Filling lines etc

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Filling lines etc

Hi, Im pretty new here (signed up 10 feb 2004) and i am already learning alot. The big problem for me is that im really bad at colouring my drawings in Painter (version 8.1 Windows) So i thought some of you might have some starting tips for me to color my drawings. This one i drew on a normal paper, as you can see its not finished but i scanned it anyway to learn painter faster.

Filling lines etc

And this is my first try to color it, well it aint really anything to see just trying to get the righr colours to the picture.

Filling lines etc

I dont have any idea how to make the lines better or real shading etc. Is it better to just do the same picture on the computer or is there anyway to fill it?

Thanks. sorry if u think im posting shit ^^;;

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

If you want to use your sketch lines but need to make them cleaner and sharper, without actually redrawing them in Painter, try this:

1. Open your scan in Painter.

2. Use Effects > Tonal Control > Brightness/Contrast and move the Contrast slider to the right about 1/3 the distance from the middle to the right end (or until it looks as clean and sharp as you can get it).

3. In the Brush Selector, choose the Erasers category and from the brush variant list, choose the Bleach variant.

4. Click the M key to activate the Magnifier tool and drag a window around the lower left quadrant of the image, to zoom in approximately 240% (or whatever gives you a close enough view).

5. Begin erasing stray pixels and smudges, using the [ key to make the brush Size smaller to erase in tight areas inside and around the sketch, and using the ] key to make the brush Size larger so you can erase larger areas outside of the sketch more quickly.

6. In the lower left corner of the image window, click the Navigator icon (binoculars) to see a pop up view of the entire image. Click and drag the red rectangle to the area next to the area you just cleaned up. That will make that area display in the image window while you're still zoomed in. To close the pop up view, click anywhere in the main image window.

7. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 until you've cleaned up the entire image.

8. In the Tools palette, double click the Magnifier icon to return the image to 100% zoom.

9. Save your cleaned up sketch as a Painter RIFF with a new file name. For instance, "cleaned_sketch.rif"

10. To keep your sketch above the coloring, you can do either of the following (test both methods to see which one you like best.. one or the other may work better, depending on the sketch):

a.) Use Select > All (or Ctrl/Command+A) to select the entire Canvas, then click inside the selection with the Layer Adjuster tool (F key) to lift the sketch to a Layer, then change the Layer's Composite Method to Gel. This will make the sketch Layer's white background appear to be transparent so you can see through it to add color on other Layers below, or on the Canvas.

b.) Use Select > Auto Select, Using: Image Luminance, create a New Layer on which the selection will be active, choose black as your Primary Color (front color square), and use Ctrl/Command+F Using: Current Color. Now your black sketch (and grey, depending on how it was drawn) is on a Layer with a transparent background.

11. In the Layers list, double click the Layer and rename it, for instance, "Sketch Layer".

12. To ensure your Sketch Layer won't move or be affected in any way while you do the coloring, highlight it in the Layers list and click the lock icon at the top of the Layers palette.

13. Begin coloring on either the Canvas or a New Layer, or multiple New Layers, that you click and drag down the Layers list so they're below your Sketch Layer.

14. To keep things organized, double click each Layer and rename it appropriately. For instance one might be used to color hair so you could rename it "Hair Layer", another might be used to color the weapon so you could name it "Weapon Layer", etc.

15. When you're not working on individual Layers, highlight them and click the Lock icon at the top of the Layers palette, and remember to click the Lock icon again if you want to continue painting on them.

Other experts will have to give you tips on coloring and shading.

Hope this helps a little.

Have fun!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.