Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Here's another figger drawing, this one's still in-progress. We're doing a 9 hour pose down at the studio and I'm probably gonna do it in oil, so this is the first 3 hour session and I focused just on getting the drawing in place, then I'll transfer it to canvas and do the final painting in oil, so that should be pretty fun.

Overall I think it's in a good spot, I'm happy with how the structure of the head turned out, and some stuff in the body is working pretty well I think. Still gonna need some tweaking, but it's a start.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's some sketches from a surprise figure session we had yesterday, starting off with gestures and then doing specific studies of hands, feet, legs, and head. It was definitely helpful and showed me a few key weak areas in my figure drawing, so I'm looking forward to starting my Bridgman rampage next week and fixing them and hopefully by the end of next semester I'll be able to draw a near-professional figure from imagination, just in time for character design class.

Thanks
    What do you mean all I've posted is figure drawings for 3 days in a row? Don't you like figure drawings? Geez gimme a break, I just figured you'd prefer this to cast drawing updates every day.

Now that that's out of the way, here's the results of the second session of our 3-session 9 hour pose. I transferred my graphite drawing from the previous session on to a canvas, inked it to preserve the lines, and then painted on top in oil. My main goal was to see and apply the color really well, and although it got a little higher chroma than I intended I'd rather be able to see it and go too far, then learn to reel it back in to a more realistic range.

Next session I'll probably try and focus on getting the forms to work better and hopefully it'll turn this in to a pretty decent study. Really enjoying the process so far though, it's much more successful than my previous two figure paintings. Practice practice!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    i love you man.

Thanks
    Haha, I feel the love dude. Thanks. xP

--

Aaand an update on cast drawing!
    ALMOST done. The tone in the cast is all smoothed out now so it's 95% finished, I just need to go back and add all the little cracks and details, double check all the terminators, make sure all the edges are working good, and then the cast part is done, then I just need to smooth out the background (which is a big task in itself) and this thing will be dee oh enn ee done. About 80 hours in to it, 5-10 more to go, the light is at the end of the tunnel woohoo!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andantonius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,033 Posts
    I was oggling at this before i left the studio today, looking sooooo good man, hot damn! awesome stuff.

Thanks
    You have some good illus..coloring is really good and nice studies as well.Your oil paintings are amzing(loving it) keep up the good work.take care=))
    My sketchbook.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=203100&page=7

Awesome artist and friends

Nkristian

Thanks
    Kanstod- Wai thank ya sir! I hope your oggleagle was highly oggleable! Woohoo for cast drawring!

strangedawn- Thanks very much, 'tis much appreciated! : )

--

Here it is again after our third session, so it's 9 hours in now. I think I managed to fix a lot of the issues it had after the lest session, the forms and values are working better I think, but dear gravy my handling of paint is still pretty bad. I can do chunky, and I can do smooth on a portrait, but getting it smooth, the right mark, and in the right spot on such small forms is really challenging. Gonna need a lot more practice, but I look forward to it cause this is way fun. And, if nothing else, I think this turned out better than my last oil figure painting, so woohoo!

Thanks
    Summer break hohmahgosh! And so begins the Bridgmania, I'm gonna copy every drawing in Bridgman's' Complete Guide to Drawing from Life in the next week or two, which'll be about 25-50 pages a day (usually 3-5 drawings per page). So far I've gotten through 40 and had a blast, learned a ton, and am already feeling more confident with the figure form-wise. Gonna keep doing this, and try to apply it with some studies of actual figures, then when that's done probably go through Stephen Peck's book.

I am so ready to not suck at figure drawing.

Thanks
    Here's some sketches for Environment of the Week #167. This'll be my first environment in a while, and my first EoW ever, so I'm pretty excited. Got 10 days to get 'er done, gonna need to do a lot of research and referencing. Should be pretty fun!

And then just continuing with my Bridgmania, I filled up 7 pages in my sketchbook and drew 71 figures today, still learning a ton from it. I smell some improvement on the horizon, woohoo!

It's nice to be able to draw all day long.

Thanks
    This is an amazing sketchbook. I'm seeing a lot of improvement, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Umbravita- Thanks very much!

---

Here's more Bridgmania, got to the section on heads today, which is pretty sweet. Bridgman heads are pretty much the best thing ever to study; they're so clear and planar, I think I'm finally starting to understand how the plane breaks of the cheeks work. Didn't get through as many pages as I would've liked today, but ah well, I've got time.

Thanks
    How long do you draw for each day, out of curiosity?

Thanks
    Great updates Jon!! Like all the TAD students who have been busting arse your progress is splendiferious That figure painting reminds me of Jane's approach to painting. Keep pushing man. The only thing that I think you could work on is how your personal point of view can affect your brush set that you are using. Giving your own brushes a custom personal flair will help your digital work to start to read as an "Andantonius" piece. Keep pushing man! I'll see you on the interwebs

Thanks
    Umbravita- It depends on the day, usually I'm in class for 6 hours and will draw for another 4-8 hours after that. I try to be sure I make something of value every single day though, whether it's a successful image or a successful study.

Josh- Thanks man, glad ya dig it. And yeah I agree, I've been exploring brushwork a lot lately, so we'll see if I can settle down in to anything. Gonna need some more exploration first though, gotta get my skills in the right spot before I nail down a style.

---

Sorry for not updating yesterday, had a really tough day as I had to put my dog of 14 years to sleep. You wouldn't think it would be such a big deal to lose a pet, but it's hard to come home and know that he's not there, cause he was always there. Maybe I'm just sentimental.

Either way, here's a sketch I did yesterday to vent the mood, I dunno if I'll finish it, but perhaps.

Have a good one, and remember: life is short, take nothing for granted. Everything is borrowed, and one day we'll have to give it back.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Andantonius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sound words jon and so true. Hope you are doing well! Losing any friend, pet or fellow brother is always tough.

Thanks

Thanks
    So sorry about the loss of your companion. I know what you mean about how he was always there. That's a lovely sketch you did, and you're rocking the Bridgman studies!

Thanks
    Alex- Indeed, but life doth go on.

The_Flying_Dutchman- Thanks very much!

Caitlin- Thanks a bunch, it means a lot! : )

--

Again sorry for not updating yesterday, this time it's cause I went to a wedding, so nyeah.

But anywho, here's a 3-hour portrait from today's figure session, done in nupastel. As always, the drawing is the worst part of it, I really need to punch myself in the face and stop rendering and coloring everything and just spend the time getting the drawing as good as it can possibly be. Should probably just go back to charcoal for a while in figure sesions.

But regardless I think there's some fun stuff happening with the design and color, 3 hours reasonably well spent. Plus it was fun.

Thanks
    Here's some work on my EoW piece, getting the composition figured out, gonna do one final check on it and then start bringing in reference and color and try and get it looking fancytastic. Gonna try to incorporate some more ideas in to it as well, but mainly I just want to make a successful environment as I've never really done one that turned out good before, hah.

Thanks
    Here's something new, a voyage in to the world of the third dimension! I downloaded Sculptris today, which is a free program made by the same folks that made Zbrush; it's basically just a simplified version of Zbrush from what I can tell.

But yeah, I just started messing about with it for about an hour and this is what came of it, surprisingly fun and very intuitive to use, especially since this is my first time trying organic modeling of any kind. I can see it being very useful to use for studies and see just how well I understand forms, which should help a lot with 2D work. I want to try doing a full figure sculpture sometime soon and see what comes of it.

im in ur 3d space, explorin ur frontier.

Thanks
    That portrait came out nice man, not sure if i ever saw the final. Be careful of your shape and stroke economy on the EOW, something I've really been trying to pay attention too in the enviro stuff I've been working on. Its not how much you say, but the little you do and how well thats designed. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanks, Alex! Glad ya dig it. Totally agree with the shape and stroke economy too; it's pretty spotty overall. Might need to just start it over at the thumbnail stage and work with clearer shapes, as I'm not especially liking it atm, haha.

--

Edit- Added a rendered shot of the back view!

Here's some more experimenting with Sculptris. I spent the whole afternoon putzing around with it and having a blast, and this is the result. I was gonna do a copy of the Belvedere torso, but decided it'd be more fun and less tedious to just make one from imagination, and I'm pretty satisfied with the result.

It's a lot of fun to mold and sculpt everything out, Sculptris is really intuitive. I think it definitely helped solidify some anatomy troubles I was having too, it's quite easy to figure out how all the forms are wedging together when you can navigate them in 3D space and don't have to worry about a bunch of overlapping lines. Definitely gonna try and do things like this every now and than.

After I was through sculpting it (which took about 6 hours), I brought it in to Kerkythea for final rendering, which I think I'm starting to figure out. I had a few mishaps and had to re-position my light due to me not paying attention to what objects I was moving halfway across the world, but I think the final render turned out pretty lifelike, so that was fun to experiment with.

And oddly, I think anatomically this is one of the most accurate things I've ever done from imagination, which has gotten me to thinking that I've got enough knowledge to draw figures from my head, but have gotten stuck in muscle memory formulas that I need to get out of, hopefully all these Bridgman studies will help with that.
    Last edited by Andantonius; June 29th, 2011 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks
    Portrait came out beautiful Jon. I wasn't really thinking of style more of what shapes or brushes interest you that are different from the standard set of ps or painter brushes. Kind of like how Android had us make custom brush sets.

Thanks
    came out nice man! been goofing around with sculptris as well, tis an awesome program. I just need to figure out how to put bodies on all these heads. hehe

Thanks
    Josh- Thanks, man! And I hear what your saying; definitely gonna spend some time developing a brush library to get the effects I personally want to achieve. I think ultimately though it just comes down to your (mental) shape library and the way in which you carve them.

Alex- Thanks d00d! It's a pretty freaking awesome program, I wasn't really excited about having to take 3D electives in our majors, but after messing around with Sculptris I'm actually really looking forward to it.
    And to add bodies to head, just pull out a blob and sculpt away. 8D

--

I decided to ditch the sketch I had for the water EoW cause the composition wasn't really floating my boat, so I switched to earth instead and started this up today, feeling much happier with it so far. It's still quite WIP, there's a lot of messy shapes and brush strokes and unrefined elements that'll need to be cleaned up, and it might need some kind of iconic element besides the tree bridge to push the idea, but we'll see.

I feel like I'm making some good discoveries for markmaking on this one too; my composition teacher was scolding me all semester for my mushy digital painting, and I think I'm finally starting to understand what he meant and crispen things up, as well as group and mass values. So I think this is gonna be a fun breakthrough piece when it's done.

Thanks
    Love the color on that this environment! It's got great atmosphere. The shapes are a little bit mushy like you said though. Also, I'd watch out for evenly spaced elements like the 3 branches on the bottom of the right tree trunk and the three trees in the bg on the right.

Thanks
    Basa beat me to it! but yeah, what he said also, I'd snag some reference for those tree roots, I tried painting such things without it a while back and without stylizing the shit out of them, the shapes are just too sporadic and unpredictable to paint out of the head.

Thanks
    That enviro is coming along great Jon. Colours are good enough to eat and are not feeling mushy at all now. Reference is always good like the others have said. When doing concept illustrations like this be it characters, environments, creatures, ect.. Some point in the painting decide what is the design selling point. Which is kind of like to focal point but some how different I think (still trying to understand what Feng Zhu means entirely by this). Any way everything should reinforce the selling point which seems to be the the green glow under the tree so its the big pay off. I'm sure you have a good idea bout this stuff already, just wanted to give you another context. Looking forward to the finish.

Thanks
    Kielbasa- Thanks very much for the compliments and feedback; even spacing is something I've really got to learn to watch for, hah. Tried to fix it up for ze final! Thanks!

Laxel- Thanks, mang! Totally agree with the ref, I gathered a bunch of 'em and proceeded to not look at for that first part, tried to make better use of it today, hopefully it's looking more natural now.

Josh- Thanks, glad ya like 'em! Interesting thoughts too; I wonder if maybe he means the selling point is more on the idea side, focal point is more compositional. Definitely good advice either way, though.

--

Aaaaand here's my final for EoW 167! It was a ton of fun working on this, definitely gonna try to get in on more of 'em!

I still need to work on the ideation and set set dressing side of environments, but I think I'm starting to settle in to a flavor of executing them. Funtimes!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast