Ilya Repin St.Petersburg State Academy of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Liberace

They don't camp any more for his classes, the economy is not the same, hence less demand, even though the Art League of Alexandria is dirt cheap.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lena murray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hearing about the economy always worries me about how I will survive as a painter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threecharles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

surviving

Threecharles, it's a valid issue for the US, Europe might be different, I don't know.

But here you have to be either the best of the best in terms of skills, and even that just guarantees you some adjunct teaching and sporadic gallery sales. There are too many artists fighting for these diminishing teaching positions. Also colleges and universities hire less and less full-time faculty, it's all about being an adjunct here and there, and running between schools making $30-40 an hour.

Community colleges or high schools may be an option, but you have to be willing to travel to a remote spot in the first case or put yourself in physical danger in the second (there is always a demand for teachers in bad districts).

By the way US teachers in public (not private) schools can make up to $90,000 a year, believe it or not. It's a "dangerous" profession, hence a premium.

My advise to everyone make sure you learn the damn computer or something else to fall back on. I know quite a few Repin graduates in the US who are surviving thanks to graphic design. One guy (a true virtuoso draughtsman and a Repin graduate in 3 generations) is doing packaging design for Tiffany's. Another Repin husband and wife duo design textile and so on and so forth.

All that figure drawing and painting for 6 years does not help much here, when you come right down to it.

Every artist in the US at some point of their life has a hard time paying rent or buying food. I get to hear these stories every day, because I am in a position to give teaching jobs, and frankly I hate the pressure.

One time I hired someone right on the spot because the guy came with his wife and a beautiful 5 year old daughter. The guy has absolutely no American experience, they just "got off the boat". My husband told me to hire him, and I did. The story had a happy ending because the candidate turned out to be very talented, and actually became a leading theater and set designer and a tenured professor at the University of Maryland. But at that point, they were scared, I could feel it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lena murray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,

Sorry for my silence. Just came back from New York (Book Expo America).

To be or not to be...

Of course, you can watch TV and try to learn martial arts by training at home with affordable video tapes.
    Or...
    You can go to Tibet to some remote village, get up early, spend all day on practicing, eat very simple food, obey your master in even the most rediculous requests... etc etc.
    Of course, this will require money, patience, and complete dedication.

Again, you can always stay at home. Or try to find a martial arts guru on Main Street of your home town (check your local Yellow Pages, there are hundreds of them!).

It's your choice. Always was and always will remain.

//Sorry for sarcasm.//

www.4-art.org - art educational books
    www.Practicum.org - art educational portal
    guru@4-art.org - my direct e-mail
    Russian Academy of Arts thread - all about it

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those who've applied:

I'm going to the Academy tomorrow to pick up the official invitations.
    I'll send you all a private e-mail when I have them in my hands.

One of you, who's changed his passport (that person knows what I'm talking about) - I'll bring your copy to them tomorrow. I guess your invitation will be ready in about 2-3 weeks. I'll let you know. No reason to worry.

Apartment questions and other "moving to the Russian land" questions I'll answer a bit later.

Ready for Tibet, eh?

There was a sign on the Academy building, “Free Arts”. “What’s that?”, we asked our professor. – “That’s to be able to create anything, but to create what you want to.”

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you get my email, Book Guru? Nothing important, I was just enquiring about the private master classes you mentioned

I'm super excited and jealous for everyone who is going this year! Keep this thread updated with how it goes, I'd love to hear all about it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Liz Edwards For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Everyone!

For those who've applied, I've got your invitations. Will send personal e-mail letters to you later on today.

~~~

Liz,

I'm sorry for my silence.
    I was waiting because the information was uncertain.
    Now it's clear. There is not going to be any master class at the Academy for this summer, period.

Of course, we can help you to arrange a private master class with one of our art professors, but comparing to a group master class your individual lessons might be quite expensive.
    If this was your inquiry (a private master class), then I'll get into more details in a private e-mail.

~~~

About the sauce.
    (I've been receiving requests in PM and e-mail about "whatzat??")

