Art: The New Guy...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The New Guy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The New Guy...

Hello!

I just joined this forum in hopes of furthering my own knowledge, education and networking to the concept art community.

My background is in architecture (graduation in 2003) and I have longed to learn more about concept art, matte painting and digital illustration. I have loved to draw since I was a kid, like I am sure most here are the same way, and through the years of pushing out "photoreal" renderings without any real feeling, I see that I really want to go back to what drove me as a younger person. I can see that digital art is an avenue to develop a unique style that stands out from the crowd.

That being said, I will admit that I am really unprepared and a little lost in trying to find a proper way to learn digital illustration and concept art. I am a whiz at SketchUp, can throw things into Max and render out some decent images, but I want to learn how to paint on top of those images to really bring out the mood, color and emotion that bad 3d renders seem to have.

I have purchased a Wacom tablet and have SketchUp at my disposal, but I want to build a foundation with projects that I can learn step-by-step from. I am not so niave to think that i can learn it all in weeks or months, I just really want to go after the elusiveness of finding my own way.

Is there anyone out there that can suggest a way for a complete beginner to start? From compositing to painting over an image to make it look like a digital illustration, I wanted to ask before I get lost in the labyrinth of such a wonderfully complex and exciting journey.

Thank you for any help, and I would gladly collaborate with other artists in need of some SketchUp modelling in exchange of techniques and enlightenment.

Cheers!
    Eric

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

help

The best way to go might be to check out some of the downloads at Massive Black. They're even on sale right now. They cover a pretty broad range of techniques and styles. I'd say anyone looking for what you are should probably give them a try.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalProselyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I will definitely check out Massive Black. Kemp seems to have the type of workflow I would like to pursue!

Awesome! Any more advice?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.