Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Chow 190 :: Kitsune

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice entries so far everyone
    I especialy like Adam's and Kailaan entries

I will probably use the upper concepts, they are two Kitsunes acting as gardians for a small region.
    The number of times their hair splits in the back reflects the amount of tails they have in thier fox forms
    ( you cant really see it on the scetches though). the lower character was an earlier concept with a dramatic story,
    but I'm wasn't very happy with it.

critiques are welcome and hoped for

is it possible to draw two characters in a pic for the finals?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ink Fish- I see what you're saying. I'll try and subdue the car's presence, as she should be the main focus.
    Yoru No Megami- Thanks!
    Kailaan- Much appreciated.
    Tommoy- I'm diggin your pin-up girl, nice nostalgic look.
    Adam- I like the composition and the tats are great touch. I think her lower backside is a little squooshed though.
    Vaejoun- Lovely sketches, can't wait to see where these go.
    Josu- She's a sexy chick. Maybe move her left eye down a bit, as it doesn't align with her right one atm.

You can work now and play later, or play now and work later.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timothee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    Here is my WIP so far... i am making it a Nogitsune.. The evil version an critiques on form is desirable since i suck at drawing women.

So far the idea is a draw her with a Fox like face.. I have much reference for that but body and form always get me.. I just sometimes cant the proper balance between Breasts, Legs, Shoulders, and hips. or the just come out looking manish.
    For the proportions, there are a few things to correct on this image. For a more feminine form, you might want to make the hips a bit wider, or the waist smaller. The head is quite tiny in comparison to the rest of the body as well. The legs - now I'm not sure if you're aiming for a more anime styled body, but if not, they're way too long. However, anime or not, the knee should be at the middle of the leg. Right now she's got a normal proportioned thigh and an anime length calf. If you're going to continue with the this length of leg, move that knee down to the half way point of the limb.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, this is my first post in this subforum.

Great entries so far!
    This is my sketch , some funky bits here and there. Any tips on composition and proportions feel free to give feedback, its really appreciated!
    Needs quite a lot of refinement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My wip so far. Trying a bit of a classical look... hopefully I can pull it off Good luck everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooook sooooo, took some pic of myself with a big lamp for shadow/light ...glad nobody was there to watch me lol... but I'm totally happy with the result!!
    It helped me so much to figure out her face and hand' shadows.
    though I think if I don't put colors soon I'll be stuck with B&W >.<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good everyone!

any crits would be greatly appreciated, keeping this one loose and painterly, but wondering if i should go further with the tails on her or ditch em an go another route?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

I must say beautiful work so far everyone! I can't make any promises that I'll get this project to completion but I'll give it my best shot n_n

I'm still trying to decide how to give it a more foxy approach... and I may do something totally different with the hair....

I Do Sketch-Casts & Stream Video Games Stop by some time http://www.twitch.tv/confabulant

MyPaint FTW

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew... here I go again! Hopefully going to be able to finish this weeks. Anyways, I just finished cleaning up the line work and the base of it. But I gotta give thanks to my friend who helped me come up with the fan idea, although making it all flow is proving to be difficult.