I made some pictures while at the Academy. I'll post them later today. Though it's not that clear until you try it yourself. From a distance it looks like dry pastel, or even a chalk.
    Because they are produced locally (and they are of VERY good quality), all the information on the box is in Russian, so I yet don't know how they're called in your stores. But I assume they should be called "sauce" as this is what they are.

~~~

Latest news from the Academy.

From about 100 Prep Course students applied last year there are 40 students that will have to go through the program second time. Main reasons: starting hard, getting lazy later. Or too tired. That includes both Russian and Chinese students. There is only one person from Europe who's is under a big question mark (may be they let him be accepted for exams). I won't mention the country. The art level is not good, Russian is horrible, seems like not understanding professor's instructions at all.

Conclusion?
    Just be prepared. 9 hours a day of hard work in a foreign environment - not everyone can handle. 9 hours includes art lessons and Russian language lessons.
    Even if you're doing fine, there is alwyas a danger. As far as you see that you're more advanced than others you start taking this for granted (many do). They start to skip this and that, here and there. They let themselves relax.

One Chinese guy have missed... 59 hours of art instructions!!! They're completely sponsored by Chinese government, otherwise I can't even imagine someone paying such price and do nothing. It's hard to believe but it seems like Chinese government really spoils its young generation. (And they set up a really bad example for those who pay!)

The only time for relaxation is the end of the year, closer to exams (in April and May they're not so hard on you comparing to the rest of the year).
    But even if you don't want to apply for further studies (as a full time student), you still want to get good grades in your certificate, yes?

But those who're strong go further. That's 60 out of 100. That's a good part.
    However, something is going on wrong with discipline there. 40% is a high number, no matter whether it is a student on Chinese scholarship or not.

Until later,

B.G.

P.S. I forget to mention:
    For European and US/Canada students (in other words, "not Chinese students") they extended the deadline until the end of June. I personally guarantee it.

Last edited by Book Guru; May 31st, 2011 at 09:48 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The SAUCE thing :)

Here are the pictures of that magic sauce.
    It's used either dry or wet.
    (One thing for sure - it makes your hands all covered with its powder.)

Name:  sauce_01.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  sauce_05.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  sauce_02.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  sauce_03.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  sauce_04.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  61.2 KB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I thought I could add what I found on the internet. I think these are the closest to the U.S. version of "sauce":

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ya...awing-crayons/

"Yarka was born from a vast wealth of raw materials and a love of art, both rooted in the Russian government's support of Fine Arts and Art Education, a major part of the Russian education program for more than 75 years."

It's not a bad price, for just about $6. I have one russian artist in my figure-drawing group and she uses mainly soft pastels in earth-tones, I haven't asked her yet if she knows anything about this mysterious "sauce".

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Praemium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got it, girl! That's the right catch!

The site's description is pretty much exactly what it is.

The investigation now is over.

I really appreciate your help as I have many people asking me about this sauce because it's mentioned in our textbooks.

However, guys, don't get too crazy with this SOS thing.
    You should practice using all kinds of materials and tools, changing them all the time.
    (I just don't want you all to get too excited and dedicate all your life to this new tool.)

Edited:

One of reviewers says the following:

"Mix this product with water and you can achieve fantastic tonal washes that can still be erased if you so desire. I use it on MDF panels and it works great."

Last edited by Book Guru; June 1st, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got me thinking a lot about this preparation course I went through the whole thread I calculated that I will need around £12 000 for 1 year( 9 months). I will check out if I can get funding here in the UK.
    The good thing is that I can speak Russian and I wont need the language course.

Anyway I think its worth every penny and will be the right way to go.

_____

my sketchbook - always open to C&C

22. The Following User Says Thank You to vlad74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vlad74,

Actually, the cost should be lower than your estimate.
    In the past, the Academy has offered a good Prep Course price for those speaking Russian already.
    I'm not sure whether you've seen a post by a guy from Belgium, but he's received an estimate for studying at the Academy with a real big cut in price, due to his fluent Russian (his parents are from Russia).

