Ilya Repin St.Petersburg State Academy of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture - Page 17
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if this is the right area for this but, i bought the English version of the fundamentals of drawing which has fantastic information in but some of the pictures are low resolution and pixelated, is this just for the e-book version? For the price (£10) its an absolute steal will recommend it to the students at lavender hill.

Chrisx

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Mane,

I guess it's ok to ask as this is about teaching aids recommended by our Academy.

Yes, low res is only because of copyright issues, all our books is a piracy nightmare.
    The real publication is a big size, matte paper, all the images are of the highest quality possible.

In any case, it's all sold out, we're expecting to receive the 2nd edition in about 1-2 weeks. I have a couple of copies on my desk, can send you the one if it's urgent.

Btw, we've updated some of the images in the 2nd edition, the quality will be even better (I mean the reproductions from our museums).

Thank you for your kind words about this book.
    I'm proud to tell you that the list of schools who purchase our teaching aids for their students is growing: Angel Academy, Florence Academy of Art, Russian Academy of Arts (Florence), Studio Incamminati (USA)... Let me hope the Lavender Hill will join the group! We offer really generous discounts and free delivery to all schools and libraries worldwide.

www.4-art.org - art educational books
    www.Practicum.org - art educational portal
    guru@4-art.org - my direct e-mail
    Russian Academy of Arts thread - all about it

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Everyone,

The Summer School program is now official !!!

Here is the link to the website.

Here is the link to the catalog.

Here is the link to its official thread on ConceptArt.org.

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Book Guru for this great thread. I want to try and save up for the next time the Academy has the summer program. In the mean time I had some questions, like the anatomy training of the students at the academy. They use real/accurate replica skeletons right? But do they also still use books for understanding the skeletal structure? Also, what does they academies compositional training entail, is it like studying the masters work or studying design principles or something else? Sorry if my questions are worded poorly and thank you in advance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Book Guru! I just recently found out about this and realize the deadline is pretty much right now. I need to do a couple more paintings for my portfolio which shouldn't take too long, maybe a week.

Also I have never travelled out of the US, would it be okay if I sent my passport as soon as I got it? Or should I wait until I have my passport to send you anything?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Squidge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KT,

Sorry for my late reply, by some reason I didn't receive a notification on your post to my e-mail.

Yes, the Academy has a unique "Anatomy Cabinet", which is there since 1780s. It has a collection of all the skeletons and bones that you'll ever need to study. Besides, they have old masters copies and anatomy studies by students of previous centuries.

Yes, they use the books, but the Academy doesn't (ever!) enforce any particular books on their students. So most choose whatever they feel more comfortable with.
    Many students still prefer Bammes, some - Barchai. In any case, most material they study during class, so they use books for references only, mostly for home studies.

Composition is not the strongest point of contemporary students. During Evaluations you can see it quite clearly, unfortunately. Most of the time they come up to this intuitively, or by trial of errors. There is no a good book on composition, this doesn't help either. (btw, Mogilevtsev is working on it now... we hope to have the "final" book on art fundamentals in 2013 - "Fundamentals of Composition".)

~~~

Squidge,

Actually, the deadline is really knocking at the door. At the International Department they told me they must have all the passports ready by April 16 - in order to submit it to the Department of Visas and Registration. It's for those who plan to attend the June program. For those who want to attend in July the deadline is until May 10.

In any case, I recommend to all - don't wait and send your works ASAP. We review everything we receive. And if what we see is not good - we either say to wait until the next year (in order to study and to prepare a good portfolio), or we ask for more samples.
    You don't risk anything. We've just accepted a Russian girl who sent only three works (she didn't have access to her computer and asked her boyfriend to send whatever he had).

We recommend to send your passport right away after our confirmation letter about your acceptance to the program.

Even those who plan to attend in July have to hurry up. At this time there is still a choice of hotels/hostels/apartments, but soon everything will be booked as the summer time is a tourist season, June and July are the most difficult months to get good deals on accommodations.

Beautiful city as it is, Saint Petersburg is extremely attractive during that season because of its unique White Nights... I love it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking about attending the prep course, actually! Like I said, I can send you my works pretty soon here but what I really need to know is do I need to pay the fee to get my passport fast (within 2 weeks) or would the normal wait time (4-6 weeks) be ok?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Squidge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, you have to be more specific when you ask questions, please...

We have:
    - Full-time program (6 years)
    - Prep Courses (1 year, October-May)
    - Summer School (4 weeks, June or July)

So just let me know what your question relates to and I'll do my best to provide the most detailed information I can get.

Squidge,

You still have time to order your passport a normal way. Just make sure you complete the whole process by the end of May.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you'd like to see the annual so called Exhibition of Professors at the Academy.
    It's open until April 22 and I want to share some photos from this event.

The album is located right here.

Name:  Blyok.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  211.0 KB

Name:  rug.jpg
Views: 2219
Size:  227.6 KB

Name:  Bystrov.jpg
Views: 2224
Size:  164.2 KB

Name:  madonna.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  137.6 KB

Name:  drawing.jpg
Views: 2254
Size:  164.9 KB

Name:  vase.jpg
Views: 2218
Size:  232.4 KB

Name:  beard.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  135.2 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    n3raz,

This is a thread dedicated to the Repin Art Institute (Russian Academy of Arts).
    I didn't hear anything related to the subject.

In any case, good luck with your fantasies, indeed.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought you might be interested in this.

VIDEO: REPIN INSTITUTE OF ARTS RECRUITS IN BEIJING

Attached Images Attached Images  

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello,

i've read through the thread and i don't want to repeat old news but i was wondering if it was possible to take the summer school for the two months or is there a limit to one month per person?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtywhirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pwwka,

I think you better read the tread dedicated to the Summer School, I'm going to update it from time to time and will also be posting images dedicated to studying there.

In regards of studying for two months, I guess it's up to you. Professors teaching there will be different for each month. We even plan having two different professor within one session: one will be teaching drawing, another one - painting.

If you plan to attend two months you need to be prepared that the studying process will be exactly the same. But I guess to improve your skills this might be a good idea as you'll be making more drawings and paintings. Besides each professor always makes different settings, so none of your drawings/paintings will look the same.

Also, I'll post information about visas (I'll copy this to the Summer School thread as well).
    There are four countries that have the most difficult time for getting visas (this goes vice versa for Russian citizens who apply for visas at these countries as well): USA, Canada, UK, Georgia.
    So if any of you are citizens of these countries (unless you have a dual citizenship like I do) then you better start your visa application process at least half a year before the School starts.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you BookGuru for answering my question. Next time i'll post in the proper thread :-D

28. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtywhirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrey Mylnikov (1919 - 2012) passed away today.

A great TEACHER, a Titan of the Russian art world, a person of incredible talent and exceptional organizational skills, a Vice President of the Russian Academy of Arts... died today at the age of 93.

He was a student of Igor Grabar (a student of Ilya Repin) and Victor Oreshnikov (a student of Petrov-Vodkin), he was a connection from a previous generation of professors to the next one. Many of his former students teach at the Academy now.

Not being officially in charge, however was a decision maker at the Academy for many decades. A Dean of the Painting Faculty, a person of unique charisma, Andrey Mylnikov will remain in the history of the Russian Academy and in the hearts of thousands of his grieving students.

Name:  Andrey_Mylnikov.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  Mylnikov_Bathers_1972.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  76.8 KB Name:  Mylnikov_Verochka_1963.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  Mylnikov_Verochka_Dream.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  181.4 KB Name:  Mylnikov_Verochka_at_work.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  25.3 KB

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Contact Information for the Ilya Repin Academy

Would anyone happen to have an email address for the Academy. I have been sending email and am getting no response. Have they recently update their information. I would like to get some more information about the program structure etc., you know the usual things people tend to ask before they do things.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to CECAT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CECAT,

I'm afraid I'm your only contact for any questions in regards of the Academy.
    It's a big secret but it seems like besides me the only other person who speaks English fluently there is the Academy provost, Semyon Mikhailovsky.

It's not the first time I receive complains about not getting any responses to e-mail letters.
    But the most peculiar thing is there is no one speaks English in the International Department of the Academy. And if you try to call them - they'll hang up.
    Just please don't ask me "why". This is the way how it goes there.

So whatever questions you have you can ask me here or send your inquiry to guru@4-art.org.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Great Academy

Book Guru,
    thank you for the great job on this important thread. I've red most of your helpful posts, and I would like to ask you some technical questions if it's ok, since you are the only English Speaker I know who can tell about the academy. I meant by "technical" those basic techniques tought in the academy I'm very curious about, since many painting masters worked there and each one has his special painting techniques, but don't worry it's really simple short questions about some tools (for example). I'm a big fan of the old masters such as Ilya Repin and Valentin Serov ... the list is really big. sorry if I bather you but really I found no resources for such information..at least not in English.
    Thank you in advance

