Please Help: *update* OZ Concept help- Right side looks boring, ideas? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Please Help: *update* OZ Concept help- Right side looks boring, ideas?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet update, but what happaned to the composition, why did you crop it?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one thought...... Dorothy does look like she's about to fall off the lion.....

You mentioned earlier that you wanted a kind of side saddle pose. This is more of a sitting sideways pose.

If you want side saddle, her left leg should be more folded up a little in front and she should be facing the way the lion is facing. I know there isn't an acctual saddle, but side saddles work because they have a little thing at the front to hook that leg around; otherwise sideways is a very unstable way to sit on anything moving by itself.

If you wanted sideways like she is now, it might be an idea to move her a little further over onto the lion so she looks a little less likely to slide off.

Just a thought.

This is ace, love the lion. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my gosh, this is coming along so nicely! The concept is brilliant and the picture is great. I can't wait to see the final work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Palvel - not to worry, it is not cropped for good, I just wanted to focus on the characters for a bit.

Kittin - so comp wise I would need to move Dorothy up and to the left a bit? she is on her own layer but i do not not want re-draw her.

Brian - thanks for the encouragement.

The crow is nearly finished with new highlights and the shadows are tweaked as good as I want to get. I need to figure out why Dorothy is standing out, perhaps its a lighting thing. or maybe her edges are too hard

Visit my Portfolio

My Book Illustrations : A Children's book in progress that follows a young Raptor. Take a look, let me know what you think.

Inkblot Robots daily rampage!

~la bonne nuit ma colombe, Oui?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope you don't mind, I did a quck cut & paste paintover, up and to the right a bit. Please feel free to not if you think it looks better ^_^

Name:  Oztestover.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  186.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Palvel - not to worry, it is not cropped for good, I just wanted to focus on the characters for a bit.
    Hahaha, even on the internet people can't get my name right!

Kitten, what changes have you made? It looks good, but I'm not aware of the differences yet. Partly because I have to go back to the previous page and look at a really large image file

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's only a tiny difference, just moved dorothy a little up and right so she's not sliding off the side of the lion. Probably wouldn't notice it unless you had the two side by side. Just looks a little more stable to me ^_^

Name:  ozcompare.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  130.7 KB

Last edited by Kitten Poker; August 6th, 2010 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The tin man's leg and the lions tail edges are following allong with each other. Maybe move him in or out a bit. The fatter knee on the tin man looks lil weird.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I moved her closer, kitty, and also shrunk her about 10% she is now closer to the size of the crow which makes the lion look that much larger.

zaorr - I reworked the leg a little bit. moving the tin mad is tricky because his other leg is broken and i am trying to hide it, too far away and the group wont have that "unit" look, ill see what I can do, that tangent has been troublesome for a while now.

I put in new grass and smoothed the clouds, looks a lot better, I am going to focus on the background for a bit before working on toto and the demon monkeys.

haha, sorry **Pavel**, if it makes your feel better my last name is "Vigil" and people always make it "virgil", and i am like "common guys, its a word in our own language!"

Visit my Portfolio

My Book Illustrations : A Children's book in progress that follows a young Raptor. Take a look, let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    **Update** finished Toto!

Visit my Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Looks cool so far. But her face is wonky! (Dunno if this has been brought up yet) I think the eyes look too big, the nose too small, and her head is bit too big in general. I'm no anatomy expert, just going by how it feels to me. Haha. Try something like this:

(what do you think?)

PS. Lovee the colors you've going on. Really great.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK people! I am at the final run of this pictures and I need some elements to go on the left side, it is sparse and really bland. It needs some large shapes to make it interesting. Ideas folks?

Oh, and for the person who suggested feathers falling out, that was a good idea.

ereya - thank you for the face help, I have been working a long time to fix her face. It is supposed to be a bit cartoonish but it walks the line. I will try fudging with it along the lines you set. any others have comments on her face?

Visit my Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why did you want her to have a cartoonish face? I assume you were going for a CG-pixar-animation-y feel in that case? I think if you want her to read as cartoonish, you should exaggerate her body proportions as well; otherwise it looks awkward.

In any case, I think her face looks alright when it's scaled down like that. The eyes still look a liiitttle too far up on the face, but they'll pass.

Ummm and I hope you pull the road/grass out of focus a little sooner. Seems too detailed too far back. And add some of that pretty purple/blue shadow to the grass and trees too! They look a bit flat in comparison.

Woohoo gettin there!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    OK people! I am at the final run of this pictures and I need some elements to go on the left side, it is sparse and really bland. It needs some large shapes to make it interesting. Ideas folks?
    How about a big dark tree (no leaves) or a sign post? Just a thought ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oo, you are right ereya, here eyes are way too north. That might be the fix! I will also put some blue into the grass, good Idea.

Kitten - like just a big trunk?

Visit my Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How does this look now? still need work?

Visit my Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh okay, definitely getting better!! But I see you're still holding on to that big eyes/small nose thing, which really isn't necessary. Now that I have my tablet, I can do a quick paintover to give you some more ideas. (Ugh seems kind of a waste since all this detail will be lost in the scaled version anyways. But it's for learning, right? LOL.)

Main things:
    EYES: just shrink em... XD
    NOSE: looks kind of thin and papery, know what I mean? See if you can create more form by giving the base more substance.
    SHADOWS: look kinda harsh in places, especially the one under the chin. It makes her head look almost detached. I softened it in parts, and added more where the hair is interacting w/ the skin.
    HAIR: Looks flat! Beef it up w/ bolder highlights and shadows. And DON'T go by what I did, lol. I didn't do any research on how red hair reflects light, etc. I just made this shit up so it's prolly very wronnggg. But you can see it's already got more PHWUHHH!!

Oh, and shrink the head? Just a little? Pwease?

Hmm hopefully this helps a little. I'm def not an expert, so feel free to question what I've said/painted, or ask me a question, lol. Goood luck!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ereya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking with maybe one or two branches with twigs reaching out at them like claw-y fingers....... like they are about to go into an unfreindly wood thing? You don't even need to show that much of the trunck (width wise). Again, just a thought. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ereya that is sweet! Very well done! I kinda wish I got a paintover from you on my metro 2033 piece I am working on.

Anyways, Raptor, you gotta go with that paintover, it is brilliant. No need to inject cartoonish vibes in places where it can be avoided I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.