IDW #119: Tactical Bomber

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IDW #119: Tactical Bomber

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #119: Tactical Bomber

Topic: Tactical Bomber

Background: Since we had the AA-artillery round a while ago, I figured we might want to give it's main adversary a try. There are a few things that should be noted though.

First of all, tactical bombing is something else than the carpet bombing that has been extensively deployed during WW II by both the Alies and Axis forces, and in wars like Vietnam. Tactical bombing aims to be as effective as possible with the smallest amount of collateral. Smart bombs, guided missiles and improved air-to-ground radar and on-board electronic equipment made carpet bombing obsolete and expensive. Keep that in mind when designing your bomber.

Secondly, we're talking about the near-future. No flying airballoons or spacecrafts in this round, think 10-40 years from now (possibly up to a 100 years).

Feel free to add aspects like Navy/Army/Airforce roles for your aircraft, or come up with specific bombs or tasks your bomber is supposed to handle.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw near-future Tactical Bomber!
    2. Keep it realistic!
    3. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Tuesday, March 2

Name:  IDW Logo - New Round.JPG
Views: 1252
Size:  7.9 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; February 24th, 2010 at 01:23 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    In a box ruled by the evil wacom overlord
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay been a while since I had a go but hopefully will get a piece in on time

here is a quick page full of bombers etc just to get some inspiration from!

happy IDWing

Name:  inspiration page.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  438.1 KB

SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----
    : Share your desktops and wallpapers :

"THE HOLES ARE FOR MY EYES"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bagg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did I get you right?

You don't want us to draw a strategic bomber in classical way doing massiv destruction deep in enemy territory but something like an commando unit up in the air?
    Something that fits the Role of the F-117, and not the role of the B-2?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic but I find theres quite alot of restrains, atleast for me, it feels like the only way is to "future up" an already existing model of a strategic bomber since fantasy etc is excluded (I want ballons!).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am so in.

I was thinking this would be unmanned, like the bastard offspring of a Predator drone and a B-2 bomber.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh my mistake, I mixed up two different types of bombers in my topic. What I meant were bombers like the F-117 and Panavia Tornado, in other words 'Tactical Bombers'. I went forward and changed the title of the topic title, if anyone has a huge issue with that let me know and I'll see if I can find a better solution. Sorry for the mix up though

For more info on the difference:

Wiki: Strategic Bomber

Wiki: Tactical Bomber

As for this topic being restrained, yes it is a little Ragnj. IDW does not always have wide open topics like last time, but also topics that are meant to force your own creativity and design skills a little more than usual. If that is not your cup of tea than I suggest you wait until the next round

9. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, now i just got to get that flying suicide bomber out of my mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooo! Ace topic.

Here's a start in my lunch break. I wanted to go for a futuristic Sukhoi. So after I've got some shape in there I'll try and add some Nice Russian graphics.

I ran with the thumbnail mid left.

John, cool start. Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, here's an update. I think it's going alright.

The concept is super fast bomber which can fly at high altitudes. It builds up speed then swoops down into the atmosphere to deliver it's payload. After that it climbs back to the outer atmosphere to refuel and rearm in orbit.

I'm crap at colour, so if anyone's got any thoughts about what I should be doing with the piece, just shout.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that's awesome work man. Great design; is it supposed to be an unmanned vehicle ? I'm working on a UAV stealthy bomber but I don´t know if I'll be able to finish in time

Last edited by kosta; February 26th, 2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: word mistake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finals thread is up, please post your final images in there before the deadline:

IDW #119: Tactical Bomber - Finals thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kosta! Eerm, I'm not sure if it's going to be manned or not. The sensible design side of me says it's unmanned, but a part of me wants it to be piloted by a brave young cosmonaut! I guess he'd be inside with screen views surrounding him, rather than flimsy windows... but anyway, I'll leave it up to interpretation.

I actually haven't ever finished one of these challenges! This'll be the first. Stick your WIPs up, it feels lonely in here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would have done it but I have no internet in my place so I´ll have to upload my stuff in college or something. It´s the first in these challenges for me too but I intend to find the time and put up the effort to participate every week from now on ( I don´t know how, I´m already sleeping 4-5 hours/day ... ) - as a complete noob and aspiring concept artist, I really need the trainning. Hoppefully you won´t feel lonely anymore

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a little more work on this. Gonna have to kick it into overdrive this weekend.

Tomercs, that thing looks super-duper fast. I'm digging the design and the execution, really clean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone. This is my first time participating at IDW. Nice topic and I hope you like my entry.

Tomercs, good design, elegant. And the atmosphere on the horizon is a nice touch. It looks like it can bombard from very far away. Wish I had thought that earlier.

John McKenna, looking good so far.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sady For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My Entry:

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion9282 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These look great, guys.

Tomercs, I like the way you came up with the design. I enjoy sketching random patterns and trying to come up with a design but I've never seen anyone doing it for CA weeklies.

Your final design is amazing, simple, elegant, catchy. Great work.

Anyways, here's my WIP:

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Miran For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job everyone; great entries. When I finally managed to upload mine I figured that my monitor needed to be calibrated ... I should have considered that earlier but I suppose we learn from our mistakes. Anyways, yoitisi bring up the next one !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time listener, first time caller . Nowhere near finished yet, and I am still trying to work out the full design. It’s basically an aircraft (doh) working from a yet un-invented but not impossible propulsion system. The idea is that instead of dropping bombs, it shoots semi-guided shells at extreme velocity from high altitude. Need to finish designing the wings and cannon, do a top view and maybe a dynamic view of the cannon getting used. Then add some proper shading and polish with a few more details dropped in. I know its not technically a traditional bomber, just trying to do something different that would achieve the same result.

Anyway, would be nice to get some feedback. Be gentle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very original idea; would love to see it complete. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Everyone, another IDW virgin here.

Tomercs - Awesome, I could see that in a classic Bond movie. Can't wait to see the color on it.

Sady - Very tough machine, nice rendering.

Orion9282
    - Wow, yours is really sweet. Nicely done!

I saw this topic on Friday and decided to give it a shot. Here's my initial sketch,after I did the top view I decided I wanted to know what was going on with the front and side.

Crits and suggestions welcome.

Name:  tactical-bomber-wip.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  Steve_Somers_tactical-bombe.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  165.8 KB

Updates and new work:
    www.stevesomersart.blogspot.com

CA Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175919

Available for freelance

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, this round is looking really good!

Kosta, just saw your design in the finals. It looks great, very believable.

John, thanks, glad you like it! Pleased you dropped the background into the final design, it softens up the harshness of the WIPs

Sady, thanks. Great addition of colour to your final piece, maybe the perspective is a bit off in your line work, but the colour adds good mass.

Orion, that is one badass bomber! Looks like some super heavy armour. great stuff.

Miran, what a compliment - thank you! Yeah, the small thumbnails helped a lot, and they're so quick to do too. Your front 3/4 view is a great angle, reminds me of a harrier jump jet.

Danbot, cool start. I recon the concept is pretty sound. AC130 Gunships do a similar thing. Plus those graphics on the bottom left are wicked, you could get some on the bodywork when you're done!

I don't know if scribbleHEAD's reading this thread, but his Sukhoi in the finals is ace!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomercs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, Steve, thanks! I'd love to see it in a bond movie!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe thanks Tomercs - always reading, just didn't get to post any WIP's sadly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomercs View Post
    Miran, what a compliment - thank you! Yeah, the small thumbnails helped a lot, and they're so quick to do too. Your front 3/4 view is a great angle, reminds me of a harrier jump jet.
    Actually, harrier was one of the influences. Since tactical bombers seem to resemble fighter jets and for some reason most fighter jets seem uniform and boring to me, it was either warthog or a harrier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think this is a far as I can take it atm. Still fairly new at using PS to draw from scratch, even though ive been using it for ages. Still trying to find my style if you get what I mean. In my head its sort of like orions style, but a little less controlled, but it ends up coming out like this, which looks too cartoony to me :/. If I had more time (or didnt faff about so much with it) I would of added some more features, the top view or a blue-printish diagram. Oh, and a few more of the nice graphics tomercs liked .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Danbot386 View Post
    Think this is a far as I can take it atm. Still fairly new at using PS to draw from scratch, even though ive been using it for ages. Still trying to find my style if you get what I mean. In my head its sort of like orions style, but a little less controlled, but it ends up coming out like this, which looks too cartoony to me :/. If I had more time (or didnt faff about so much with it) I would of added some more features, the top view or a blue-printish diagram. Oh, and a few more of the nice graphics tomercs liked .
    That idea in itself is pretty effing cool....never thought of a flying cannon idea before....gotta do that some time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a whole of made up mumbo jumbo to go with it. Like how it stays stable while shooting, ground teams aiming the cannon by remote or painting targets and all that sort of stuff. But I would like it if someone with a little more PS painting knowledge could tell me what Im doing wrong here. But I think ive got my lighting and shadow placement not too far off (sqwint).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Steve Somers: Don't forget to post your entry in the finals thread too! I can't take it to poll if it's not in there. Find the thread here: IDW #119 Tactical Bomber - Finals thread

Maragnarok: If you read this, would you mind resizing your image and make it a little smaller? It's hard to watch an image if you have to scroll up and down and sideways to see all of it. Thanks.

To everyone: The deadline for this round is today, so I will close this round in about 8 hours from now. Make sure you've finished your finals before that time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.