face help?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: face help?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

face help?

so this is a pretty old piece. im going back into it and reworking it.

ive been working on her face for a while but it still is messed up. help please?

Name:  WIP.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  137.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say the major area you want to work on is the nose/mouth area. The nose dips too low. I always try to draw with a model, or refrence handy. These images should help a little:

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey.I like the value range used and the babies face a lot!
    I think the reason it looks off is the drawing. I traced the outlines to show you:

The background effect mess up the head dimensions, making it look too long. I also think that the face is too small on the head. The eyes should be higher, which would affect your measurements.
    I also think you have worked on parts of it a lot more than others (that is, brought it to a more finished standard). This is especially true for the eye and mouth.
    Anyway, I think with a bit of cutting and resizing, you could improve this dramatically. Also, pay more attention to composition, as the background elements interfere!
    Keep at it

EDIT: I drew the chin too large for some odd reason. I can't remember why I did that, but I'm sure there was a reason haha. But my points are still valid I think.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your edges in a lot of areas are too soft. It's very distracting.

The right eye on the female is missing, and even though it is in shadow it's so dark that the contrast draws too much attention, it's kinda like a hole in her face.

the baby's head is too small for the body, baby proportions can be tricky so use a reference, but baby heads are big in comparison to their bodies.

i do like a lot of the painting and the expression captures the essence of the piece. It's like she's running from a dark place to a lighter place. very literal and direct color composition. i like it, otherwise i wouldn't comment.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to trevissg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rainblade-so your saying that the nose is too long? i can see that. thanks for the refs, it was a pain in the ass to find the same head position

FraserMcT-this helped alot, ill definitely re-work her facial proportions

trevissg- i know i tried to sharpen up alot of edges on here. which ones specifically are too soft? this isnt the whole image, its just the part that i am focusing on atm, but i appreciate the kind words

ill post the whole image for kicks with an update tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    worked on the face some more. still havent messade with the proportions yet. added an eye.

the refs really helped Rainblade

Views: 171
Size:  130.9 KB

here is the whole image:

Name:  WIP2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  306.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hair is really throwing me off becuase it's falling in chunks, and real hair doesn't do that. My eye just keeps getting stuck on it, even though I know it's kind of a minor thing. Definite improvement in the face though!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your proportions are off, the face is way too small for the body. the baby (?) also looks alittle old. for compositional purposes i think it would help if you tilted the camera alittle so it's not so verticale.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jrr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say start working out the planes of her face a little more, check that the thighs are wide enought at the hips, add some dimension to the knee, and get some nice darks in the metalic components of her. I did a quick sketchup which may help:

Attached Images Attached Images  

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It feels to me like her head has a weird shape to it (oblong), as seen through the jaw line. Reference always makes better when it comes to proportions. Also be sure not to let your skin tone get too muddy.

It is coming along,every post there is improvement.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to K-san For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember this hehe. I think the hood throws it off bigtime. If it wasnt so giant and daunting then maybe it would feel more balanced. I dont think the character trying to find her is very scary. Hes just as inquisitive as she is. Try to think about the lord of the rings, you have those dead kings. I think they are the wrathes or something. Now they are scary. Try to go for that feeling maybe. Then I would feel her fear more.

Also shes got a very bright light hitting her on the arm but none of that light is hitting the tree OR bouncing off her to his the tree.

Its nice to see your still working at it!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stag-thanks ill work on it!

jrr- i always thought the baby looked like a old man...but yeah, ill definately double check my proportions

Rainblade-mad help man! this will definitely help

K-san-yeah i was worried the shadows were getting alittle too muddy. thanks!

Sunny- i feel like you told me to shrink the hood last time..perhaps i didnt listen to ytou for some reason? haha. well ill definitely make it smaller this time. The character looking for her is the devil, has this is is portraying the tale "Girl with no Hands" from the brother grimms. but yeah, i like the feeling you are talking about.

sorry, this:"none of that light is hitting the tree OR bouncing off her to his the tree" didnt really make sense to me. can you clarify?

I shall have an update tonight. you guys are awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The shadows cast on her hood are clear enough that it looks like I'm looking through her hood to some other dimension. The shadow on her arm work, I think. The brightness on both might be up a bit too high.

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the hand holding the child doesn't feel like a hand.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, i fixed the head size, alittle bit of the baby's face, hood, shadows, girls face, and more which i cant recall. i really want to get a more creepy vibe like sunny requested, but i wraiths are clothed and i want to have the iconic devil there. any ideas?

any who, this needs to be printed tomorrow, somy time is running to an end, but im really happy with the changes so far

Views: 94
Size:  310.1 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.