Is this right...?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Is this right...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is this right...?

GOD I hope I'm posting this in the right place. And the right way. If I'm not, please kindly direct me to the right place (i.e. tell me exactly what to do).

Hi thar, new to Concept Art and I am currently unbecomingly excited and flustered at the same time. So many talented people!

Anyways, I suppose I'm here to be critiqued. I suck eggs photoshop, so I'm not going anywhere near that; this is oil on woodblock, and I feel like I'm not going anywhere with it. It doesn't look or feel finished, but on the other hand, I'm not sure what to do to finish it.

This is meant to be one in a series of oils on woodblock: I have another one that equally stuck, but I went and photographed it before it dried, so...

This is my second attempt at oil, and ANY and ALL tips on how to use this medium is welcomed. Needed. Begged for.

D: Sorry the picture is so big! The file from the photo is huge, and I'm don't know how to make it any smaller! Take it from farther away, mebbe?

Thank You!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Open the image file with Photoshop or an image viewing program like IrfanView, and choose the image size or resize option. Then make the longer side about 800 or 900 pixels, and save it as a new file. Then post that.

As to the image itself, I can't really make a lot of sense out of it. All I'm seeing is a fairly random mass of what I assume are feathers. There's not much actual wing structure I can make out, and a lot of the feathers don't really read as feathers very well. Not to mention, There's not much contrast or colour variation, so I can't really find a focal point to speak of. So I can't really advise you on where to go since I'm not really sure where you are.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw, crap. I actually was afraid of that. Most of the time, my value range turns out fairly small; I can't seem to push the lights or darks enough (mostly the lights). I think this sort of thing happens in color, because I'm a bit better about when drawing still lifes. Practice more at color, I suppose...

On another note, your comment does tell me something (important, very much appreciated things). From what I can see and read, the options I'm facing at this point are to create a focal point and color contrasts or to scrap it and try again.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.