Chow 190 :: Kitsune - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Chow 190 :: Kitsune

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    varjoun: *jawdrop* i love those colours!!! its coming on wonderfully, I need to learn more about doing a monochrome version myself and reduce my layers, i think i'm going into my late twenties.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RANDOM COMMENT ROUND II (random because my memory simply sucks):

Elixia: Fish's blood is red if I remember correctly

Vaejoun: I really like her pose and face

Pixeltuner: your brushwork is amazing

Novbert: cute, maybe the head is a bit too big compared to the body

DIMAYIAN: I really hope you'll finish it, in looks so promising!

Bendragon: I really like your pic

AvisNocturna: I can't tell what she's doing but I like her face

Shogo: love the painterly style, just a bit difficult to read at this stage

Josu: don't take this wrong but I think the b/w version was far better, there's something missing now that it is colored

AND now my dancing kitsune:
    I think I'm done, I added a texture but it does not look charming with a picture so little so I maybe remove it. what you think?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yoru no Megami; February 26th, 2010 at 12:39 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yoru no Megami For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

nice work so far guys Here is mine so far, any advice on how i can improve it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely stuff as usual folks. No time to comment right now

...I had the chance to go booby wild and my brain decided it'd much rather do 'little kid stuff' instead of boobies. So it's kitten kitsune...prepubescent kitsune. Apparently my mind would like me to kindly choke on cuteness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Vaejoun: I really like the fiery orange, but the rest seems a bit muddy. Maybe radiate those fresh colours a bit more throughout your piece?

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    elixia: yes, fish have red blood. (Ever seen pix of sharks in feeding frenzy? Red galore!) However, if you go with the blood, maybe you want a more obvious bite taken out of the fish? (With bones showing, maybe?) As it is, it's slightly unclear what the source of blood is...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Freddy Scribbles: she is soooo soooo cute. You got my vote

Mistermike: I think you should rebuild the bones of the leg and the distribution of the fur on them. It is a nice creepy style though

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Yoru no Megami For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey what are the rules here in chow regarding nude and this kind of stuff? is it allowed?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just did some scribbles to join this round but i won't have the time to finish : <

Name:  vixen.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  vixen2.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  49.6 KB

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoru no Megami View Post
    Freddy Scribbles: she is soooo soooo cute. You got my vote

Mistermike: I think you should rebuild the bones of the leg and the distribution of the fur on them. It is a nice creepy style though
    thanks for the advice , i have evened out the fur on each leg, but the idea of the leg positions is to show the spindly frame of the character, so i'm not sure what you mean by rebuilding the bone structure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pin up on the way

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

i hope clochette will got the time to finish it, this piece emitting the eternal foxy beauty .

fortunatelly i am near to the finish with my countryside kitsune

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jozulus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tommoy I LOVE the pinup! You'll be getting my vote for sure. The only thing that sticks out a bit is I think you need to make where her tail joins a little darker - or 'connect' a bit better with her knickers

Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kittymeow84 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistermike View Post
    thanks for the advice , i have evened out the fur on each leg, but the idea of the leg positions is to show the spindly frame of the character, so i'm not sure what you mean by rebuilding the bone structure
    My fault I mean: Position is good, very animal but the fur is uneven and it makes the legs look broken and badly reassembled or they are made of more than the usual two bones. Hope it is clearer now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haven't done one of these in a while, but the subject sparked something in my brain..here is what i've got so far, i should hopefully have it fully colored and fleshed out within the next day or so..i'm thinkin foxish coloring for the hair/skin tones..who knows

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey this is fun. This is my first challenge--I just heard of it in another post on a different thread a few days ago!