My estimate (in euros):
    - 6,000 - Prep Course tuition (full year), minus Russian language (minus approx. 2,500 euro, but I need to check on this)
    - 3,400 - Apartment rental (for a really nice flat shared with another student)
    - 3,400 - Monthly expenses for the whole year (that's based on the fact that you really don't need more than $500.00/month to live a good life here).
    So I came up with pretty much the same amount, but it's in Euro, not British Pounds.
    Again, for you the total price will be different, based on your Russian language proficiency.

Btw, there is still time until the end of June to apply for Prep Courses.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the quick answer Book Guru.
    BWT thank you, Jonas Heirwegh's for starting this thread and Lena Murray for giving us additional info about the Academy. It is extremely helpful!

About the Russian language - Yes I red the posts of the guy form Belgium. The difference is that my parents are not Russians- I am originally from Bulgaria but I studied Russian at school - 7 years. I was raised watching Russian movies and programmes - so basically the Russian culture was encoded into my DNA and to be honest it is really close to my soul. Bulgaria was called the 16th republic of the USSR at that time - hahaha. This is apart from the fact that our languages are from the same Slavic group . Basically my Russian language is not proficient but I an quite good at it.
    Thanks for calculating the expenses for me. 12000 Euro are equal to £10 500 which is not a big difference. I would apply this year but I don't have the money. On top of that I have other things to sort out which will take more time than just a few months. I am planning to apply for the course next year.
    During this time I will stress on doing more drawing and painting. Ive got a friend who is great draftsman - he studied in one of the Bulgarian art schools during the communistic regime and they were really good. He will agree to give me some more lessons. It will be helpful for me to be more prepared before I go there.
    Thank again

Last edited by vlad74; June 5th, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
    _____

26. The Following User Says Thank You to vlad74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vlad74,

As long as you can understand Russian language used by our professors, it doesn't matter who your parents are.
    Btw, during your study you'll learn much art slang, which doesn't exist in "normal" Russian language.
    Even if you speak Russian fluently, I recommend visiting and reading posts at the Academy group in our social engine, vKontakte.ru (you've probably heard of that).
    Their address is easy to remember: vkontakte.ru/practicum.
    If you understand everything they say there then your Russian language is perfect (frankly, sometimes I have a hard time of figuring out what they're talking about).

There were (and still are) two countries that in Russia are traditionally called "brothers", that's Bulgaria and Serbia. We have so much in common - the same roots, the same religion, the same language group. And until the collapse of the the Soviet Union, our art academies were following the same art traditions.
    It's really great you have a friend who still carries that knowledge. If you need an advice on your portfolio you can send me some samples via e-mail. (I never visit "Sketchbook" threads... it hurts me too much.)

Good luck with your art studies.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much BookGuru.
    Before here in London I used to work with lots of Russian friends and used to know many slang words and expressions but they were not from that field.
    Thanks for the link. I will have a look. I will also buy the pdf versions of "Наброски и учебный рисунок " and "Основы рисунка" in Russian soon so I will practice my vocabulary.

You are right we have so much in common - we use the same word for you "братушки" that's why I think I will feel like at home there
    If I have any questions about my portfolio I will send you some samples for sure.
    We keep in touch.
    Thanks again.

_____

30. The Following User Says Thank You to vlad74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do any of those vkontakte.ru/practicum people post here? Seems like a shame they don't share their info with the rest of the world.
    Or do they not know English?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vlad74,

Now I really will have to sound like a sales representative (sorry!)

There is no PDF version in Russian language. The only purpose of English PDF verison was to help our international clients to comprehend the text in that textbook (Fundamentals of Drawing). Though most of them were saying the text wasn't necessary as "visuals are great", but we knew the importance of text. That's why since last November we have this teaching aid available as e-book.

Second, the "Academic Drawings and Sketches" has just been printed in two languages. But this is not a text book, it has an excellent introduction text, but all the rest are the images with our senior students academic drawings and sketches (hence the title of this book).

Sorry, if this upsets you. Of course, you don't have to buy, but if you decide to, I'll ask to send you a "братушки" discount coupon.