Here's a few quick comments for everyone though:
    Pixeltuner: I really like the complexity in it already, her outfit and expression are already turning out great. Just be careful with the hands, they are getting a little confusing.
    Ruined: I really like the mood already, but be careful about your colors getting to mixed up and getting that muddy look.
    Yeshin: I really like the Geisha idea, especially for a character like this one! Her arm is looking a bit awkward, I am thinking it's not in the right place. Maybe if it was more bent forward it would look more natural.
    Adam Schumpert: I really love the flow of all the fabric and the tattoo idea. Really beautiful already! But just a suggestion, maybe if the leaves/pedals looped back around towards the bottom instead of going straight to the top corner, it would help composition a little more? Just an idea
    Niva: I really like how she looks strong and powerful, almost like a warrior. Right now I would just be careful about her abs/rib cage area, it looks a little emaciated in comparison to the rest of her body.
    JanJager: I really like how she looks like an innocent little kid, really interesting way of looking at the character. My only suggestion is to be careful about defining her legs and making them look like the are in front of her body instead of her body itself. If that makes any sense... but it's still in the beginning, so that's nitpicky.
    Crossmirage: A futuristic kitsune? Awesome! Since it's so early on, I would just be careful about where her legs are since they look too thin, but it's an awesome idea
    timothee: Haha, I love the modern idea of this one! So far my only suggestion is that the color/value of the car is a little saturated and may end up competing with the girl for as focal point. So just be careful about that
    Naphtali: I really like her fox face, it's working out pretty well. Be careful with her right (our left) arm, it seems to not be placed quite right. But I like the warrior idea, she already seems pretty badass
    Chiko: Awesome idea, I really like the 'nobility' kind of feeling it has already. Be careful with her hands, I think her right (our left) hand is backwards.
    Elixia Dragmar: I really like her expression and the little story you have come up with. You're off to a strong start.. just be careful with the values, it seems like the background values and the foreground values are very similar.
    Ink fish: I really like the traditional look you are going for, I would just say a few things are getting confusing, like the kitsune below the figure is very similar to the tail/pillar of fire next to her. I would say work on being able to seperate those things a little more.
    Josu: Haha, I love the little schoolgirl idea. Nice under structure so far, but I think one of her legs looks a little longer than the other. I'm not sure, or maybe it's an issue with communicating that it's bent back.
    Yoru no Megami: I really like the style you have going on right now, it's really awesome. Just be careful with the sleeves, on the arm that is bent the sleeve isn't really communicating the form underneath.
    Vaejoun: Personally, I really like the ponytail-tail idea. But I also love the way you are drawing those fox faces. Perhaps combining the two ideas in some way?
    Kailaan: I really love your use of big shapes here. It almost reminds me of Mucha.
    cz64: I really like the vector use here, just be careful since the head and the face are a little confusing.
    Tommoy: I really love your idea! Very fun. I would just be careful about the pelvis-shoulder ratio, since her bottom seems to be looking pretty big.
    Mistermike: I really love your idea already, it's pretty original! Not a whole lot to crit on since it's so early, but I look forward to seeing more
    Viviane: Nice character ideas so far. It's early on, so all I have to suggest is that they look very, very young. So just think about it when you refine them a little more
    Unruhe: Welcome to Chow! I really love the expression and the way you are handling her face right now. But I'm not really sure what she's holding, so just keep on refining
    Bendragon: I really like the classical idea right now, the flow you have going on is pretty nice. Perhaps it would be stronger if you cropped it in a little more, getting rid of that dead space on the left. Just an idea
    Krizalide: the improvements on the face are really great, and I like the shadow idea. My only suggestion is to not be afraid to loose some of the work as it gets closer to the floor. Since it's such dramatic light, in reality we couldn't see much in the way of the skirt as it hit the floor.
    Shogo: I love the textural look you have going on right now. As far as the tails, I think they could work really well if you define them a little more. It could really help keep that loose, flowy look if you want.
    Ninsta: I actually really love the hair, it's so traditional it really works well I think. I look forward to seeing more

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to majortom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my wip so far

Name:  Kitsune_008 copy2.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  217.1 KB

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ChOW#190_H4WK_wip01

so far....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one's will be made in pencil... I'm thinking about including one colour... Don't know yet.

The sketch is veeeeery light

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  58.0 KB
    Name:  02.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  69.7 KB

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quickie because I forgot to mention it earlier but Krizalide the light in the lamp wont cast a shadow as its doing now otherwise love the piece I almost did the same with the shadow but couldn't incorporate it into the design I had in a way I liked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quickie because I forgot to mention it earlier but Krizalide the light in the lamp wont cast a shadow as its doing now...
    do you mean the shadow on the wall?
    if yes than I failed to picture what I wanted lol
    I was seeing her walking down the hall with her lantern, and when she passes in front of those paper doors (which we don't see) the moon would cast a shadow on the wall behind her. I'm really bad with big constrast situation, but I made a early render with maya and sketched on it, so I thought it was ok'ish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yaaawn... so late... gonna sleep.

After a looot of idea scribbling, I decided on this one.
    The story: A hunter kills foxes and because of that the kitsune (fox ghost) gets angry and wants revenge. So the female flatters him and slowly makes himn addicted to a drug (in the sake bottle). He has to return to her but she wont give it to him.
    Yea... Japanese ghosts can be really mean. ^^

Pencil drawing with some ps redoing... I was surprised how much was wrong. Like the head was way too long and big before... the arms as well.
    The guy on the ground will be difficult, maybe I can get my brother to pose for me ;P

I had other ideas, like a more stilized abstract one, with a women lurking a pawn away from his house and behind the small fox like kitsune are steeling everything they can. (I really like the idea, hopefully I can do this another time)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finished i guess, maybe i'll edit something later

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @Vaejoun, I think her left forearm - the one holding the lantern - looks a little short. Looks great so far :3

After much thought I decided to scrap my older design, it's not quite "fox" enough for me.

Last edited by crossmirage; February 24th, 2010 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shogo I like yours a lot. It reminds me of Klimt which I love.

I like that it is loose but I would suggest clarifying some things. The tails are hard to tell they're tails.

Also, maybe something to separate him and her?

