Sketchbook: mah drawrings
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: mah drawrings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mah drawrings

hi all, so here is the obligatory first post where i say, "well im not really sure what to put here... etc, so on, etc". Anyway, i am 29yo and have spent my entire life admiring the art of others. i have always loved art, especially graphic stuff like comics, cartoons etc. and have always wanted to create my own but didn't think that i had the ability. well i have finally had enough, this is me conquering my self doubt and just putting it out there. I have lurked quite a few art forums and have found this place to be full of people who work hard and love what they do. i admire you all. well i love this stuff too, and i've got a "crap-ton" of work ahead of me, so i think this is the place i need to be. so here i go...
    tldr: mah drawrings...

First up, some stuff from loomis' "fun with a pencil". this is a composite from work done in November, that is when i started.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by PermaN00b; February 20th, 2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice cartoon drawing. It's a good practice on facial structure, head perspective, and facial expressions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from january. i have been working through the book, "drawing on the ride side of the brain", so some of this is excercises from that book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Zerdron! ya loomis definately got me started in a good direction. i still haven't finished that book but i plan to get back to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so looking at this i realize that the first few things i posted were kinda huge. I have scaled the following images down a bit, hopefully ive scaled them enough. anyway, here are some hands that i've done. been working on hands quite a bit lately. a large majority of them come from bridgman. also, negative space drawing of a chair. These are all from january.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hands in the last post are pretty good, especially that grey one.

One problem is that you seem to be drawing then as if the knuckles are all level, which they're not and it's making the hands look a bit off.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scimok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks scimok, i know what you mean about the hands. they are still to, smooth? if that's the right word. the fingers are still too much like cylinders. here are some more recent ones, they are all from this month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so here is what i've been working on last night and this afternoon. I know that it still needs work, but honestly i think i need to take a break from this one for a little while. i've already got a few hours into it. i really stink at values...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hands improved a lot, one thing though, i think what PermaNoob meant was that the knuckles are all in one line. Where in a hand they are placed in a arc, when you look right on top of you're own hand you will see that the knuckle of the pinkey is lower than the ringfingers knuckle and the middlefinger knuckle is the highest placed. If you can follow me XD

Like the last portrait anatomy looks really good, fear and loathing or maybe not ?

Grts!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fullmetaljacket For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fullmetaljacket, i see exactly what you mean now about the knuckles. as soon as i read your post i looked at my hand and definately had a *derp* moment. how could i not have noticed how prominent the arc of the knuckles is!? thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for the self bump, but i forgot in the last post @fullmetaljacket the portrait is actually Gustave Coubet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sigh* so, more bridgman, more hands... i am feeling like a giant bag of suck right now. maybe i am over-thinking or something i dunno... anyway here they are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wowww! love the joy and work load going on here, nice!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to congadingsda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a quick update. these are what i did today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love these. Definitely like where it's going =).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Blondebeard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i didn't update yesterday. was running errands and had no time to sketch. i did buy my first moleskine though, so hopefully ill have some pages from it to upload soon... till then here is what i've done so far this evening. just more hands. (i am getting a bit tired of drawing hands). also, i found these two pics that i did a while ago. they were done in illustrator using the gradient mesh too. it was a painstaking process. basically i just traced the flowers with the pen too and then created about a bazillion meshes for each. (sometimes up to four per petal) really i just wanted to see how far i could take the gradient mesh tool. anyway, here they are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last post before i call it a night. here is my epic failure at a rendered anatomy attemp. it isn't finished but i've gotta get some sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posemaniacs from tonight. god i suck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your hands look very solid and natural. That Horse and Rider, and the Igor Stravinsky copy from Edwards' book is way better than what I once did.
    Also, your digital painting of Gustav Corbet looks better than the original one by the man himself (I'm a fan of digital)

We're both geezers, but you're ahead of me in skills, so let's finish the journey.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon_OND wow! thank you for the compliments! though i don't know if i deserve them, lol. ya i definately wish i would have started this journey earlier in life. but like you said, we are both here now so lets do this!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heyo Perma! Really glad to hear you're going for what you really want to do, really strong by you. There's no age limit to art, as you know. Look at Paul Gauguin, he was a banker untill he turned 30 and started studying art. He's a really good example of someone following their dreams.

You're really a good hard worker, it will very well pay off in the end! I really like the man in hat smoking a pipe, values are hard and I still struggle to unravel it, do more value studies - especially from photos and you'll get a better understanding of it all. Everyone is "bad" in the beginning which can be a bit demotivating and especially when one realise that they gotta do lots of studies to progress, I have been there and still is there, but you will start seeing progress. Just don't let it get you down and look towards the bright feature laying ahead of you!

