these mate.It gives a robogabo feeling and i think what they miss is more sharpened/clear defined areas.
    the colors work very good.keep up the great work!!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    awesome updates, man. that last one, especially, is really evoking that gobo feel. in a good way !

i'm sure you'll have no trouble breaking yourself out of the "tech in the hills" vibe that you've been stuck on. there are two really simple ways to make it happen, though. the easiest is using brushes with an entirely different feel. since you're working with abstract shapes via the brush engine, the brushes themselves dictate the feel of the piece. if you've been using geometric shapes with simple spacing and no texture, use organic messy brushes with tons of shape dynamics and texture overlays applied. etc. the other method is to take a couple of your recent paintings and mash them. drop one on top of the other, flip it vertical, flip it horizontal, liquify it, distort and warp it, change the blending mode and erase into it- flatten and repeat. tons of shapes and ideas will just pop out at you.

anyway. like you need help. keep up the good work!
    -: [ sketchbook | sour.org ] :-

28. The Following User Says Thank You to sourgasm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    kungfoo Thanks very much buddy

kostas yeah i still need to work on getting all the good clear defined areas done. Its something i struggle across all areas. The way ive always painted it very loose, and I just cant seem to nail how to do nice rendered/tight areas.
    Cheers mate.

Sourgasm Thanks for the tips bro. When Im drawing I cant decide whether to go crazy and abstract to find something. Or try and work something out more structured from an idea in my head - although thats the hardest when I have an idea, but I end up bending it to something very similar and boring that I might have done before.

Just another little paint for tonight. Mucking around with some more ideas about this and that. Spent a long time trying to figure out some good colours for this one. Gotta go to sleep. Sorry for no chit chat
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Page 27 of 68 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast