Sketchbook: Sacari's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sacari's Sketchbook

Edit: I'm 18 now, and I'm a first year Illustration student at Sheridan College. C&C is always welcome!

So I've been lurking on the forum for a while and finally decided to make an account. I figured a sketchbook might be a good thing to start here

I started drawing....... I'm not really sure. I'm seventeen now, been following the art program at school. I hope to go to Emily Carr next year, probably ending up in Illustration (or maybe Animation, but I'm starting to lean towards Illustration).
    I started out drawing manga and anime years ago, and I REALLY want to get away from it. I still love anime, but it's not what I want to do with my art. And my life drawing teacher last semester pointed out that most of my life drawing looked "anime-influenced".
    Right now, I'm trying to work on getting rid of most of that anime influence by doing more life drawing studies etc.

To start off with, here's some of the stuff I did in my life drawing class.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Sacari; February 24th, 2011 at 04:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA.org hope your stay here is fruitful and lively lol. These look nice. Hope to see more from you. Try and do some still lifes/drawing from life that will help you a lot if you didn't already know that. is that you or did you draw/whatever of another person?

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the last charcoal! keep working though
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff!, I really like your first one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diarum - Thanks! I'm definitely trying to get into the still lifes etc. to help get my style a bit more realistic. I'm trying to do some sketches everyday of random objects and people or anything else from life, I'll post some up once I scan them. The first one is a self-portrait that I did for my summative. So yup, that's me

congadingsda - Thanks! I'm really happy with how that one turned out. Never really used charcoal before I took the class, so it was pretty different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's some sketches I've done over the past few days. I got myself a new sketchbook only for lifedrawing sketches and stuff.
    Since lifedrawing is over, I don't have access to a model anymore I've just been using the internet for a reference.
    Really unhappy with the gestures, I don't like small paper! I'm used to 20" x 26" for my gestures, so putting multiple ones on 9" x 12" did not work out. I'll probably start using the full page for those.

On the last one the knee got cut off since my scanner isn't quite big enough to scan a full page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So over the last week I've been working on the drawing test for my Sheridan Illustration portfolio. I just need to do one more, and then I'm done.
    I think most of them need a bit more work, they look too unfinished. Any comments would be appreciated!

1. Seated figure. My boyfriend decided to pose for me. I think I'm going to try copying this one out again, to fit that foot in. I don't like how it's chopped off.
    2. Standing figure. Again my boyfriend. Doesn't look like him, but oh well... Pretty happy with the body.
    3. Figure doing an everyday activity. My little brother, playing playstation. Which is pretty much his only everyday activity. It actually looks like him, which is a surprise.
    4. Figure in an interior, not done in pencil. I used a pen. Again, my brother. I cooked him breakfast as a bribe to sit still. I like using pen, so I'm pretty happy with this. His face looks kind of off...
    5. Still-life. I still need to do the second half of this.
    6. View out of a window, including some of the interior.

Edit: My computer seems to have screwed up some of these pics... I'll see if I can get better ones tomorrow. I'm too tired!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's some sketches from school.

We've started this painting unit, and I have no idea what the teacher wants. No one really does, she totally contradicts herself! But oh well....
    I started off with jellyfish (I picked a random word out of the dictionary... seriously not impressed with her, I didn't really care) but it wasn't "Deep" enough of a concept.
    But apparently videogames is!
    I do not understand her.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gogo sheridan . I like your colour drawings from feb 15th and the looseness of your lines. Though you need to work on your anatomy (studies, etc.). Otherwise good start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep i agree! great start but some anatomy study (loomis, bridgman, hogarth) or life drawing would really help you out. they'll also teach you to think about objects as 3D masses instead of in terms of outlines, which makes perspective and foreshortening so much easier

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOo a fellow canadian. Good luck on the Sheridan application. Keep up the drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flash jordan & NeonDuck - Thanks! I agree that anatomy is what I need to improve... I wish I could take another life drawing class but it doesn't look like a possibility until university I found it so helpful. I've been hearing alot about Bridgeman and Loomis so I think my next goal will be to track down one of their books...

Dy.laneA - Yup, go canada Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some sketches I did last night.

The figures were drawn for pics on characterdesigns.com.

I need to work on my mechanical stuff.... I gave up on that camera.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First drawing. Something that pops out right away is the shape of the nose. I dont know if the nose in question actually looks like this, but in general noses tends to be narrow at the bridge and the widen at the nostrils. You got it the other way around now. Put a extra line on there to show that the nose is narrow at the top. Think of it as if you were to draw the nose as a box with a wide bottom on there. Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    torebjerkan - That nose has been bothering me alot, and now that you've said what's wrong I get it! Thanks alot!

Aaahh, it's been forever since I posted! I went to Germany for 2 weeks, then had huge amounts of school work to catch up on and now I'm sick Pretty much better now, so here's some stuff.

First few are drawings from the flight. The airport, inside the plane, my brother sleeping, and a drawing for him from a game he likes.
    The painting is what I'm working on for school right now... That's my brother again, playing video games. The idea is to have the pixels fly out of the screen.
    The last two are just some quick drawings for characters for a game a couple friends and I are making. We just want something simple to work with to get a feel for how this all works....

Edit: Did not realize how big those last two files were! Made them smaller.

Last edited by Sacari; April 7th, 2010 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's something I sketched and then inked while I was sick... mostly to keep me occupied. I want to colour it and finish it, but I have no idea what to do!
    Anyone have a suggestion? I'll probably just stare at it for a couple dayss 'till I figure out what to do...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! As everyone is saying, just practice a lot and you'll get better in no time! Study up on anatomy and figure especially. I really like your still life (the one with the tissue box!) also the painting of your brother (2nd to the last post)

And actually I started drawing anime since I was a child.. and it took me quite some time to have convincing 'real life people'. I think what had to change the most in my drawings (from anime to real life) were the eyes. I got so used to drawing larger-than-normal eyes. XD But I still really love drawing anime.

