WIP- Really need feedback!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP- Really need feedback!

Wow. It's been awhile since I've posted here.
    Here's a piece I'm pretty focused on, but I've really hit a roadblock with the anatomy and the perspective. I feel like I've got the body and the right leg sorted out, but the left leg just looks like a lump of meat to me, and I can't draw the bottoms of feet to save my life.

I removed the arms for the moment, but I'll add them in once I've got the rest down. And sorry about the trippy colors!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OspreySoul; February 27th, 2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Managing Attachments
    Sketchbook

deviantART

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey osprey,

this looks great so far. Interesting pose with good options for perspective and overlap.whenever I get stuck with a pose, I either go back to my anatomy studies to really lock in the shapes from all angles, or get a friend to pose for me and I shoot some ref.

Lately I've been drawing all my hands from ref, but tonight I've whipped out my loomis books to study hands from imagination. Don't lose steam, we're all learnng together!

Looking forward to seeing the final.

sketchbook

Melb gra-FIGHT CLUB is on!
    Details here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the right-most foot ( her left?) seems off in perspective, her neck seems a bit too long and too high on the ribcage, her breasts are a bit uneven, torso-s a tad long, but overall a good start. Nice knee : D

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockman! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I tried to keep her upper half 4 1/3 heads, like Loomis says, but I'll double check on the neck. I had her shoulders slanted before and her breasts weren't, so I added a slant there, but I can fix that, too. How much more should her torso be shortened?

Sketchbook

deviantART

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kay, here's an update, taking everyone's advice into consideration.
    Neck shortened a bit, worked on her right foot, tried to shorten her torso, and straightened her breasts out a bit.

Last edited by OspreySoul; February 27th, 2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Image too small
    Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Her left leg (On HER left) still looks pretty short.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kay. I made her leg longer and rotated it a bit. Here's the original, a reflection, and the original sketch underneath.

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, it bugs me a bit less, now. I think a good reference would be useful, if you don't have one on hand already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think it could still be longer? And I'm unsuccessful in finding any references with the right angle and the right pose...

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kay, messed with her left leg a bit more, fixed up her arm and added the left arm and the other subject of the picture.
    Critique anything and everything!

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started simple inking. I also tweaked the left leg and foot a bit more- I hope it shows!

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I started adding in the facial features and hair, but I'm kind of concerned... Is that right hand too big? Head too small? I think it's the latter, because I did the proportions using the 8 head measure. That right leg looks a bit fat, too, but I'm really not sure how to fix it.

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks ok to me. But the kid's limbs look short, especially the legs. Plus, I'm not even sure where they're sitting in relation to the woman.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She's supposed to be kneeling right next to the woman, but I guess that didn't work. I'm really not sure what to do with her.

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If he's kneeling right next to her, then currently her left leg is jabbing him right in the stomach...actually it's going right through his body. Right now it looks like he's floating in the air in front of her.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RyerOrdStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drat. I really wanted to have the little girl right next to her, but I guess I don't have the best grip on perspective to pull that off. Should I try moving her more to the right? I'm really not sure what to do with her pose now.

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now, don't take my word for it, but I would actually say the head is a bit too small. I'd try scaling it up to see if it looks better that way.

By the way, nice progress. I see the difficulty with the leg... If you can't find a sufficient reference, perhaps you can just look at yourself in the mirror and draw that?

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'nother update. I wanted the younger girl to still be kneeling on the other's left side, so I changed the leg's position (blue). I'm not too focused on the young girl at the moment.
    Also, I included some references from Getty Images for her left leg/foot.

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew! First off, super sorry about the long wait between updates. I accidentally left my flash drive containing the picture at home and had to wait some time 'til I could get it back.
    I completely changed the girl's left leg and fine tuned pretty much everything else. I'm satisfied with the lines as they are now, but I'll go back and tweak them once everything else is finalized (so just ignore the rough, placeholder hair for now).

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The right of her collar looks to be connected in a sort of weird way, overlapping with her neck. The lines running down the vest are also not accounting for the forms; you've drawn them straight down, when they would be curving due to the shape of the breast, abdomen, and any folds in the cloth. Also watch out for the tangent between the line on her right thigh and the end of her shorts on the other leg.

Cool pose and situation, though. I would have suggested plotting out both subjects so their poses account for each other, but it's a bit late in the process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not sure if her eyes feel to close together, or her pupils are aimed as if she is trying to look at her own forehead, or a combination of those two things, but she is reading as slightly mentally retarded right now... and I don't think that is the intent.

Her head feel really small compared to the rest of her body and she doesn't seem to have a left shoulder.

You might also want to try using darker colors for the limbs that are in front and lighter colors for the ones that are away, because that will read specially better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her arms feel a bit short too when compared to her torso.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tangleworm- Which right? Hers or ours? I'm a bit confused as to what you mean, but if you could zoom in and redline it, I'd be enormously grateful. D'oh! I'll fix the vest and that pesky tangent right away (don't know how I miss that one...)
    Bai Fan- Heheh, her eyes are supposed to be focused on something that will take up mostly the whole right foreground, but if they still look off, I'll tinker with 'em. I'm not really sure how to fix the left shoulder issue, though. I understand that it's off, but I'm drawing a blank. Would you be willing to redline? And as for the shortness of her arms, I was trying a little foreshortening on both. Does that amend the problem, even a little?

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not really. :| Good try though.

Put your arms down your sides and feel where your elbows. Looking back over it, I think everything would be in better proportion if you just took off about half a foot in her midsection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Better? I even tried to fix the folds on her vest. I'm just worried that the legs look too long, now...

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revisited the little girl, Sherry. Readjusted her pose so that she wasn't simply floating in space, but a bit more grounded in the environment.

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More progress! Hm. Not sure about the anatomy on the younger girl... Any suggestions?

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kay, so I'm working on the final lines, and I'm pretty satisfied with the anatomy. Is there anything that jumps out as blatantly wrong?

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Few personal observations for you:
    - both characters' eyes look too close together right now
    - lady's head still looks a bit small, maybe just increase cranium/hair size some?
    - I think both of the small leg lines right above each boot need to be pulled in some to make her lower legs less stumpy looking
    - lady's feet don't quite look right, I think toes should come out a bit further, also considering left and right look exactly the same. recommend looking at reference.
    - sitting posture on the lady is not convincing to me. I'd flatten her butt out some due to gravity
    - lady's posture seems a bit awkward or inappropriate to me. If she is cradling the child, I would expect upper body to be more concave than the arched back rigid posture she has now
    - mood-wise (I'm taking your intent to be a sense of desperation and tense danger), I might change her head to face towards her left with her gaze likewise, or perhaps head tilted up slightly with her eyes looking up. Also, perhaps have the child being gripped closer to the lady and the lady's grasp on the child more intense, less relaxed.
    - lady's left hand looks too small
    - I would redo the child's eyes/brow to follow the perspective curve more. Right now, it looks too flat for the angle

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.