Here is what I'm workin' on but I don't think I have time to finish! I know , everyone says that lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some crits for everyone! I'm really sorry if I skipped you, I tried to get to everyone

Novbert: Thank you for you advice and feedback, I'd have to really agree (especially about the pushing the character bit). As far as yours goes, I'd be careful about the head structure and facial structure. I think her eyes are becoming a bit uneven. And also, if she just ate a bird and is holding the feather, I'd add a few more feathers/bird parts lying around to make sure the viewer knows the story
    H4WK: I like you're overall pose, but be careful where her legs are. The one in the back doesn't seem to make much sense.
    AvisNocturna: I really like your line work, the pose is interesting and it seems like you are handling the face well. Keep it up
    Vaejoun: I really like what you have going on right now! A really nitpicky suggestion would just be to maybe add some more of those mouths that are on the lefthand side somewhere else in the composition, however make them even lower in contrast and less interesting so they aren't just like one isolated element.
    Shogo: Again, I really love the mood and feeling in yours. I'd have to agree with Artfix on definining the tails a little more, but other than that keep it up!
    Naphtali: Nice improvements. Be careful of how she is holding the sword though--I think the perspective on it is getting a little wonky. If you are holding a straight object up like that, it would probably be tilted more upwards, the tip of the sword pointing more towards the top corner of the page
    Cherubiel: Really interesting choices of color you're making. I'd be careful that the skin is a little too reddish, it seems like it might be overall too warm.
    Jozulus: I really love your character already. I don't have any advice, but I have to say it's looking really strong
    Elixia Dragmire: I have to say that I vote no blood on this one. Besides that though, I feel like all the textures and patterns in the trees and the lake are getting very distracting. Perhaps lower the contrast between the values of the patterns and it'll flow better
    Wiggers: I really like your use of textural brushes in the background, and your use of subtly. However, to me where her foot is places looks a little strange. If she's applying weight to it, it should be a little further back, I think
    Unruhe: Nice update, it is more clear what's going on! I think I said earlier that I really like her face and how unique she is, but I feel like you could go a little further with value difference. it looks almost like everything is the same local value, and I think if you pushed out things to be a little darker or lighter you'd have a better time showing what's important to the viewer. (if that makes sense, haha)
    Meeatu: Nice sketch. Since it's so early on I don't have a whole lot to say besides be careful how you place her hips in that foreshortened pose. Look forward to seeing more though!
    Liv: I love how you are pushing that anatomy and stylizing it like that. I don't have a lot to say about it constructively, but just be cautious about how the skirt is going to be in your later stages. Make sure it doesn't turn out like a shapeless blob and it helps describe the form. I look forward to seeing an update!
    Josu: I have to agree about the harsh lighting. But beyond that, I feel like her neck is getting lost, and it may be because the shoulders aren't quite right. I hope that helps
    Noion: Nice line work so far, but I feel like her right (our left) ear is too high up. Even though they aren't real ears, they should match up with the same angle as the rest of her head and facial features.
    Mistermike: Like I said before, I really like the way you are going about this character. I'm not sure what to suggest as far as color, I guess it all depends on whether or not you feel comfortable doing it. Besides that though, the only other thing I would suggest is to work on her shoulders a bit. The bent arm seems like it is getting lost once it gets up to the shoulder, and I feel it's starting to look a little awkward even with you stylization.
    Missconstruction: I think the pose is working okay, but make sure you figure out where her legs are exactly.
    Pixeltuner: I love yours so much! I don't have a lot to add, so I'll just say that I really look forward to seeing more
    Scotwith1T: I really like your story and idea, very nice. It's early on, but I think what I would do is push her pose more. If she was getting up and walking away, but suddenly turning around there would be a lot more action in the top part of her body.
    Bendragon: Nice work so far! I like the flowing hair and dress, but the fact that the ears/hair bit on the back of her head is so far back and very straight up and down when her head is tilted forward is kinda bugging me. I'd say make it feel like it was more on top of her head, since it kinda doesn't look like it belongs right now
    Colourful-Gizmo: Nice sketch, a really interesting character. My only idea is that the pelvis box and therefore the legs are getting a little weird, it may not be the correct angle.
    Monkeydoodles: I really like the idea with the dog in the background. Nice touch But be sure you are pushing your values, since it is beginning to look a little flat.
    Dimagyan: I really love that hair. Such an interesting shape! I don't have a lot to crit on it, but you have some nice lines to work with
    Niva: Nice update! But that little black band at the top of the arm is bugging me, what is it? I think getting that arm to flow into the body a little more would really help it out
    Dahhii: I don't have a whole lot since it is so early on, but I'd be careful about the relationship between the shoulders and the breast. The shoulder further away from us seems like it is out of place
    Vamyen: Really nice concept story! Just be sure to push the light on her face/head area and it'll be a nice illustration
    l.sheridan: Be careful with the anatomy of this, her head looks very narrow and her torso is becoming kinda stiff. Also, I'd avoid cropping the bottom of the picture like that since cropping at the knees always makes it an awkward composition.
    Crossmirage: I really like the changes to your character! She feels more 'oni' like this way. But make sure that you distinguish the leg that is bent up, since it is kinda blending in with the leg behind it and make it a little confusing at first. Nice changes though!

