Sketchbook: The PHATandy Tome of Daily Updates. - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome animation enviros! The lighting from the street is great.

And I disagree w/ SirGreenSock on the Mignola tower, because I definitely feel the Hellboy vibe from it. And definitely keep doing the hard brush stuff because IMO, it looks better than using the chalky stuff.

Sweet works! Subscribed...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddieee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Socks - ill be working on it tonight, so expect some more soooon!

Eddie - Yeh i know what you mean, but i still kinda like it. I think what im gonna do is just try and take a lot from it, and what i liked etc so i think i wouldnt necessarily keep the heavy use of Black, but take those high contrast ideas and how he uses them compositionally. i mean thats what i love about his work the most anyway, its how he uses the high contrast in other ways.

Life drawing today.
    We didnt have a model, so we were drawing people around this class. like volunteering to pose for 10-15 minutes etc, our tutor Gary did the 2 minute gestures at the beginning.

Really interested in James jeans life drawings at the moment

Attached Images Attached Images              
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh - apparently CA is a bit broken at the moment. So my pictures aren't showing up. Its not just my pictures.
    If it continues ill upload to photobucket or some such.

hope their back soon.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sort of speed painting for the night. About an hour and a bit on this one.
    Spent a long time on composing the image which was nice, but i get the feeling id love to be able just pull out a composition and a 'space' straight away. Instead i have to fumble around for ages drawing all kinds of odd shapes until something fits.
    The same applies to my painting. I find myself spending a lot of time making mistakes and covering covering etc etc, and reworking stuff. I need to make sure i just spend longer thinking about what brush to use, what size it needs to be, what colour and then where its gonna go. The same goes for building the painting and lighting as whole. Just use some forethought. It would probably make the painter look a little cleaner and nicer too.

So yeh - my messy speed. Used some architectural ref for window/door ideas etc. Everything else from imagination rly.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My book cover.... is sort of final.
    Although i get the feeling im gonna make a dozen more changes tonight and then tomorrow morning before i have to finish it by.
    As you can see theres been some radical changes.
    The colours have just been plain annoying. Its like trying to come up with an even set of 3 colours that work. all with white at the same time. The middle, the bottom and the background.

But i kinda like this. But well see how it goes. Text is place holder too. Also i need to try and take the Tom Scholes and Manu Malin out of it. Or keep it, but work it a bit more. But well see. Its been a good little experiment.

Bye for now

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im lovin it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WRappiii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WRappiii - Thanks alot buddy!

And because im insane. Even though i fare badly without sleep. I stayed up until now (3am) Working on these studies and a little doodling. oh well ive only gotta be up at like 9am *facepalm*

Kevin Chen studies cus hes so damn good at life drawing and anatomy.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah! hell yeah brother! that is some cool sketching, good line efficiency and I like the colour sketches you did. Proportions on the figures are good too.

Daz

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Magic Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot Magic Man, means a lot to me

After a 2 day hiatus, im back at home for the easter holidays. So im setting myself a sort of schedule. More like a daily to do list. 1 of which is to do one study a day, be it, photos, anatomy, perspective, you know etc etc. Then another piece of imaginative work or Uni work. And of course... the usual shit like daily exercise, job hunting, and essays

Did some Blade Runner lighting studies today. These are about 20-30 mins each.
    Didnt focus much on form/accuracy - just really looking at lighting and colour and atmosphere. Im trying to make sure im never JUST copying - even if the picture sucks. I wanna be really looking at the picture and understanding/learning some things.

Hopefully ill get something imaginative done by tonight

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some quick looking stuff tonight.
    Im not getting far with this stuff - theres lots of starting again and not getting very far, or being very happy. I need to really invest in something, start getting into designs i really i like. Im thinking im gonna start doing very fashion based stuff, costume design etc. Just take a normal looking person - maybe my own figure for the sake of it, and then really work with design and style. Start feeling for what i really like, create my own feeling to clothes and design (like sci fi or modern or wateva).

Thumbs and then a quick design. Didnt get very far.

Also - Im starting to use Tekkon Kinkreet as my go to film for suggesting animation people should watch. I was reminded how awesome it was earlier on - it also has an amazing sense of simplistic yet powerful character design (both the film and Taiyo Matsumoto's original manga).

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we go!!

2 pages of fashion studies. Just looking for anything unique and then drawing it just i remember it. Just looking for style and sense of design. Although the roughness of the lines is kinda cool.
    Also - my dads scanner at home, seems to be INFINITELY better than my one at University. The pictures come out a littl grey as usual, but theyre seem to be super smooth and they dont pick up any of the shitty little marks & paper grain. Makes for a smooth look to them, like the originals.

Then a speed paint for like an hour. Really didnt know where i was going, but it came out nice. I think im limiting my pallette too much, when im not intentially using a limited pallette. I need to branch out and look for a greater and more realistic range of colours. Although i do like the vibrancy.
    Need to think about architecture before hand. I tend to make it overly simple when theres no forethought.

And im ghost.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spent waaaayyy too long on this. for what ive done. Maybe 2-3 hours.