~~~

Hyskoa,

"Or do they not know English?"

This is the BIGGEST problem I see for the lack of communication.
    If they could speak English, this forum would have been overloaded with posts and images from Russians (imagine someone like me multiplied by thousands... I don't think CA would survice after such the Russian Art Army invasion).

But seriously, sometimes I really feel lonely here - I have a huge crowd of people on this side of the planet who express themselves much better, who tell about our Academy much more interesting and valuable things, who are more objective in their opinions than I am. Or simply smarter than I am. And less female than I am.
    I really need a good English speaking Russian man here. No, my husband doesn't speak English either.

Last edited by Book Guru; April 19th, 2013 at 05:49 AM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worries The physical book is thousand times better than the pdf anyway.
    First I will buy "Основы рисунка" Later on will get "Наброски и учебный рисунок " . You can send it to any country I guess. Do you know how much it will cost if you sent it to the UK?

"братушки" discount coupon. Hahaha. That would be great. Thank you.

btw I just registered at www.4-art.org

_____

36. The Following User Says Thank You to vlad74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vlad74,

You can check the price at the website, but I think it's about 17 euro.
    Again, the total price with a coupon will be less.

And you'll receive your free PDF file, no matter whether you want it or not.

Last edited by Book Guru; April 19th, 2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: website links have been updated

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Book Guru. It is not expensive at all. Thanks for the coupon discount
    PDF version as well is always good

_____

40. The Following User Says Thank You to vlad74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today is a BIG day at the Academy - DIPLOMA DEFENSE.

I'll post some images from it later (this time I was making them personally, plus I hope to receive more coverage from our partners at Practicum.org).

And two days ago there was another Evaluation (the previous one was in January, remember?).

I personnally am very much impressed by the overall level of students. Definitely better than in January and much better than last year.

I'm going to post only several works, mostly portraits. There are HUNDREDS of images worth to see, but they all are at the social net www.vkontakte.ru/practicum:

- Painting faculty - drawings and paintings, 3rd-5th year study (239 images)

- Painting faculty - Monumental paintings, 3rd-5th year study (130 images)

- Painting faculty - 1-2 year study (317 images) - You'll be impressed!

- Graphic Arts faculty (166 images) - beautiful watercolor works!

- Theater Art Department (68 images)

- Department of Historical and Religious Painting + Restoration Department (47 images)

- Sculpture Faculty (53 images)

- Architecture Faculty (120 images)

Again, to view the images you need to register, but it's a very fast and simple process. The registration is by invitation. Please let me know and I'll invite you.

All the images down below present works made by 1st and 2nd year students.

Name:  painting_faculty_1n2year_066.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  137.7 KB

~~~

Name:  painting_faculty_1n2year_013.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  159.8 KB

~~~

Name:  painting_faculty_1n2year_036.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  233.9 KB

~~~

Name:  painting_faculty_1n2year_042.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  183.7 KB

~~~

Name:  painting_faculty_1n2year_052.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  221.7 KB

~~~

Name:  painting_faculty_1n2year_056.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  115.5 KB

~~~

Name:  painting_faculty_1n2year_watercolor_057.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  133.1 KB

~~~

Name:  painting_faculty_1n2year_watercolor_under_glass_058.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  115.6 KB