Anyway good luck and keep on drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    biancaeris - Thanks for stopping by! I completly agree with the eyes - it's what my teacher commented on the most when I took Life Drawing. "Make them smaller! No, smaller again!" Don't get me wrong, I still like drawing anime but I want to be able to draw normal people as well A nice variety I suppose...

Here's just a quick update on that painting for school. Apparently it's due at the end of class tomorrow, but she said there's a good chance for an extension since everyone's so far behind.
    Also, I thought I'd include a couple of self-portraits I found in my sketchbook from life drawing class a few months ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. As everyone is saying, practicing anatomy sure will make you improve a lot.
    keep drawing everyday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andres333 - Yea, I didn't get in though Oh well, I think I've finally made up my mind to go to Sheridan next year.

Matindas - Thanks!

Haha, I finally downloaded a copy of Bridgeman's book, since I heard that it's a good idea to do those. Any tips on how to do this in specific? I just picked a couple drawings and copied them out... So here's my attempts.
    The nude is from a Model Pose book I found online and have been using... I miss life drawing!
    And another update on my painting. So close to being done! Hopefully I'll get it done tonight/during class tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some sketches I did over the last few days. The first 3 are really short sketches I did of people while waiting at the doctor's office.
    The other 3 are sketches I did on the car ride home from our visit to Sheridan (where I will be going next year! yay!) The first one is my boyfriend, but it doesn't look very much like him Then there's my laptop, and my brother. I think he was sleeping, or playing PSP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah I want to study at Emily Carr too. I wish I were Canadian (aaargh.....).
    Oh btw try to work more on your gesture, some of your drawings are looking kinda stiff.
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ouch! Sketchbook abuse much?!?! Really need to update...

So, in really good news, I got a call from Sheridan a few weeks ago.... I got a spot in the Illustration program for September!
    Which means I really need to get my butt in gear and practice.

For an actual art update, here's my work from the last semester which I finally got back.

(Printing Unit)
    1. The silkscreen I made.
    2. T-shirt I made from the silkscreen. Not really part of the unit, but I thought it'd be cool to have a shirt with this print.
    3. This was one of my testers to get a feel for using the printing press, but I really like how it turned out.
    4. This was my final piece for the unit. We were supposed to combine two types of printing, so I used the printing press thing (why is the name for this type of printing not coming to mind?!) for the background, and then silkscreened the portrait.

(Calligraphy Unit)
    5. Watercolour stilllife
    6. Inks stilllife. I like this one because it actually looks traditional.
    7. Watercolour stillife, this was one of my final pieces.
    8. Ink on ricepaper, one of my final pieces. We were supposed to do a "master copy", but it really just ended up take one of the instructions from the how-to book, follow it, show that you can actually do the strokes. Yea..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of sketches from the last two days.

First one is just a torso study... was going to actually fill in the face, etc. but had to leave before getting around to it. Not sure exactly how long I worked on this, but I'd say around 45mins - 1 hour. Sorry for the really bad quality photo on this one.

Second one is a quick sketch of my boyfriend while he was playing a game on the computer. Doesn't really look like him... he says it's because the nose isn't big enough

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Grrrrr

Grr. I've been feeling really uninspired lately. I've been working a ton, and now that I have some spare time I'm just not getting any ideas whenever I sit down to draw. I'm doing studies, but I want to work on some actual pieces as well.

I think to keep myself from getting frustrated I'm going to try working through something like: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81332. That way I have some structure, I'm practising, but it's also takes some imagination.

I'm actually getting kind of excited for this... hopefully it works for my uninspired mood

Anyways, for my art update: a hand, doodles based off my prom photos, and a figure.

Oh and! C&C anyone? No one's been commenting lately

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook. I love your first couple of figure drawings and those flower paintings.

I've also had to struggle constantly with cartoonist looking characters and anime influence. Even when I couldn't see it strangers could always guess where I was coming from. I suggest that you stretch out your bodies a little more. They look to short to me and they all seem to have very large feet.. It makes them look young.

As for life drawing classes you could try watching videos and pausing them for a set time to make drawings (I find ballet vids work well) and you could also try doing gestures from http://www.posemaniacs.com/

Good luck and keep posting

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MoKhi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MoKhi - Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I never thought about the feet thing, but now that I look at my stuff I totally see what you mean. I think it's because I don't spend enough time on them, I usually end up ignoring the feet because they're so frustrating Need to work on those.
    Haven't tried the video thing, thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start, and those figures are looking good, i'd suggest you'd grab yourself some anatomy books they'l help so much alongside your figurative work, keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hang on, now. Emily Carr as in Vancouver? That's a good school! See if they offer life drawing classes for a discount; some schools will. Also, you might want to check out the Vancouver Life Drawing Society. $15 is pretty good for a 3-hour session.

Also... you may have seen, but eekolite is working through the Concept101 thread, too! FWIW, it seems to be working for him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exon-Ion: Thanks I downloaded a copy of Bridgeman for now, I can't find most good anatomy books at Chapters... oh well, it'll have to do for now.

furiana: Thanks for the helpful links, but unfortunately I didn't make it into Emily Carr I did however get into Illustration at Sheridan, which is pretty exciting! I know Sheridan hosts a bunch of life drawing for sure.

----

Here's a couple studies I did. One in pastels, and a Bridgeman.
    Still need to get started on the Concept101 thread... I've been working non-stop lately. I should be able to start either tomorrow or tuesday.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.