Now as far as mine, I've been trying to listen to Novbert and add more fox like characteristics to my character. So I gave her fox eyes, pointy teeth and big ears. I'm not sure how well it's coming across though.

Critiques more than welcome!

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to majortom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay. Time for a bit of a break. And a few crits. Got some, skipped others, got about a page and a half of stuff. Working backwards...

@Majortom - She's looking a little troll-like in appearance. I'd reference foxes directly esp. with the ears which seem a bit more elf than furry of any sort. Also, one eye appears to be significantly smaller than the other.
    @Artfix - This is looking like it'll be fun. Not sure exactly what's going on with the lower figure. It seems very stiff and ungrounded. I reckon it'll make more sense as you get further into the painting.
    @Rustikof - Like the graphic quality of her face. Watch the anatomy on her lower half. The lower legs seem off.
    @jozulus - So far so good. Liking what I see so far. Especially digging the bagged goose. Know you're not done yet - main thing seems to be to keep an eye on her hands.
    @Tommoy - Va-voom!
    @Clochette - Lovely as always
    @Mistermike - Although I'm really digging the idea, I'd keep an eye on the underlying structure. The style is really neat, it's just that the anatomy feels a little odd in spots. As in physically impossible does that really work that way odd.
    @Yorunomegami - Dig the bright orange and the fabric on the dress. That being said, I'd watch her hands. Especially the one coming in front of her body as it gets lost against the waist band.
    @Vaejoun - wow. She's hot.
    @elixia - Sad but true - it took me awhile to 'spot the difference'. I don't think it makes a huge difference. Might suggest popping the tail out of the background. Seems rather stiff and tube like and less soft and tail like. Really love the patterns in the background tho.
    @Naphtali - watch the anatomy on the non-sword holding hand.
    @Vamyen - Really love this idea. And I'm not a huge 'furry fan'. Tend to avoid anthropomorphic animals, but I'm really rather liking where this is going.
    @Dimagyan - Love the graphic style. Would have loved to see her facial features pushed a bit more. Will be interested to see where this goes. Just hope you don't lose the graphic edge if you end up going the color route.
    @Bendragon - digging the colors dude.

Got some colors laid in. Eh. Digital is not my favorite thing. And cute is not my favorite thing. So...I've got cute and digital and my brain's just shaking its head in derision and chastising me about going for 'Cute' and not 'Boobies' when Kitsune just tends to scream boobs. ...What can I say? I tend to prefer drawing soft, round shapes. Angles make my eyes squinty.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freddy Scribbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really good stuff so far. Loving the diversity of styles/backstories!

Late start for me as usual, been busy busy busy this week but given the character a lot of thought. Hope I can get this finished over the weekend.

This chow really screamed "Metal Gear" in my face when I read it. I've decided to design the as-yet non-existant daughter of Frank Jaegar (Grey Fox/Cyborg Ninja) under the name "White Fox" (Shiroi Kitsune). She would be on some kind of revenge mission or possibly trying to find her father. Like him, she's a member of Foxhound special forces unit, but like her Japanese mother she has the "kitsune" gene.

