Character/Unit Concept

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character/Unit Concept

first time posting in these forums. woohoo!

i've been working on this idea for a while, but this concept is for a character/unit called an "Aid". in my mind, they are nomadic and politically neutral drug makers. the drugs they carry can range from the helpful, i.e. sleeping aids, to the recreational hallucinogenic or even to deadly poison. they don't care who they sell or trade their drugs with, it's completely up to their discretion; a sort of mercenary mentality.

the image in this thread is a study for the clothing. they are some of the final decisions i have for the final concept illustration i'd present, but i'll be mixing and matching what's in these for the final. thanks for looking! and as always, comments, suggestions and critique are welcome

Character/Unit Concept

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lalali; April 10th, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very Avatar-y (Cartoon not Cameron)
    They feel like they are outfits from three separate cultures, instead of from 1 culture like you described.
    If you wanna unify them, try repeating elements more, like give them more similar colors, or give them all that gold jewelry, or the plethora of pants pockets, or all that long drape tucked in the belt, or give them all those fitted seamlines of their tops like the green one has.

Think about these people's culture. For example, you could ask yourself, do these people have any favorite patterns or symbols they like to embroider or weave into their clothes? Do they put a colorful border on everything or leave details out? Are they wealthy & have lots of expensive ornaments & lots of elaborate clothes, or do they maybe travel light and simple, so that their accessories are only those of necessity, and they only have 1-2 sets of basic clothes, & their only ornaments are found objects like shiney stones or flower chains? Just an example : )

Also consider what climate they are from (like, that blue one feels like its heavy & meant for a cold place, while the yellow-red feels like its made from light material and meant for warm, maybe desert place.) You said they are nomads, so mebe think - if these people DO travel to many different climates, and made a particular outfit for the heat, what would they do, TO THE SAME OUTFIT!, to make it work in the cold?

Designing a culture can be very fun, so if you wanna put some more time into this project, I'd give these another shot : ) Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockman! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

:)

much appreciation rockman! great suggestion about the consistency in an element of each of the designs, i'm definitely gonna be doing some mish and mash for the final design. i was trying to explore really different tweaks in each one based on which environment they'd be coming from, so it's great that you saw that. i didn't even realize it looked like the 3 different elements O_O hahaha! thanks for pointing that out!

mish mash time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I picked up on the Avatar influence as well (that's not a knock, I think it's cool. But I work with some of the Avatar team, so I'm biased ). As a show creator, this costumes and palette choices are definitely something I can appreciate. I agree with Rockman's suggestions in looking for ways to unify the style (although early on it can be helpful to showcase many different variations to help narrow down exactly what you want). Figuring out what your culture's key colors are can help a lot, although that can be a starting point, or something you figure out later on.

Keep sharing these! I'll keep my eye on the thread with great interest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update! :)

so here's the next rendition of the previous post. I decided to keep them with more or less the same color set for uniformity's sake. one last step and that's the final illustration with just one of them in a more purposeful pose and such. any comments or critique are welcome!

Character/Unit Concept

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As an establishing question, what purpose do these clothes serve? Do fighters wear these? Do diplomats? Function defines fashion in many cases.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would recommend either toning down your background or bringing up some highlights in your characters. Right now the brightness of the BG is really distracting from the characters themselves.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bai Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Falchion: i suppose what i had in mind for the clothing was mobility, modularity and places to store things on hand, i.e. pouches and pockets (not sure if using 'places to store' is exactly right, haha!). nothing too cumbersome and modular if needed, like hems that can be cinched up to the be shorter, a scarf that doubles as a headband. the breastplate/torso was a wild-card i threw in there thinking that if they need to be on the run, they can at least have vital areas protected. but i'm definitely gonna keep that suggestion in mind, i honestly feel like i might have lost track of that question while i was working. thank you so much!

Bai Fan (which btw is an awesome nickname :3): thanks for the tip, i'm trying to play around with that right now. should i continue to work on darker backgrounds? or is it sort of subject specific that defines what color background to work on?

thanks to both of you for looking and giving me constructive comments ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right. You want my advice on the actual design? If it's going to be modular, make it simple. From a purely practical approach, would you want to spend fifteen minutes trying to undo knots and intricate lacing? Simplify and free up the articulation points of the wearer. No strappy things that wrap around the upper arms from the shirt. Not unless you're not planning on showing a fighter.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, maybe saturate colors more in shadow regions. I dont like background personally. The shapes are a bit flat. I think you should use lightning more calculated to add depth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Falchion: fo sho, i agree. if i were in a mad rush, i wouldn't want to be spending all my time untying things either, heehee! but at the same time, i don't really imagine this character being in a hurry :/. i'll definitely simplify certain areas for the final illustration though.

Danilo: thanks for the comment about the background. i didn't realize that it could make my images look flat when you say 'use lighting more calculated to add depth', do you mean just having a more specific and directional light source?

thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, sorry i didnt express me well. I dont think that background makes you image looks flat.

Yes I think that clear lightsource will add more realism to it.

http://www.professionalphotography10...otography.html
    if you search some of this subject maybe could help. cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks alot for the link danilo i'll keep it mind for the next step

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.