Great job

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    base colors done. Now the hard.. getting it all ti fit together!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tons of cool entries so far, so here goes my two cents for everyone

elixia_dragmire: I like the structure of the face, but the initial colors look a bit random. You should also consider definition of a main light source - or removing/simplifying the shading on the hair as now it's the only shaded element on the pic.
    Pixeltuner: looks promising as always. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Krizalide: The sading looks kickass, but if she holds that lamp in her hand she couldn't have so small shadow on the wall. Or is the shadow made by another light source? Kinda confusing.
    Tommoy: Simple yet effective. I love the pose. The tail could use some more furry look though. Some not-so-flat background would also be a nice touch.
    Ruined: It needs to be cleaned up pretty much to be more specific, but that tail looks totally off the place - it looks like she has a fox under her kimono.
    Yeshin:Much more definition is needed on the clothes to show her pose. Currently I can hardly tell whether her torso or her back is facing us (the tail suggests the first, the tail suggests the second)
    Naphtali: Nice design but I'd say that you should emphasize the womanly look a bit more than just placing boobs on her chest (widening hips, adding some jewelery, etc.)
    Adam Schumpert: I love the pose, the color scheme - everything Her buttocks look a bit weird, though, especially that part which is further away from our viewpoint. Her left shoulder is also a bit off. But hey, I'm just nitpicking. Keep it up, man!
    Niva: Cool idea on the hair, but the torso looks a bit horrifying (maybe on purpose?) - I guess it could use more subtle shading.
    JanJager: Promising start. Can't wait to see how far you will push it.
    Angelsway257: I like the face, though the right eye doesn't exactly match up the left one. the hair is also cool so far.
    Crossmirage: Nice dynamic pose so far
    timothee: Not bad, but I'd push the storytelling a bit more (what is she doing there?)
    Chiko:Lovely design and wicked color scheme - I really like the whole piece - especially the face.
    Ink Fish: The pose is a bit stiff and those foxy things currently look like fire or lava. Get some refs!
    Josu: The realism of the initial sketch made your piece one of my favourites this round, but the coloring with those agressive shadows totally ruins it. No offense, but I'd do the whole coloring again based on the grey sketch and I'd think twice or even three times before adding more shadows to one part or another (those black shades on the white shirt hurt my eyes the most)
    Yoru no Megami: Nice stylized stuff. I love the pose and the facial expression.
    Vaejoun: cool initial sketches - hard to tell anything about your linesketch yet. Maybe more interesting posing would be a nice touch. Her pose is kinda stiff now.
    Kailaan: I love the composition and the watercolor idea. Can't wait to see it finished.
    cz64: nice colors but hard to see what's happening. Also looks more like a male than a female.
    Mistermike: Wicked design. I like it so far.
    Viviane: Those sketches are AWESOME. I especially like the one with the black hair.
    unruhe: Looks like some carnival mask, haha. Hard to tell anything about the poses and comp though as it's not defined enough yet.
    Bendragon:Interesting color scheme, but it somehow works.
    Shogo:I'd add some movement, and overlapping to the tails, make some of them curved, etc. Further definition of the male figure would also be nice - I havent realized that there is also a man on the pic for the first glance.
    Nintsa: nice face, but don't forget about the pose! You have to show the whole figure.
    majortom: Pose is a bit stiff - and it's hard to tell that she's supposed to be a Kitsune - except by checking the background for information. i'd push the character design a bit more to empashice her foxyness.
    H4WK: Love the pose and the face
    AvisNocturna: Beautiful face sketch and interesting pose. Really promising sketch.

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Novbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I have so far! .

http://lunaticenigma.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

hope i will got the chance and enough time to finish this one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay I've taken on board everything everyone has said so far (and thank you loads!) such has colour vaules, schemes, themes and make-up now, at last for BG detail and overall shading!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope i can finish this, i love Japan been there nine times and i love Japanese mythology.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew... Just a quick update on my part! Trying to flesh it out, and also create a less stiff pose. Tomorrow I'll work on giving her more fox-like features, but for now it's time for rest.
    And I'll crit on a few things in the morning as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Josu: The realism of the initial sketch made your piece one of my favourites this round, but the coloring with those agressive shadows totally ruins it. No offense, but I'd do the whole coloring again based on the grey sketch and I'd think twice or even three times before adding more shadows to one part or another (those black shades on the white shirt hurt my eyes the most)

i also feel something wrong on the overall piece, so maybe i'll follow your crit and repaint the whole image

EDIT: ok, i didnt paint it again, but i make dissapear the strong shadows and also repaint some details
    i think it looks better now

Last edited by Josu; February 25th, 2010 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Majortom: Thank u for the feedback...I hope that its more clear now whats she's holding.
    Novbert: Hehe...It's not supposed to be one, guess I fail at sending the right impression...maybe it needs more work.

Update: this is the pose I am going to work further on. Still needs alot of refinement. Don't know if I am keeping the extensions on her back...

Jozulus: Really like her outfit and colours. Hopefully U can finish it.
    Good update wiggers

34. The Following User Says Thank You to unruhe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Josu: Just a quick note because it's bothering me! Her boobs are wrong D: Breasts are connected to the shoulder, so always follow where the shoulder is leaning. If the left shoulder is tilted down, so is the left breast. It makes her breasts look really lopsided and different sizes if you make them do the opposite!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.