I'm Trying to use the familiar foxhound logo motif in a couple of places, and the recognisable silhouette of the MGS favourite FAMAS assault rifle to tie her into the game world a little more.

Here's some (very) rough block-ins. Any feedback, especially on the hair, would be much appreciated.

Available for Freelance - http://www.veshkau.com | Sketchbook | CG Hub | Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Colors

Trying some colors, still not really satisfied with how it's going but I may have went too far to back out now. I did learn a few things in the process though. I did try to fix that arm band too but it still needs more work.

Name:  Chow190-Kitsune-Niva-05.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  101.1 KB

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As ever, feel free to ignore. I'm no expert myself.

Freddy Scribbles: The colours work well imo - very Japanese-looking. Would like to see more though, maybe some background elements or patterning.

Major Tom: The hand is looking a little off and her face is more monster than fox. Nice cloth rendering though, keep it up.

Artfix: Frightening stuff. I love it.

Jozulus: The shadow, ears and ginger hair are nice touches. Also like the chickens! Maybe a little too much blank space behind her, would consider the composition some more too since it's going down the illustration route.

Tommoy: Beautiful.

Mistermike: Some parts of her anatomy look like they're not sitting right but tbh this adds to the unnatural feeling quite well. Another frightening piece - I like it.

Yoru no Megami: Her near eye and nose don't seem to be sitting right, but very nice colours and flow. Keep it up!

Vaejoun: I really like this. Good use of colour, well presented story, a girl who has both Japanese and fox-like facial features and an overall Japanese tapestry feel. Looking forward to the final.

Elyxia Dragmire: Her face is looking a little flat but other than that it's looking good. Very nice style.

Naphtali: Looking very masculine. The main improvement would be to make her facial features appear more feminine - eyes further apart and less evil looking, less defined jawline etc. You could try widening the hips/narrowing the shoulders, tipping the shoulder line and hip line at opposing angles or decreasing the side-view angle between the rib-cage and the pelvis. Also some kind of "hair" on her head to give her a more feminine quality.

I Sheridan: Some anatomy/proportion issues here and not a lot of story/plot elements or design outside of the face. Guessing this is very early though, looking forward to an update.

Vamyen: I like the backstory element and the pose is beautiful. My only gripe here is that her face is quite difficult to read at the moment. Looking forward to the finished piece.

Niva: Her face doesn't look very Asian, feature-wise, but looking great so far.

Bendragon: Looking good. The warm light and colours are working really well imo. The mask is a nice touch too. Don't want to sound like a broken record but my only complaint is the non-asian facial features. Keep up the good work.

Novbert: Some perspective issues here and her face seems quite distorted. Also a bit worried about the composition with her knees getting so close to the edge there. Some nice lighting and facial expression though.

AvisNocturna: Sorry to hear about your paper problems - really hope you don't have to start over. Looking beautiful so far but, again, looking quite caucasian.

Piceltuner: Much yum.

Josu: Some nice painting here, particularly the background and sword. Her face, hair, clothing and tail are looking very flat though - almost like cardboard cut-outs. Seems that your light-source is inconsistant in some areas, especially on the face/ribbon. Also, some cast shadows should go a long way, for example under the ribbon on her chest. Really hope you can get the lighting fixed, it's looking really nice besides that.

Liv: Looking good. The anatomy is a little infeminine - I'd like to see it smoother with less of a Bridgman feel to it but it all depends on what you're going for. Very nice style overall.

Meeatu: Surprisingly enjoyable for a quick sketch. Hope the final sticks with the same qualities.

Apologies to anyone I missed - it doesn't mean I hate you, I promise. Some entries I couldn't really think of anything constructive to say and it's getting late. Keep up the good work all!

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Veshkau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got some more done today but still have lots to do

Looking great everyone ! Keep it up, can't wait to see the finals!

Name:  kitsunewip5.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  117.7 KB

Last edited by Adam Schumpert; February 27th, 2010 at 08:08 AM.
    WARNING!!!!!
    WAAAAAY WAAAAAY way out of Date!

My Sketch Book
    TEAM CHOW I
    TEAM CHOW III
    I'm always trying to improve.
    Any help, encouragement, crits,
    or comments are greatly appreciated!
    Please let me know what you think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, great entries being posted - I love surfing this thread!!

Here's my quick sketch I worked on last nite.

Crits and Comments still to come...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you FreddyScribbles and Veshkau for the crits! I really appreciate it! I tried to take both of your advice and make her less monstrous and more foxy (no pun intended), and in the process I'm still experimenting with a few ideas.

So anyways, here is a very quick update on my end. I'll come back with more constructive stuff for other people in the morning
    And as always crits very welcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if there's anything else I should do with it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some random comments:

Yoru no Megami: I can't tell you either, but thanks Your Kitsune looks pretty charming, I like the pose. Maybe you can push the contrast a little bit. eg her hand in front of the obi is not really visible, lighten or darken of them. Same for her hair.

Mistermike: Interesting design1 I kind of liked your first version best, because it had way more contrast and interesting edges. Also you could try to darken some of the fur parts to make it pop a little more?

Freddy Scribbles: Very cute! Love the fox poses!

Clochette: Gorgeous as always!

Tommoy: I really like the pinup approach. Great Tattoo as well. Maybe you can make her tail look a little "furryer"?

jozulus : I really like the colours in your piece and her face looks great.

rustikof: Looks nice so far! A little early for crit

Artfix: I don't really get what's going on yet, but it looks pretty interesting...

Majortom: Her face is coming along quite well, but I think the perspective of the fan in the background is wrong... And thanks a lot for the comment

Veshkau: REally interesting approach... I like hair 4 best and Thanks for the crit, the new paper is much better. Also working on her face

Niva: I like the parts around her stomach and thigh, espeacially the colours. There's something about it I'm missing on her face and breast.I think it's contrast and edges. Maybe try to soften the edges around her breast and lover the highlights, otherwise your center of interest would be her breast. (If that's intended, well, then maybe apply this to her face )

Adam Schumpert : The tattoo looks great, very nice pose as well!

Carrion: She looks pretty masculin right now. Her shoulders seem to be a little wide and her hands are pretty big. I like her pose though, let's see what you'll do with it

And here's what I got... blargh...

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  374.0 KB

Last edited by Nele Klumpe; February 27th, 2010 at 09:16 AM.
    “Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some progress from meh

My Sketchb00k regular updates
    -= i am looking for work =-
    DeviantArt . CGhub gallery . www.artofinca.com . Blog

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Artofinca For This Useful Post:

2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's where I am right now. I took my initial design and started painting a sexy pose of her smoking a pipe. I wasn't that big of a fan of it, so I started over and thought "seducing" a man was a much better composition. Something like her looming over him made her seem much more dangerous

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So I'm jumping into this horrifically late, but we'll see how far I get, at this point I'm just gonna have fun with it...

I'm going for an elegant courtly kitsune, largely inspired by some of Pu Songling's tales featuring utterly charming, elegant, deceitful fox-ladies. Basically she's an insatiable succubus whose lovers gradually decline and die, but she seems like a perfect sweetheart. Trying to combine an ideal Japanese beauty with subtle foxy touches, not sure how well this will work. And of course she has ravening foxes and foxfires on her kimono, and assorted symbols of entrapment, lust and decay in the background. And an enticing pillow.

I admit this is mostly an excuse to go wild with Japanese decoration. Gonna go totally momoyama with this thing - GOLD! GOLD GOLD GOLD! Over-the-top kabuki-costume textiles! Wheee! (pfff, there's no way this is getting done on time.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice late entries coming in. Here's a small update from me, still very rough. I went with your decision on the hair Avis, a good choice I think - ty! (Your latest version is looking beatiful btw.)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.