Ilya Repin St.Petersburg State Academy of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Ilya Repin St.Petersburg State Academy of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lena,

- "Khamid Savkuev is not a good sculptor or not a good draughtsman?"

I was saying that Savkuev is as excellent in his sculpture as he is excellent in his drawing and painting. And he became so great in sculpture because he's a professional draftsman.

- "that does not mean he won't be as good of a sculptor eventually"

I've written about this earlier. His entire sculpture collection (regional theme) was acquired by the State Russian Museum (for those who don't know - it's the place that keeps works of our great Russian artists from Rublev icons to Malevich square).

Again, my point was that it's easier to become a sculptor if you're a good draftsman, but not another way around.

- "Michelangelo was a pretty "OK" draughtsman, to say the least"

I think Michelangelo was a GENIOUS draftsman, one of the best draftsman in the history. His level of drawing shown in monumental works is something that couldn't be reached by anyone yet.
    -------

Ator,

- "Just curious, are there any available images of the sculpture dept. at Repin Academy?"

This question has been asked by many Russian students in that group.
    I know they plan to post an album, but I don't know when.
    For sure, there will be something new in spring/summer due to Evaluation and Diploma exhibitions at all faculties.
    But I hope to post something here quite soon.

Last edited by Book Guru; February 20th, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
    www.4-art.org - art educational books
    www.Practicum.org - art educational portal
    guru@4-art.org - my direct e-mail
    Russian Academy of Arts thread - all about it

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Book Guru:

"Michelangelo was a pretty "OK" draughtsman, to say the least" - I was being sarcastic.

For those who interested in the Surikov Institute:
    I looked at the album devoted to Surikov Institute on the Russian vkontakte.ru sight and felt bad for them. Not good stuff, so here are some works by another acquaintance of mine and a Surikov Institute graduate, Sergej Eilanbekov. He was born in 1960 and emigrated to the US in 1989. He has a website easily found if you google his name. By the way, he teaches drawing at a college in Long Island.

Attached Images Attached Images                

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lena murray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This question has been asked by many Russian students in that group.
    I know they plan to post an album, but I don't know when.
    For sure, there will be something new in spring/summer due to Evaluation and Diploma exhibitions at all faculties.
    But I hope to post something here quite soon.

cool, I can't wait to see the sculpture work. I'd potentially like to pursue both painting and sculpture in my life...not actually sure of my major at this time.

Also, I started a sketchbook, only drawings at this time, I would really appreciate hearing your opinion on my prospects of being accepted were i to apply to the prep program (bearing in mind that I would have at least another 2 years of experience)

whoops, by the way this is ator in his gfs account

Last edited by santoke; February 20th, 2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: wrong account

6. The Following User Says Thank You to santoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ator-Santoke,

(a nice avatar, btw!)

I'd go with numbers 6, 7, 12 (counting from top). I'm not really a fun of #12, it's too much like a photo, but at least that is quite a finished piece.
    But you need more works...
    Portrait, Still-life... What about oil? Never tried that?
    Your sketchbook is one page only, man... again, you need more than that.

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the cast drawing...I know they avoid this "optical" approach to drawing in the Russian system, which is primarily why I'm interested in it. However, for application to the prep program, would it be a bad idea to submit such drawings?

to clarify, none of those drawings so far would be part of a portfolio...i have two more years, which would effectively almost double my experience. I hope my work will have improved by that time. Unfortunately, at this time, all of my recent painting work is in the hands of my professors, I may have some old figure paintings on my computer, I'll see. I'll also try to find some heads. I'll continue to post in the sketchbook, that's just what I had available last night, mostly master copies.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im thinking of applying for the prep course and have read most of this thread but would appreciate people input regarding the likely costs. 5000 euros for tuition plus say $300 a month rent if sharing, plus say another $400 a month for food/bills ect. does this sound reasonable or am i totally underestimating? thanks for reading

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gtf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ator,

In such case I misunderstood. By some reason I thought you were planning to apply for a prep course this year.
    Two years is a lot of time for improving your art skills.

- "would it be a bad idea to submit such drawings?"
    If you were applying now, this would be considered your "best" drawing.
    But if you plan to apply in 2 years, I'd say - NEVER submit anything that looks like a photograph or was copied from a photograph. That's not for the Academy.

I only wish you had good plaster casts there. At present, you mostly use photos and scans as models for your drawings. But you also need cast drawings, life drawings, still life drawings, etc. You can't concentrate on something in particular, you need to study them all.

