Sketchbook: Absolute noob
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Absolute noob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Absolute noob

Hi CA! I am a 25 year old web developer who just started to draw about 2 weeks before. I am an absolute noob at drawing. The last time I drew was when I was 8 years old. I usually copied some Disney and Japanese anime back then.

I decided to go back to drawing because it is an itch that has been with me for a while now but has largely been ignored(due to video games )

As you can see from my sketches, I am usually concentrating on line art. I haven't been practicing shading and values yet. I posted my sketches here( however embarrassing it is and how horrible they are) so that I can learn from the people here on what to learn and improve. I have read some Loomis, Vilppu and Bridgeman books. But I want the opinion of the people here too so that I can avoid bad habits from developing.

I don't have any artistic talent whatsoever. My aces on the table is the willingness to learn, drive to practice and the joy I derived from drawing.

Hope you can help me improve my drawing.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hand sketches are quite nice and so are the figure contours at the top, though they seem a bit static. I wonder, are you drawing from pictures or a model? You will hear this many times, especially around here, drawing from life is one of the best ways to improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As mentioned above, your hand drawings (one of those beastly hard things) are very nice, and you certainly seem to be getting the hang of human movement/shape dynamics as well...at this point, I'd say practice is certainly your best friend...draw from life, from photos, draw strangers in book stores...you look like you are certainly able to grasp HOW to draw, and how to see shapes the right way to draw them...just keep doing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @rubbins I am drawing from imagination. Unfortunately for me, I can't seem to find life drawing sessions in my area.

@str4yk1tt3n Yep practice makes perfect. I have done all drawings from home but I am planning to go out at malls or hangouts to practice drawing. I am a shy guy so I get nervous when people look at me and arrive at some pretty naughty conclusions when I focus and draw some pretty girl XD. But as they say, no guts, no glory

@Aqualeot Thanks!

Here are some practices drawings that I did. Scanner quality is not so good so I make do with what I have.

I usually draw when I feel like it. I think I need discipline to draw consistently so that I would learn faster.

I really need to learn shading and how to put on clothes on the people in my drawing. I am reading Figure Drawing for all its worth by Andrew Loomis right now. While I think I am improving (sloooowly) in getting the proportions right, I get stuck at the part where you add clothes to the characters. When I try to add clothes, it just doesn't seem right and end up scrapping it altogether. Ditto with shading/values. It doesn't seem to blend and oftentimes look too dark.

I need to practice gestures too. The person who commented that my drawings are bland was absolutely correct.

Advice is badly needed

Last edited by arvinsim; October 2nd, 2010 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

updates!

More pics that I did over the week.

Starting this week I will be going out there in malls and parks and will do some drawing from life. Hopefully, I can draw fast enough for many of the subjects would not stay still

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.