To start with i was just getting to intense too fast and making mistakes. Spending loads of time trying to figure out tonal values, since i want the armor to look like it is white/grey, not its just lit up alot if that makes sense. I love clean looking like 'matte' finish white armor stuff, so i thought id try some. Found some cool pics of russian experiment planes for ref.

I think i might do more on this, add some subtle colour or something (its pure greyscale right now). maybe a little blues and greens or something into the shadows. i seem to be learning from this one though - pushing myself to spend longer than 2 hours on a picture, and putting time into rendering. I just need to perfect that tho - not get render heavy too quickly.

This is one of the mental looking russian planes i was looking at. Its a water plane, so it takes off from the water. And has the ability to fire Ballistic missiles from itself, mid-flight. Its mental. Apparently commisioned by an American-Russian weapons development or some such. crazy.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not having a good day really.
    I feel like the way i paint stuff naturally is totally lacking in precision and detail so it works for landscapes and people to a certain extent - but for techy stuff it becomes a pain in the ass. And i really dont wanna be just a render-monkey spending hours rendering so then it looks right. I wanna figure out what rly makes it look like it is and then transfer that to the way i work. Gonna work on my black and white one more tomorrow. And do more studies of this kinda stuff - cus its what i love to draw - but find so very hard to paint.
    I also need to experiment in mixing those two - my drawing and painting. I love doing them both - but considering my drawing is aaalll about lines and my painting is about shape and form - its tough to connect the two. Hopefully i can craft something between the 2.

My shitty 45 minute study or something. Wasted too much time today. More tomorrow! I promise!

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start, you have a nice feel for colour and your studies are pretty good.
    I'm liking post # 42 kinda reminds me of something from district 9.

Keep posting.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kambei Shimada For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great anatomy studies, and enviro's, sweet, keep going!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinBeckett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook Andrew!!
    Really nice work on the studies and the illustrations. Really nice quality to the linework in the 3rd image in post #32. I don't really have much to offer in the line of constructive criticism other than to suggest that you keep an eye on facial proportions.
    Other than that great work and thanks for that ekranoplane link too!!

Looking forward to seeing more from you!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MacTire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kambei - Thanks and your probably right, i wasn't thinking about it at all - but i saw it only a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it, the design was amazing. It probably had a little subconscious input

Justin - Hey justin thanks a lot man.

MacTire - Thanks very much dude, hope you come back again

So tonight.
    I did a page of animal studies (wolves, because theyre shit-hot if ure askin) - havent scanned em yet. Tried to something imaginative, got no where, dont ask why, but about 90% i have SUPREME mental block. I think i have a borderline 'phobia' of drawing stuff thats boring or unoriginal - so i end up falling at the first hurdle A LOT. empty sheets of white paper....
    SO i got a big A3 sheet of paper, and just went mental, reaally tried to loosen up, it worked, if i can find a camera, or half-scan it ill post it tomorrow.
    Then i did this in photoshop to finish up. Did some thicker lined stuff underneath which im not sure if i acutally like more, but this is more finished for sure. I lose a lot when i do linework in photoshop - or anywhere. I need to work on keeping line quality in working the details

I could also do with narrowing down with some actual style/approach to drawing - but again, thats another story.

Time to play some Chrono Trigger before bed!!!

Edit - PS. my anatomy is totally whack, thats what happens when i loosen up in the frustrated loosened way.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very Good Sketchbook dude, the improvement is very much noticeable. I would say try to learn how to paint from life, in order to understand hard edges and soft edges, good work sir.

Look, Iam diet drama, want to spend tha night dont bring pajamas, man there's so much heat beneath clothes, you see me !

JesArt Sketchbook, go have a gander..

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110233

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesart - Thanks a lot man Yeh painting from life is definitely something i need to do more. Might see if i can get some laptop-tablet configuration going so i can digi paint outside.

Sorry for the no-show yesterday, i seemed to just not get ANYTHING done, and i had a super lazy day. I started this painting, but barely (>20mins).
    Anyways, i finished it today + those wolf studies from t'other day.

Painting is pretty ok - all from imagination, clearly trying to use what i was employing in the blade runner studies. Obviously thinking about atmosphere and details. But i think i should have put way more into the composition - im still to eager to draw what comes to my mind with the brush in hand (so to speak) and just go. But this leads to issues. The blade runner studies look good to a certain extent because there not cluttered, they're clearly laid out, they have a simple yet strong composition and the details, are just details - they're not hogging the image.
    I could go on and on - but i think im learning. My brush still needs work to - need to be more considerate so that my edges dont get confused and shape/form is applicable to the brush i use.

Im feeling lazy so im gonna try and work hard tomorrow. Maybe some anatomy.

Found these amazing Michael W. Kaluta pictures about the old film metropolis - love the noire and art deco feeling.
    This is totally awesome

Last edited by PHATandy; March 28th, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just working on some anatomy tonight. Might try and do another anatomy painting before bed. But well see.

Some MMA studies - because all the cool kids are doing it.
    Some 30 second pose maniacs - i think doing the mma studies tightened me up - made me approach gestures in totally the wrong way Doh!
    Then 1-2 min gestures from some interesting poses i found on posemaniacs. Just lookin for interesting shapes and trying to capture the feel of it.

The MMA stuff i kinda like - but it poo pood my gestures. Might try the opposite tomorrow. Start with gestures to free up. Maybe do hands and feet or sumit.

kablammo!

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, thanks for dropping by my book. Those latest pose maniac studies are looking good, and I really like how you got to draw people at life drawing rather then a model! Pretty cool. Keep drawing!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinBeckett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin, thanks man! But yeh, drawing models from life - is amazing and is a complete must. Nothing will help your anatomy more than drawing from life. And its loads of fun, its a totally new challenge in terms of drawing people. If you've never drawn from life, i highly recommend looking for some life drawing classes where you can get access to a model - its a MUST in my opinion. Its helped me sooo much over the year.

Anyways - did a 45 min study this afternoon then this evening was working on some perspective stuff. I think i have a good grasp on perspective - but its something i definitely wanna know how to do amazing. When you see some pictures set up in perfect perspective with loads of crazy shit happening - the illustration sort of takes on new ground. And especially for concept work, being bad at perspective can hinder your development of anything techy/sci fi etc.

It could all do with some cleaning up, but id definitely approach them differently. You definitely need some insight before hand, and you need to pull out big interesting shapes and composition. its not easy to just push and pull stuff around when its all rigid/grid-ized.

Been looking at all things Sci-fi like Robogabo (seriously, his pictures still make me wanna die, his colour work is miiiinnddblloooowiiiingg).
    And then a little while ago i found this old school guy John Berkey. His pictures speak for themselves. Got me pumped for sci fi shiz

WOOOOSSHH!

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTandyy

POW! told you i would drop by!

firstly i would like to congratulate you on a top rate sketchbook, and i must say your posting is keeping me posting. SO DUN STOP!

secondly...Your poses are awesome dude, I really like how loose but proportionate they are, and how you've done it in minimum lines. something i am very envy of. Keep at it!

your enviro refs are looking pretty damn good too ( if this is of any help to you, it might give you some fresh inspiration for crazy architecture, as well as other stuffle )
    one thing if I may addd, i'd love to see you push the atmosphere a bit more in your enviros, like the hills in your last colour image feel like they kinda end in the mid ground, bit of water vapour in that atmosphere, would soften it a lil. just something i've noticed

another thing I think which might be worth keeping an eye out for, would be a focal area, in a lot of your enviros, everywhere seems pretty similarly rendered, your roboto/mech in Post 42 looks reallly dynamic, where you have the tight details and the suggestive ground areas and it really works at making the image more interesting. Just try an keep those energetic loose or suggestive marks in and the tight details only where you need them and try not to worry about rendering it all with little round, big round wants to be loved too!

I hope that didn't sound like a rant, because your images are shit hot mate. POST MORE! i need you to keep me on my toes.

much love!

"Observation, not old age brings wisdom" - Pubilius Syrus

Sketchbook?

blogggg

website

33. The Following User Says Thank You to kip.kun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha that didnt sound like a rant at all mate,
    Atmosphere and focal point are definitely something i need to look into. Lately i find i get so sucked into studies that all im doing and just copying. I wanna do studies but really push my own painting onto it, and work with enhancing the lighting and effects and atmosphere of the piece. Make it look awesome (only if need be!). Only just flicked through that link, and it looks amazing - will investigate further. cheers!

My late night work for today (or should i say tomorrow... its 2:30....gotta stop doing this).
    Just pushing the perspective some more. Probably shouldnt have spent so long on it - need to spend more time thinking about how to assemble a composition and interesting structures in perspective. And well, im finding i do alot of rather boring shapes than once ive started i have to work backward to work around all the boring box shapes i did. But hey, im getting somewhere i think.
    I love do environments, so expect to see more.
    My pictar - then the mess of lines it came from, there should probably be more of them, shows i cut corners.

good night.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

35. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,667 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, great work in here! loveing your lines, the penwork is especially nice! the color pieces are good too, keep posting!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

37. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow PHATandy! I'm really not in any position to critique your work. I just wanted to say how much I really like your SB. The range of work your doing is impressive. So often you see people who do figurative work exclusively or mainly enviros. You seem equally comfortable across the board.

Please stop by my new Anatomy Sketchbook and critique the hell out of it.

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."- Mario Andretti

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

39. The Following User Says Thank You to crazy3dman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey PHATandy! Thank you for stopping by my sketchbook and dropping me some helpful words :3. Your sketchbook is great and I can see the effort you put into your studies. Your line quality is great both digitallly/traditionally. Hehe that's a great idea that your tutor had for your life drawing session, good improv. without the model (^-^d) Keep it up my friend, i'll be watching your sb.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

41. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Much love!

Hey just wanted to say this is such an inspiring thread for me!

Particularly liking the enviro scenes but to be honest its all great!

Keep up the good work, you've inspired me to get some stuff to post by tonight!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the perspective study is looking awasome man keep it up

45. The Following User Says Thank You to oren90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,969 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hello mate.Really great lines and characters you have.I also loved these enviro works you did, and thnx for the construction of the enviro images
    Great sketchbook, keep up the good work

47. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9