Keep us updated on new arrivals to your sketchbook, please. I'll be checking that for sure, to give you a hard time...
    -------

gtf,

5,000 euro - correct
    $300 rent if sharing - correct
    $400 - seems like enough. My comments on this part:

I don't think you'll ever pay over $100/month for your bills. That includes your phone, electricity, heat, gas, water, etc.
    So now we have $300/month left for food. That's definitely enough if you're not after "foie gras topped with truffles" (though I personally like it very much)...
    There are really nice, cozy, and even sophisticated places here where you can have your lunch for 250 rubles ($8.50). And I don't think you need this every day.
    Average meal at the Academy cafe is about 150 rubles ($5.00).
    Cereal and apple for breakfast, lunch at the Academy, dinner/supper at some friend's place...

And then - BAAAANG!!! New Year Eve!!! Here comes your foie gras !!!
    (at least once a year you can afford it)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only wish you had good plaster casts there. At present, you mostly use photos and scans as models for your drawings. But you also need cast drawings, life drawings, still life drawings, etc. You can't concentrate on something in particular, you need to study them all.

actually, that is a drawing from life, from an actual plaster cast. it looks "photographic" because of the approach generally taught in the west, optical, shape/tone copying as opposed to actual comprehension. That's why I'm interested in the Russian system, I want to understand what I draw. I primarily draw and paint from life, but right now, my prof has most of my recent work. the reason for all the master copies is to compensate for the lack of model time at my school. But I wouldn't submit those drawings in a portfolio. Sorry for the confusion

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ator,

No, please don't apologize! That's me who got confused, though you've mentioned in that post specifically that you have 2 more years... (let's just both stop apologizing for now, ok?)

I didn't refer to #12, that is obviously was done from the cast. I was talking about those copies of master drawings that you make from books. Since most of them are the same kind, I recommended to not concentrate too much on this type of drawing. Again, real still-life and portraits - easy to find and excellent for practice. And avoid bad plaster casts, they hurt your drawing comprehension even more.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like a chance to see the Academy before I (hypothetically!) go - book guru, when would be a good time to visit?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Liz Edwards For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liz,

I guess the best time is going at the end of May - beginning of June.
    There are Diploma exhibitions that you can visit and the Academy is not closed for vacation yet, so you can visit some workshops.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Book Guru View Post
    Liz,

I guess the best time is going at the end of May - beginning of June.
    There are Diploma exhibitions that you can visit and the Academy is not closed for vacation yet, so you can visit some workshops.
    Okay, cool! Thank you

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Liz Edwards For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Russian Academy of Florence on Gurney's Blog, with some of the same drawings I see used with the Repin Academy
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...ssian-art.html.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to threecharles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Threecharles,

You can see the same drawings at about hundreds of other blogs, websites, and even books - printed in China - without any permission from the students of our Academy.

Most of the works by Chubirko can be seen in our album Academic Drawings and Sketches, the 2nd edition is about to be sent to the printing house.

I've mentioned earlier and this is also discussed in that blog - the Florence school has no connections with our Academy. Many graduates and postgraduates teach at the Academy's prep courses and in other parts of the world, but it's not the same (very much not the same) as to teach within the Academy.

I understand why they place Chubirko's works for advertising their programs. Though these drawings are 10 years old, this is the only way for them to get in viewer's mind being associated with our Academy. It's pitty.

Funny things happen though... As I said, I find the same images from our book at other blogs and on Facebook. But they're not taken from our book directly but from Chinese reprints. So some of our models in those posts are called "Chinese Girl"... I can only imagine a reaction of that girl when she finds out she is Chinese...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I was the one who mentioned they weren't connected. Also, gave some information I have learned from you and Lena. It is fantastic that the interest in traditional art is growing.

On a side note: I found out today that Ilya Repin was a vegetarian.

Last edited by threecharles; March 2nd, 2011 at 08:09 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to threecharles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "It is fantastic that the interest in traditional art is growing."

YESSS!!!

(don't know about Repin, but Tolstoy had plenty of meat prior to become a vegetarian in old age... well, that's for another topic)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im interested in applying for the prep course this year. Wehn is the deadline to submit a portfolio? TIA

34. The Following User Says Thank You to gtf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

to gtf

gtf: there is no deadline really, but I would do it as soon as possible. If they accept you they will send you your official invitation in May-June, at least that's how they did before last year with the Danish students. Then it can take a few months for you to get your student visa with the Russian consulate because you need to get lots of paperwork and also get a medical exam, if I am not mistaken.