~~~

(the last two are watercolors; the very last one is very peculiar - watercolor under the glass, thus is unusual effect - see windows, etc)

~~~

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent pieces. I really enjoy them. The last 2 have very nice 3D quality to them. I think it is the reflection and the transparency of the glass that helps creating the effect - it is just an illusion but works very nicely.

Actually I can see the images without registering. I wouldn't mind an invitation of course.
    Thank you Kat.

_____

44. The Following User Says Thank You to vlad74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The difference between what they showed from the graphic's department a half a year ago and now? Seems SO much better! How does that even happen! And a lot of it seems to really be first and second year? Holy wow.

And seeing all of those interesting model set ups... Exciting!

(Also, I am a member of the group despite never getting around to ask for an invite. Maybe they opened it to be public? I looked there once and membership was only a click away, and not needed for viewing the photos anyways.)

46. The Following User Says Thank You to dmitri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vlad74, Dmitri,

vKontakte.ru works again??? That's great news!
    Everyone was upset when they've changed it to "by invitation only", so I think the company has been bombarded by so many complains that they decided to switch the "on" button back again.

It's excellent, it means so many people will be able to see all the images!
    And you're also welcome to participate in all the hot discussions there - if you speak Russian, of course...

Yes, I was also very excited when I've seen the works at Evaluation. I guess they studied really well as the result is really impressve.

- "And a lot of it seems to really be first and second year?"
    - Yes. when it says "1st and 2nd year" - all the posted works present the works made by students of only 1st and 2nd years of study.
    When it says "3-5" - it presents works by students from 3rd, 4rth and 5th years of study.
    Btw, all the works that I've posted here are from the 1st year. Nice, yes?

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting news (Reuters):

"Christie's claimed a new auction record for Russian artist Ilya Repin on Monday when his 1875 canvas "A Parisian Cafe" fetched 4.5 million pounds at the start of Russian art week in London."

The previous record, as I remember, was for Nikolay Feshin's "A Little Cowboy".

Name:  Repin_A_Parisian_Cafe.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  45.9 KB

~~~

And Repin's studies for that painting:

Name:  Repin_A_Parisian_Cafe_studies.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  154.3 KB

Last edited by Book Guru; June 10th, 2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Added images

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats impressive. Real money for real art.

btw I couldn't the way to participate in the discussions. I still need to be registered in order to post something.

_____

52. The Following User Says Thank You to vlad74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vlad,

Yes. That's why we call it "realism".

If you want to join the club - send me your cell number, I'll confirm the inviation and they'll send you the pass code to your number. Very easy.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Book Guru and everybody else, thanks for contributing! I really appreciate it to keep this thread so alive.

I also went through all the works on vKontakte, impressive of some 1st and 2nd year students!

I found some new Repin works on that Christie auction site. You can watch it full resolution but its in flash and you have to scroll. So I took screenshots and assembled them in photoshop

Here is the first:

Name:  RepinSketchLow.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  494.5 KB

More later.

56. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Heirwegh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry for my silence, being busy.

To those applied and being accepted, I'll check this week on two most important questions:

1. When do you need to arrive to Russia (at least what week the study will begin);
    2. What are your options for apartment rental (will give you phones/e-mails for English speaking contacts)

All the other general questions, I'll be answering in this thread as well.
    Keep posting...

Those waiting for my personal response via e-mail - I'll answer this week as well.
    Just please remind me if I overlooked smth.

58. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Everyone,

Answers to those who've applied for Prep Courses and were accepted.

1. You need to be in St.Petersburg by the date that states in your invitation.
    Studies start October 10, so by then you definitively need to be in Russia.
    During first days here you'll need to do some paperwork, to have an evaluation exam (I wrote about this A LOT, no reason to worry, no one is going to judge you, it's only to evaluate your level).

2. In regards of apartments, I'm still figuring this out. As I've never done this before I want to be absolutely sure that when you contact a certain agency they'll be able to speak English and respond to your e-mails and phone calls.

3. If you wants to bring a relative to stay with you and don't want him/her to apply for another visa every 3 months, there is an option to take Russian lessons at the Academy (2,200 euro). This way the Academy will fill in the papers for your relative as a "student", and will provide him/her a student visa, which is valid for 1 year.

4. For your scholarship, this is the only official paper the Academy provides. You need to translate and notarize it in your country. The Academy doesn't translate and notarize any papers and provides originals only in Russian.

5. Here is the program of Prep Courses:
    - Drawing = 360 hours
    - Painting = 540 hours
    - Composition = 108 hours
    - Russian Language = 540 hours
    Btw, I've tried to use a calculator, and I was convinced one more time that you'll be really busy!

Please let me know if I missed smth.

60. The Following User Says Thank You to Book Guru For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast