Knowledge Before College?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Knowledge Before College?

I'm a senior in high school and will be entering my freshman year in college as an art major in the fall. However, I'm actually pretty new to art. I have been drawing as a hobby for years, but have only been taking formal classes for a little over a year. I still have a lot to learn in figure drawing, I have no experience in photoshop(I don't have it), and I have never painted before. All of this combined with my insecure, paranoid nature, and I have to ask: Just how much are you suppose to know going into college? I love art and I'm kind of freaking out that I'll make a fool of myself cause I don't know enough.

Help please?

Last edited by MINX; February 20th, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't sweat it. I had never done any life drawing before college, aside from the occasional still life in high school art (which I didn't take very much of), and my portfolio was fairly thin in retrospect. I had mostly copied comic drawings as a hobby and cobbled together a portfolio from the class projects I had actually managed to finish. I had hardly painted at all besides one watercolor class at the local community art center, and one oil painting "college prep" class at the Art Institute of Chicago, which was basically an open studio.

Regardless of the level of the particular program you're in, college is an excellent place to learn because you have a lot of time. Get your 10,000 hours in while you're there. Your teachers and fellow students are a resource- use them as best you can. And CA.org is an excellent resource as well, as are several other sites online. Use them as best you can as well.

Hope this helps

Tim

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was a freshman in college and wanted to major in art but was new to it and knew very little. I switched majors and in three years got my BFA in Painting. So it's possible. You just have to make sure you really want it, and work hard to learn both in school on your own free time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Be willing to lose your insecurity pretty quickly, and you'll be good to go.
    As well as, understand you're paying to ask questions, not just be told the assignment. And there may be students that make things look easy. If you're not that student, don't sweat it. It's always better or worse for someone else.
    Yeah,and alot of anything is really just mindset, be positive, don't be that guy to drop a class just because it starts off hard. There's other students in the classes that can help, you might end up that student, who knows.
    Just don't puss out because you don't want to ask for help as soon as you need it. I had a buddy who did that... I haven't seen him since. He said he was going into animation, he gave up pretty fast.

and like JJacks said, Learn in your free time, don't just do the assignments in Class. Do them outside of class too,Research the assignments don't just use what is said in class. Don't be afraid to push the instructions to the limit, to the point of maybe "breaking Rules" That's what can really make a difference. For example, Try to learn something else from the assignment . How can you apply what is being taught ?
    ~Mr_S_14

~"With a little hope, and alot of try, anything is possible."~
    ~"The harder You work, the better life gets."~
    ~"The pain doesn't last, but the gain will last forever."~
    ~"Fear is my courage." ~Mr_S_14

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_S_14 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.