36. The Following User Says Thank You to H2O For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    H2O,

You can try...
    I'm not sure I'll be able to answer very technical questions, but I'll refer them to those at the Academy who're knowledgeable to answer them.
    At another thread I've just suggested a link to an excellent album dedicated to Ilya Repin. I decided to copy it here as well. I'm sure it will be appreciated by many fans of his talent. Frankly, I discovered several works there that I've never seen before... breathtaking!
    So here it is again: http://vk.com/album-35292550_157900908

(waiting for your list)

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi i want to enroll into an art school in europe or america, cause here in colombia there are no art schools.

where exactly is located your academy?
    i dont know nothing about russian, will that be a problem?

you teach realism or construction method?

the advantage is that i dont need visa to go there from colombia, thats the problem with other european countries and america, they got way too much restrictions with colombian fellows.

will there be a posibility of me enrolling there and taking a part time job to finance it? (will do any job)

is a total requirement to present portfolio?
    i was not that much into drawing 6 months ago, im a graphic designer, and want to become concept artist, i want to begin my path with classical training in art, anyway i have a portfolio with really small illustration material.

Last edited by netxhunter; June 2nd, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to netxhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Netxhunter, the aswers of all your questions and more you will find in the previous posts, they will help so much if you read them , I'v red them already and have good and closer idea about the academy and preparation courses and summer school.
    the Academy located in St Petersburg, and yes you need to learn russian language to study there, but it's not a big problem since as I understood you can go with not very good Russian.
    good luck

42. The Following User Says Thank You to H2O For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Book Guru, thanks for the rich album link, I haven't seen some of these paintings before, I think everyone must take a look at this works (specially the colored studies) before he starts talking about "Superficial" realism and the " great" western modern art movements, or the first expressionism artworks or even the first abstract. Unfortunately history and politics are two big liars , people always confuse between art and the history of art which in the end is history. If we seek for the truth which Repin had talked about in the translated script (thank to you), we must look for and see it in the artworks but not read it in books.
    Regarding the technical questions I have, I'll start with asking for some information about basic materials used back in Repin's years residence at the academy. Did Repin grind and prepare his colours himself sometime? Or most of his work he used tube paint? And if so what brand of oil paint he used? And what kind of oil mediums did he use? I meant by mediums both linseed oils and Varnishes , I want to know what he used in work and taught his students about that , like the specific kind of linseed oil and varnishes , and the standard proportions of each .and the same questions for the nowadays standards at Repin Academy.
    Thank you very much for helping me… I know these simple questions although seem simple, are not easy to answer, I've known someone who studied at the academy during late 60's, and couldn't help me much. One last question for now.. have you heard about Gely korzhev? A Russian painter born 1925, and another name on my list…I recognize more than one style in his paintings, although I have only four of him one is published by Aurora Art Publishers , if you have some of his works it would be great.
    Appreciated your help very much

44. The Following User Says Thank You to H2O For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Book Guru,

Hello. My name is Francis. I am an Artist from the United States. I originally was planning on attending the incredible Repin Academy beginning the 2009-2010 school year. Lena helped me a lot, and I received me Visa and passport as well as being accepted into the Prep Course. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend at the last minute for a number of reasons.

Right now, at the end of this year I am prepared to make another attempt at attending. I'm very familiar with the process and the school in general. I have also read through this entire thread, so I can avoid asking a question that has already been answered. But I do have one main question:

I am planning on making my move out of the states December 2012. Is there anyway I can begin attending classes midway through the school year in January 2013? Perhaps if my work is reviewed and determined to be quality? Or would I have to wait until October 2013 to begin?

Thanks so much!!! Your participation in this thread has been so helpful for many people.

-francis
    www.francisvallejo.com
    fvallejo.illustration@gmail.com

Link to download my CA.org/TAD demo video "Inking Techniques with Brush, Nib, and Wash." http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...85#post2789985

blog: http://www.francisvallejo.blogspot.com/

http://francisvallejo.com/

twitter:
    http://twitter.com/francisvallejo

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Fvallejo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fvallejo View Post
    Book Guru,

Hello. My name is Francis. I am an Artist from the United States. I originally was planning on attending the incredible Repin Academy beginning the 2009-2010 school year. Lena helped me a lot, and I received me Visa and passport as well as being accepted into the Prep Course. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend at the last minute for a number of reasons.

Right now, at the end of this year I am prepared to make another attempt at attending. I'm very familiar with the process and the school in general. I have also read through this entire thread, so I can avoid asking a question that has already been answered. But I do have one main question:

I am planning on making my move out of the states December 2012. Is there anyway I can begin attending classes midway through the school year in January 2013? Perhaps if my work is reviewed and determined to be quality? Or would I have to wait until October 2013 to begin?

Thanks so much!!! Your participation in this thread has been so helpful for many people.

-francis
    www.francisvallejo.com
    fvallejo.illustration@gmail.com
    You want to attend Prep. courses in december this year, am I right?

I will be attending Prep. courses this year myself, I can ask about your situation, if Book Guru won't have time.

Btw I'm looking for a roommate to stay in Saint Peterburg Anyone maybe?)

Last edited by ChaosTheory; August 13th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope to visit the Repin Academy during a trip to St. Petersburg in Late august (26-29) - is it possible to come see the school ?

Thank you - Kevin

50. The Following User Says Thank You to kevinwueste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone able to get a hold of Book Guru? I can't seem to reach her through e-mail, no replies.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Darshu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darshu, as I know she was very busy with summer school, and barely had time to reply to someone, or update the thread.

54. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Book Guruuu, where are yoooou?

56. The Following User Says Thank You to Darshu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

where is Book Guru

Book guru , Hope you're fine. I'm still waiting for your responds... really it seems you're the engine of this thread.

58. The Following User Says Thank You to H2O For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

I joined the summer course 2012, and there somebody where speaking about a new pwogram for international students...
    It would be a one year program, (just like prep course), but without all the russian language classes, and other kinds of practice for the entrance exam.

Do you (book guru) know anything about this?
    It should apparently be launched in 2013...

(please also contact me by mail, since I'm not so often on CA.
    kontakt[at]rasmusaagaard.com )

60. The Following User Says Thank You to Rasme For This Useful Post:

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast