This is mostly stuff I did recently, more stuff comin up

Constructive critique more than welcome, let's have it

Attached Images Attached Images                                      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,429 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I am fascinated with the Mouse/House and the Car/Buildings drawings.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice here! I live the shots with backgrounds the most! Post more!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your animals.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm enticed by your title but I can't see much nudes in here. Though..it's a great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys any critiques?

@zerdron - don't worry, more are on their way

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the ratatouille study!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great animal studies! Cute penguins, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

NeonDuck's sketchbook: more stuff

This is more recent stuff. still more to scan and post later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those life studies of the buildings and the boat are fantastic, great use of light and shade. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    The anatomy work is really nice but would like to see it executed in the same way as your landscapes and buildings.
    Edit: Just looked over your folio, incredible stuff. Highly jealous of your skills.

Thanks for your comment too, seems I rush in bit too much to get an image finished. Will remember to think more.

Last edited by Porg; February 21st, 2010 at 10:23 AM.
    My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff man. I really like some of those environments, they look good. Looks like you're doing a good number of studies, keep it up, and thanks for the comment in my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

NeonDuck's sketchbook: even more stuff!

even more stuff!

I try to do a few drawings each day, and with my laziness in updating... well it accumulates. The "scan and upload" pile on my desk seems to get bigger every day

Porg: you're right, I hardly ever do "finished" pieces with characters. probably because I don't feel confident enough to sink 3 days into a single character drawing yet... but you got a good point, I should take that leap!

Thanks everyone for the comments, I was hoping for some criticism as well - otherwise I'll never improve! so let's hear it! tell me things you hate about these!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya i like ur wide range of subject matter, probably the fastest way to improve is not to get locked into 1 subject. as blonde beard said variations of line would help but GJ so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap......
    wow that took me by surprise. Damn your so good at those life studies.
    And you folio is amazing too. lol I thought my still lifes were good but damn yours are on a whole nother planet. Hope to see more!

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mad skillz yo! I like the painterly strokes and rhythm in many of your drawings. The rats and environments are super. I can see improvement in the life drawings, especially the last one. Some of the earlier ones look a little scratchy but for 10 minute poses that's understandable Can't wait to see more.

Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Loving those enviro renders, and all the studies. keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff man, glad to see your doing the right kind of studies, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sb! Love the environments a lot!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

NeonDuck's sketchbook: even even even more stuff!

And some more stuff yet again!

If you see a drop in quality it's because I've been trying to speed up and do some quick-ish gesture drawings. I can't seem to get too fast, because then I feel I'm just scribbling randomly and not learning anything. So this is as fast as it goes.

Hope this exposes some of my problems, so that you guys can tell me what they are

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

some new stuff, mostly life drawings

enjoy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great pencil!

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woooooooooow,...........amazing !!
    Indeed great pencil,....

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, keep up the drawing. I would really be careful about all the heavy edge lines, really try and work some feathering in there to break up the surface tension, implied lines can really add a lot to how a drawing reads with out having to stick in some values. Do you use a measuring stick while doing your life drawing? I don't use them for measuring but rather just checking alignments from one body part to another, they are really handy tools for just aligning everything and checking it really quick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more updates!

thanks for the kind words, guys

@Metal Fingers: thanks, that's actually what I'm noticing lately, I think a lot more about line weight and different ways to place lines to imply certain shapes without having to draw them out.
    I don't really use a measuring stick, but right at the start of a drawing I sometimes use my pencil to memorize the general dimensions. Then I try to refine them in blocking. I should probably start measuring angles a bit tho, I'll try that! thanks!

So here's the latest update. Wouldn't you believe it, the break was actually not because I was too lazy to draw, but TOO LAZY TO SCAN AND POST! Been drawing like crazy, including some studies from a book called FORCE, which is pretty cool for life drawing.

There's a bazillion drawings still to post (on average I fill about 3 pages a day), so I'll try to catch up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

updates!

and more stuff again, tryin to catch up with all the stuff I've drawn

as usual, critiques much appreciated. I can take it, so bring it on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit:
    Oh I just saw how long this post turned out. Well, it's a usefull one though. I have no regrets writing it!
    /Edit

So, occasionally I visit a skecthbook, look through it, and when I think I can say
    something usefull to the person drawing it (and to all other viewers!) I usually do. So
    here goes!
    First of all, your drawings are awesome! Those fully rendered b/w scenes (the
    gargoyle, the house with mouse, the car in the street) are just great, and it takes a
    lot of skill to be able to draw those. Also your anatomy seems to be very solid. Are
    those baseballplayers from imagination? If so, then they're extremely well done. If not,
    then they're still well done.

But there's more. Just browsing through your sketchbook I noticed one thing: you only
    use pencil. Trying different materials can really improve the way you draw in
    unexpected ways, you can learn things about pencil drawing from using acrylics and
    things about pastel from charcoal. Mix it up a little, trying different methods teaches
    you not only how to use those different methods but also the underlying principles
    those methods have in common, such as composition and rhytm.

And there's more: Those different methods such as acrylic, pastel and digital use color,
    and they teach you how to use color. Your b/w drawings are great, but the world
    doesn't care too much about b/w. The world (generally) wants color. I know, you're
    using color in your portfolio. But you're not practicing it in your sketchbook and it
    shows in your folio. It has good color, but not great color. Find a book about color
    theory, study it and practice it in your daily sketch-regimen, with various methods like
    acrylic and digital! (And when you do find a good book about color theory, could you
    let me know? I have no idea which ones are good.)

And more still: I believe you're doing something a lot of people do, and it is not a very
    good thing to do often. Are you drawing from photographs? Your folio (and sketchbook)
    are suggesting that you do. The drawings resulting from that look always great, much
    better then when drawn from life, but they're a bad habit.
    When drawing a concept (which is our endgame), you come up with something in your
    mind, place it in a good position in your mind and find a good viewpoint, in your mind.
    The only way your mind can do this is if it can think of your concept as three
    dimensional. This is difficult for the mind to do and must be practiced. Next you have
    to translate this 3D-object to a 2D-one, namely the picture on your piece of paper, by
    using your hand and pencil. The translation from 3D to 2D is also difficult and must also
    be practiced. Now if you draw from a photograph, then this translation from 3D to 2D
    has already been done, by the camera! It doesn't teach you anymore how to do this, it
    teaches you how to become a Xerox machine!
    Note that the pro's often do use photo's as reference, but they're using it different
    then we do: They gather a lot of photo's of a single subject (or idea, or mood), then
    quickly, as a warm-up, draw some direct-copies of them. After that they start with the
    real deal: drawing the subject in a position different than it appears on the photo's,
    using the photo's to figure out what it would look like in this new position. Why would
    they do this? Because if they didn't they'd be restricted to using only the positions on
    the photo's, which would in general not be ideal for the scene they are drawing! By
    transcending the direct copying, they can imagine the ideal position the subject must
    take to make their scene work! Loomis summed this up in the following short sentence:
    "You are not a meat camera!"
    Now I'm not saying that you can't do this 3D-imagining and 3D-to-2D-translation,
    because I think you can and much better than me, I think your life-drawing class has
    taught you that. But I also think that you're not as good at it as you could be. Stop
    drawing directly from photo's and instead start drawing from life, it teaches you the
    above things.
    If instead all of the above drawings are not direct copies form photo's but instead
    from life, then I've said nothing and will now be spending the remainder of the day
    trying to find where the hell my jaw dropped.

As a last remark: One drawing I especially like is the drawing of the girl with the
    umbrella in the post of feb. 22nd. Can't quite put my finger on why I like it,
    but...maybe it has to do with her being placed offcentre, creating suspense on the
    right side, that which lies ahead of her. Also the way her pants curve back near her
    calves works great, like she's erecting herself completely to bring her full attention to
    the umbrella.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Feel free to use what you like or ignore what you think
    is wrong. We all try.

Last edited by Kelp; April 25th, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Wir sind Helden

Sketchybookuh!
    Do you live near AMSTERDAM? Then join our SKETCHMEETS!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelp View Post
    Edit:
    Oh I just saw how long this post turned out. Well, it's a usefull one though. I have no regrets writing it!
    /Edit

And more still: I believe you're doing something a lot of people do, and it is not a very
    good thing to do often. Are you drawing from photographs? Your folio (and sketchbook)
    are suggesting that you do. The drawings resulting from that look always great, much
    better then when drawn from life, but they're a bad habit.
    When drawing a concept (which is our endgame), you come up with something in your
    mind, place it in a good position in your mind and find a good viewpoint, in your mind.
    The only way your mind can do this is if it can think of your concept as three
    dimensional. This is difficult for the mind to do and must be practiced. Next you have
    to translate this 3D-object to a 2D-one, namely the picture on your piece of paper, by
    using your hand and pencil. The translation from 3D to 2D is also difficult and must also
    be practiced. Now if you draw from a photograph, then this translation from 3D to 2D
    has already been done, by the camera! It doesn't teach you anymore how to do this, it
    teaches you how to become a Xerox machine!

To overcome this just draw from photos or from life ALWAYS thinking of forms rather than contours, in other words the only way to learn to draw from imagination is to draw from life the way you do from imagination.
    I can see that you've got some great gestures, man those drawings are alive and those forms are coming along nicely
    keep it up I've got nothing else to add

29. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more updates

another update! playin catch up with my pile of unscanned drawings!

still a ways to go, I've been drawing 2-3 pages a day lately!

@Kelp: Many many thanks for the post, I'll leave a longer reply in your sketchbook

everyone else: bring it on, tell me where I suck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW, I really love your pencil style, so clean and crisp. I love your line-weight and the way you use tone and the white of the paper, your hatching too. It is so awesome to see how hard you are working too.

Inspirational!

Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap your pencil renderings and lines are amazing! I don't know how you keep the lines so clean and detailed. I also like the sense of motion and gesture in your figure studies. I don't know of any critiques to give you, but maybe you could do more studies of faces because it seems most of the time you just suggest the face with a cross, but don't draw the features. Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6