To generate your official invitation for the Academy representative it takes about one month, sometimes longer.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to lena murray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gtf,

The deadline is the end of April.
    But sooner you submit the better. I recommend sending your works now.
    You can send them to my e-mail, as I'm authorized by the Academy to gather all the material from applicants and then bringing it all together to the Department of Foreign Education for review.
    Just please make sure your portfolio is compressed (archived) and not exceeds 5meg.

Please, do not do anything about your visa yet.
    You won't need a student visa, you need a tourist visa.
    Tourist visa is quite easy to get, and you'll need to request the longest stay, which at this time is 30 days.
    I wrote about this earlier - in October the Academy exchanges your tourist visa to student visa, together with all other applicants, there is no charge for it.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys,

There is another excellent article that has just been published at Practicum.org.

It's all about ANATOMY.

Highly recomment to check this out.
    (Just remind you, translation button is in the left bottom)

The article is written by the Academy's guru, professor Manasherov.
    He is the best at teaching anatomy there.
    All images were taken with his permission from the exhibition of his students' works, recently opened at the Academy.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys,

There is another excellent article that has just been published at Practicum.org.

It's all about ANATOMY.

Highly recomment to check this out.
    (Just remind you, translation button is in the left bottom)

The article is written by the Academy's guru, professor Manasherov.
    He is the best at teaching anatomy there.
    All images were taken with his permission from the exhibition of his students' works, recently opened at the Academy.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any chance those anatomy teachers ever do a video?

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hyskoa,

We're working on it.

The problem is that Amazon and Aperture don't want to send those great cameras any place outside of the US. There is one particular camera that we all want to get. But I don't plan to travel there in the nearest future, so we search for options.
    When this is solved, we'll have our first video available. I promise. Short clips will be available for free, for complete video we'll charge a certain fee.

Names on the list:
    - Mogilevtsev
    - Petrov
    - Blokhin
    - Manasherov

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are those cameras available in Europe ?

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Eew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eew,

Yes, they're available in Russia and Europe.
    But the price...!!
    Pretty much everything in the US is a bargain.
    In Europe these cameras (we consider either Sony or Panasonic) are 25-40% higher, in Russia it's double (we have very high customs commissions).

If we won't get it somehow from the US within a month, I plan to buy it in April when I'm in London. At least will be less expensive than in St.Pete.

(and I shouldn't write anything off topic here... I'm sorry.)

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lena/book guru - the comment of needing a medical exam has got me a bit worried. i have an ongoing condition (ulcerative colitus) which i take medication for. is this likely to be a problem or is the medical just routine?

52. The Following User Says Thank You to gtf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gtf,

First things first.
    You need to submit your works for evaluation.
    They also ask to send a copy of your passport along with it.

If they find your works to be appropriate, they send you an invitation.
    Then you can apply for your tourist visa at the nearest Russian Consulate.

But all official paperwork, the payment (it's paid here in St.Pete, at the local bank), all this happens in October - after your exam evaluation. I wrote about this earlier.

Exam usually happens during first days of October. If everythine is ok, they take your tourist visa, your application, you go to the local bank and pay. And by the end of October you get your student visa.

I've never heard about a medical examination. If this is your concern, I'll double check. But as long as the Academy takes care of all the paperwork for you, I don't think you should worry too much about this.
    Medical conditions... As long as you have at least one eye and one hand - I don't see a problem. Sorry for a bit of black Russian humor...

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, the only thing close to a medical exam I've heard of is that if you are staying over 90 days, you need to get tested for HIV. I don't know how this works if you enter on a 30 day tourist visa and get it changed to student, though.

56. The Following User Says Thank You to Liz Edwards For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liz, gtf,

I'll check on this shortly. Again, I don't think you need to worry too much about it.
    If you do this on your own then there might be some difficulties.
    But as long as the Academy is taking care of it, you're fine.

Btw, I forgot to mention...
    Many foreigners who live in St.Petersburg (or just visit it), especially those from the US and Europe, find that we have warm houses and apartments, very well heated.
    Of course, if it gets very hot inside you can always open windows. And you'll see it quite often in the city: -15C outside and windows open. Weird. But you get very comfy inside.

58. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Book Guru, thanks for all of your answers and help.

How does one get admitted to the workshop of religious and historical painting?

I want to learn to be an expert draftsman (I want to learn anatomy extremely well) but I am really intrigued with Religious icons as well. The Pieta and Christ Pantocrator are equally beautiful in their own rights.

I am just beginning my studies and that is one of the few schools I have found that has a religious painting department.

60. The Following User Says Thank You to Ad Fundum For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 61