About your art, I see you've made lots of hand-drawings. You should simplify it a bit more to understand the form and measurements better. I see some Loomis and Bridgeman hands in there if I am not misstaken, just don't forget to draw from mind, in different angles, in different poses of the hand - and you can also draw off a drawing Bridgeman made of a hand, but imagine it from a different angle and draw that, this will challenge your skills and you'll learn a lot faster then just copying the bridgeman drawing. And imo you should also do traditional pen and paper aswell as digital.

Good luck on your journey, I am looking forward seeing you progress! Keep it up! Oh and don't forget to have fun, draw something you want to draw aswell, wheter it be orcs, tanks or animals. All work and no fun makes one a dull boy.

Last edited by LORD M; February 26th, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i haven't updated in a few days, i had house guest all last week and through the weekend. so i didn't have any time to sit down and draw. so here is what i have from tonight. honestly i am feeling like a total turd. i was just having a REALLY hard time tonight and couldn't get my head around what i was doing. feeling very frustrated. maybe it's because of all the time without drawing over the last couple of days. i also feel really crappy and guilty about that. but it was kinda unavoidable... i just feel like with all the hands i've been doing i should be getting better at them, arrrgghhhh! anyway here they are...

LordM wow thanks for the great comments! i sure needed the encouragement after tonights frustration. i am gonna take your advice and try to simplify and concentrate on the forms. i can really see how i NEED to do that after the way that i was struggling this evening. i definately haven't begun to grasp that yet. so thank you, maybe i am feeling stuck a bit because i didn't know other ways that i could be practicing. i really appreciate the advice. i also bought a moleskine so i will be carrying that with me. so hopefully i will have some traditional media updates soon as well. you are right, i need to do some stuff for ME. but i get intimidated when i try to start a picture because i know what i like but im just not good enough to get the results that i want. i guess i just need to push through it. thanks again for the advice.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaN00b View Post
    honestly i am feeling like a total turd. i was just having a REALLY hard time tonight and couldn't get my head around what i was doing. feeling very frustrated. maybe it's because of all the time without drawing over the last couple of days. i also feel really crappy and guilty about that. but it was kinda unavoidable... i just feel like with all the hands i've been doing i should be getting better at them, arrrgghhhh! anyway here they are...
    LOL, that's what happens when you didn't draw for a couple of days. Mood starts getting cranky, temper gets bad, huge guilt sets in etc.

Btw, your hands are so full of win!
    Hopefully, my hands will start looking like yours in another years time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    honestly i am feeling like a total turd. i was just having a REALLY hard time tonight and couldn't get my head around what i was doing. feeling very frustrated. maybe it's because of all the time without drawing over the last couple of days. i also feel really crappy and guilty about that. but it was kinda unavoidable... i just feel like with all the hands i've been doing i should be getting better at them, arrrgghhhh! anyway here they are...
    LOL, that's what happens when you didn't draw for a couple of days. Mood starts getting cranky, temper gets bad, huge guilt sets in etc.

Btw, your hands are so full of win!
    Hopefully, my hands will start looking like yours in another years time.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is an update from tonight. more hands of course. these are all mostly from imagination though. i tried to take Lord M's advice and just draw from my mind and focus more on the forms and shapes of the hand. it was def a good exercise, i need to do it more. took me a while to get warm but then it got a bit easier.

Xeon thanks again for the great compliment! most of the hands are from bridgman. i would definately suggest his stuff. LOL just draw about a bazillion hands out of his books and yours will look just like mine in no time! lol. im looking forward to your next update btw.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Xeon thanks again for the great compliment! most of the hands are from bridgman. i would definately suggest his stuff. LOL just draw about a bazillion hands out of his books and yours will look just like mine in no time! lol. im looking forward to your next update btw.
    LOL Ok, I'm gonna print out some of his anatomy pages and start copying them.
    Seems that you've already gotten past the hurdle of drawing imaginary hands, and since hands are always said to be the hardest part of the figure, you've passed the hurdle and the rest is cheese.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a quick update. this is a page out of my sketchbook from today. more hands, again these are done from imagination. just trying to get more familiar playing around with the shapes. i know the pic sucks, i took it with my phone. i have a camera but it's a nikon coolpix and it sucks even worse than my phone, sorry...

40. The Following User Says Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i said to myself, "self, why don't you take a little break from all of the hands you've been doing. with all that loomis you did a little while ago you ought to be able whip out some loomis style faces from imagination..." WRONG!!! fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail!!!!! so here's a page of fail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i said to myself, "self, why don't you take a little break from all of the hands you've been doing. with all that loomis you did a little while ago you ought to be able whip out some loomis style faces from imagination..." WRONG!!! fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail!!!!! so here's a page of fail.
    Keep at it, pal! Those Loomis faces drawn from your imagination is good. Not as good as Loomis's (of course :p), but very good!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.